B1G | Page 50 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How reliable is this guy?

Greg Swaim Show@GSwaim
Will #B1G go past 16 teams? If so, then they'll take #UNC and #Duke in addition to #UVa, whom they've already offered. Who would be 18?

Expand

Greg Swaim Show@GSwaim
If #B1G will take #Duke then #UNC goes north, but #SEC already pulled that trigger. Delaney is on the clock, but #ACC raided again.
Expand

Greg Swaim Show@GSwaim
@1998Grad #UNC likes #B1G a little more, but they want #Duke with them. #SEC already offered both, but Delaney likes #UVa.

Hide conversation

1:00 PM - 23 Jan 13 · Details

Reaction Score
I have no idea how reliable Swaim is, but we really are going to have to hope that the SEC wins over UNC and Duke. Never thought I'd cheer for the SEC, but I have no choice now. GO SEC!

Reaction Score
I have no idea how reliable is, but we really are going to have to hope that the SEC wins over UNC and Duke. Never thought I'd cheer for the SEC, but I have no choice now. GO SEC!

Never thought I would want a good thing to happen to Duke. This is a dark day in human history.

Reaction Score
Found out UMD has 45 national championships that they count. Loads of them are in women's sports. We only have 15. Obviously, our school tradition and alumni base is weak as duckk compared to their schools. Though a Big 10 invite can boost that. And they know that. We need a real husky present at games. Forget the costumed mascot.

We are really going to have to hope UNC, Duke and maybe UVA go to the SEC. If all 3 to go the Big 10, we may be almost guaranteed a Big 10 invite.

From my understanding, Duke and UNC are a package deal. And the SEC is chasing them hard.

I am also reading that Virginia Tech is being considered by the Big 10. Scroll down. From two days ago.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/70371/big-ten-friday-mailblog-125

Reaction Score
I am also reading that Virginia Tech is being considered by the Big 10. Scroll down. From two days ago.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/70371/big-ten-friday-mailblog-125[/quote]

?????
He said that he thought VT wouldn't be considered by the Big 10.

Adam Rittenberg: Jordan, you're not the first person to ask about Virginia Tech as a Big Ten expansion candidate. For starters, the AAU thing is a very big deal. Although Nebraska lost its membership, it had it at the time of its admission. If Nebraska wasn't an AAU member in June 2010, it would have had a harder time being approved, Big Ten sources have told me. Still, Virginia Tech is a good candidate because of its location and its success in football. But there has been much more buzz about Virginia Tech as a potential SEC expansion candidate. If the ACC blows up eventually, most folks seem to think the SEC would try to add Virginia Tech to expand its footprint. Maybe things change with the Big Ten, but I don't think Virginia Tech is on the league's radar as much as AAU members like Virginia, Georgia Tech and North Carolina.

Reaction Score

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/70371/big-ten-friday-mailblog-125[/quote]

?????
He said that he thought VT wouldn't be considered by the Big 10.

Adam Rittenberg: Jordan, you're not the first person to ask about Virginia Tech as a Big Ten expansion candidate. For starters, the AAU thing is a very big deal. Although Nebraska lost its membership, it had it at the time of its admission. If Nebraska wasn't an AAU member in June 2010, it would have had a harder time being approved, Big Ten sources have told me. Still, Virginia Tech is a good candidate because of its location and its success in football. But there has been much more buzz about Virginia Tech as a potential SEC expansion candidate. If the ACC blows up eventually, most folks seem to think the SEC would try to add Virginia Tech to expand its footprint. Maybe things change with the Big Ten, but I don't think Virginia Tech is on the league's radar as much as AAU members like Virginia, Georgia Tech and North Carolina.

Reaction Score
There are SEC schools that are amongst the top or rising. Vanderbilt, Texas A&M, Missouri, Florida, Georgia. Over time, I can see others rising more. Alabama is 12 spots below Purdue and 5 spots below Indiana in the US News & World Report rankings. Auburn is right after Alabama. Demographics shifting towards the south favor the SEC in every way. Even Iowa and Minnesota are not ranked that much higher than Alabama.

I'm going to put this kindly. The difference between Minnesota and Alabama in terms of rep in Higher Ed. is much much larger than the difference between their climates. They are barely on the same continent. And I don't give a damn what USNWP have to say about that...

...not that I believe this AAU thing matters a bit to the B1g.

Reaction Score
Adam Rittenburg does not have sources that will speak to him honestly off the record. That's what that tells me.

Let me reiterate:

1. Wisconsin and Michigan had the long knives out to shiv Nebraska from the AAU long before it became a B1G candidate. They railroaded Nebraska in committee.

2. The President of Wisky at the time (now President of Amherst) said that Nebraska's AAU status never came up during discussion of its inclusion into the B1G (which makes sense, since she was trying to give them the heave-ho!)

Still, B1G administrators in public will tell you how so important academics and the AAU are. Why wouldn't they?

Reaction Score
I'm going to put this kindly. The difference between Minnesota and Alabama in terms of rep in Higher Ed. is much much larger than the difference between their climates. They are barely on the same continent. And I don't give a damn what USNWP have to say about that...

...not that I believe this AAU thing matters a bit to the B1g.
I can understand where you are coming from, but that still doesn't mean SEC schools collectively cannot step up their academic rep. If UNC and Duke were to join, I wouldn't be surprised if that was one of the conditions. As said before, Vanderbilt is the school that was behind the creation of the SEC.

Reaction Score
I can understand where you are coming from, but that still doesn't mean SEC schools collectively cannot step up their academic rep. If UNC and Duke were to join, I wouldn't be surprised if that was one of the conditions. As said before, Vanderbilt is the school that was behind the creation of the SEC.

All these schools try to step up their academic rep all the time. Most fail and will continue to fail especially in a climate in which schools everywhere are lowering standards and doing worse than they used to do. The national trend is for a decrease in the level of effectiveness, not an increase. In other words, our national higher education system is crumbling.

Reaction Score
All these schools try to step up their academic rep all the time. Most fail and will continue to fail especially in a climate in which schools everywhere are lowering standards and doing worse than they used to do. The national trend is for a decrease in the level of effectiveness, not an increase. In other words, our national higher education system is crumbling.
I can understand where you're coming from. Given what you stated, do you think the largest schools will still have the most upside going into the future?

Reaction Score
I can understand where you're coming from. Given what you stated, do you think the largest schools will still have the most upside going into the future?

No one knows the future, because if we keep defunding education, and if research funding continues to dwindle, then I'm going to say that the USA will eventually lose its lead in technology and manufacturing, and we'll have ever less money for education, until this whole dynamic is magically turned around. If you're looking for cushions, then look to wealthy states with schools with relatively low tuitions (like New York) or schools with big endowments. If you're already at 5 figure tuitions and you can't rely on increased research grants (which you can't) your options are limited.

Simply put: UConn needs political support from the state's politicians, but I know how that goes because in New York, the pols don't have any allegiance to the state university system. It seems like Connecticut is not all that different. These are wealthy states which should have the means to fund Higher Ed. Whether or not they do is up to them. A school like UConn is limited however by already high tuition and the lack of research money nationally.

Reaction Score
No one knows the future, because if we keep defunding education, and if research funding continues to dwindle, then I'm going to say that the USA will eventually lose its lead in technology and manufacturing, and we'll have ever less money for education, until this whole dynamic is magically turned around. If you're looking for cushions, then look to wealthy states with schools with relatively low tuitions (like New York) or schools with big endowments. If you're already at 5 figure tuitions and you can't rely on increased research grants (which you can't) your options are limited.

Simply put: UConn needs political support from the state's politicians, but I know how that goes because in New York, the pols don't have any allegiance to the state university system. It seems like Connecticut is not all that different. These are wealthy states which should have the means to fund Higher Ed. Whether or not they do is up to them. A school like UConn is limited however by already high tuition and the lack of research money nationally.
Quite the rosey picture you paint.
sounds like its time to shut the lights off, turn in the keys, and lock the door on the way out.
Good run Huskies...

Reaction Score
Quite the rosey picture you paint.
sounds like its time to shut the lights off, turn in the keys, and lock the door on the way out.
Good run Huskies...

I don't know UConn specifically. I'm only referring to general benchmarks. $$ is being cut everywhere. Both state funding and research. After the cuts, your options are to raise tuition. Whether some schools maneuver more effectively than others remains to be seen. Everyone though has a bright idea. As UConn is moving heavily into genomic research, my school is going heavy on rare earth materials. These are good things to study I suppose, but I'm a cynic as to what this push will do for each school as a whole. In the end, you either support university education or you don't.

Reaction Score
We should be relatively alright up here. I'd be more worried about the south, southwest and Rocky Mountains regions. And maybe the midwest, ironically.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

I think the rising cost of college education will have to be dealt with federally at some point in the not too distant future. The fact that we may be turning out substandard graduates burdened with massive loans is a national problem. Obviously the states have a large role to play with the problem/solution but ultimately it will be national issue once the economy is humming again.

Reaction Score
Obviously the states have a large role to play with the problem/solution but ultimately it will be national issue once the economy is humming again.
I hate to say this, but to have the economy humming again is going to take some time. By the time the economy is completely humming again, it's going to be a very different world. Let's just hope we do alright in the Bos-Wash corridor. I think that megalopolis stands on safe ground for a variety of reasons. As well as much of the west coast. In the conference realignment world, that should work to our favor.

The Great Lakes region is obviously not what it used to be. What it used to be is what made the Big 10 what it became. The SEC rules in football now for the same reason the Big 10 ruled for a while. The Big 10 began to dominate after the Ivies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They were invited to form a union with Princeton but rejected the offer. That was in the 1790s.
I was invited to form a software company in the late 80's. I said no. So am I Bill Gates?

Reaction Score
I think the rising cost of college education will have to be dealt with federally at some point in the not too distant future. The fact that we may be turning out substandard graduates burdened with massive loans is a national problem. Obviously the states have a large role to play with the problem/solution but ultimately it will be national issue once the economy is humming again.

The involvement of policy elites with no education expertise is one of the huge problems. The policy elites do not come from backgrounds that have a good understanding of the disciplines they are trying to reform, so they come up with all these wishy-washy acronyms that are supposed to create categories for assessment, but ultimately they just add a layer of bureaucracy and waste everyone's time.

Reaction Score
I was invited to form a software company in the late 80's. I said no. So am I Bill Gates?
I never said Rutgers was amongst the Ivies. I was just clarifying for whoever interested that they were invited. Feel better, Bill Gates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom