B1G | Page 47 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So on the WVU site this guy is saying he will have big rumors tonight. Any guesses as to what they could be? Keep in mind that whatever he says must be vague enough so that when it doesn't happen we can't say he was wrong.

My guesses are: "B1G to add ND but only if XXXXX" or
"B1G to go to 20 teams and ACC/BE are not the target"

"B1G expansion plans consider a 'surprise' target."

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Is TuxedoYoda's east coast journalist just MHV3's WVU Board post? On a scale of 1-BS where does Tuxedo rank? I don't typically see him spouting off as much as the dude and MH?

If Groovy dosen't say it I don't believe it. Although I'm a little dissapointed Groovy interacted with CTMike, that kills it for me.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
Sweet Jebus.
This thread pulled out of the human migration patterns and water rights nose dive of earlier this week to something quite interesting for the upcoming week.
But like everything so far, I will just sit back and wait until something happens....

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I saw someone post earlier the KU, UNC, UVA, UConn rumor. I hadn't considered it a viable option, but in rethinking it...

If it is to be B18 and ND isn't going, then this looks pretty good if you want new markets with large populations, that are state U's, are pretty damn good at BB and are serviceable enough at FB.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
The only reason I leave a shadow of a doubt open for any of this is that I believe the SEC might eventually want to grab UNC and Duke.

That's reason enough for the B1G to swoop in now rather than wait.

Reaction Score
99% of Maryland's and Rutgers's administrations and boards had no idea of the Big Ten's interest until they read it on the ESPN ticker.

Yet supposedly there's this secret meeting coming up that involves some unnamed participants, and one of them supposedly thought, "Secret meeting? Hold on, hold on... let's call MH-ver-3 and give him the sneak tip..."

Right.

I can't speak for Rutgers, but insidemdsports' premium board followed Big Ten realignment closely since 2010 when the Terps were first mentioned as an option for the Big Ten. Subscribers knew Maryland was moving to the Big Ten about 7 days before it actually happened (about 6 days before the national media even got wind of it) . I'm not saying this guy's info is good. I'm just saying if there are meetings, someone is bound to say something to someone.

Reaction Score
I can't speak for Rutgers, but insidemdsports' premium board followed Big Ten realignment closely since 2010 when the Terps were first mentioned as an option for the Big Ten. Subscribers knew Maryland was moving to the Big Ten about 7 days before it actually happened (about 6 days before the national media even got wind of it) . I'm not saying this guy's info is good. I'm just saying if there are meetings, someone is bound to say something to someone.

Welcome to the board "Bingethinker". Your first post is on the conference realignment board and is about the Big Ten. You must be an insider. What else can you share with us?

Reaction Score
Welcome to the board "Bingethinker". Your first post is on the conference realignment board and is about the Big Ten. You must be an insider. What else can you share with us?

Thanks for the welcome. Not really an "insider". I'm just particularly interested in conference expansion and college athletics administration in general. I'm a Maryland alum and fan and I've lurked on this board for quite some time.

Specifically regarding the Big Ten, aside from my being ECSTATIC that we're out of the bush league ACC, I haven't heard anything new to report. At least not anything that you guys haven't already been discussing here. Pretty much everything that I've been reading indicates that the holding pattern will continue until the ACC-Maryland suit is resolved. We've no clue about the timeline for that, but no one (not even the fine folks at the Wake Forest Law Review) believes Maryland will be paying anywhere near $50M. We anticipate our exit fee will be somewhere around $25M...and that's on the higher end. Though I totally get why it had to move so quickly, the ACC really didn't help its legal cause by not skipping a beat (at least in the very short term) by adding Louisville so quickly. Time will tell.

One thing I can dispel is the notion that was raised in the "Something's Up" thread that Maryland's 2013 entry into the CIC could indicate that we're moving to the Big Ten a year early. That is absolutely not going to happen.

Reaction Score
Can someone please explain to me why BC is constantly talked about as a candidate for the B1G? What exactly do they bring to the table besides hockey? Don't they meet zero of the B1G's supposed criteria?

U

UConn9604

Can someone please explain to me why BC is constantly talked about as a candidate for the B1G? What exactly do they bring to the table besides hockey? Don't they meet zero of the B1G's supposed criteria?

I can't explain it either, but Louisville met about 0.0 of the ACC's criteria, too.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score

BC is a cheap whore, that will jump at the drop of a hat. If the BiG needs a third or fourth ACC team to get UNC to join, they serve that purpose.

I think in industry terms, BC is a fluffer.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Completely agree. BC doesn't fit any criteria of the B1G model, other than that they are located in Boston:

Market - located in Boston but do they carry the market? Absolutely not. They share it with the other colleges and universities in the area, plus professional sports, plus UConn and other New England schools that Boston follows.

AAU - No

Contiguous - No

Athletics - other than hockey, no. Football was above average until UConn entered the scene. Ever since UConn's move to Rentschler Field and the Big East, BC football has been a very insignificant program lost on an island (or cape). Basketball is horrendous...nothing further needed.

Public - No

Flagship - No...not even in their own CITY

BC makes absolutely no sense.

Reaction Score
BC is a cheap whore, that will jump at the drop of a hat. If the BiG needs a third or fourth ACC team to get UNC to join, they serve that purpose.

UConn would felch the B1G or ACC for an invite right about now.

Reaction Score

I agree. BC is not a research university (no medical center) and not a state flagship. The offer a football team built on one event, see Doug Flutie, that is at best as good as UConn with worse facilities. Their only real sport is Hockey as their basketball team has been horrible (they lost to Bryant!). They offer decent Olympic Sports; but, that means nothing right now. Boston is not a college market as it is dominated by the pro team and there are a lot of transplants bringing their own loyalties to the market, such as UConn and ND. I can only see the BiG wanting BC if they somehow bring ND; but, I can’t see ND being seen as needing anybody.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the responses. So basically the rundown is:

1) big market which they carry less than Rutgers
2) hockey
3) some sort of lure for ND
4) some sort of lure for UNC

Talk about pipe dreams. Maybe I just don't understand all this, but I simply won't believe BC is a candidate for the B1G until I see a report of their invitation. And at that point, being wrong will be the least painful part.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think the same thing everytime that they are mentioned. Then I think about Louisville's academics and sigh. I am not sure about anything anymore. I've resigned myself to just roll with punches. We'll end up where we end up.

Reaction Score
"Can someone please explain to me why BC is constantly talked about as a candidate for the B1G?"

BC plays an important role for the B1G. Without the Eagles, coveted ND would be the only private Catholic Univ in the conference. Since BC is the only other Catholic University playing BCS football, they provide a comfort factor for ND within the conference. When I was 12, I was asked (told) to go to a family gathering of older relatives. I said no--until they said, cousin Jim will be there, he's your age. I went and enjoyed myself.

H

Huskieforlife

Thanks for the responses. So basically the rundown is:

1) big market which they carry less than Rutgers
2) hockey
3) some sort of lure for ND
4) some sort of lure for UNC

Talk about pipe dreams. Maybe I just don't understand all this, but I simply won't believe BC is a candidate for the B1G until I see a report of their invitation. And at that point, being wrong will be the least painful part.
Lets look at it this way, if BC gets in before UConn. We are Doomed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
"Can someone please explain to me why BC is constantly talked about as a candidate for the B1G?"

BC plays an important role for the B1G. Without the Eagles, coveted ND would be the only private Catholic Univ in the conference. Since BC is the only other Catholic University playing BCS football, they provide a comfort factor for ND within the conference. When I was 12, I was asked (told) to go to a family gathering of older relatives. I said no--until they said, cousin Jim will be there, he's your age. I went and enjoyed myself.

I hear you but that makes no sense to me. Not the part about your cousin -- just the part about BC and Notre Dame. If you are the President of Notre Dame, I just don't see why you care what conference BC is in. At all.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score

There was a time when a post taking gratuitous shots at BCU would have been good for a few likes. The morale around here has reached an all time low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom