B1G | Page 44 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Doesn't the 18 school target infer that the B1G would be going for GT, UNC, UVA and Duke (i.e., the AAU schools of the ACC)? Under this scenario, it would seem that we'd end up in a conference with what's left (i.e., the best 18 remaining remants of BE/ACC/Big 12) when all is said and done....and we'd be in 1 of the 4 "power conferences".

I can definitely live with that.
i disagree... if that happens the acc is dead and certainly not a power conference.
unless you figure the big12 grabs some schools and uconn is inclued.

Reaction Score
We'd be the only athletic department with an FBS-level football program, besides BC, that can provide hockey for the B1G Conference. I'd have to think hockey matters at least somewhat to the B1G. And they know very well we'd provide quality basketball.

Reaction Score
i disagree... if that happens the acc is dead and certainly not a power conference.
unless you figure the big12 grabs some schools and uconn is inclued.

That was my point..what's left of the Big 12 (Note: Some teams could get picked off by the PAC12, B1G and/or SEC) will combine with the best of what's left of the BE and ACC. So if there are 4, 18 school conferences...UConn will be in a "top 4" conference.

Reaction Score
I never understand the argument that they should expand south because the population is growing. Even with growth its a fraction of the size of the northeast. I know someone posted actual numbers the other day to prove this point but im far too lazy to dig it up.

The only state in the Northeast that dwarfs the south is New York (assuming Florida is a non-starter for B10 expansion). Adding NY to New England's population nets you about 34m. Georgia, Virginia, and NC's total population is about 28m. If Delany looks northwards for expansion, it wouldn't be because of the larger markets, simply a difference in strategy and/or inability to crack the ACC code further south than Maryland.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The only state in the Northeast that dwarfs the south is New York (assuming Florida is a non-starter for B10 expansion). Adding NY to New England's population nets you about 34m. Georgia, Virginia, and NC's total population is about 28m. If Delany looks northwards for expansion, it wouldn't be because of the larger markets, simply a difference in strategy and/or inability to crack the ACC code further south than Maryland.

There are 8 major conference programs in Georgia, Virginia and North Carolina. There are BC, UConn and Syracuse in New York/New England. Furthermore, Connecticut and New York both have PCI's that dwarf any state in the south. Does BMW want to advertise in Connecticut or North Carolina?

Reaction Score
The Big 10's model doesn't seem to need dominance in a marketplace, simply access. Georgia Tech gets them on Atlanta television sets even if the Bulldogs have the hearts and minds of Georgia. And this being college sports, is BMW where the advertising money is coming from? We aren't exactly talking the same demo as Mad Men or something.

Regardless, my point stands, market size won't determine where the Big 10 expands. Mostly because the 3 southern states are almost on par with the untouched corners of the northeast (probably larger if we consider NY as already semi-breeched territory). If Delany turns to the northeast it will be to woo Notre Dame with BC or to simply cement NYC with UConn. Not because northeastern markets are so much larger.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So, folks, let's get this straight. In the last decade, only Boston U. and Georgia Tech have been added to the AAUs rank of 60 schools. They don't add schools easily. UConn's total research is well below AAU standards currently. Herbst wants to raise research. That's great. So does everyone else. The idea that she's going to raise it 100% (Boston U. levels) in 2 years is as likely as UConn winning the SEC championship game in 2 years.
Maybe, but I think the fact that UConn is so underperforming for university of our size, that progress will be fairly easy now that we've got a president who is focused upon it. In the end though, I'd suggest that it really doesn't matter whether this research push we gets an us AAU invite. Connecticut's premier (public) university ought to be more productive in terms of research. I see Herbst efforts as entirely laudatory and appropriate, regardless of whether it helps us in conference affiliation. I'm a fan of our sports teams but I see the university continued academic improvement as job 1. That may not be the most popular opinion on this board, but academics is our core mission. Coincidently, universities that committed to excellence can, and often do, do well in both.

Reaction Score
Maybe, but I think the fact that UConn is so underperforming for university of our size, that progress will be fairly easy now that we've got a president who is focused upon it. In the end though, I'd suggest that it really doesn't matter whether this research push we gets an us AAU invite. Connecticut's premier (public) university ought to be more productive in terms of research. I see Herbst efforts as entirely laudatory and appropriate, regardless of whether it helps us in conference affiliation. I'm a fan of our sports teams but I see the university continued academic improvement as job 1. That may not be the most popular opinion on this board, but academics is our core mission. Coincidently, universities that committed to excellence can, and often do, do well in both.

UConn is among the best state schools of this size. I'm not sure you can call it underperforming. It's mostly a matter of state resources and investment. The state simply hasn't put that much money behind UConn. Only half the AAU schools are public, but many of them come from California (which used to subsidize higher education pretty well).

CL82

Reaction Score
Thanks Upstater. I get the sense that research really hasn't been a a focal point at the university. That makes me believe that there are low hanging fruit opportunities. It sounds like you believe that market for research is well penetrated that there isn't much for Connecticut to go after. I'm not so sure that it is the case, but I defer to your knowledge in the area. It seems to me that there are always emerging areas. Rather than compete with established universities UConn could position itself to be a leader in an emerging area(s). Since it isn't bogged down with existing facilities and researchers, it ought to be more able to extablish itself in new areas. Does that make sense? I think the State would be wise to promote this as it is a job creation engine and the defense industry is likely to be in decline.

Reaction Score
Thanks Upstater. I get the sense that research really hasn't been a a focal point at the university. That makes me believe that there are low hanging fruit opportunities. It sounds like you believe that market for research is well penetrated that there isn't much for Connecticut to go after. I'm not so sure that it is the case, but I defer to your knowledge in the area. It seems to me that there are always emerging areas. Rather than compete with established universities UConn could position itself to be a leader in an emerging area(s). Since it isn't bogged down with existing facilities and researchers, it ought to be more able to extablish itself in new areas. Does that make sense? I think the State would be wise to promote this as it is a job creation engine and the defense industry is likely to be in decline.

There are definitely emerging areas. Or else Boston U. wouldn't have been added. All I'm saying is that the competition is fierce. Everyone is touting Herbst plans, yet 3 other state schools I know have the exact same blueprint. The state legislature in NY has passed bills on these matters sourcing funding for such expansion. I've been in meetings as recently as a month ago discussing the feasibility of a 40% across the board increase in research in the next 5 years.

The part that gets me is that all these schools talk a big game while their states are cutting funding to them, and the Federal gov't cuts research. As Bob Dylan said, "you don't have to be a weatherman..."

Reaction Score
Upstater - we get that all state universities have a goal of increasing their research activity, winning more federally funded grants, etc. I am sure UCONN is not alone in this regard. What sets the UCONN plans apart - and lends greater weight to them IMHO - is that they are backed by approved spend of $1B in taxpayer money to improve research facilities (UHC and Storrs tech park) between now and 2017, as well as a funded plan to hire 500 new professors (~350 tenure track), with a design to lure established research teams from America's top universities. When Herbst says that it is "doable" she does so knowing that she has a stacked deck.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Tweet from our fav MH insider ver3...

"And just like that there's a nugget!
Secret Meeting tonight up north?
4 special unofficial guests?"

I think we are in, guys!!!

Reaction Score
I think there is a big issue for a southern school to consider joining a mostly northern league. Culture and weather differences could have an impact on recruiting. many southern kids don't want to be playing football in December in Minnesota or Ohio.
I also don't think UNC or UVA are all that interested in becoming little fish in a big pond, if they can help it. they may not have a choice if everything unravels, but I'm guessing they are not proactively looking to leave the ACC. I also think that UNC would go to the SEC before the Big10. UVA is on the border culturally and geographically.

Partly why I'd be shocked if GT went to the big10. good luck selling georgia recruits on playing games in the cold up north.

Reaction Score
I like how this is a "secret meeting". So when nothing happens he can just say it was a "secret meeting" which is why nobody knows about it.
That is the beauty of mh3 u just never ever know

Reaction Score
Connect the dots here boys... Warde Manuel will not be at the Big East AD's meeting..... Secret Big 10 meeting up north..... see where this is going......

Reaction Score
Connect the dots here boys... Warde Manuel will not be at the Big East AD's meeting..... Secret Big 10 meeting up north..... see where this is going......
Too bad that didn't say the secret meetings were in the far east instead of up north. Maybe the china trip is a front...do they even have donuts in china?

Reaction Score

Yup. And those 4 teams are VA, Cuse, Uconn and BCU. Lock up the northeast.

CL82

Reaction Score
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Oh believe me, I am connecting them.

Reaction Score
Yup. And those 4 teams are VA, Cuse, Uconn and BCU. Lock up the northeast.
I posted my dream b1g conference a while back. It was this then add nd and unc for 20 once you can. 4 pods of 5.
B1g east division Ne pod uconn/cuse/bc/psu/osu se pod rutty/nd/uva/unc/umd
B1g west division great lakes pod mich/msu/indiana/purdue/illinois nw pod wisc/neb/nw/iowa/minny

Pipedream but man it would be sick

Reaction Score
I think there is a big issue for a southern school to consider joining a mostly northern league. Culture and weather differences could have an impact on recruiting. many southern kids don't want to be playing football in December in Minnesota or Ohio.
I also don't think UNC or UVA are all that interested in becoming little fish in a big pond, if they can help it. they may not have a choice if everything unravels, but I'm guessing they are not proactively looking to leave the ACC. I also think that UNC would go to the SEC before the Big10. UVA is on the border culturally and geographically.

Partly why I'd be shocked if GT went to the big10. good luck selling georgia recruits on playing games in the cold up north.

Since we're talking about weather and cultural migrations to the south here, I guess scientific variables should be mentioned. The south region around Atlanta, E. Tenn., Alabama and Miss. is projected to become a drought region in the next 20-dd years. You will see a big counter migration soon. Lobbyists for these states are looking to sue the midwestern states over the Great Lakes compact because they see those freshwater lakes as federal property.

Reaction Score
While MHver3's tweets may serve to provide fantastical hope for many of us, we would be so lucky if we were invited to be at any secret meeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom