B1G | Page 105 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's not being cynical - it's being logical.

Penn State made a calculated risk to call the NCAA's bluff, and it was absolutely the right move. The school and program are no longer under fire from the press. And remarkably, the only ones whose reputations have been tarnished are no longer with the program (or dead).

I still think UNC will get hammered by the NCAA, though. Now that the case has been reopened (mostly because nonstop pressed FORCED the NCAA to reopen it), they have no choice but to hand out a harsh punishment. And unlike the Penn State situation, the NCAA is well within its jurisdiction, which means UNC would have zero case against them.
The lawsuit that was settled named Penn State as a defendant along with the NCAA, i.e. they were on the same side. Penn State's party line this entire time has been to support the consent decree. It was a smart strategy for them to get someone else to do their dirty work. Also the Paterno estate lawsuit is still on the table, so the NCAA isn't out of the woods just yet. After those released emails last month plus the NCAA's sudden willingness to settle realizing that a trial really was going to happen, there must be some real juicy stuff they don't want made public. Some Pennsylvania congressmen are also looking to bring an investigation into the NCAA, so they really stepped in it this time.

Reaction Score
Reading some of the comments. Paterno is not a hero. He was a football coach who sacrificed the safety of children for his legacy. Pat Tilman and those who give life and limb for our safety are my heros.
First of all, if you Wikipedia it, it's Pat Tillman. Second of all, he was killed by "friendly fire". Third of all, he has nothing to do with Joe Paterno. Fourth of all, this has nothing to do with UConn and CR.

Reaction Score
First of all, if you Wikipedia it, it's Pat Tillman. Second of all, he was killed by "friendly fire". Third of all, he has nothing to do with Joe Paterno. Fourth of all, this has nothing to do with UConn and CR.

Someone peed on your Cheerios ?

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

I think it might have been BillyBud (or some other FSU fan).

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
B1G has an absolutely no brainer decision to make yet the people in charge can't smell the cash right under their noses. If the B1G took in Rutgers for television sets, the why not go the next step. Take in UConn and Boston College (or UMass on spec.) Not only does it solidity its position in the NYC market it also gives them the added small benefit of creating a fan base for all of New England.

Reaction Score
I'll take it a step further. Maybe he was intentionally shot by his own comrades. "Gave life and limb for our safety?" You have to be kidding. The reason we are in that country has nothing to do with terrorists. It has to do with a desire for our businesses to be able to extract the precious metals that are in the earth in that country in abundance. This statement also has nothing to do with CR, so I will chastise myself now.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Neither BC, nor and UMass have any effect whatsoever on NYC television sets. The Big 10 lose their shirt on that house.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Neither BC, nor and UMass have any effect whatsoever on NYC television sets. The Big 10 lose their shirt on that house.
They might have effects on the same television sets that watch the Red Sox and are looking for a college to cheer for in big time football.
This is not just about NYC, it's about 6 states.

Husky25

Reaction Score
They might have effects on the same television sets that watch the Red Sox and are looking for a college to cheer for in big time football.
No it won't. BC is already in the ACC AND they don't fit the Big Ten model. UMass cannot get coverage in their own region. Their 2013 A-10 semi final game was not televised in Western Massachusetts, let alone in the rest of the country. Patriot League tournament games are televised, and nary an SD TV camera (let alone High Def.) was in the building for a "major" basketball conference semi-final.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

For most folks in Boston, even some of their own Alumni, U Mass-Amherst is somewhere out west, maybe near Albany (NY)? The Hub's border ends around I-495 and Worcester. UConn mileage wise is actually closer. UMass gets no love from the TV networks nor the budget masters on Beacon Hill in Boston.

Husky25

Reaction Score
For most folks in Boston, even some of their own Alumni, U Mass-Amherst is somewhere out west, maybe near Albany (NY)? The Hub's border ends around I-495 and Worcester. UConn mileage wise is actually closer. UMass gets no love from the TV networks nor the budget masters on Beacon Hill in Boston.
The Peak of 495 is not Worcester. It is Marlboro/Northborough/Westborough, 10 minutes east of Worcester.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
pnow15 said:
B1G has an absolutely no brainer decision to make yet the people in charge can't smell the cash right under their noses. If the B1G took in Rutgers for television sets, the why not go the next step. Take in UConn and Boston College (or UMass on spec.) Not only does it solidity its position in the NYC market it also gives them the added small benefit of creating a fan base for all of New England.

NE can't support two top FB programs. Fortunately for us, NE currently doesn't have one.

NJ pop. 9 M
PA pop. 13 M
NE pop. 14 M

Remove the outskirts of ME, NH, and VT, factor in the relative lack of CFB fans and you have space for exactly one flagship program. That would be us.

So, it's a no brainer to add UConn, but a fool's errand to take another. Only BC as a Pitt to our Penn State would make any sense. And we know the B1G has no interest in schools like Pitt.

Reaction Score
NE can't support two top FB programs. Fortunately for us, NE currently doesn't have one.

NJ pop. 9 M
PA pop. 13 M
NE pop. 14 M

Remove the outskirts of ME, NH, and VT, factor in the relative lack of CFB fans and you have space for exactly one flagship program. That would be us.

So, it's a no brainer to add UConn, but a fool's errand to take another. Only BC as a Pitt to our Penn State would make any sense. And we know the B1G has no interest in schools like Pitt.
I agree NE doesn't have one top program but I think NE can support two good programs. It's too bad the brain trust in boston is too narrow minded to understand why competition is much more valuable than none. I also think a UCONN in the B1G could be better than UCONN in the ACC rivalry-wise. Clemson-USC; Florida-FL State. Obviously UCONN-BC would not be at that level, but we are talking about regional rivalries. Clemson-USC is still a rivalry when those teams stink. UCONN-BC could be an annual house-filler although neither would be playing for a play-off spot.
Imagine UCONN fans flocking to Boston for UCONN-BC AND Yankees-Red Sox? What could have been.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Imagine UCONN fans flocking to Boston for UCONN-BC AND Yankees-Red Sox? What could have been.

Non-Conference games are played in September. The Conference schedule wouldn't start until the end of September/beginning of October. Lining up a Sox/Yanks game the same weekend of a UConn/BC game would be a logistical nightmare. In addition, IF UConn were to be invited to the ACC, UConn would probably play BC on rivalry weekend in November.

Reaction Score
Non-Conference games are played in September. The Conference schedule wouldn't start until the end of September/beginning of October. Lining up a Sox/Yanks game the same weekend of a UConn/BC game would be a logistical nightmare. In addition, IF UConn were to be invited to the ACC, UConn would probably play BC on rivalry weekend in November.
So UCONN in the B1G would be the best outcome.
I don't know about logistical nightmare. Boston can handle it.

Husky25

Reaction Score
So UCONN in the B1G would be the best outcome.
That would be my ideal, yes.
I don't know about logistical nightmare. Boston can handle it.
I'm not talking about the City of Boston. I'm referring to the schedule makers.

pj

Reaction Score

I don't know why the World Series doesn't ask for a UConn-BC warmup game. It would improve the event and solve your logistical worries.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I don't know why the World Series doesn't ask for a UConn-BC warmup game. It would improve the event and solve your logistical worries.
About what in the Eatch-EE-Double hockey sticks are you referring?

Though they have been in the World Series 4 times in the last 10 years, doesn't mean the Sox will continue to advance that far every 2-3 years in the future.

pj

Reaction Score
About what in the Eatch-EE-Double hockey sticks are you referring?

Though they have been in the World Series 4 times in the last 10 years, doesn't mean the Sox will continue to advance that far every 2-3 years in the future.

That's OK, I'm willing to play BC in San Francisco, Kansas City, or wherever if it's the warmup for the World Series.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
I have to believe that if UMass got into the B1G that it would be equivalent of UConn getting into the Big East. Everyone supports their state college especially when it plays important games in an important conference. UConn fans weren't all gang busters about the Yankee Conference. How many people live in Nebraska, Iowa? The B1G wants television sets. Games could not be played in Foxboro?
I think that New England is a large nearly virgin territory or big time college football. There just isn't team yet.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have to believe that if UMass got into the B1G that it would be equivalent of UConn getting into the Big East. Everyone supports their state college especially when it plays important games in an important conference. UConn fans weren't all gang busters about the Yankee Conference. How many people live in Nebraska, Iowa? The B1G wants television sets. Games could not be played in Foxboro?
I think that New England is a large nearly virgin territory or big time college football. There just isn't team yet.
I suspect if Quinnipiac got into the B1G, it would improve their attendance as well and it's pretty much as likely as UMass getting in.

Husky25

Reaction Score

IF UMass were to get into the Big Ten, it would be much bigger than UConn getting into the Big East in 1979, but I certainly wouldn't waste time worrying about it if I were you, because that is never happening.

Congress at the Commonwealth level do not support UMass like the State of CT supports UConn. Western Massachusetts might as well be Nebraska or Iowa in the their eyes. On top of the fact that UMass football is only Division 1A by the slimmest of margins. Their own administration does not support football and if the citizenry immediately surrounding the University does not care enough to get a Conference Tournament basketball game in which the institution is a direct participant on TV, exactly how many TV sets does The Big Ten gain?

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
IF UMass were to get into the Big Ten, it would be much bigger than UConn getting into the Big East in 1979, but I certainly wouldn't waste time worrying about it if I were you, because that is never happening.

Congress at the Commonwealth level do not support UMass like the State of CT supports UConn. Western Massachusetts might as well be Nebraska or Iowa in the their eyes. On top of the fact that UMass football is only Division 1A by the slimmest of margins. Their own administration does not support football and if the citizenry immediately surrounding the University does not care enough to get a Conference Tournament basketball game in which the institution is a direct participant on TV, exactly how many TV sets does The Big Ten gain?

Your right. I don't know what I was thinking. No doubt that an 11-0 UMass or BC team playing 11-0 Ohio State would leave Gillette
stadium empty but for a few winos and not one of the 14 million televisions sets in New England would be turn on to watch.
In fact all 14 million sets will turned and tuned into a a session of the Congress of the Commonwealth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom