B1G | Page 43 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
ND would gladly join the ACC remnants + UConn and Cincy to remain independent.

ND to the championship this year has vindicated its model.

Brian Kelly has vindicated the model. Basically, one if the top 3 coaches in college football can get ND to a title game. Not sure they can count on that after their last drought.

Reaction Score
SIAP but I just read this little tidbit from a B1G mailblog at ESPN dated 12/26.

"Mike from Manila, Philippines, writes: UConn is making a strong commitment to get an AAU invite within the next 2 years. Assuming they become an AAU school, would UConn be considered as a possible B1G candidate (i.e., to help lock up NYC market and gain access to the New England market)?

Adam Rittenberg: Mike, that's an interesting note about Connecticut and the AAU. It certainly would make the school more attractive to the Big Ten. The big question is whether the Big Ten would rather strengthen itself in New England or make a push to the south, where population is growing, there are more elite recruits, college football is bigger, etc. I'm not dismissing the New England market, but college football really doesn't resonate in the Northeast. You already have a bit of a presence with Rutgers, but wouldn't it make more sense to try to create a presence in the Carolinas or even Georgia? I'm not saying there's one right answer, but I would be more interested in pursuing other ACC schools -- North Carolina, Georgia Tech, Virginia -- than UConn."

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
SIAP but I just read this little tidbit from a B1G mailblog at ESPN dated 12/26.

"Mike from Manila, Philippines, writes: UConn is making a strong commitment to get an AAU invite within the next 2 years. Assuming they become an AAU school, would UConn be considered as a possible B1G candidate (i.e., to help lock up NYC market and gain access to the New England market)?

Adam Rittenberg: Mike, that's an interesting note about Connecticut and the AAU. It certainly would make the school more attractive to the Big Ten. The big question is whether the Big Ten would rather strengthen itself in New England or make a push to the south, where population is growing, there are more elite recruits, college football is bigger, etc. I'm not dismissing the New England market, but college football really doesn't resonate in the Northeast. You already have a bit of a presence with Rutgers, but wouldn't it make more sense to try to create a presence in the Carolinas or even Georgia? I'm not saying there's one right answer, but I would be more interested in pursuing other ACC schools -- North Carolina, Georgia Tech, Virginia -- than UConn."

uconn money

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

I never understand the argument that they should expand south because the population is growing. Even with growth its a fraction of the size of the northeast. I know someone posted actual numbers the other day to prove this point but im far too lazy to dig it up.

Reaction Score

Adam's answer is probably what we all expect to be the case. That said, if you read between the lines there are 2 important "take aways":

1. UConn must have AAU status to even be on the BIG radar. Susan Herbst is doing all the right things academically to get UConn there in the next 2 years.

and

2. UConn only becomes a viable option if the B1G can only get 1 AAU/ACC school (e.g., GT) or if they decide to go to a 20 team conference. (However, we need to show that we have a viable/competitive football team)

So bottom line UConn has a legitimate (albeit long) shot at getting a B1G invite.

I don't expect a B1G move for at least 24 months (e.g., B1G needs to absorb Maryland and Rutgers, ACC schools need to see what happens with the ACC v Maryland suit, etc). So it's critical right now that UConn work diligently to upgrade across the board, which appears to be the case in everything EXCEPT its football program (I do believe that the football program will get fixed after next season. However UConn will be cutting it very close if it would like to position itself for a 2014/2015 invite. UConn will need a football coach that can quickly turn things around, better scheduling, including games in NYC/Boston and a public statement from WM that it will begin building a capital fund for stadium expansion ...not easy, but all doable)

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

All the more reason I'd like the football schools to keep the BE name and the MSG rights. Screw the Catholics. So what if Uconn and Cincy had one foot out the door. The Catholics could have bolted after any invite and no one would have a claim against them. They didn't have to do it before the move. If they remained they could have maneuverd a better media contract then they'll get alone and legitimately inherited the name and venue without conflict if UConn and Cinci left. They bolted so they should lose the rights.

The reason I want UConn and the two other football schools to keep the BE name is the above scenario may play out. I want UConn to keep the BE name and MSG playing rights just in the event that the ACC implodes and Cuse and whoever is left in the cold. Then reabsorb them back into the BE conference and play games at MSG. And then renegotiate the media contract.

Reaction Score
Adam's answer is probably what we all expect to be the case. That said, if you read between the lines there are 2 important "take aways":

1. UConn must have AAU status to even be on the BIG radar. Susan Herbst is doing all the right things academically to get UConn there in the next 2 years.

and

2. UConn only becomes a viable option if the B1G can only get 1 AAU/ACC school (e.g., GT) or if they decide to go to a 20 team conference. (However, we need to show that we have a viable/competitive football team)

So bottom line UConn has a legitimate (albeit long) shot at getting a B1G invite.

I don't expect a B1G move for at least 24 months (e.g., B1G needs to absorb Maryland and Rutgers, ACC schools need to see what happens with the ACC v Maryland suit, etc). So it's critical right now that UConn work diligently to upgrade across the board, which appears to be the case in everything EXCEPT its football program (I do believe that the football program will get fixed after next season. However UConn will be cutting it very close if it would like to position itself for a 2014/2015 invite. UConn will need a football coach that can quickly turn things around, better scheduling, including games in NYC/Boston and a public statement from WM that it will begin building a capital fund for stadium expansion ...not easy, but all doable)

Herbst's attempts for AAU admittance is part one. Part 2 is the football program and the perception of it. Since this is about football being seen as competitive and viable UCONN needs a new coach and philosphy now. Someone who can relate to today's players and one who understands that offense sells. UCONN has to admit it's a stepping stone school; accept that the coach may move on in 2 or 3 years, then go out and get a young Offensive Coordinator preferably from an SEC or B1G school.

Reaction Score
"UCONN has to admit it's a stepping stone school; accept that the coach may move on in 2 or 3 years, then go out and get a young Offensive Coordinator preferably from an SEC or B1G school."

That's an interesting point. I think that we all want the Jim Calhoun model of bringing in an up and comer, who establishes a program and makes a long term home here, but short of that, it's not the worst thing in the world for someone to be so successful here that they move on. Works for Cincinnati.

Reaction Score
So, folks, let's get this straight. In the last decade, only Boston U. and Georgia Tech have been added to the AAUs rank of 60 schools. They don't add schools easily. UConn's total research is well below AAU standards currently. Herbst wants to raise research. That's great. So does everyone else. The idea that she's going to raise it 100% (Boston U. levels) in 2 years is as likely as UConn winning the SEC championship game in 2 years.

Reaction Score
So, folks, let's get this straight. In the last decade, only Boston U. and Georgia Tech have been added to the AAUs rank of 60 schools. They don't add schools easily. UConn's total research is well below AAU standards currently. Herbst wants to raise research. That's great. So does everyone else. The idea that she's going to raise it 100% (Boston U. levels) in 2 years is as likely as UConn winning the SEC championship game in 2 years.
maybe we could merge with BU... take the Boston market and get a B1G invite. ;^)

Reaction Score

Herbst is on record saying that we need $90-100M more in research grants (if memory serves me we are at $290M today....so more like a 30-35% increase, not 100% increase you suggest) to be a vaible AAU candidate and that it's "doable". The recent addition of 290 tenured faculity positions at UConn is significant...and comes at a time when other schools are cutting positions. This move, along with the new tech park and bioscience investments, are designed to postion UConn for an invite. While 2 years is aggressive (i.e., 3-5 years seems more realistic), it appears more a matter of when, not if, UConn gets an invite.

FYI, Stony Brook became an AAU school in 2001 (just missing your "decade" cut off) and 7 schools were invited in the last 20 years. In addition, since the AAU seems to be also disinviting schools (e.g., Nebraska and Syracuse most recently), one would think that this will create additional opprotunities for UConn.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
maybe we could merge with BU... take the Boston market and get a B1G invite. ;^)

In related news, our brilliant President just showered glowing praise on C-USA, I mean the Big East, and our current grouping of conference mates...

Reaction Score
Herbst is on record saying that we need $90-100M more in research grants (if memory serves me we are at $290M today....so more like a 30-35% increase, not 100% increase you suggest) to be a vaible AAU candidate and that it's "doable". The recent addition of 290 tenured faculity positions at UConn is significant...and comes at a time when other schools are cutting positions. This move, along with the new tech park and bioscience investments, are designed to postion UConn for an invite. While 2 years is aggressive (i.e., 3-5 years seems more realistic), it appears more a matter of when, not if, UConn gets an invite.

