B1G | Page 41 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
the mizzu ad just can't keep himself out of trouble lol. he said more expansion is coming...read it on mrsec site

so the sec always answers the b10 expansion for expansion. they match here with vt and ncst lets say? does the b10 go for the kill asap?
If the sec is next go why would they "settle" for Vpi and nc state when they still have a chance at unc and UVA. I just can't see any teams other than fsu leaving for any conference before unc/UVA leave.

Reaction Score
Here's what I got about our chances to get into the B1G. Our football program and our demographics work against us. That's the perception at the moment. I beg to differ about demographics but now that we know our football program is key to an invite, we know what to work on. At the same time, we never know what the future holds. We do have a solid school with a solid athletic department.

U

UConn9604

the mizzu ad just can't keep himself out of trouble lol. he said more expansion is coming...read it on mrsec site

I saw those quotes and got very excited, but unfortunately, they're devoid of details and they focus on schools wanting to move, not on leagues looking to take. When you read between the lines, he could very well be talking about us...

I don't know that if there have been any that really surprised me too much. You and me may have talked about this, but I know when we first made our move on Nov. 6 — 13 months ago — I said, "This isn't over. There's going to be more coming." I don't know that it surprised me that Maryland or Rutgers did what they did (by going to the Big Ten) or whoever else had made the moves. I guess my only thought on that is I think there's more coming. It's not over. The Big East is at a real, real disadvantage right now for them to be able to regroup and be at the same level as some of the other leagues. But I still think there are schools continuing to try to line themselves up with like institutions.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2012/dec/30/alden-discusses-year-in-transition/

What I found to be remarkably interesting about that interview? Alden says they've received $36.4 million in TWO donations. $36.4 million is about four times what the Shenkmans, the Burtons and the Wirths have contributed to the basketball and football practice facilities.

Where do we have to go to find donors like that?

Reaction Score
Where do we have to go to find donors like that?
Donors are not the issue to get an invite. We are absolutely on the list of candidates for expansion. But to succeed, we need to work on the football side.

U

UConn9604

Donors are not the issue to get an invite. We are absolutely on the list of candidates for expansion. But to succeed, we need to work on the football side.

Oh, I wasn't linking the two (of course, having more donors like that would lead to other things that would make us more attractive to other leagues). I was just saying, wow, that's a lot of money from not a lot of people.

Reaction Score
Oh, I wasn't linking the two (of course, having more donors like that would lead to other things that would make us more attractive to other leagues). I was just saying, wow, that's a lot of money from not a lot of people.
If we can get into one of the highest profile athletic conference possible, donations will skyrocket.

Reaction Score
Herbst is trying like heck to make up for so much lost time. It's almost criminal that our endowment is so low---no excuses are acceptable. She is doing more on the academic hiring side than any other University. She is increasing our research footprint, building a technology park and going after grants Gangham Style. We'll be ready for the next level on all academic fronts. Now it's time to concentrate on lifting our football profile. We've all discussed how. But it's clear that if we just improved athletics and facilities, we'd still be an acceptable candidate for the ACC ( see Louisville) but not the B1G. What's clear is that Herbst's drive for academic excellence increases our list of possible landing spots.

Reaction Score
Herbst is trying like heck to make up for so much lost time. It's almost criminal that our endowment is so low---no excuses are acceptable. She is doing more on the academic hiring side than any other University. She is increasing our research footprint, building a technology park and going after grants Gangham Style. We'll be ready for the next level on all academic fronts. Now it's time to concentrate on lifting our football profile. We've all discussed how. But it's clear that if we just improved athletics and facilities, we'd still be an acceptable candidate for the ACC ( see Louisville) but not the B1G. What's clear is that Herbst's drive for academic excellence increases our list of possible landing spots.

bump because i want to #b1glieve

#B1Gharder
#B1Gproblemsifwedontgetin
#B1GgerisbetterthanBigeast
#I'llstilltaketheaccinaecond

Reaction Score
But it's clear that if we just improved athletics and facilities, we'd still be an acceptable candidate for the ACC ( see Louisville) but not the B1G. What's clear is that Herbst's drive for academic excellence increases our list of possible landing spots.
From what I have gathered, we're somewhat acceptable to the B1G, at the very least. Maybe not completely yet due to the lack of the AAU label. But one very, very well placed figure made absolutely no mention of the AAU when asked about our chances. Just mentioned football and demographics. And still said, "hey, you never know."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This. Herbst's vision for what the flagship university in Connecticut is academically based. She's building up our endowment because it enhances us academically. She's building up our research capabilities because that is where we ought to be. Just like "good enough was good enough" in athletics pre-Calhoun, the same was true academics. Herbst is working to change that. The fact that it enhances our CR resume is entirely secondary to her academic goals, as it should be.

Someone said that our endowment (and I'll add our research capabilities) were at near 'criminal' levels. Hyperbole aside, I agree. With better management we could and should be much further along (eg. the Pfizer research partnership that got killed because the locals liked the trim on an old, but not historic, barn.) It's tougher to root for academics, but that is UConn's core mission. I feel good about Herbst's head on approach. Coincidentally it will help us down the road for CR. Sucks for now, but it is what it is.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
(paraphrasing from memory...)

Vito Corleone: I never wanted any of this for you... I wanted you to be Senator Corleone, Governor Corleone...

Michael Corleone: We'll get there, Pop. We'll get there.

Reaction Score
FWIW some Jabroni on the Rutgers board with a PSU connection says GT and BC are #15 and #16 in B1G, and UNC UVA are #17 and #18. This scenario would leave us in a crappy ACC momentarily, with the potential to fill in the gap from Boston to Piscataway for the B1G if they go to 20, assuming BC can't block us there too b/c Delaney is an actual business man with vision. I can live with this.

http://rutgers.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=642&tid=161402084&mid=161402084&sid=988&style=2

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It always amazes me how little love UConn gets in other boards CR threads. There are a couple of mentions but other than that, nada.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I would throw up in my mouth, drink it, and throw up again in a continuous nauseating loop if BC is invited to the B1G over UConn.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It always amazes me how little love UConn gets in other boards CR threads. There are a couple of mentions but other than that, nada.

I've always thought the same thing. I'm fairly realistic as to where our programs stand nationally and I'm even amazed at how we're perceived.

Awful football - ignores 2 Big East Championships and being a solid program before Coach P
Good basketball - only 'good'? In the last 15 years there aren't more than 2 other teams that even come close to our success.
Ok or bad academics - I'm inclined to think the 21st best public institution in America is better than 'ok' or 'bad'.
Small market - Hartford/New Haven is the 30th biggest DMA in America, not to mention 1/18 of the NYC DMA is in CT. That's not small at all.
UConn led lawsuit - Ignores the fact that the other Big East schools, except Cuse if memory serves (because they thought they were in), sued the ACC as well.

Reaction Score
The media dictates the discussion. If the
media sang our praises and pumped up our positives, fans would too. What you see on other boards is discussion based
on the information the average poster sees in the media. How often have you read that UConn has lousy football facilities on other boards? They have no idea that we have great facilities because no one ever tells them.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
FWIW some Jabroni on the Rutgers board with a PSU connection says GT and BC are #15 and #16 in B1G, and UNC UVA are #17 and #18. This scenario would leave us in a crappy ACC momentarily, with the potential to fill in the gap from Boston to Piscataway for the B1G if they go to 20, assuming BC can't block us there too b/c Delaney is an actual business man with vision. I can live with this.

http://rutgers.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=642&tid=161402084&mid=161402084&sid=988&style=2[/quote]

Well here's the latest from our favorite Twitter guy. Next moves are imminent and will up the basketball profile. When questioned about GT and UVA, he said, one of those two. The other is a suprise.

MHver3@MHver3
The BiG is definitively going to raise their basketball profile with the next moves.

Expand
40m
MHver3@MHver3
looking like this game of cat and mouse the BiG has been playing is drawing to a close and the next 2 invites are on the cusp

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
dom is 2 months late to the game, but since he is atleast playing it, u sir have my views and attention. carry on.

Reaction Score
Of all the teams being floated for the Big, I just don't get Georgia Tech. On any level.

I know they are situate in a big market, but not only do they not control the market today, but no matter how many times Michigan and OSU go down to play in Atlanta they are never going to be anything but a distant second cousin there to the SEC.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Of all the teams being floated for the Big, I just don't get Georgia Tech. On any level.

I know they are situate in a big market, but not only do they not control the market today, but no matter how many times Michigan and OSU go down to play in Atlanta they are never going to be anything but a distant second cousin there to the SEC.

I feel the same way about BC. If this is about forcing your way into a market for subscription fees a school with a transient student and professional population doesn't make sense. The only difference is that whereas GT is a distant second cousin to the SEC in Atlanta, BC is a distant second cousin to 'I don't give a about BC' in Boston.

Reaction Score

I've been maintaining my no way GT stance for two months now. It just makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. The closest current B1G school is Indiana believe it or not.

Reaction Score
I put in some thoughts for us high up over in B1G territory, saying our upside is superior to BC in every way except hockey (and that we have a hockey program to bring along too). Also mentioned the strength of our bball programs and their attractiveness to elite recruits in NYC and Boston (and the markets all around here), being the largest market without a pro team, potentially having a much stronger New England market penetration than BC (possibly including Boston), and providing B1G fans more reason to travel to NYC and Boston, especially for fans of teams in the division opposite of Rutgers. Response was, "all good points".

I am beginning to think the ACC would be more fun though. Sad what money does to the college landscape. Even ESPN.com bothered to imagine what the old BE could have been, better than the ACC in football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom