B1G | Page 103 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Right!

Except for providing competition, ardent fans, and a great football atmosphere...Maryland was all right. A "w" that could be inked in at the beginning of the season.

But there is a reason that FSU fans are happy with the exchange. We would be almost as thrilled to have BC go to the B1G.

You;re wrong on all counts. Louisville provides LESS competition. Look at their rankings over the years, look at their wins. Great football atmosphere? When FSU visits maybe. When UConn played them 2 years ago, they were ranked in the top 10 and the place was half-filled. Again you give great evidence that you have severely overestimated the value of Louisville. UConn knows because we played them for 10 years and split the football games.

Reaction Score
UMD at their football peak was probably a hot ticket and an exciting venue for football. Perhaps this is the peak for Louisville? Regardless I think the point that is being discussed is the wisdom of discounting UMD's strategic advantages while slobbering over Ville's tactical ones. Not because we care about either school, but because it is the ACC's decision-making that has created such a vibrant CR board here. I think you know this and are being obtuse in order to tacitly troll us.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
If conference realignment is about winning a football game, then moves like Louisville replacing Maryland will excite you. For me, it's about more than that. Sports is a means to an end for ambitious universities. Athletics is such a small slice in a much bigger pie for these schools. It's great that Big Ten schools are predicting $45 million in 2017 for playing football and basketball, but think of the billions of dollars CIC universities will attract for research in the next 20 years. That's the stuff that brings prestige, reputation, rock star faculty, and lofty academic rankings. (See: Penn State's academic rise over the last 20 years.)

The thing I most appreciate about Big Ten membership is the association with the universities. There's no shame at all in being an ACC member, but the Big Ten defines institutions. Each school is huge (Northwestern aside) and well regarded for academics, research, and facilities and have big endowments and top-50 athletic departments (save a couple of bottom dwellers). It's not by chance that every Big Ten school (Maryland and Rutgers excepted) have endowments north of $1 billion and ridiculously nice facilities for sports programs like field hockey and women's volleyball. That's the table I want my school to sit at. It's a truly impressive assemblage of peer universities.

In my opinion, Swafford has been reactive in CR since 2003. He's got properties in most of the major markets along the eastern seaboard and he's still not close to having a network, which is clearly the linchpin in this era of college athletics. ACC leadership has to stop thinking so small time if it wants to leapfrog the top P5 conferences in revenue, which is what really has to happen to appease FSU and Clemson.

Earlier in this thread, someone said the ACC is as strong as ever. I disagree. I think it's tougher than ever to leave the ACC, but the discontent that showed itself in 2012 doesn't just go away with a GOR. The Notre Dame deal really turned my stomach.

Reaction Score
UMD at their football peak was probably a hot ticket and an exciting venue for football. Perhaps this is the peak for Louisville? Regardless I think the point that is being discussed is the wisdom of discounting UMD's strategic advantages while slobbering over Ville's tactical ones. Not because we care about either school, but because it is the ACC's decision-making that has created such a vibrant CR board here. I think you know this and are being obtuse in order to tacitly troll us.
Obtuse...
TheShawshankRedemptionMoment11.jpg

Reaction Score
In the past 10 years the ACC has added VPI, Miami, Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, and L-ville. Not one flag-ship although VPI is right up there. Lost Maryland. I'd say the ACC is a very good collection of fine universities but I don't believe it's a good long term plan. Publice, Private, Large, Small, and of course, ND. Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies...

Reaction Score
The ACC feels like a random buffet line for a restaurant. It looks sort of cool and is exciting for awhile. But it doesn't really have an identity and isn't likely to become known as a quality restaurant.

The best restaurants have a main type of food they specialize in.

That is what the BIG is. It doesn't just grab anything that looks cool. It looks for certain things that will ensure a lasting and profitable relationship.

Why I love the BIG and all the schools within it. Except Michigan of course ;)

Reaction Score
The ACC feels like a random buffet line for a restaurant. It looks sort of cool and is exciting for awhile. But it doesn't really have an identity and isn't likely to become known as a quality restaurant.

The best restaurants have a main type of food they specialize in.

That is what the BIG is. It doesn't just grab anything that looks cool. It looks for certain things that will ensure a lasting and profitable relationship.

Why I love the BIG and all the schools within it. Except Michigan of course ;)
Got a big game coming up against VT, right? Don't trip up or it will cost you,

Reaction Score
A question before I call it a night. I have been here just over a week and the prevailing feelings I get are unhappiness, discontent, longing. If only we get that call from the B1G. If only we can join the AAU. Comparing enrollment with other schools, academics, stadium size, etc. My question: Why is UConn unhappy just being UConn? Of course, UConn is a thing, an idea and cannot be happy or otherwise. It's the people who love the place who seem unhappy. I attended a mid-major in the middle of B1G country. Talk about no respect. Yet I love my school and that town. Met my wife, had a blast, joined a fraternity, earned my degree, played sports, drank beer, studied...all the stuff one does at school. We had rivalries, occasionally beat a B1G team. It was fun. All the other stuff was just 'stuff'. At least it seemed that way to me. UConn, if I may be so bold, duckk the ACC. You don't need them and it's their loss not to have you. Oh, screw the B1G as well. It's a terrible fit and no-one should sit by the phone hoping to take their call. I've never been to UConn. But I have every confidence it's a lovely school with good academics, situated in a nice town and populated by students who should be having the time of their lives, not worrying about a bunch of ancillary stuff. Ok, that said, I must be wrong. I've read too much and people are angry and upset. So, then, please tell me why UConn is unhappy just being Uconn? I not kidding...I truly want to know.

Reaction Score
I think the fact that nearly every UCONN fan on here prefers the B1G to the ACC is proof enough the B1G is superior. As if there was any doubt.

Reaction Score
A question before I call it a night. I have been here just over a week and the prevailing feelings I get are unhappiness, discontent, longing. If only we get that call from the B1G. If only we can join the AAU. Comparing enrollment with other schools, academics, stadium size, etc. My question: Why is UConn unhappy just being UConn? Of course, UConn is a thing, an idea and cannot be happy or otherwise. It's the people who love the place who seem unhappy. I attended a mid-major in the middle of B1G country. Talk about no respect. Yet I love my school and that town. Met my wife, had a blast, joined a fraternity, earned my degree, played sports, drank beer, studied...all the stuff one does at school. We had rivalries, occasionally beat a B1G team. It was fun. All the other stuff was just 'stuff'. At least it seemed that way to me. UConn, if I may be so bold, duckk the ACC. You don't need them and it's their loss not to have you. Oh, screw the B1G as well. It's a terrible fit and no-one should sit by the phone hoping to take their call. I've never been to UConn. But I have every confidence it's a lovely school with good academics, situated in a nice town and populated by students who should be having the time of their lives, not worrying about a bunch of ancillary stuff. Ok, that said, I must be wrong. I've read too much and people are angry and upset. So, then, please tell me why UConn is unhappy just being Uconn? I not kidding...I truly want to know.

Can't get enough of this!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Oh because you met your wife at Kent State I should be satisfied watching UConn play SMU and Temple.

You might be too stupid to insult.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
As if it wasn't bad enough UConn has to play Tulane and East Carolina in basketball I have to listen to ACC and Big 10 fans argue about their conference affiliations. With a MAC troll thrown in for good measure.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think the fact that nearly every UCONN fan on here prefers the B1G to the ACC is proof enough the B1G is superior. As if there was any doubt.

We prefer the Big Ten because they have only tried to kill us once, while the ACC has tried like five times.

Reaction Score
I hate the ACC for pillaging the B.E. I hate the B.E. for not being able to make it work. I hate the Catholics for allegedly holding the football schools hostage. I hate the football schools for jumping ship. I hate ND because. I hate espn. I hate the NCAA. I hate geography and endowments and CR. But I love the Huskies!

pj

Reaction Score

We have gotten used to being an elite level athletics competitor, like it, and want to maintain and even improve that status. It's plain that the major conferences are forming are cartel and, if they get away with it, will not allow schools outside their cartel to compete on a level playing field. So we want to join a major conference. We also want contiguous rivals. That leaves B1G and ACC. The B1G is better.

Reaction Score
Do you think present UConn students care about the AAC? Many of us who are graduates wouldn't be accepted with the admission standards UConn has now. UConn will eventually get into either the B1G or the ACC.

Reaction Score
We prefer the Big Ten because they have only tried to kill us once, while the ACC has tried like five times.
Losing Rutgers is an attempted murder??

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
UConn would be happy just being UConn if UConn was allowed to be UConn. The 5CSMA have well funded athletic departments and want to exclude everyone else for no perceivable rhyme or reason.

There is zero merit to system in selecting some of the 65 HAVES. Only that television networks are happy to throw $25 Million at Wake Forest for the privilege of showing Penalversity of North Carolina and Florida State Penal Institution University, They will trade Kentucky for non-Kentucky SEC schools and Indiana and Purdue for MSU, UM, OSU, and Wisconsin. It's worth it to them because UM, MSU, the SEC, etc. are each worth $50 Million and their value make up the deficit of the B.C.'s, Wakes, Kentucky's, and Indianas of their conference (in both following and market).

The purpose of the University is to educate. No doubt about it. But the current purpose of the athletic department is exposure...getting the brand out there, but
Some of these school administrators woke up to find that they are on third and think they hit a triple. UConn won it's first Men's National Title in 1999. Applications jumped 50% for the 2004 graduation class. That is not a coincidence.

Reaction Score
Thank you Huskybite for that lovely video...beautiful - just as I thought.
Thank you pj for your typically thoughtful reply.
Thank you UCONN13KC for your response, though I wish you liked more and hated less.
Thank you HUSKY25, I understand your point.
I appreciate you all taking the time to help me understand.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Do you think present UConn students care about the AAC? Many of us who are graduates wouldn't be accepted with the admission standards UConn has now. UConn will eventually get into either the B1G or the ACC.
Butch, thanks for your reply. I must admit I am confused...are your three points related?

Reaction Score

My two cents.

First, I want UConn to be able to compete against the best athletically like we have done for the last 30+ years and for better or worse (worse in my opinion) money is needed to do so and without a P5 affiliation and the money that comes with it, it is unlikely that UConn will be able to compete with the best over the long-term, especially football.

Second, I want UConn to be one of the leading public research universities in the US as it will not only help future UConn gradates;but, my own value (degree), too. While the 'rankings' have their issue, of the top 25 Public Research Universities in the country (US News 2014), 21 of the Top 25 are affiliated with a P5 conference while 4 do not offer D1 football (UC - San Diego, UC - Irvine, UC - Santa Barbara, and William & Mary) and just 1, UConn, offers D1 football and is not a P5 member. That is a clear coloration between top flight academics and to flight athletics (for better or worse).

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandr...ges/rankings/national-universities/top-public

Reaction Score
My two cents.

First, I want UConn to be able to compete against the best athletically like we have done for the last 30+ years and for better or worse (worse in my opinion) money is needed to do so and without a P5 affiliation and the money that comes with it, it is unlikely that UConn will be able to compete with the best over the long-term, especially football.

Second, I want UConn to be one of the leading public research universities in the US as it will not only help future UConn gradates;but, my own value (degree), too. While the 'rankings' have their issue, of the top 25 Public Research Universities in the country (US News 2014), 21 of the Top 25 are affiliated with a P5 conference while 4 do not offer D1 football (UC - San Diego, UC - Irvine, UC - Santa Barbara, and William & Mary) and just 1, UConn, offers D1 football and is not a P5 member. That is a clear coloration between top flight academics and to flight athletics (for better or worse).

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandr...ges/rankings/national-universities/top-public
Mr. Conehead, I can see your point. Thank you for taking the time to write back and expressing your opinions, providing applicable facts and attaching link. Took a virtual tour of UConn with video provided by Huskybite...beautiful place!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom