B1G | Page 104 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Quote from Delany about the B1G:

"It's a young league, good coaches, great resources, great fan bases," Delany said. "I think we'll be in a good place [with the TV deal]. What exactly it will be remains to be seen. But when you're successful, it certainly helps you."

He's talking about OSU winning the FB playoff but I'd like to think this works for BB too...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...big-ten-is-on-top-and-its-future-looks-bright

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Quote from Delany about the B1G:

"It's a young league, good coaches, great resources, great fan bases," Delany said. "I think we'll be in a good place [with the TV deal]. What exactly it will be remains to be seen. But when you're successful, it certainly helps you."

He's talking about OSU winning the FB playoff but I'd like to think this works for BB too...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...big-ten-is-on-top-and-its-future-looks-bright

The B1G basketball contract is also up in 2016-17, I believe. If deregulation passes, the B1G could add UCONN right away to add more weight to its negotiation power. As we've seen through the Wall St Journal, UCONN football is valued in line with other P5 schools. And we all know what kind of prime content the basketball programs provide.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
If we play the What If game... What if UConn joined the B1G a year ago? Then the conversation today would be about how absolutely dominant the league is, year round.

pj

Reaction Score
Yes. Hopefully after the CCG-scheduling deregulation passes and before the basketball contract is negotiated, there will be a window for us.

Reaction Score
Yes. Hopefully after the CCG-scheduling deregulation passes and before the basketball contract is negotiated, there will be a window for us.
It's really our only hope ,other than p5 fear of anti-trust violation ,
Either real or perceived . Sometimes ,in those cases ,even if you have the winning hand you lose.

Reaction Score
ever
PSU gets a walk. NCAA doesn’t want to go to court. ‘Death Penalty’ was the only conscionable punishment. Emmert is done. http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12179571/joe-paterno-111-wins-were-vacated-restored

Why stop at Emmert - the whole rotten empire (NCAA) should go.

BTW, the stated reason for the change was connected to the purported desire of the NCAA to free up and distribute the consent decree payment of $60mm for child welfare services. Certainly that would be a noble pursuit and that's what the NCAA wants us to believe was the driving force behind their decision to settle. This consent decree had been subject to inquiry as a result of a court action brought challenging the decree's constitutionality.

Me thinks , however, that there are a couple of other ulterior motives in play. Admittedly my opinion stems from my sincere belief that Emmert and the rest of the P.O.S. at the NCAA are primarily driven by their desire to maintain their overpaid, empty suit status. First, as part of the settlement, Penn State had to agree that the NCAA acted in "good faith", not driven by nefarious motives. Agreeing that the NCAA acted in "good faith" will assist Emmert and his pranksters to justify their continued employment as college sports most impressive example of the "Peter principle" at work.

Second, the restoration of Joe Pa's victories will save the NCAA from dreaded precedent when it must confront whether to wipe out UNC victories dating back forever for systemic academic fraud. I think the pitchforks would be brandished if Dean Smith lost even one victory. Emmert doesn't have the stomach for a battle with UNC even though it was a fraudulent operation for more than two decades. Take away the Joe Pa precedent and you don't have that explanation to make.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
PSU gets a walk. NCAA doesn’t want to go to court. ‘Death Penalty’ was the only conscionable punishment. Emmert is done. http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12179571/joe-paterno-111-wins-were-vacated-restored

I can't see how Emmert survives this either. He's made poor decision after poor decision and his actions/inactions have led to complete autonomous chaos. Under his leadership, the NCAA has shifted from amateur towards professional (and corrupt!).

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think the NCAA looked at their prospects of defending the agreement in court and probably wisely decided to settle.

It never made much sense to me why Penn State agreed to such a deal.

pj

Reaction Score
The NCAA had no case. Yet, it is remarkable how frequently they manage to have no case against P5 schools.

Reaction Score
ever

BTW, the stated reason for the change was connected to the purported desire of the NCAA to free up and distribute the consent decree payment of $60mm for child welfare services. Certainly that would be a noble pursuit and that's what the NCAA wants us to believe was the driving force behind their decision to settle. This consent decree had been subject to inquiry as a result of a court action brought challenging the decree's constitutionality.

Me thinks , however, that there are a couple of other ulterior motives in play. Admittedly my opinion stems from my sincere belief that Emmert and the rest of the P.O.S. at the NCAA are primarily driven by their desire to maintain their overpaid, empty suit status. First, as part of the settlement, Penn State had to agree that the NCAA acted in "good faith", not driven by nefarious motives. Agreeing that the NCAA acted in "good faith" will assist Emmert and his pranksters to justify their continued employment as college sports most impressive example of the "Peter principle" at work.

Second, the restoration of Joe Pa's victories will save the NCAA from dreaded precedent when it must confront whether to wipe out UNC victories dating back forever for systemic academic fraud. I think the pitchforks would be brandished if Dean Smith lost even one victory. Emmert doesn't have the stomach for a battle with UNC even though it was a fraudulent operation for more than two decades. Take away the Joe Pa precedent and you don't have that explanation to make.

I definitely see this move, unfortunately, as a way for UNCHeat to skate now - more than ever. Ironically, UNCHeat's sins are exactly where the NCAA has incredible jurisdiction.

Reaction Score
I think the NCAA looked at their prospects of defending the agreement in court and probably wisely decided to settle.

Its pretty simple actually. Those in the positions of true power and influence wanted it that way. I'm not talking about PSU's Puppet President at the time either. Like I've stated many times on this board when PSU has been discussed, this has been a two sided scam from day one with a predetermined outcome.

Jackazz Mark Emmert was allowed to grandstand and play the heavy against an entity that not only would not resist, was in fact encouraging him to act. In light of his epic failures of enforcement with Auburn, Miami, and UNC he simply could not resist the opportunity to play the tough guy. On the other side you had the ruling class of The PSU Board of Trustees who desired to divert 100% of the media's attention onto a football team, and away from the failures of far more culpable entities. When was the last time someone raised a question about any of the following? PA CYS, Dept of Welfare, State Police, AG Office(run by former Gov. Tom Corbett) and most notably The Second Mile Organization?

These organizations repeatedly screwed up in their handling of this case from day one. They failed for years to identify or address the issues raised by Jerry's involvement with kids. Social workers, cops, and psychologists failed to view Jerry as a true danger, yet football coaches and athletic directors should have been more aware? Well that's the story that The CEO of Merck and US Steel wanted you to believe. If Jerry was viewed as a football problem they would be less likely to have to explain to their shareholders why they and their companies were involved in supporting an organization(TSM) founded by a sexual predator.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can't see how Emmert survives this either. He's made poor decision after poor decision and his actions/inactions have led to complete autonomous chaos. Under his leadership, the NCAA has shifted from amateur towards professional (and corrupt!).

He won't survive the Paterno Lawsuit. There will be no settlement on their end. Wick Sollers and the Paterno legal team will eviscerate Marky Mark and Ed Ray when they take the stand. The NCAA over stepped their bounds in grand fashion, and those who pushed for it to do so will pay for it dearly. For those that hate the NCAA as much as I do for being a corrupt backwards organization that promotes greed over everything all I can say is "Get your popcorn ready."

Reaction Score
The NCAA had no case. Yet, it is remarkable how frequently they manage to have no case against P5 schools.

Especially against schools that commit flagrant and excessive violations of the rules they were supposedly invented to enforce. Honestly if you can't hammer UNC what the Hell is the point of having a regulating body. Might as well let individual conferences create their own rules and enforce them however they see fit. The SEC want to have 200 football scholarships, pay its players in gold bullion, and make literacy optional, knock yourself out. The NCAA won't stop them.

Reaction Score
ever

Clicking the like button twice. Well said

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

They were getting hammered at every turn. Consenting to an apparent severe punishment stopped the hemorrhaging. If I was a bit a more cynical, I might say that it was done with belief that they'd never serve the whole thing.

Reaction Score
They were getting hammered at every turn. Consenting to an apparent severe punishment stopped the hemorrhaging. If I was a bit a more cynical, I might say that it was done with belief that they'd never serve the whole thing.
It's not being cynical - it's being logical.

Penn State made a calculated risk to call the NCAA's bluff, and it was absolutely the right move. The school and program are no longer under fire from the press. And remarkably, the only ones whose reputations have been tarnished are no longer with the program (or dead).

I still think UNC will get hammered by the NCAA, though. Now that the case has been reopened (mostly because nonstop pressed FORCED the NCAA to reopen it), they have no choice but to hand out a harsh punishment. And unlike the Penn State situation, the NCAA is well within its jurisdiction, which means UNC would have zero case against them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom