B1G | Page 46 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

UConn9604

I like how this is a "secret meeting". So when nothing happens he can just say it was a "secret meeting" which is why nobody knows about it.

99% of Maryland's and Rutgers's administrations and boards had no idea of the Big Ten's interest until they read it on the ESPN ticker.

Yet supposedly there's this secret meeting coming up that involves some unnamed participants, and one of them supposedly thought, "Secret meeting? Hold on, hold on... let's call MH-ver-3 and give him the sneak tip..."

Right.

Reaction Score
Isn't there a website where you can track flights both private and commercial? There have been like 5 flights out of bdl to Chicago today. Coincidence? Surely herbst was on one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
UConn, Temple and Memphis would sell as many ticket as Gtown, Providence, SH, and SJ. Not sure how Cinci does or how ECU would do. I'm not as convinced as you are that the C7 would fill the arena better than the leftovers of the BE. My feeling is I would wait and see how the media pans out and let them give input. There is a year and a half before it would make a difference.

I'm not convinced that the C-7 would draw better than the NBE either.

From a television perspective the top to bottom name brands and basketball will be better in the C-7. I don't think there is any doubt about that.

However, the vast majority of years the top 4 of the NBE in UConn, Temple, Memphis and Cinci are going to be playing Friday and Saturday. Those games will sell out.

The C-7 have not been the reason why MSG has been a hot ticket in recent memory. UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, West Virginia and ND are the programs driving ticket sales at MSG.

I'm sure having a Georgetown/Nova/St.John's on Friday/Saturday would do well ticket wise, but at the end of the day these are all small catholic schools that don't have a big following even though they are obviously more local.

I ultimately think Aresco/Football teams sell the name (I hope they don't) and I think MSG ends up doing a deal with the C7, but I don't think it's as big of a home run as everyone makes it out to be.

Reaction Score
Isn't there a website where you can track flights both private and commercial? There have been like 5 flights out of bdl to Chicago today. Coincidence? Surely herbst was on one of them.

Aren't there five flights out of Bdl to Chicago every day?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I love the question marks in that mHv tweet. Reminds me of this:

lionel-hutz-advertisment.png

Reaction Score
I love the question marks in that tweet. Reminds me of this:

lionel-hutz-advertisment.png

Classic. Another reason to miss Phil Hartman.

"...this verdict is written on a cocktail napkin. And it still says guilty."

Edit: apparently you cannot write kocktail without being censored.

Reaction Score
Lionel Hutz: Now don't you worry, Mrs. Simpson, I... uh-oh. We've drawn Judge Snyder.
Marge: Is that bad?
Lionel Hutz: Well, he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog.
Marge: You did?
Lionel Hutz: Well, replace the word "kinda" with the word "repeatedly," and the word "dog" with "son."

I smell a thread jack a comin.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Doesn't the 18 school target infer that the B1G would be going for GT, UNC, UVA and Duke (i.e., the AAU schools of the ACC)? Under this scenario, it would seem that we'd end up in a conference with what's left (i.e., the best 18 remaining remants of BE/ACC/Big 12) when all is said and done....and we'd be in 1 of the 4 "power conferences".

I can definitely live with that.
It doesn't infer anything, you are the one inferring this. The statement may imply that the targets are GT, UNC, Duke & UVA but my inference is that the article is implying that the targets are UVA, UConn, UNC & Kansas. ;)

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm not convinced that the C-7 would draw better than the NBE either.

From a television perspective the top to bottom name brands and basketball will be better in the C-7. I don't think there is any doubt about that.

However, the vast majority of years the top 4 of the NBE in UConn, Temple, Memphis and Cinci are going to be playing Friday and Saturday. Those games will sell out.

The C-7 have not been the reason why MSG has been a hot ticket in recent memory. UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, West Virginia and ND are the programs driving ticket sales at MSG.

I'm sure having a Georgetown/Nova/St.John's on Friday/Saturday would do well ticket wise, but at the end of the day these are all small catholic schools that don't have a big following even though they are obviously more local.

I ultimately think Aresco/Football teams sell the name (I hope they don't) and I think MSG ends up doing a deal with the C7, but I don't think it's as big of a home run as everyone makes it out to be.
As I mentioned to BL, the difficulty in all this is not knowing what will happen in the future for UConn and Cincy. The thing is no one knows definitively. We all know many of the potential scenarios and have presented them ad nauseum. And one of those scenarios is UConn gets left out of the major four/five. I don't want this possibility. I don't like this possibility. But if it exists (it is the current predicament that UConn is facing) then develop it optimally. UConn was in a conference with 7-9 teams that were in the hunt for a bb nc. Now they are in a conference with 4 contenders and three are a step down. That is today. And it may be that way tomorrow and beyond. But rather than think defeatist, think positive. MSG opens the eyes of recruits in the northeast. So why throw away another thing that could help UConn?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Obligatory "I know it's a tweet from MH ver 3 but I'm gonna post it anyway" disclaimer :

"So Delaney is trying to completely change the world of college football."
"The Big Ten eyes doubling its namesake."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have a hard time seeing the math work. Can they go to 20 without diluting per team revenue?

In some respects, we are an attractive prospect since we would probably join for a nominal annual share and the ability to keep our tier 3 rights.

Reaction Score
If I were Herbst and wanted to keep this under wraps I fly out of Westchester. At least 4-5 daily direct flights to Chicago...and since it is on CT border doesn't raise any flags travel wise...she can be "heading to a meeting with potential donors in Greenwich"

Reaction Score
B1G East, B1G West. Conference tourneys in Chicago and NYC, with the winner of both to play in NYC.

Reaction Score
GT, Miami, FSU, Clemson, Pitt, NC State to B12
NC and VT to SEC
UVa. and Duke to B10
Pac12 twiddles its thumbs

UConn, BC, Louisville, Syracuse, Wake Forest, Temple, USF and then 3 of Houston, SMU, UCF, Memphis, East Carolina.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
More tweets from our fav little birdie:

"Fox wants ND. The Big10 wants ND. If they go to 20 it will only be if ND were a part of that. I have so much more to share very soon now."
"I can tell you at this point 16 going to be a problem for BiG. It's at least 18 to get certain schools."
"What might hurt the B12 is that FSU has submitted a five year plan to get AAU status to Delaney and co"

On that last one, I hope like hell UConn has done the same... But with a 3 year plan. :)

Reaction Score
More tweets from our fav little birdie:

"Fox wants ND. The Big10 wants ND. If they go to 20 it will only be if ND were a part of that. I have so much more to share very soon now."
"I can tell you at this point 16 going to be a problem for BiG. It's at least 18 to get certain schools."
"What might hurt the B12 is that FSU has submitted a five year plan to get AAU status to Delaney and co"

On that last one, I hope like hell UConn has done the same... But with a 3 year plan. :)

They submitted a 5 year plan to Delany.

Delany's bosses are the ones meanwhile who make the decisions about AAU admits.

And the last member they admitted was being tossed out of the AAU on its ear concomitantly with its B1G admittance.

It's like sending your plan to join the country club to the maitre' D!

Reaction Score
20 teams would be a game changer

O.K., I'll play. If the Big Ten is going to 20:

1. I assume they don't go after Mizzou or Kansas. Just too much trouble getting them out of where they are with too little reward, which means it's entirely to move along the East Coast.

2. Two ten team divisions. Ohio State and Penn State join the eight newbies (including RU and Md in that). You have a clean geographic break, and keep Michigan and Ohio State in seperate conferences.

3. I assume no Notre Dame, but really, who knows. Obviously, the Irish can join if they want to.

4. So that leaves six more slots, with the goal being to dominate the Northeast in a way that makes the sport more popular in the Northeast, and then go as far down south as you can add viable markets without just wasting energy fighting the SEC. Under that scenario, I think you start with Syracuse, UConn, UVA and UNC. You then take two more from any of BC, Pitt, Duke, Georgia Tech or Miami. All good academic schools, the Big Ten becomes a dominant #1 in hoops, can make some TV money in chicks hoops and, if they take BC, hockey, and become the only football conference that counts from the industrial midwest through the Northeast and down into Tobacco Road (and maybe with a jump to SoFla which is a different market than the rest of the state). If ND wants in, I'm less certain of us but there is still room. I certainly think, for example, that we give the Big Ten more that fits their model than our other Northeast competitors (but I've thought that before and been wrong). But I do believe that, for Delaney to do this and not dilute the revenue to the core midwestern schools, he needs to build CFB in New York and that means both us and Syracuse should be joining RU so the midwestern teams play in greater NY more often.

Reaction Score
uconn athletic revenues are around $65M... Does that get close to $100M with an invite to the ACC or Big10?

Reaction Score
They submitted a 5 year plan to Delany.

Delany's bosses are the ones meanwhile who make the decisions about AAU admits.

And the last member they admitted was being tossed out of the AAU on its ear concomitantly with its B1G admittance.

It's like sending your plan to join the country club to the maitre' D!

So on the WVU site this guy is saying he will have big rumors tonight. Any guesses as to what they could be? Keep in mind that whatever he says must be vague enough so that when it doesn't happen we can't say he was wrong.

My guesses are: "B1G to add ND but only if XXXXX" or
"B1G to go to 20 teams and ACC/BE are not the target"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member