FYI, Stony Brook became an AAU school in 2001 (just missing your "decade" cut off) and 7 schools were invited in the last 20 years. In addition, since the AAU seems to be also disinviting schools (e.g., Nebraska and Syracuse most recently), one would think that this will create additional opprotunities for UConn.

According to the last budget, UConn was at $170m in research grants.

The reason the AAU was disinviting schools is because the AAU is a lobbying group trying to shakedown money from Washington, DC in a time when the gov't is cutting research dollars. So the AAU sends out a memo to administrators at AAU universities stating it is in the process of reviewing all members to see if they meet criteria. In other words, the pie is getting smaller, so the AAU started lopping off members. This wasn't done to create more "space" for new admits but to continue to make sure that federal dollars flow to AAU members. 50% of all grant dollars do.

Reaction Score
According to the last budget, UConn was at $170m in research grants.

The reason the AAU was disinviting schools is because the AAU is a lobbying group trying to shakedown money from Washington, DC in a time when the gov't is cutting research dollars. So the AAU sends out a memo to administrators at AAU universities stating it is in the process of reviewing all members to see if they meet criteria. In other words, the pie is getting smaller, so the AAU started lopping off members. This wasn't done to create more "space" for new admits but to continue to make sure that federal dollars flow to AAU members. 50% of all grant dollars do.

My bad...I was thought I had seen something that said it was around $290M.

Here's a UConn "fact sheet" that says for FY2011 "research, training and public service" totaled $226M. http://www.uconn.edu/pdf/UConn_Facts_2012.pdf
Note: For FY2010, it was $233M and for FY 2009 it was $210M.

To your point, I did see something put out by UConn that stated it had recieved $170M for FY2010 regarding "external research expenditures" (10% increase over FY2009).

All that said, Herbst was interviewed a few weeks ago (along with WM) on public radio and stated that we needed $90-100M more in research grants to be a viable AAU candidate and it was "doable". Here's the link...comments are around 41mins ... http://www.yourpublicmedia.org/node/23402

Reaction Score
My bad...I was thought I had seen something that said it was around $290M.

Here's a UConn "fact sheet" that says for FY2011 "research, training and public service" totaled $226M. http://www.uconn.edu/pdf/UConn_Facts_2012.pdf
Note: For FY2010, it was $233M and for FY 2009 it was $210M.

To your point, I did see something put out by UConn that stated it had recieved $170M for FY2010 regarding "external research expenditures" (10% increase over FY2009).

All that said, Herbst was interviewed a few weeks ago (along with WM) on public radio and stated that we needed $90-100M more in research grants to be a viable AAU candidate and it was "doable". Here's the link...comments are around 41mins ... http://www.yourpublicmedia.org/node/23402

I hope UConn manages it. I can only tell you that every single other state u. president is saying the same thing. In fact, this is practically policy everywhere. Some will win, some will lose. In an environment when research grants are being cut, there will be more loser than winners.

pj

Reaction Score
I think that those numbers may fail to aggregate the Storrs campus with the Farmington medical center.

They are commonly treated separately. In this report, http://mup.asu.edu/research2010.pdf (p 34), UConn - Storrs had $110 mn in research funding in 2008 and UConn - Medical Center had $116 mn. That ranked them #123 and #129 respectively, but combined they would have been $226 mn and about #80. This is still poor if you want to join the AAU which is roughly the top 60 research universities.

The report also lists universities that made the top 25 or top 50 in any of 9 categories of rankings. UConn - Storrs got into the top 50 in 2 of the 9, for comparison Rutgers was in the top 25 for 2 and top 50 for all 9. Maryland was in the top 25 for 6 and top 50 for 8.

So clearly UConn needs to improve its research profile to be regarded as a top research university.

Reaction Score
I think that those numbers may fail to aggregate the Storrs campus with the Farmington medical center.

They are commonly treated separately. In this report, http://mup.asu.edu/research2010.pdf (p 34), UConn - Storrs had $110 mn in research funding in 2008 and UConn - Medical Center had $116 mn. That ranked them #123 and #129 respectively, but combined they would have been $226 mn and about #80. This is still poor if you want to join the AAU which is roughly the top 60 research universities.

The report also lists universities that made the top 25 or top 50 in any of 9 categories of rankings. UConn - Storrs got into the top 50 in 2 of the 9, for comparison Rutgers was in the top 25 for 2 and top 50 for all 9. Maryland was in the top 25 for 6 and top 50 for 8.

So clearly UConn needs to improve its research profile to be regarded as a top research university.

The AAU doesn't aggregate non-grant research at Med. Centers with regular research. If it did, USF and Cincy and San Francisco and a great many others would be AAU members.

Reaction Score
Small tidbit in this article from the Chicago Tribune saying Northwestern may go to the eastern division of the B1G and that "Some sources within the Big Ten believe the conference won't stop expanding until it hits 18."

Doesn't the 18 school target infer that the B1G would be going for GT, UNC, UVA and Duke (i.e., the AAU schools of the ACC)? Under this scenario, it would seem that we'd end up in a conference with what's left (i.e., the best 18 remaining remants of BE/ACC/Big 12) when all is said and done....and we'd be in 1 of the 4 "power conferences".

I can definitely live with that.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
Doesn't the 18 school target infer that the B1G would be going for GT, UNC, UVA and Duke (i.e., the AAU schools of the ACC)? Under this scenario, it would seem that we'd end up in a conference with what's left (i.e., the best 18 remaining remants of BE/ACC/Big 12) when all is said and done....and we'd be in 1 of the 4 "power conferences".

I can definitely live with that.

UNC and UVA top the B1G wish list (assuming, obviously, that ND and Texas "continue to monitor the landscape"). Connecticut's competition for slots 17-18 (and perhaps 19-20) is GTCH, DUKE, Kansas, Missouri and bc.

I think bc's only hope is ND. Hopefully ND continues to stall, Delaney says F&*K them and moves along.

I don't worry much about Duke, because I don't believe they bring a market, national basketball appeal notwithstanding. And I don't see UNC challenging Delaney to a game of chicken over Duke. Those two can still play (twice a year if TV wants) national TV games as non-conference foes (ala USC-ND). I do think UNC has political entanglements with NCST. Same State board ultimately governs both schools, so UNC's move is complicated by timing/assurance of NCST's SEC invite (as would UVA's with VATech).

I don't see Kansas taking on the test case to litigate the GOR, so until Texas ultimately determines where it wants to be, Kansas is stuck.

Missouri scares me somewhat. Mizzu sees itself fitting snugly into the neighborhood puzzle with Illinois, Nebraska and Iowa. They're still licking their wounds from their inaugural SEC tour of duty, and the B1G $$ and academic prestige still beckon. Hopefully without KU in play, Delaney passes on the Tigers again and continues to lean east.

I've read the arguments here and elsewhere that the SEC is a barrier to entry to the BTN's attempt to establish a foothold in Georgia. Hopefully, this is the case; if not, I believe GA Tech represents a real threat to those other schools dreaming B1G.

I fear that Connecticut's geographical isolation may relegate us safety school status with Mr. Delaney. So if in fact the B1G does value Connecticut's metrics and overall profile, out best shot is for politics to bog down either UNC or UVA for a bit, and for most if not all of the other factors I outlined above coming to fruition.

Reaction Score
B1G has moved on from ND.
ND had its chance.
If the B1G takes away ND's current date, they may even be thinking it will hurt ND football.
ND takes a lot of talent in the midwest and mid-atlantic.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
B1G has moved on from ND.
ND had its chance.
If the B1G takes away ND's current date, they may even be thinking it will hurt ND football.
ND takes a lot of talent in the midwest and mid-atlantic.

Hopefully that's the case, but if ND ever does call Delaney back, I dont see him turning down the opportunity to dramatically increase the Big Ten Network's presence nationally. As ND itself has been none to shy to remind us again this year, Notre Dame's market is national and beyond...

Reaction Score
Hopefully that's the case, but if ND ever does call Delaney back, I dont see him turning down the opportunity to dramatically increase the Big Ten Network's presence nationally. As ND itself has been none to shy to remind us again this year, Notre Dame's market is national and beyond...

But now they're coming off an appearance in a national championship game, no longer lost in that Willingham/Weis wilderness. If they withstood that debacle, they are even more confident now.

Reaction Score
The bottom line in all this: has anyone heard a single word on the B1G stopping at 14? also, isn't it well known that 14 is a horrible scheduling number?

In almost every scenario where B1G goes to 16, it helps us. Just need to sit tight. Chances are the B1G never plays a season with 14 teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom