B1G | Page 101 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Again I think you miss the larger point. The ugly incidents were aimed at the one program that both schools' fanbases seem to hate like no other. The PSU/RU Game was like The Super Bowl and World Series all in one to RU Fans. Last week's game was hyped to no end on The Terps end. To PSU Fans they were both just another game on the schedule. In time they may be rivalries, but not yet. I believe UMD will be competitive in most sports in the conference, and middling in football. Rutgers I'm not convinced. That said I'm happy to have two more close by away games to visit should I feel like being verbally abused for a few hours.

I understand perfectly. And more power to you. Have the Big Ten add West Virginia, and then you'd win the trifecta of nearby road games where you can be verbally abused by opposing fans with serious inferiority complexes. Right now you're just at the exacta. LOL.

Reaction Score
The 'Super Mega B1G'

West:
Illinois
Iowa
Minn.
Neb.
Wis.
Mizzou
Kansas

Central:
Ind.
Mich.
MSU
Northwestern
OSU
Purdue
ND

East:
Maryland
PSU
Rutgers
UNC
Duke
GT
UVa

Okay, I think that's right...I'm pretty hung-over so I can't be sure.......gonna forward to B1G officies now.

(Oh, almost forgot... add University of Toronto and Mcgill University as associate members)

Reaction Score
I understand perfectly. And more power to you. Have the Big Ten add West Virginia, and then you'd win the trifecta of nearby road games where you can be verbally abused by opposing fans with serious inferiority complexes. Right now you're just at the exacta. LOL.
There clearly is no worry of an inferiority complex at UVa. Geez.....

Reaction Score
I get the idea that players and fans from one team may put more emphasis on a rivalry or potential rivalry than the other team. That clearly is the case with Maryland vs. PSU, and apparently is still the case with MSU vs. Michigan. That, of course, does not excuse the pre-game behavior of the players, no matter what their reason for doing it. But as you and others suggested, this is very minor compared to other things going on right now. Just an excuse for some with irrational hatred to expose their grossly smug pretentiousness.

As for the UMD fans, I've been to plenty of contests in the past. While I abhor the the disrespect I have witnessed, it didn't seem any worse, in general, than fans from other college teams. I haven't been to as many UMD contests lately, so that may have changed.

If you really want to be verbally abused for a few hours, try going to a Flyers game. That is, by far, the worst fan behavior I have ever encountered.

Lol. Try sitting in the 700 Section of the old Vet. That made attending Flyers Games look like choir practice. It was beautiful.:)

Reaction Score
Your post looks incredibly biased and outrageously immature considering UNC has been caught cheating on an unprecedented level & is now backpedaling via a sneaky, hoping to get away with it, manner.

You can't defend the ACC's mega, constant expansion over the past 20 years - it was unethical and it ruined the one conference that simply held it's own, esp UConn, against ACC basketball, aka the northern carpetbaggers conference. The Big East was also a very underrated football conference. Have Duke or UNC won a NC over the past 30 years without a Yank, really Yanks? Oh wait, UNC hasn't fairly won a NC since 1994, maybe 1982. And I nearly forgot the legendary Tobacco Road coaches: Valvano, K, McGuire, Sloan and Smith are Yanks as well - so no NC's have ever been fairly won by an ACC school dependent on homegrown talent.

Good God, why do you even come on here? Aren't you just elated at the new ACC and 1/2 membership of ND? You have no need to troll these boards.

I don't really see the point of arguing about UNC and Duke here. The UNC academic scandal has been public knowledge for about 5 years now. The football coach was fired, and the now it implicates the basketball program. It will sort itself out.

Reaction Score

I would add WVU in a heartbeat, before I would ever consider adding a garbage program like Pitt. They are the single worst fan base in both support and behavior. Nothing like being a child and being told to go F myself by a drunk middle aged yinzer woman. They're the ACC's welfare case now.

Reaction Score
The Big Ten would never add West Virginia due to academics. Not only are they not an AAU school, I don't think they have even made it a goal at this point.

Reaction Score
I don't really see the point of arguing about UNC and Duke here. The UNC academic scandal has been public knowledge for about 5 years now. The football coach was fired, and the now it implicates the basketball program. It will sort itself out.

You're such a joke. You're completely comfortable glossing over the largest academic scandal in the history of the ACC (and perhaps college sports) because it's been well-known for 5 years and will "sort itself out" but you're "elated" that your university is no longer associated with lawless Maryland, which didn't shake Penn State's hand and had a soccer coach who was fined for yelling at a ref that didn't call a foul when a Northwestern player damn near ripped his player's shirt off as he yanked him to the ground?

Why are you so upset about Maryland to point that you come to a UConn board to dog the school and anyone associated with it? When Maryland annouced it was leaving the ACC, I coped and immediately shifted my focus to developing a healthy disdain for Michigan, Penn State, and Ohio State. You know, the schools my school would actually be playing. Maryland and UVa aren't linked anymore. You really should move on. I don't know which Maryland fan peed in your Corn Flakes and mad you so mad, but it seems justified.

Reaction Score
I don't "hate" Maryland...I am just happy that they are no longer on the schedule. I hope that they do well in the Big Ten East.

Reaction Score
Texas is not a cultural fit, ND won't join. Think you are correct: "The ACC isn't well thought out and it isn't built for the long term." Keep it quiet though...don't want the guy from UVa to hear.

There is a third possibility and one that many here haven't thought of: What if Texas and ND decided in the future that they'd be better off getting together and forming a new conference? They could take Florida State, Oklahoma, Clemson, TCU, Baylor, Louisville, WVU and a few more with them. It would be a conference whose football matches the SEC and may make as much money as the B1G/SEC. You'd have the Texahoma, Southeast and parts of the South and Northeast represented. ND would be able to bring in Pitt and Boston College, schools that they love to play against. It would be as close to a national conference, which would be the scenario that could convince ND to join. The trick would be how many schools could be taken in order to overcome the GoR issue in both the B12 and ACC but that combined conference is already better on paper than either of them separately. Does Kansas go to this new conference or to the B1G if they offer? Iowa State would certainly hope that there would be a spot for them, unless the PAC offers.

Without the football schools (especially if the ND-Texas alliance becomes a reality) I think the founder schools would find it difficult to hang on and that's when you'd see them start talking to other conferences.

Reaction Score
Maybe Texas but ND would have zero interest in being associated with most of those schools. There is no ND-Texas alliance to be had, especially when it comes to athletic conferences.

Reaction Score
There is a third possibility and one that many here haven't thought of: What if Texas and ND decided in the future that they'd be better off getting together and forming a new conference? They could take Florida State, Oklahoma, Clemson, TCU, Baylor, Louisville, WVU and a few more with them. It would be a conference whose football matches the SEC and may make as much money as the B1G/SEC. You'd have the Texahoma, Southeast and parts of the South and Northeast represented. ND would be able to bring in Pitt and Boston College, schools that they love to play against. It would be as close to a national conference, which would be the scenario that could convince ND to join. The trick would be how many schools could be taken in order to overcome the GoR issue in both the B12 and ACC but that combined conference is already better on paper than either of them separately. Does Kansas go to this new conference or to the B1G if they offer? Iowa State would certainly hope that there would be a spot for them, unless the PAC offers.

Without the football schools (especially if the ND-Texas alliance becomes a reality) I think the founder schools would find it difficult to hang on and that's when you'd see them start talking to other conferences.

That idea is so completely random you would think that Tuxedo Yoda or MH3 had authored it. Why would a bunch of schools lacking similar academic profiles, geography, or shared history suddenly partner up at the behest of the 2 schools that have historically displayed either a lack of interest(ND) or inability(UT) of playing nice with others? Money does not instantly buy stability or overcome the distrust that many of these schools would feel for each other.

pj

Reaction Score
There is no cultural affinity at all among those schools, and not much geographic proximity. It would be purely an alliance for money-making and as soon as a better offer came along, somebody would split. That group would be so unstable it's hard to imagine it coming into existence at all.

It would be more plausible to imagine an association of football independents with scheduling agreements, starting with Texas, Notre Dame, BYU, and possibly UConn, plus a few other schools that might breakaway thinking they could make more money as independents than in their conferences -- say, Florida State, Oklahoma, maybe a few others. If they could play games amongst themselves and also get a deal with ESPN in which they each get ~3-5 games each a year against SEC and ACC teams, then football independence would be reasonable again. This would be a way for them to capture value as individual schools without sharing with conference mates.

Reaction Score
There is no cultural affinity at all among those schools, and not much geographic proximity. It would be purely an alliance for money-making and as soon as a better offer came along, somebody would split. That group would be so unstable it's hard to imagine it coming into existence at all.

It would be more plausible to imagine an association of football independents with scheduling agreements, starting with Texas, Notre Dame, BYU, and possibly UConn, plus a few other schools that might breakaway thinking they could make more money as independents than in their conferences -- say, Florida State, Oklahoma, maybe a few others. If they could play games amongst themselves and also get a deal with ESPN in which they each get ~3-5 games each a year against SEC and ACC teams, then football independence would be reasonable again. This would be a way for them to capture value as individual schools without sharing with conference mates.
I should imagine regarding the B1G, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. True of the SEC, ACC, etc. Well, I shouldn't say it's true. Rather, I should say I believe it to be true. I don't have data to support my position.

Reaction Score
I should imagine regarding the B1G, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. True of the SEC, ACC, etc. Well, I shouldn't say it's true. Rather, I should say I believe it to be true. I don't have data to support my position.
On the other hand empirical evidence would suggest this position is indeed, correct, notwithstanding the absence of data.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
Yo, pj... BTN wants their $45 million back. Come on...ya couldn't beat Army???

You have to understand, we hired a coach from New Jersey. You have to expect a slow learning process. We'll get there.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

I think there is a fourth possibility that you may have not considered: the total destruction of the ACC. I think it may will go down like this.

1. UNC loses it's accreditation and part of the deal to get it back is de-emphasis of their athletic program. UNC drops out of the ACC and levels down to division 2.

2. Needing a team for football while keeping the basketball/Indiana market, the ACC trades ND for Purdue. ND goes full in for football.

3. UVA and Duke, not wanting to lose their connection with UNC, drop down to division 2 as well.

4. VT joins the Big10.

5. Not wanting to help UT in any way, The SEC brings in FSU and Clemson.

6. NCST and Miami join the AAC..

7. UT, OU, and KU see the writing on the wall and join ND in a the Big10.

8. Florida, being upset that FSU joins the SEC, leaves for the Big10, and takes UGA with them.

9. GT goes to the SEC, taking ECU with them.

10. WF, UL, Pitt, BC, and 'Cuse ask to join the AAC, but are denied.

ND gets their relationship with UT, UT gets to part of a The CiC, and The Big10 gets a whole lot of new and upcoming AAU schools.

See I can play this game.

Reaction Score
I think there is a fourth possibility that you may have not considered: the total destruction of the ACC. I think it may will go down like this.

1. UNC loses it's accreditation and part of the deal to get it back is de-emphasis of their athletic program. UNC drops out of the ACC and levels down to division 2.

2. Needing a team for football while keeping the basketball/Indiana market, the ACC trades ND for Purdue. ND goes full in for football.

3. UVA and Duke, not wanting to lose their connection with UNC, drop down to division 2 as well.

4. VT joins the Big10.

8. Florida, being upset that FSU joins the SEC, leaves for the Big10, and takes UGA with them.

ND gets their relationship with UT, UT gets to part of a The CiC, and The Big10 gets a whole lot of new and upcoming AAU schools.

Why did you type this? Is your time of so little value?

pj

Reaction Score

4. VT joins the Big10.

I think in that scenario the SEC replaces Florida and Georgia with Boise and UNLV, to capture the Idaho and Nevada markets.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I think in that scenario the SEC replaces Florida and Georgia with Boise and UNLV, to capture the Idaho and Nevada markets.

You forgot about the Alaska market.

Reaction Score
You forgot about the Alaska market.

People really need to expand their imagination here. I think that the teh SEC or B1G should add Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM) out of Mexico City. They have a cutting-edge Athletic Department that is ahead of even the SEC. Their soccer team plays at a 68K stadium and are a paid, professional soccer team (UNAM Pumas) that competes (and wins) in the top Mexican League, Liga MX. Not sure how good their other teams are; but, with 324,000 students (not a misprint), I am sure they can find enough bodies to fill out the rosters of any sport that they need to field. As the largest university in Mexico City, which has a city population of 8.8 million and a metro population of 21.2 million, and as the largest university in all of Latin America, that is a lot of TV eyeballs to be bought. Win win for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom