B1G | Page 53 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
What I don't buy: that anyone cares 25-50 years out. Who knows what things look like then? 5-10, 10-15, I can buy projecting out that much. No body projects out 25-50. It's so absurd it makes me think the person is joking.
Only weak point with that report. Otherwise it makes as much sense as anything. Delaney should go after Virginia and UNC with UNC the target and Virginia the bridge! I still don't understand the logic of GT. If UNC doesn't budge, then Virginia and UConn would be a great second choice. What Delaney loses in tv markets he makes up in the strongest bb conference (not as strong as what UNC would bring) and regional competition. And no disrespect to Frank, but the inroads into the Southeast for football recruiting won't be made by getting UNC, Virginia, and GT. That is fantasy thinking.

Reaction Score
Only weak point with that report. .

Delany said it himself.

Delany added that the Big Ten wouldn’t rush into its decision because, “You’re trying to figure out what you’re going to be for the next 25 to 50 years.”

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sp...ten-commissioner-jim-delany-no-news-here.html

"You're not trying to find somebody you want to spend a year with. You're trying to find out who you are going to be (with) for the next 25-50 years."

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...leagues-that-expansion-is-not-on-fast-track/1

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Delany said it himself.

Delany added that the Big Ten wouldn’t rush into its decision because, “You’re trying to figure out what you’re going to be for the next 25 to 50 years.”

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sp...ten-commissioner-jim-delany-no-news-here.html
Then it was the only weak thing Delaney said.:) Projecting ten years out is a stretch. But I understand his hyperbole. He wants people to know he's thinking long term. I think stating that would have been better than putting a number down, particularly a number as large as 25 to 50 years in a period of history where change is daily.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
BuffaloLion also wrote:

As you say, "a big if". But if we're JUST comparing the 3 northeast schools, UConn is a no brainer.

I hate to get also nelsonmuntz and negative but saying UConn is a no brainer is like the kiss of death.

Other than that, I love the post.

25-50 years out may be the one thing that gets us in so I'm not going to argue against it.

Reaction Score
I wonder if there will be CFB in 25 years.

That's a very smart thing to wonder on many fronts. Safety and being used for others to profit are two, lawsuits in progress there. The results of these, win or lose, will bring top HS football players to make other decisions... And someone will be there, seeing the money, to offer an alternative. NFLDL ...?

I'm not a huge college football fan so I am biased... But I hate that uconn's field hockey team, for eg, may have to travel to New Orleans or Tulsa to play a match or whatever they call it. Is that really feasible monetarily? I already know it's not smart in terms of their studies / academics. Sad state of affairs.

Reaction Score
except for Cuse,and to a lesser degree Pitt, Louisville,and even BC.
The only thing we have in common with the ACC is basketball.
We have more culturial ties to the midwest especially Ohio and Mich.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
You're forgetting the tobacco in the Hartford valley. We could argue that we are part of tobacco road!:)

Reaction Score
Thats cigar tobacco not cigarette. We have more in common with Cuba.

You are forgetting the TV sets between Springfield and Greenwich, plus the money in Fairfield county. The shenk and the Burt came from hedge fund money in Fairfield county. There is a lot of money her.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Historicall this is true, however over the past 20 years, the connection from Northeast to VA, NC, SC, GA and FL have grown much stronger while I would say the connections to the midwest are flat or have declined. Far more people have migrated to the sunbelt from the northeast during this period than to the midwest. In time, the binding of the northeast and southeast will grow.... The advent of air conditioning has ushered in a new age - and to a lesser extent the new age has been expediated by cheap land in the south and right to work laws - but thats a whole other tangent...

Reaction Score
It actually started 60 years ago( Didn't you ever hear the expression "Don't go South on me"
Comes from the loss of New England Textile jobs.
The Irony is these same jobs are now in Mexico, or the far east.
Cheap labor(child labor) trumps right to work laws.
That industry was lightly unionized and low paid when it was in the North
But is was more like the jobs leaving not so much an immgration.
Other then retirees looking for lower cost of living places has there been a substantial loss of people to the Carolinas.
I moved to AZ for that reason. I coulld pay crazy proberty tax in Ct or actually enjoy my retirement.
Americans have even moved to Mexico for that reason.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Which group are we a better fit with? State Land Grant Universities shown in bold.

Big Ten

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Purdue University
University of Maryland at College Park
Michigan State University
University of Minnesota
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
The Ohio State University
The Pennsylvania State University
University of Wisconsin–Madison
Northwestern
Indiana
Michigan
Iowa

ACC

North Carolina State University at Raleigh
Clemson University
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Wake Forest
Duke
UNC
UVA
BC
Syracuse
Pitt
Louisville
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Miami

Reaction Score
Plus, in an earlier post, he said that Delany has a report that shows this.

"UConn would end up being a gold mine in the Big Ten. That may suprise some people, but the recently done study Delany did was EXTREMELY positive looking 25 to 50 years out."
You may not realize it, but UConn's campus is only half the distance from Boston that Morgantown is to Charleston. UConn is actually 55 miles closer to Boston than it is to New York City. Not only does UConn have a market presence in Boston, but they absolutely blow every other New York City area team out of the water with their New York City basketball ratings.

UConn and Hartford (where they play football) has easy access to the rest of New England, and, if they were given a Big Ten presence, would deliver the entire of New England to the Big Ten. BC would become even less relevant than they are now. You are comparing a state flagship institution with basically no other competition in their own state to a private institution with competiting loyalities from numerous other colleges withing their own city.

The potential of UConn 25 to 50 years out if they are in the Big Ten is off the charts. Within 5 years, if the Big Ten added BOTH Virginia AND UConn, the Big Ten would probably dominate College Basketball having locked up the rich recruiting grounds from New York City to Richmond.

The Big Ten would be absolutely out of their mind to take Boston College over UConn.

I have to say that the big!0 would love us for the untapped New England Market...

Reaction Score
I wonder if there will be CFB in 25 years.

Knowing the Liberals in Washington, they might want disabiled people to play... maybe in 25 years, Washington will force you to play a BLIND QB, because if you don't you'd be sued for discrimination on the ADA act.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
Knowing the Liberals in Washington, they might want disabiled people to play... maybe in 25 years, Washington will force you to play a BLIND QB, because if you don't you'd be sued for discrimination on the ADA act.
I know, give those lazy bastards a wheelchair ramp and they take a mile.

Is there a gene that makes certain people steer every conversation into paranoid slippery slope land?

Reaction Score
I am buying into Buffalo Lion. We will be "cloud free" after the NCAA tourney. Maybe, hopefully, we get a call then. Hopefully the women can win it for a little more mojo in our tank.

I can set up a conference call line and send out outlook invites if it will help. JD, please let me know.

Reaction Score
This is where I miss HFD...

RedditCFB (@RedditCFB)
3/14/13, 10:55 AM
The Big10 conference as Simpson's characters i.imgur.com/N7Alr77.jpg

image.jpg

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Well, since the Boneyard lets mentally disabled people comment (as evidenced by your post), it's only fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyThief

Top Bottom