B1G | Page 49 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So do we have enough research money to qualify for playing sports with those a**holes yet?

Just wanted to spell it out to show how ridiculous it sounds.

Reaction Score
So do we have enough research money to qualify for playing sports with those a**holes yet?

Just wanted to spell it out to show how ridiculous it sounds.

Research grants won by the university is the measure, not research money. Jackson is a private company.

Reaction Score
The legislature has approved $291 million and the company has agreed to raise $860 million from federal grants, philanthropy and its own revenue, according to the governor’s press release. Of the $291 million, $192 million is in loans that will be forgiven after the company creates 300 jobs in 10 years.

The other portion, $99 million, is in research grants over a 10-year period.

Reaction Score
The legislature has approved $291 million and the company has agreed to raise $860 million from federal grants, philanthropy and its own revenue, according to the governor’s press release. Of the $291 million, $192 million is in loans that will be forgiven after the company creates 300 jobs in 10 years.

The other portion, $99 million, is in research grants over a 10-year period.

Thanks for the info guys, but, honestly, I am sure it helps the University, and I am an alumni, but I don't watch research grants on the weekends and after work. They are not my hobby. UConn sports are, and we are good at sports.

My point was that it really pisses me off that the B1G basically uses an arbitrary data point that they all have in common (and only when it's convenient, mind you) that has absolutely nothing to do with sports to supposedly "decide" who gets to play in their sports conference, and then go on to have a fart sniffing convention about it every time there is a press conference.

Nebraska, Rutgers and Michigan State are not the freaking public Ivy League. I wish they would give it a rest already. It is just frustrating that we are left out in the cold, and supposedly one of the reasons is we don't have enough research grants, it's ridiculous.

(see link below if you don't get fart sniffing reference. . . and even if you do, always makes me laugh)

Reaction Score
Thanks for the info guys, but, honestly, I am sure it helps the University, and I am an alumni, but I don't watch research grants on the weekends and after work. They are not my hobby. UConn sports are, and we are good at sports.

My point was that it really pisses me off that the B1G basically uses an arbitrary data point that they all have in common (and only when it's convenient, mind you) that has absolutely nothing to do with sports to supposedly "decide" who gets to play in their sports conference, and then go on to have a fart sniffing convention about it every time there is a press conference.

Nebraska, Rutgers and Michigan State are not the freaking public Ivy League. I wish they would give it a rest already. It is just frustrating that we are left out in the cold, and supposedly one of the reasons is we don't have enough research grants, it's ridiculous.

(see link below if you don't get fart sniffing reference. . . and even if you do, always makes me laugh)

I'm not telling you to pay attention to academics. I'm only addressing your criticism.

The B1G didn't set up that criteria (and frankly I don't think they care). The criteria were set up by the AAU to remove pork from the pie. If research excellence were determined by who can create the best Bridge to Nowhere ala Alaska's senators, then such criteria would be even more irrelevant than it already is.

The B1G admitted Nebraska at a time AFTER top members of the conference were plotting to remove it from the AAU.

How important could it possibly be?

Reaction Score
I thnk the B1G most wanted targets are UNC and UVA. However, I dont think UNC will go to the B1G. After talking with a very good friend who has lived in Virginia his whole life and graduated from UVA undergrad and med school he knows some people in high standing at UVA. He also comes from a very wealthy family that has had multiple family members attend Duke.

He told me he has talked to people at UVA who are involved with decision making. As everyone knows not every at MD or Rutgers knew about the B1G decision so its extremely likely my friend doesnt know someone with inside info. He did say however the BOTs at UVA are not completely for moving to the B1G and there is a split. He said they are not sure they want to position themselves with a northern conference that doesn't exude the culture and connection that the southern schools offer UVA. He did say it is definitely an option but had no idea what way they would go if offered an invite.

He then said UNC is a whole different story. He emphatically said close to zero chance they would go to the B1G. Said politically UNC and Duke are connected and the politicians will not allow UNC to go anywhere without Duke coming along. Then he said UNC is even more anti B1G and the north than UVA. They see themselves as the southern Jewel of all the southern state schools. They do not want to align themselves with a nothern conference and have lose out on southern recruits and play schools that have nothing in common with southern traditions. They know they are a target for the SEC and their #1 option is to stay in the ACC but everyone knows the conferences days are numbered.

A lot of people think this is going to be solely about money and yes that is a very large part of the equation. Most dont realize the south would rather not be connected to northern schools. Its a cultural disconnect and southern pride and politics are going to be a driving force with decision making of southern schools. The SEC is going to get a very lucrative deal that will make their schools one of the top 2 in the college athletics. UNC deciding to take a few million less a year is not all that much to give up if it means they get to stay in the south.

This is partly why I dont think GT is a smoke screen. GT knows they arent getting a SEC invite so they would just to the B1G at the drop of a hat. I think the B1G knows UNC is going to be a difficult get given their location and where they want to align themselves so it makes sense rumors about GT have been going on for couple months.

FSU/Clemson/vatech/NC st/wake/miami - no chance
BC - dark horse but in play for some obscure reason
Cuse - its possible
Pitt - Penn st has their territory covered

I think at the end of the day UVA will jump to the B1G. I dont think UNC does and eventually UNC/Duke go to the SEC.

Who is UVA partner though and I think it has become clear that B1G is going atleast 18 and possibly 20. Kansas I am not sure would leave because of the GOR and there seems to be a lot of disagreement over how the GOR actually works or can be enforced.

Given this scenario I like UConn's chances of a B1G invite but they still need some things to happen to strengthen their position.
100% agree... the souther culture is a big factor for the southern schools.

Reaction Score
US_states_by_population_change.png

I honestly wouldn't be surprised one bit if UNC and UVA choose the SEC. I know I would. The darker the color, the higher the population growth. Texas is the only state to grow more than 2% between April 2010 and July 2011. Population growth is obviously trended more so west of the Mississippi. Michigan, Rhode Island and Maine lost people.

The SEC has been eying UNC and Duke for the last 3 years.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...land-acc-50-million-buyout-sec-big-ten-pac-12

Reaction Score

Rutgers was a member of the actual Ivies at one time.

Reaction Score
T
Rutgers was a member of the actual Ivies at one time.

They also used to be an all boys private school, and UConn used to be an agricultural school. Not sure what your point is here, things have changed a lot.

My point is that now, those schools that I mentioned, are not widely considered in the upper tier of Public Universities. If you were to create an actual public Ivy league with Division 1 football, meaning the best academic public schools, it would have to look like the listing below

Cal
UCLA
Michigan
UNC
Virginia
Georgia Tech
Wisconsin
Texas
Penn State
Washington
Illinois
Florida
Maryland
Pittsburgh
Connecticut
Georgia

Only 5 current B1G schools there, and you would get to a lot more of the schools if you went to 20, yet they will not hesitate to have a fart sniffing convention regarding the academic reputations of their conference. Will talk AAU and public indentity, yet fail to bring up Nebraska and Northwestern. It's just BS IMO.

BTW, that is a nice looking conference up above.

Anyway, it looks like your comment is not true, see links below

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080523192940AAAJsgp

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
US_states_by_population_change.png

I honestly wouldn't be surprised one bit if UNC and UVA choose the SEC. I know I would. The darker the color, the higher the population growth. Texas is the only state to grow more than 2% between April 2010 and July 2011. Population growth is obviously trended more so west of the Mississippi. Michigan, Rhode Island and Maine lost people.

The SEC has been eying UNC and Duke for the last 3 years.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...land-acc-50-million-buyout-sec-big-ten-pac-12
I would be shocked if they chose the SEC. UNC and Virginia are two of the top state universities in the country and I don't see them associating themselves with Alabama, Mississippi and some of the other SEC schools. Football may be driving the bus but there are limits to everything.

Reaction Score
T

They also used to be an all boys private school, and UConn used to be an agricultural school. Not sure what your point is here, things have changed a lot.

My point is that now, those schools that I mentioned, are not widely considered in the upper tier of Public Universities. If you were to create an actual public Ivy league with Division 1 football, meaning the best academic public schools, it would have to look like the listing below

Cal
UCLA
Michigan
UNC
Virginia
Georgia Tech
Wisconsin
Texas
Penn State
Washington
Illinois
Florida
Maryland
Pittsburgh
Connecticut
Georgia

Only 5 current B1G schools there, and you would get to a lot more of the schools if you went to 20, yet they will not hesitate to have a fart sniffing convention regarding the academic reputations of their conference. Will talk AAU and public indentity, yet fail to bring up Nebraska and Northwestern. It's just BS IMO.

BTW, that is a nice looking conference up above.

Anyway, it looks like your comment is not true, see links below

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080523192940AAAJsgp
Uconn would be at the bottom of that list.

Reaction Score
This is from another board discussion about how the conferences will shake out. I thought both postings were interesting.

Astakaderas
UConn is not to be forgotten in this discussion. They will soon be AAU, have huge New England/New York City fan base and ratings on SNY are better than any other vehicle (NY Mets, etc). If you want to see a stark difference look at the fan interest in Connecticut for UConn vs interest in Boston for BC. Not even close. Plus, BC is not AAU. I foresee UConn getting picked by The B1G as Delaney seeks to consolidate the BTN in the Northeast. Football program and the stadium have lots of growth and expansion potential (note the 4 UConn invitees to The Senior Bowl this year). Poor recent coaching and lack of a Bowl presence the past two years has kept them off the national radar, but that's about to change. Add in their proven TV draws in both Men's and Women's BBall, an upgrade in Hockey, national prominence in Soccer and recently in Baseball, and you have the ultimate sleeping giant. With the need by B1G to justify and sustain cable rates, UConn provides all the necessary fodder for content on the BTN, especially after the goal posts come down. Despite the recent snub by the ACC in favor of Louisville (in all respects a rational move by The ACC), watch out for The Huskies to The B1G in all this realignment talk.
Reply Like

Roggespierre
Astakaderas I just don't see it happening. First, UConn is not AAU. Granted, it is an established and growing research university, but that can be said of many schools including Virginia Tech, North Carolina State and Cincinnati. They aren't going to get Big Ten invites, either, unless and until they are admitted to the AAU. They also provide more cable subs because their state populations are more than double that of Connecticut.

Second, the Big Ten doesn't need UConn to get NYC. It has Fox and the YES Network to handle that trick.

Third, sports other than football and, to a much lesser degree, men's basketball simply do not matter with regards to revenue. Lacrosse might be an exception because it is growing and it tends to draw rich kids whose parents make large donations to the athletic departments that offer them scholarships. Conferences are required to have six lacrosse programs in order to get an automatic invite to the national championship tourney. The Big Ten will have five after Rutgers and Maryland join. Duke, Virginia and North Carolina are powerhouse lacrosse programs that would also bring national football/basketball/academic brands, AAU status, and lots of new cable subs. They and Georgia Tech are much more attractive than UConn.

Fourth, Delany has said that population shifts have much to do with expansion. This suggests that he is looking to the South for his next target. Again, the plumbs, in order, are North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia Tech, and Duke.

If the Big Bang does indeed occur, then I think UConn is more likely end up in a watered down ACC with Boston College, Wake Forest, Syracuse, and other former Big East programs. UConn's passionate fans deserve better, but they have a lot working against them.

Reaction Score
It is laughable to see people act as if UNC and UVA will drop everything and go to the B1G ahead of the SEC, no questions asked.

Reaction Score
Uconn would be at the bottom of that list.

Haha, yes, they are, they are right on that list also, I literally just went down the US News rankings and pulled BCS public's off as I went along.

My point is that they pump their whole image based on in public academics, but if you were to actually make a public Ivy league with the 8 most reputable Public schools, only 2 B1G public schools would make it. A majority of the league lies beneath the top 50. The PAC and the ACC are better at the top.

Reaction Score
I would be shocked if they chose the SEC. UNC and Virginia are two of the top state universities in the country and I don't see them associating themselves with Alabama, Mississippi and some of the other SEC schools. Football may be driving the bus but there are limits to everything.
There are SEC schools that are amongst the top or rising. Vanderbilt, Texas A&M, Missouri, Florida, Georgia. Over time, I can see others rising more. Alabama is 12 spots below Purdue and 5 spots below Indiana in the US News & World Report rankings. Auburn is right after Alabama. Demographics shifting towards the south favor the SEC in every way. Even Iowa and Minnesota are not ranked that much higher than Alabama.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom