B1G | Page 45 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
While 's tweets may serve to provide fantastical hope for many of us, we would be so lucky if we were invited to be at any secret meeting.

i will be at this meeting 2night so go yourself.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Since we're talking about weather and cultural migrations to the south here, I guess scientific variables should be mentioned. The south region around Atlanta, E. Tenn., Alabama and Miss. is projected to become a drought region in the next 20-dd years. You will see a big counter migration soon. Lobbyists for these states are looking to sue the midwestern states over the Great Lakes compact because they see those freshwater lakes as federal property.

This doesn't get talked about often but the growth in population of the SE/SW combined with 1) increasing temperatures; 2)erratic rainfall (and by erratic I mean months with no rain then a monsoon that does no real good for the water table); and 3)loss of winter snow pack (an especially large problem in the West) will leave those regions in perpetual water shortage.

This problem leaves you with three real solutions: 1)those regions somehow become extremely efficient in their water use (not sure there is the political will for that); 2)they steal water from Mexico and the Great Lakes region (as Upstater pointed out); or 3)people move to wear fresh water is abundant, which will be back to more northern lattitudes in the US / Canada.

I don't rule out #2 just because of the general arrogance I sense in their elected representation, but I think #3 is more likely. At a minimum growth will not continue at the rate it has been going.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
I posted my dream b1g conference a while back. It was this then add nd and unc for 20 once you can. 4 pods of 5.
B1g east division Ne pod uconn/cuse/bc/psu/osu se pod rutty/nd/uva/unc/umd
B1g west division great lakes pod mich/msu/indiana/purdue/illinois nw pod wisc/neb/nw/iowa/minny

Pipedream but man it would be sick

I dont believe in pipe-dreams.

Substitute Kansas and Mizzu for the dying northeast privates, and you're onto something. Nd, psu, Connecticut, rutty, md, unc and UVA more than lock up the EAST.

As NYCity's team, Connecticut will sponsor a little holiday tourney at MSG for old times sake and to give something back to the less privileged by hosting the likes of Cuse, GT, Vill, Ville, Pitt, SJ and duke.

Bcu gets relegated to "holy cross" status....

Reaction Score
All the more reason I'd like the football schools to keep the BE name and the MSG rights. Screw the Catholics. So what if Uconn and Cincy had one foot out the door. The Catholics could have bolted after any invite and no one would have a claim against them. They didn't have to do it before the move. If they remained they could have maneuverd a better media contract then they'll get alone and legitimately inherited the name and venue without conflict if UConn and Cinci left. They bolted so they should lose the rights.

The reason I want UConn and the two other football schools to keep the BE name is the above scenario may play out. I want UConn to keep the BE name and MSG playing rights just in the event that the ACC implodes and Cuse and whoever is left in the cold. Then reabsorb them back into the BE conference and play games at MSG. And then renegotiate the media contract.

Could we stop with the MSG rights. The Big East's deal with MSG is that the Big East writes MSG a big check, takes all seating rights for the week (even for luxury boxes that cover "all" Garden events) and then covers the costs by selling tickets. The NNNNN Big East members would bankrupt themselves writing the Garden this check because they will not be able to sell the tickets at the prices that the old conference did.

These posts all act as if there isn't a huge sunk cost to stay in the Garden.

Reactions: caw

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Could we stop with the MSG rights. The Big East's deal with MSG is that the Big East writes MSG a big check, takes all seating rights for the week (even for luxury boxes that cover "all" Garden events) and then covers the costs by selling tickets. The NNNNN Big East members would bankrupt themselves writing the Garden this check because they will not be able to sell the tickets at the prices that the old conference did.

These posts all act as if there isn't a huge sunk cost to stay in the Garden.
The value is the hype and exposure with the media, nothing more nothing less. There are still four decent teams in the NNNNN Big East and they are in an uphill battle for relevancy. Every little bit helps and for UConn it is a big bump because UConn recruits well in NY. Of course if there is no fight for the BE name or MSG I would consider something is up for UConn and Cincy.

Reaction Score
The value is the hype and exposure with the media, nothing more nothing less. There are still four decent teams in the NNNNN Big East and they are in an uphill battle for relevancy. Every little bit helps and for UConn it is a big bump because UConn recruits well in NY. Of course if there is no fight for the BE name or MSG I would consider something is up for UConn and Cincy.

It would be great to keep playing in the Garden. If we can afford it. But just because you want to "keep relevancy," does not mean there is a financial plan to cover the costs when the Conference can no longer sell as many tickets at as high a price.

If dreams were horses then beggars could ride.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
It would be great to keep playing in the Garden. If we can afford it. But just because you want to "keep relevancy," does not mean there is a financial plan to cover the costs when the Conference can no longer sell as many tickets at as high a price.

If dreams were horses then beggars could ride.
The argument depends on whether Aresco can get legs on a media contract. And his problem is UConn and Cincy not being firm. Hypothetically if these two schools were committed to the new version of the BE a decent contract could be forthcoming and the bb side of the conference could become decent. The MSG would be a reasonable loss leader to give the conference exposure. If the conference doesn't develop scrap the contract with MSG.

Reaction Score
The argument depends on whether Aresco can get legs on a media contract. And his problem is UConn and Cincy not being firm. Hypothetically if these two schools were committed to the new version of the BE a decent contract could be forthcoming and the bb side of the conference could become decent. The MSG would be a reasonable loss leader to give the conference exposure. If the conference doesn't develop scrap the contract with MSG.

Wouldn't you have to some some hint of an idea what the net loss would be to call it a "reasonable loss leader?" Or typing the words is enough?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Wouldn't you have to some some hint of an idea what the net loss would be to call it a "reasonable loss leader?" Or typing the words is enough?
If your supposition is correct, then the C7 would have the same difficulty as the NNNNBE in supporting the payment of MSG. So they aren't going to insist on accessing that venue and all of this is a moot point. But if the C7 argue its value and want to pay the NNNNNBE for the rights to the venue, what would be their rationale?

Reaction Score
Since we're talking about weather and cultural migrations to the south here, I guess scientific variables should be mentioned. The south region around Atlanta, E. Tenn., Alabama and Miss. is projected to become a drought region in the next 20-dd years. You will see a big counter migration soon. Lobbyists for these states are looking to sue the midwestern states over the Great Lakes compact because they see those freshwater lakes as federal property.

When I first started to work in Hartford way back in 1969 (I'm sure that is before many of you were born) fresh water was talked about as the factor that would limit migration to the south and west. FL was seen as having the biggest problem with all kinds of doomsday scenarios about needing to desalinate ocean water, and the cost that would put on growth. Agriculture in the area you mentioned is not irigation intensive since over the last 75 years cotton has been replaced with tree farms. As far as water for industrial, commercial and residential use is concerned, the area is dotted with large lakes that are used for hydropower and recreation. Few, with Lanier in GA being the main exception, are currently used to provide water for any other purpose. I would not hold my breath for a reverse migration based on lack of water.

Reaction Score
I expect it will be the migration of bears that finally turns the demographics in our favor. Either ravenous, thirsty bears wreaking havoc across the south as a consequence of global warming - or genetically enhanced bears that become so smart that we can finally count on them to enter the labor force up north. But it will definitely start and end with bears.

Reaction Score
When I first started to work in Hartford way back in 1969 (I'm sure that is before many of you were born) fresh water was talked about as the factor that would limit migration to the south and west. FL was seen as having the biggest problem with all kinds of doomsday scenarios about needing to desalinate ocean water, and the cost that would put on growth. Agriculture in the area you mentioned is not irigation intensive since over the last 75 years cotton has been replaced with tree farms. As far as water for industrial, commercial and residential use is concerned, the area is dotted with large lakes that are used for hydropower and recreation. Few, with Lanier in GA being the main exception, are currently used to provide water for any other purpose. I would not hold my breath for a reverse migration based on lack of water.

They have already seen drought conditions down there. In fact, the states I mentioned are at war with each other as the Georgia Gov. stopped the flow a few times.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kensilv...s-may-leave-energy-producers-dying-of-thirst/

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-08-18-waterwar_N.htm

Reaction Score
They have already seen drought conditions down there. In fact, the states I mentioned are at war with each other as the Georgia Gov. stopped the flow a few times.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kensilv...s-may-leave-energy-producers-dying-of-thirst/

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-08-18-waterwar_N.htm[/quote]
All of that hubub is about Lake Lanier that I mentioned. It has been going on for over 15 years. It has more to do with AL & FL being pissed with Atlanta for taking more water from the Chattahoochee River than was agreed on over 50 years ago without saying pretty please. It does not reflect the overall water situation in the area. In AL alone I can think of at least 5 lakes that are twice the size of Lanier and none of them is currently used for anything but hydro and recreation.

Reaction Score

Then I wonder why those congressman down there are pursuing Great Lakes water so aggressively. Multiple times they have put forth legislation to open the lakes to the south, and it has caused a lot of consternation in Great Lakes communities.

Reaction Score
Then I wonder why those congressman down there are pursuing Great Lakes water so aggressively. Multiple times they have put forth legislation to open the lakes to the south, and it has caused a lot of consternation in Great Lakes communities.

That is a question you would have to ask them. Since there is really no practical way of getting much Great Lakes water into the area one has to wonder. I suppose you could build a really big canal that would connect with the Ohio or Mississippi Rivers and then force the TN and Tombigbee rivers to flow backwards. That would be a neat trick since much of the area you mentioned is between 400 and 1200 feet above sea level. Anything is possible but, again, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Reaction Score
That is a question you would have to ask them. Since there is really no practical way of getting much Great Lakes water into the area one has to wonder. I suppose you could build a really big canal that would connect with the Ohio or Mississippi Rivers and then force the TN and Tombigbee rivers to flow backwards. That would be a neat trick since much of the area you mentioned is between 400 and 1200 feet above sea level. Anything is possible but, again, I wouldn't hold my breath.

But they do this with water all over the Middle East. Pipelines. This is how Israel gets its water from Turkey, the source is over a thousand miles away.

pj

Reaction Score
2)they steal water from Mexico and the Great Lakes region (as Upstater pointed out); or 3)people move to wear fresh water is abundant, which will be back to more northern lattitudes in the US / Canada.
Simple solution: The B1G trades Great Lakes water for 4* football recruits. No one has to move except some football players, everyone is happy, and the Rose Bowl is competitive.

Reaction Score
But they do this with water all over the Middle East. Pipelines. This is how Israel gets its water from Turkey, the source is over a thousand miles away.

As I said anything is possible. If you need it and want to spend the money it can be done. Southern California gets a lot of its water from the North or from Arizona. In both cases the source of the water is much higher than the point of use. That means that you can build non powered siphons to get it over obstacles as long as the end point of the siphon is lower than the beginning point. I believe that this is the case with the Turkish mountains and Isreal. The Mississippi is at around 300 feet above sea level at Memphis and as I said most of the area you mentioned is 400-1200 ft.

Reaction Score
I know it is bad form to reply to yourself but just wanted to say I am sorry for hijacking this discussion into a hydro lecture!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I know it is bad form to reply to yourself but just wanted to say I am sorry for hijacking this discussion into a hydro lecture!

this is actually extremely important as to where the ussct will be docking in the future. sounds like a conference near the great lakes would be better than the mid atlantic if i gather information from this chat correctly.

Reaction Score
If your supposition is correct, then the C7 would have the same difficulty as the NNNNBE in supporting the payment of MSG. So they aren't going to insist on accessing that venue and all of this is a moot point. But if the C7 argue its value and want to pay the NNNNNBE for the rights to the venue, what would be their rationale?

If you don't think that group of schools couldn't sell more tickets in NYC than ours, I don't know what to tell you. But they would have far more teams within a four hour drive if nothing else.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
If you don't think that group of schools couldn't sell more tickets in NYC than ours, I don't know what to tell you. But they would have far more teams within a four hour drive if nothing else.

1200 posts in the b1g thread. HFD?! Is this it? B1G 1200?!

ctchamps

Reaction Score
UConn, Temple and Memphis would sell as many ticket as Gtown, Providence, SH, and SJ. Not sure how Cinci does or how ECU would do. I'm not as convinced as you are that the C7 would fill the arena better than the leftovers of the BE. My feeling is I would wait and see how the media pans out and let them give input. There is a year and a half before it would make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom