B1G | Page 99 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Was on a UVa board a few days ago and they hate the idea of going to the B1G...I mean they really HATE it. I was run off the board for simply asking this question: "If the ACC blew up - for whatever reason - would UVa prefer SEC or B1G." I thought B1G would be a good (better) academic fit, perhaps the SEC would be a better geographic / cultural fit. Well, personal attacks notwithstanding, SEC won by about 98%. Don't believe either Virginia school going to B1G... UVa doesn't want to go, B1G doesn't want VT...

If you've found UVA folks wanting the SEC, I'd like to meet them. That would be a rare breed. The Soccer and Lacrosse fans would storm the McCue Center with flaming torches and pitch forks. They would do the same if it were the B1G with the Baseball fans joining them. UVA is very happy where it is with its athletic conference, and the ACC is the best academic fit as well.

Reaction Score
If you've found UVA folks wanting the SEC, I'd like to meet them. That would be a rare breed. The Soccer and Lacrosse fans would storm the McCue Center with flaming torches and pitch forks. They would do the same if it were the B1G with the Baseball fans joining them. UVA is very happy where it is with its athletic conference, and the ACC is the best academic fit as well.
So UVA is happy being pulled up athletically and down academically. 50% correct.

Reaction Score
So UVA is happy being pulled up athletically and down academically. 50% correct.
UVA would be pulled down academically if they went anywhere different other than the Ivy League. And the Ivy League has chosen to not be a FBS level league, so they aren't an option. UVA plays many members of the Ivy League on a regular basis in soccer and lacrosse, so we'll have to settle for that as the best we can do for athletic association with them.

I was curious reading his post as to who from UVA was pushing SEC. That seemed interesting. There might be some football fans that would like it temporarily, but UVA isn't a football factory and would have a horrible time in that league just like Kentucky does.

Reaction Score
UVA would be pulled down academically if they went anywhere different other than the Ivy League. And the Ivy League has chosen to not be a FBS level league, so they aren't an option. UVA plays many members of the Ivy League on a regular basis in soccer and lacrosse, so we'll have to settle for that as the best we can do for athletic association with them.

I was curious reading his post as to who from UVA was pushing SEC. That seemed interesting. There might be some football fans that would like it temporarily, but UVA isn't a football factory and would have a horrible time in that league just like Kentucky does.
UVA is an excellent school, no question. But I don't think the ACC is very proud of its academics right now. I think the B1G is trying to hold the line there.

Reaction Score
UVA is an excellent school, no question. But I don't think the ACC is very proud of its academics right now. I think the B1G is trying to hold the line there.

If this is the case, someone needs to inform the ACC. This is right out of the transcript of John Swofford's opening remarks at the Basketball Media day on October 29, 2014, last week:

" I continue to be very proud of our collective member institutions and their student athletes. The academic
accomplishments on an annual basis again show that the ACC leads the way among the power five conferences. The
annual U.S. News and World Report Survey of Best Colleges, released in September and their member institutions,
once again, led the way with an average rank of 54.8. This marks the 8th straight year that the ACC has led the power five conferences.
Our student athletes also excelled recently in NCAA graduation success rates. As teams from the ACC rank among the top Division I institutions with an average graduation rate of 88 percent. While the NCAA graduation rate is 82
percent nationally. "

Louisville did lower the ACC average to become closer to the B1G, but the ACC remains the second highest academically only behind the Ivy League, who isn't Power 5.

Reaction Score

Uh, you may want to chose your friends more carefully. As "Mr." Jefferson's colleague, Benjamin Franklin once opined, "If you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas" Please, don't be that Hoo and come down off that high horse.

Reaction Score
That does not answer the question: "If the ACC blew up - for whatever reason - would UVa prefer SEC or B1G?"

Reaction Score
Not sure if serious.

Adding Louisville was a rather desperate move.

Louisville was not added for academics. It was added for stuff like the attached. No one in the league has buyer's remorse, so I'm not here to defend Louisville. They're in, and as only one data point they don't bring down the average enough to worry about it. Adding 4 more members with similar academics would be a problem, no doubt.
Florida-State-Louisville-CFB1.jpg

Reaction Score
Uh, you may want to chose your friends more carefully. As "Mr." Jefferson's colleague, Benjamin Franklin once opined, "If you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas" Please, don't be that Hoo and come down off that high horse.
Thank you for that. Just needed to be said.

Reaction Score
That does not answer the question: "If the ACC blew up - for whatever reason - would UVa prefer SEC or B1G?"

Given that only the B1G sponsors enough sports to fit the UVA athletic department's sports portfolio, it would have to be the B1G. But the ACC isn't blowing up. It's stronger than at any time of its existence.

I'm still curious who wanted the SEC though. UVA would get killed in football in the SEC, the basketball is terrible other than a couple of teams, and soccer, lacrosse, etc. would be hung out to dry. As for football, most UVA fans know that we need to figure out how to win in the ACC again before doing anything. This may require a new coach.

Reaction Score
Thank you for that. Just needed to be said.

Unlike some on this blog, I highly respect Stimpy's perspective. Nevertheless, as a fellow representative of his Ivy "club", I feel that there's little room or need for judgement of others when your "rules" of association seem to change to best suit the situation. Is it academic prowess or is it business (Louisville) that UVA values? Mean what you say and say what you mean.

Reaction Score
Given that only the B1G sponsors enough sports to fit the UVA athletic department's sports portfolio, it would have to be the B1G. But the ACC isn't blowing up. It's stronger than at any time of its existence.

I'm still curious who wanted the SEC though. UVA would get killed in football in the SEC, the basketball is terrible other than a couple of teams, and soccer, lacrosse, etc. would be hung out to dry. As for football, most UVA fans know that we need to figure out how to win in the ACC again before doing anything. This may require a new coach.
Yes, yes, yes... the ACC is "stronger than at any time of its existence." Notwithstanding the fact this statement is simply not true, please feel free to keep repeating it as often as you like... or need.

Reaction Score
If this is the case, someone needs to inform the ACC. This is right out of the transcript of John Swofford's opening remarks at the Basketball Media day on October 29, 2014, last week:

" I continue to be very proud of our collective member institutions and their student athletes. The academic
accomplishments on an annual basis again show that the ACC leads the way among the power five conferences. The
annual U.S. News and World Report Survey of Best Colleges, released in September and their member institutions,
once again, led the way with an average rank of 54.8. This marks the 8th straight year that the ACC has led the power five conferences.
Our student athletes also excelled recently in NCAA graduation success rates. As teams from the ACC rank among the top Division I institutions with an average graduation rate of 88 percent. While the NCAA graduation rate is 82
percent nationally. "

Louisville did lower the ACC average to become closer to the B1G, but the ACC remains the second highest academically only behind the Ivy League, who isn't Power 5.

What's the B1G's average? Any idea?

Reaction Score
When the smoke clears, the ACC will be the island of misfit toys. I hope we are on it only if we don't have a better island to land on. Somehow I feel like they are being played and as a Big East fan, I know how that feels. The ACC isn't well thought out and it isn't built for the long term. If they can lure Texas and ND,
then forget what I just said.

Reaction Score
When the smoke clears, the ACC will be the island of misfit toys. I hope we are on it only if we don't have a better island to land on. Somehow I feel like they are being played and as a Big East fan, I know how that feels. The ACC isn't well thought out and it isn't built for the long term. If they can lure Texas and ND,
then forget what I just said.
Texas is not a cultural fit, ND won't join. Think you are correct: "The ACC isn't well thought out and it isn't built for the long term." Keep it quiet though...don't want the guy from UVa to hear.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

percent nationally. "

Do you really expect him to say something like:

"I am deeply ashamed that one of our founding universities has been participating in a near two decade long academic fraud that questions not only its athletic integrity but, indeed, its academic integrity as well. My shame is in no way lessened by the fact that this fraud began while I was the athletic director of that university. To be honest, I don't sleep well at night thinking about the shame that has been heaped upon a once great institution. But UNC is not alone in the the threat of sanctions. Syracuse University is also being investigated for a decade long, or quite possibly longer, history of improper benefits and the hiding of those benefits from the NCAA. That's two of our top basketball schools that may well have to vacate a combined 3 national championships. The shame of that is just staggering. One the plus side, however, the ratings of a game involving a glorified community college and a school with an apparent willful cover up of a rape did quite well. So, um, at least there's that."

I didn't. I would expect him to tout conference academics while he can. It is tougher to make those claims when one of your universities has lost accreditation.

Reaction Score
Texas is not a cultural fit, ND won't join. Think you are correct: "The ACC isn't well thought out and it isn't built for the long term." Keep it quiet though...don't want the guy from UVa to hear.

Aside from its original Carolina core (and maybe UVA and UMCP), the genesis of the ACC has been more reactive, rather than proactive. Despite attempts at appearing as a united front, the disparate amalgamation of distinct types of academic models with differing missions (public, private, small, large, southern, northern, research-AAU, non-AAU, Catholic, non-sectarian) will be difficult to maintain long-term.

pj

Reaction Score
What's the B1G's average? Any idea?

Before Louisville replaced Maryland, this site (http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...nkings-of-top-six-football-conferences-092012) gave an ACC average of 51.2 and a B1G average of 57.5. The current USNWR list includes UConn at #58 among national universities, Maryland at #62, and Louisville at #161 (http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/data/page 6). So after Louisville-for-Maryland swap the ACC lose 99 spots / 14 schools or 7.1 off its average so we'd have ACC about 58.3 behind the B1G's 57.5.

Of course if you ranked based on graduate metrics instead of USNWR, the B1G would be way ahead.

Reaction Score
Folks use rating scales that they think put them in a good light.

When in school, I didn't like the fact that in big boy school, I never got excellent in "attendance". They didn't give a damn as long as you could ace the tests. I always could nail that old attendance grade in middle school though.

Talking football? Well....let's talk academics instead. Everybody falls for it but SEC fans...who just snort and rumble on..... secure in their certitude of what really counts in a sports conference. And that they bottle it.

Reaction Score
Do you really expect him to say something like:

"I am deeply ashamed that one of our founding universities has been participating in a near two decade long academic fraud that questions not only its athletic integrity but, indeed, its academic integrity as well. My shame is in no way lessened by the fact that this fraud began while I was the athletic director of that university. To be honest, I don't sleep well at night thinking about the shame that has been heaped upon a once great institution. But UNC is not alone in the the threat of sanctions. Syracuse University is also being investigated for a decade long, or quite possibly longer, history of improper benefits and the hiding of those benefits from the NCAA. That's two of our top basketball schools that may well have to vacate a combined 3 national championships. The shame of that is just staggering. One the plus side, however, the ratings of a game involving a glorified community college and a school with an apparent willful cover up of a rape did quite well. So, um, at least there's that."

I didn't. I would expect him to tout conference academics while he can. It is tougher to make those claims when one of your universities has lost accreditation.

No I didn't, and he didn't.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The ACC is a cesspool right now.

Syracuse, Florida State, North Carolina, Miami, Georgia Tech....their house is not in order.

Reaction Score
Before Louisville replaced Maryland, this site (http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...nkings-of-top-six-football-conferences-092012) gave an ACC average of 51.2 and a B1G average of 57.5. The current USNWR list includes UConn at #58 among national universities, Maryland at #62, and Louisville at #161 (http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/data/page 6). So after Louisville-for-Maryland swap the ACC lose 99 spots / 14 schools or 7.1 off its average so we'd have ACC about 58.3 behind the B1G's 57.5.

Of course if you ranked based on graduate metrics instead of USNWR, the B1G would be way ahead.
The ACC is at 54.8. Swofford wouldn't use an incorrect number that all in the room could disprove by simply running an average calculation. The ACC has 15 members competing in at least 15 sports each, so you must have left someone out. That looks about right for the B1G.

Reaction Score
Aside from its original Carolina core (and maybe UVA and UMCP), the genesis of the ACC has been more reactive, rather than proactive. Despite attempts at appearing as a united front, the disparate amalgamation of distinct types of academic models with differing missions (public, private, small, large, southern, northern, research-AAU, non-AAU, Catholic, non-sectarian) will be difficult to maintain long-term.

I have to admit I was a little worried about the North - South culture difference being an issue. It hasn't been. The public - private has worked for 60 years just fine. No worries there. Catholic is relatively new, so we'll see how that goes. BC has been here a decade, and now we have Notre Dame. So far it's going fine. None of the new members have had to be fined by the league or have their ADs apologize to everyone in their first season as a member for bad behavior. Louisville hasn't completed their's yet, but no problems so far. The ACC is used to diversity this way where another league might not be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom