B1G | Page 48 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I hear you but that makes no sense to me. Not the part about your cousin -- just the part about BC and Notre Dame. If you are the President of Notre Dame, I just don't see why you care what conference BC is in. At all.

Your right about ND not caring. It's the B1G that thinks ND just might prefer having a sympatico conference companion and thus considers BC as a possible member, even when by any rational application of the B1G's typical signature criteria, the Eagles would be otherwise disqualified. It's all about trying to lure in the big fish with all kinds of bait.

Reaction Score
Your right about ND not caring. It's the B1G that thinks ND just might prefer having a sympatico conference companion and thus considers BC as a possible member, even when by any rational application of the B1G's typical signature criteria, the Eagles would be otherwise disqualified. It's all about trying to lure in the big fish with all kinds of bait.

That makes even less sense. Delaney can pick up the phone and ask ND if they are more likely to listen to a Big offer if the Big offers BC as well. He doesn't have to guess.

Reaction Score
That makes even less sense. Delaney can pick up the phone and ask ND if they are more likely to listen to a Big offer if the Big offers BC as well. He doesn't have to guess.

If ND is not open to negotiating with the B1G, they are not going to tip their hand and tell Delaney which ACC teams it would hurt to lose. So maybe Delaney HAS to guess...but frankly, it won't take much guess work when he can see which teams ND chooses to play frequently.

Reaction Score
H

Huskieforlife

Big Ten Conference
James E. Delany
Commissioner
1500 West Higgins Road
Park Ridge, IL 60068-6300

I'm so desperate, I might mail it.
How many likes will it take you?

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
clearly our firends just read back on our board a bit and read thru one of my latest crazy guy threads. fun times.

4 or 6 seats left at the B1G table:
mizzu
kansas
nd
uconn
uva
unc
duke
clem
gtech
fsu
miami

are the list....

What happened to holy cross east? I thought you said they were a dark horse? Good work keeping them off the updated list.

Unc & UVA are locks. So the list for 2-4 seats is:

mizzu
kansas
nd
uconn
duke
gtech
fsu

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
The only reason I leave a shadow of a doubt open for any of this is that I believe the SEC might eventually want to grab UNC and Duke.

That's reason enough for the B1G to swoop in now rather than wait.

The academic elitists running UNC will take B1G over SEC every day once its clear they can't save ACC.

Reaction Score
The academic elitists running UNC will take B1G over SEC every day once its clear they can't save ACC.

Do you really believe these guys had no clue about the AD? These guys are hired by a BOT that is entirely political and very much behind UNC sports and the boosters.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
I think the same thing everytime that they are mentioned. Then I think about Louisville's academics and sigh. I am not sure about anything anymore. I've resigned myself to just roll with punches. We'll end up where we end up.

If Susan were to agree to play Notre Dame at Gillette and/or Met life every couple of years, Connecticut would instantly jump bc on ND's preferred partner list. Susan should be negotiating with ND (give them whatever access to women's hoops they desire) as much as with Delaney.

I recognize offering to bend over for ND is sickening to the majority if this board, but its reality if we want to maximize a b1g invite.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
Do you really believe these guys had no clue about the AD? These guys are hired by a BOT that is entirely political and very much behind UNC sports and the boosters.

Not sure what you're saying. I was merely trying to note that irrespective of any one specific personality, those that run aau / public ivys will prefer to associate with similar schools. Those are in the b1G, not SEC. I also don't think unc wants any part of UK hoops...

Reaction Score
What happened to holy cross east? I thought you said they were a dark horse? Good work keeping them off the updated list.

Unc & UVA are locks. So the list for 2-4 seats is:

mizzu
kansas
nd
uconn
duke
gtech
fsu

I thnk the B1G most wanted targets are UNC and UVA. However, I dont think UNC will go to the B1G. After talking with a very good friend who has lived in Virginia his whole life and graduated from UVA undergrad and med school he knows some people in high standing at UVA. He also comes from a very wealthy family that has had multiple family members attend Duke.

He told me he has talked to people at UVA who are involved with decision making. As everyone knows not every at MD or Rutgers knew about the B1G decision so its extremely likely my friend doesnt know someone with inside info. He did say however the BOTs at UVA are not completely for moving to the B1G and there is a split. He said they are not sure they want to position themselves with a northern conference that doesn't exude the culture and connection that the southern schools offer UVA. He did say it is definitely an option but had no idea what way they would go if offered an invite.

He then said UNC is a whole different story. He emphatically said close to zero chance they would go to the B1G. Said politically UNC and Duke are connected and the politicians will not allow UNC to go anywhere without Duke coming along. Then he said UNC is even more anti B1G and the north than UVA. They see themselves as the southern Jewel of all the southern state schools. They do not want to align themselves with a nothern conference and have lose out on southern recruits and play schools that have nothing in common with southern traditions. They know they are a target for the SEC and their #1 option is to stay in the ACC but everyone knows the conferences days are numbered.

A lot of people think this is going to be solely about money and yes that is a very large part of the equation. Most dont realize the south would rather not be connected to northern schools. Its a cultural disconnect and southern pride and politics are going to be a driving force with decision making of southern schools. The SEC is going to get a very lucrative deal that will make their schools one of the top 2 in the college athletics. UNC deciding to take a few million less a year is not all that much to give up if it means they get to stay in the south.

This is partly why I dont think GT is a smoke screen. GT knows they arent getting a SEC invite so they would just to the B1G at the drop of a hat. I think the B1G knows UNC is going to be a difficult get given their location and where they want to align themselves so it makes sense rumors about GT have been going on for couple months.

FSU/Clemson/vatech/NC st/wake/miami - no chance
BC - dark horse but in play for some obscure reason
Cuse - its possible
Pitt - Penn st has their territory covered

I think at the end of the day UVA will jump to the B1G. I dont think UNC does and eventually UNC/Duke go to the SEC.

Who is UVA partner though and I think it has become clear that B1G is going atleast 18 and possibly 20. Kansas I am not sure would leave because of the GOR and there seems to be a lot of disagreement over how the GOR actually works or can be enforced.

Given this scenario I like UConn's chances of a B1G invite but they still need some things to happen to strengthen their position.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Not sure what you're saying. I was merely trying to note that irrespective of any one specific personality, those that run aau / public ivys will prefer to associate with similar schools. Those are in the b1G, not SEC. I also don't think unc wants any part of UK hoops...

What's the evidence for this? The B1G Pres's didn't care when they invited Nebraska. You also mentioned UNC specifically. The President just had to step down after he kicked a political hot potato over t the AGs office. That highly unusual maneuver shows just how much the President cares about academics when it comes to sports. If they had self-respect there, they wouldn't have done what they did. Obviously, sports matter a lot to UNC, and sometimes the priority of sports takes precedence over academics as it did in the recent scandal.

Reaction Score
I think the SEC would love UVA, UNC and settle for NCSt, Va Tech. The SEC has stated it would not take 2 schools from a single market/state, but if they have a shot at 2 premier institutions like UNC/Duke, they might. With UK, that gives them 3 of the top 5 hoops programs arguably.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If the almighty TV is driving the B1G’s move and being able to fill the B1G Network’s slate with quality programming, this little tidbit should be mailed to the B1G’s office.
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/011113aac.html

This is such an undervalued asset for either the B1G or ACC. The B1G just doesn't seem to care about women's hoops, but a UConn could prove to be that tide that rises all boats. The ACC consistently has some decent teams and another strong gate for those teams would be something, even more important for a planned ACC TV package as the fan bases are fairly mutually exclusive with other sports.

It ain't football revenue, but a profitable - and more important, marketable - women's hoops program is something UConn shares with only two other universities.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
What's the evidence for this? The B1G Pres's didn't care when they invited Nebraska. You also mentioned UNC specifically. The President just had to step down after he kicked a political hot potato over t the AGs office. That highly unusual maneuver shows just how much the President cares about academics when it comes to sports. If they had self-respect there, they wouldn't have done what they did. Obviously, sports matter a lot to UNC, and sometimes the priority of sports takes precedence over academics as it did in the recent scandal.

Evidence? This isn't a scientific experiment so I havent done any research. Just my opinion. Presidents can care about academics AND sports. The two arent mutually exclusive. I wasnt making any comment as to the relative value of one over the other.

I'm simply of the opinion that: (i) the acc in its current form is deadman walking; (ii) UNC is the lynchpin of acc viability/stability; (iii) once UNC determines the fight is lost, it will abandon the acc; (iv) other then ND or Texas, UNC is overall the most attractive option for B1G, SEC or B12 expansion, so it will have its pick of where it goes; and (v) it will select the B1G, in part because the people who run the school (as opposed to its Southern fanbase) will (a) prefer to associate academically the B1G schools over the SEC schools, and (b) see the B1G as a better place for its basketball team to compete (UNC wont want to try to compete with UK every year).

I also think the politicians will link UNC's move much more to NCST landing softly (SEC) since both public universities share the same Board of Governors, as opposed to the private Duke.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
I thnk the B1G most wanted targets are UNC and UVA. However, I dont think UNC will go to the B1G. After talking with a very good friend who has lived in Virginia his whole life and graduated from UVA undergrad and med school he knows some people in high standing at UVA. He also comes from a very wealthy family that has had multiple family members attend Duke.

He told me he has talked to people at UVA who are involved with decision making. As everyone knows not every at MD or Rutgers knew about the B1G decision so its extremely likely my friend doesnt know someone with inside info. He did say however the BOTs at UVA are not completely for moving to the B1G and there is a split. He said they are not sure they want to position themselves with a northern conference that doesn't exude the culture and connection that the southern schools offer UVA. He did say it is definitely an option but had no idea what way they would go if offered an invite.

He then said UNC is a whole different story. He emphatically said close to zero chance they would go to the B1G. Said politically UNC and Duke are connected and the politicians will not allow UNC to go anywhere without Duke coming along. Then he said UNC is even more anti B1G and the north than UVA. They see themselves as the southern Jewel of all the southern state schools. They do not want to align themselves with a nothern conference and have lose out on southern recruits and play schools that have nothing in common with southern traditions. They know they are a target for the SEC and their #1 option is to stay in the ACC but everyone knows the conferences days are numbered.

A lot of people think this is going to be solely about money and yes that is a very large part of the equation. Most dont realize the south would rather not be connected to northern schools. Its a cultural disconnect and southern pride and politics are going to be a driving force with decision making of southern schools. The SEC is going to get a very lucrative deal that will make their schools one of the top 2 in the college athletics. UNC deciding to take a few million less a year is not all that much to give up if it means they get to stay in the south.

This is partly why I dont think GT is a smoke screen. GT knows they arent getting a SEC invite so they would just to the B1G at the drop of a hat. I think the B1G knows UNC is going to be a difficult get given their location and where they want to align themselves so it makes sense rumors about GT have been going on for couple months.

Cuse - its possible

I think at the end of the day UVA will jump to the B1G. I dont think UNC does and eventually UNC/Duke go to the SEC.

Who is UVA partner though and I think it has become clear that B1G is going atleast 18 and possibly 20. Kansas I am not sure would leave because of the GOR and there seems to be a lot of disagreement over how the GOR actually works or can be enforced.

Given this scenario I like UConn's chances of a B1G invite but they still need some things to happen to strengthen their position.

A majority of the Southern schools subdued their cultural arrogance and admitted bc, Cuse and Pitt initially out of greed, and then self-preservation.

When push comes to shove, I predict this trend will continue and perceived academic prestige and additional $$$ will pretty quickly outweigh the southern cultural bias of the UNC fanbase, but I hope you're correct and I'm not.

If UNC and/or any of the other acc schools turn their noses up at the Yankee north's overtures, then Connecticut's chances for B1G inclusion are greatly enhanced...

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
Do it! We MUST market ourselves!

It will be interesting if the last B1G invite comes down to Delaney's determination of which program has the more positive impact on BTN distribution/value/content, Connecticut Women's Basketball or BC Men's Hockey...

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Cuse - its possible

Without the insight, but living in the south, your points have a lot of merit. The only contention to your post is GT would also resist playing in a northern conference imo.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
A majority of the Southern schools subdued their cultural arrogance and admitted bc, Cuse and Pitt initially out of greed, and then self-preservation.

When push comes to shove, I predict this trend will continue and perceived academic prestige and additional $ will pretty quickly outweigh the southern cultural bias of the UNC fanbase, but I hope you're correct and I'm not.

If UNC and/or any of the other acc schools turn their noses up at the Yankee north's overtures, then Connecticut's chances for B1G inclusion are greatly enhanced...
It was one thing to swallow pride to allow the Yankees in. It's a whole new ballgame to admit defeat and become part of the north. In the first case they look at it as a win, the northerners capitulating. In the second case they are the capitulators. I was surprised moving down south how entrenched the culture still is over the north south history.

Reaction Score
Evidence? This isn't a scientific experiment so I havent done any research. Just my opinion. Presidents can care about academics AND sports. The two arent mutually exclusive. I wasnt making any comment as to the relative value of one over the other.

I'm simply of the opinion that: (i) the acc in its current form is deadman walking; (ii) UNC is the lynchpin of acc viability/stability; (iii) once UNC determines the fight is lost, it will abandon the acc; (iv) other then ND or Texas, UNC is overall the most attractive option for B1G, SEC or B12 expansion, so it will have its pick of where it goes; and (v) it will select the B1G, in part because the people who run the school (as opposed to its Southern fanbase) will (a) prefer to associate academically the B1G schools over the SEC schools, and (b) see the B1G as a better place for its basketball team to compete (UNC wont want to try to compete with UK every year).

I also think the politicians will link UNC's move much more to NCST landing softly (SEC) since both public universities share the same Board of Governors, as opposed to the private Duke.

I'm not in any disagreement with any of the above. I'm just saying academics are not nearly as important, and that if they were, we wouldn't be in this mess today because the academic side has subsidized the big mess we've seen with college athletics, and if Presidents were brazen enough to do the right thing, they'd most likely get fired. This is precisely why Presidents give short shrift to mixing academics and athletics, and why a guy like Emmert is entirely comfortable with the sham of APR. It's precisely because they consider sports a big nuisance that they'd rather not deal with, and academic concerns are not very high priorities. They certainly aren't at UNC when it comes to sports.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If Susan were to agree to play Notre Dame at Gillette and/or Met life every couple of years, Connecticut would instantly jump bc on ND's preferred partner list. Susan should be negotiating with ND (give them whatever access to women's hoops they desire) as much as with Delaney.

I recognize offering to bend over for ND is sickening to the majority if this board, but its reality if we want to maximize a b1g invite.
I don't have a problem with it so long as there is a quid pro quo.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If the almighty TV is driving the B1G’s move and being able to fill the B1G Network’s slate with quality programming, this little tidbit should be mailed to the B1G’s office.
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/011113aac.html[/quote]

I don't know about this as stand alone, but the university ought to keep information like this as a part of an ongoing package info. But it you leading with your women's basketball in conference realignment you are going to have a long slow slog toward a better affiliation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom