B1G | Page 100 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have to admit I was a little worried about the North - South culture difference being an issue. It hasn't been. The public - private has worked for 60 years just fine. No worries there. Catholic is relatively new, so we'll see how that goes. BC has been here a decade, and now we have Notre Dame. So far it's going fine. None of the new members have had to be fined by the league or have their ADs apologize to everyone in their first season as a member for bad behavior. Louisville hasn't completed their's yet, but no problems so far. The ACC is used to diversity this way where another league might not be.

I'm pointing out your Maryland pot shot because you've said in the past that you don't take them. Why is Maryland constantly on your radar?

Reaction Score
Aside from its original Carolina core (and maybe UVA and UMCP), the genesis of the ACC has been more reactive, rather than proactive. Despite attempts at appearing as a united front, the disparate amalgamation of distinct types of academic models with differing missions (public, private, small, large, southern, northern, research-AAU, non-AAU, Catholic, non-sectarian) will be difficult to maintain long-term.

This is exactly why I lost faith in the ACC. Though I suppose the same holds true for a number of leagues, there's literally no singular thing connecting current ACC schools other than playing in the ACC. I kinda like that Big Ten schools share similar profiles.

pj

Reaction Score
The ACC is at 54.8. Swofford wouldn't use an incorrect number that all in the room could disprove by simply running an average calculation. The ACC has 15 members competing in at least 15 sports each, so you must have left someone out. That looks about right for the B1G.

It sounded like he was using last year's numbers, pre-Louisville.

Reaction Score
I'm pointing out your Maryland pot shot because you've said in the past that you don't take them. Why is Maryland constantly on your radar?
I have yet to watch any Maryland sporting event on television all year. I listen to Sirius XM College Sports Channel 91 in the car. Earlier in the Week they talked about the Big Ten fining Maryland for unsportsmanlike something, and the Rutgers AD had to publicly apologize for lewd signs a month ago at football game. My point is that we have not had to endure crap like this with the new ACC members, at least not yet.

Reaction Score
Folks use rating scales that they think put them in a good light.

When in school, I didn't like the fact that in big boy school, I never got excellent in "attendance". They didn't give a damn as long as you could ace the tests. I always could nail that old attendance grade in middle school though.

Talking football? Well....let's talk academics instead. Everybody falls for it but SEC fans...who just snort and rumble on..... secure in their certitude of what really counts in a sports conference. And that they bottle it.
The SEC bottles it in football, baseball, and I'll give them tennis and golf. My point is that forcing South Carolina and Kentucky to stuff their soccer teams in Conference USA and forcing Florida and Vanderbilt to stuff their lacrosse teams in the Big East is rather pathetic for a Power 5 Conference to be doing. Maybe the ACC could invite those 4 programs to join like the Big Ten did with Johns Hopkins for lacrosse. But then again the SEC would probably flip out if the ACC did so. Everyone seems to be waiting on what the Power 5 is going to do with the rules anyway. That may change a lot of stuff.

Reaction Score
UVA would be pulled down academically if they went anywhere different other than the Ivy League. And the Ivy League has chosen to not be a FBS level league, so they aren't an option. UVA plays many members of the Ivy League on a regular basis in soccer and lacrosse, so we'll have to settle for that as the best we can do for athletic association with them.

I was curious reading his post as to who from UVA was pushing SEC. That seemed interesting. There might be some football fans that would like it temporarily, but UVA isn't a football factory and would have a horrible time in that league just like Kentucky does.

Probably beside the point, but UVa would be deciding to join the IVY league in much the same way that I would be deciding to Mary a star billionaire,

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I have yet to watch any Maryland sporting event on television all year. I listen to Sirius XM College Sports Channel 91 in the car. Earlier in the Week they talked about the Big Ten fining Maryland for unsportsmanlike something, and the Rutgers AD had to publicly apologize for lewd signs a month ago at football game. My point is that we have not had to endure crap like this with the new ACC members, at least not yet.

Are you familiar with Syracuse University?

They've had a bit of trouble and the least offensive story about your current flag bearer involved their quarterback yelling, "F--- her right in the p---sy!" in the middle of the student union.

But sure, worry about Maryland and Rutgers.

You're too stupid to post here - please stop.

Reaction Score
And I don't think they would hesitate on the whole fbs thing, if an offer was pending.

Reaction Score
Are you familiar with Syracuse University?

They've had a bit of trouble and the least offensive story about your current flag bearer involved their quarterback yelling, "F--- her right in the p---sy!" in the middle of the student union.

But sure, worry about Maryland and Rutgers.

You're too stupid to post here - please stop.
"You're too stupid to post here - please stop"

Last time I pulled that pj charged me $45 million and secured BTN television rights for UConn football. Be careful Fishy !

Reaction Score
Do you really expect him to say something like:

"I am deeply ashamed that one of our founding universities has been participating in a near two decade long academic fraud that questions not only its athletic integrity but, indeed, its academic integrity as well. My shame is in no way lessened by the fact that this fraud began while I was the athletic director of that university. To be honest, I don't sleep well at night thinking about the shame that has been heaped upon a once great institution. But UNC is not alone in the the threat of sanctions. Syracuse University is also being investigated for a decade long, or quite possibly longer, history of improper benefits and the hiding of those benefits from the NCAA. That's two of our top basketball schools that may well have to vacate a combined 3 national championships. The shame of that is just staggering. One the plus side, however, the ratings of a game involving a glorified community college and a school with an apparent willful cover up of a rape did quite well. So, um, at least there's that."

I didn't. I would expect him to tout conference academics while he can. It is tougher to make those claims when one of your universities has lost accreditation.

It's no surprise that Swofford would tout the USNWR rankings, since the ACC comes out ahead, just as Delany might tout the USNWR global rankings. This serves both conferences well in terms of their academic associations and missions.

As to which criteria is more relevant to the academics of student-athletes, the answer is neither. For example, despite having an excellent USNWR ranking, UNC apparently has admitted students unqualified for high school, and relied on academic fraud to keep these students eligible. I suspect Swofford hasn't factored the fraud when highlighting graduation rates and general student-athlete academic accomplishments.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's no surprise that Swofford would tout the USNWR rankings, since the ACC comes out ahead, just as Delany might tout the USNWR global rankings. This serves both conferences well in terms of their academic associations and missions.

As to which criteria is more relevant to the academics of student-athletes, the answer is neither. For example, despite having an excellent USNWR ranking, UNC apparently has admitted students unqualified for high school, and relied on academic fraud to keep these students eligible. I suspect Swofford hasn't factored the fraud when highlighting graduation rates and general student-athlete academic accomplishments.

...and this and this alone, undoubtedly sticks in the craw of the Wahoos of UVA--as it should.

Reaction Score

This "crap" smells like a bed of roses compared to what is stinking to high heaven with the shenanigans at UNC, Syracuse, and FSU. If we are only counting new members, ND hasn't exactly avoided the crap factor. And the verdict is still out as to how much stink will emanate from the Louisville arena deal.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This Maryland business at PSU was nothing...I watched the game. I thought it was great, Maryland pumped up for a B1G game against a border state rival. Maryland played reasonably well and won. Kids and coaches were excited. Good stuff. The pre-game nonsense was just a bunch of bravado...kids jacked for the game. Good for you, Maryland. Quality win. Keep that edge. pj will pay your fines.

Didn't see the Rutgers problem. However, if 'the problem' was nasty signs directed at PSU, I may not have a problem with that.

Reaction Score

Let's pretend for the sake of arguement that you didn't know the difference between the situation with Rutgers/UMD v. PSU compared to ND/Louisville v. the entire ACC. On one hand you have 2 schools both looking for respect, and looking to spark a rivalry with a school that slapped both of them silly for over a century. What happended while disgusting(Rutgers) and unfortunate (MD) were not that shocking. If someting similar were to occur surrounding either of The ACC's new additions versus any of the existing members would be both disappointing and perplexing.

Reaction Score
Let's pretend for the sake of arguement that you didn't know the difference between the situation with Rutgers/UMD v. PSU compared to ND/Louisville v. the entire ACC. On one hand you have 2 schools both looking for respect, and looking to spark a rivalry with a school that slapped both of them silly for over a century. What happended while disgusting(Rutgers) and unfortunate (MD) were not that shocking. If someting similar were to occur surrounding either of The ACC's new additions versus any of the existing members would be both disappointing and perplexing.

Penn State is just so....ugh. First, James Franklin said he owns the state of Maryland and that the Terps should shut down their football program, the program he wanted to take lead before Edsall was hired. Then, Penn State's soccer coach claimed it was "disrespectful" to the other B1G coaches and programs for Maryland, this decade's winningest college soccer program and this year's Big Ten champion, to be picked to win the regular season title. PSU thinks the newbies will roll over in awe and haven't so far.

Reaction Score
Penn State is just so....ugh. First, James Franklin said he owns the state of Maryland and that the Terps should shut down their football program, the program he wanted to take lead before Edsall was hired. Then, Penn State's soccer coach claimed it was "disrespectful" to the other B1G coaches and programs for Maryland, this decade's winningest college soccer program and this year's Big Ten champion, to be picked to win the regular season title. PSU thinks the newbies will roll over in awe and haven't so far.

Are you sure he didn't also say that the ex-Governor of Maryland should be crucified? I thought I heard him say that. And he added for good measure that Maryland crabs taste like pee. As long as we're adding to the legend of what he supposedly said, let's just make stuff up.

Reaction Score
Ldandy, nothing involving unsportsmanlike conduct that the Maryland administration, athletes, or fans does is the least bit surprising to me. I don't even consider it newsworthy actually. The Maryland soccer coach was also fined for bad behavior at Northwestern last month. That doesn't involve Penn State. It would be the same for West Virginia. The riots WVU had a few weeks ago aren't exactly newsworthy either IMO. The mentality at both is the same. We've been used to dealing with Maryland behavior for a long time. We are now absolutely elated to no longer need to in the ACC. My point is that so far the new ACC members have not replaced that behavior. I'm not saying that the potential isn't there, but so far the new members are a dramatic improvement on every level. Good luck to the Big Ten with your new additions.

Reaction Score

Seriously? It's not like Franklin made those comments at Big Ten Media Day followed up with pulling Edsall's Underwear over his head. He made them at an event for hardcore PSU Fans who paid money to hear comments like that. I don't doubt for a second that these kind of things happen at events like this all over the country. I'm sure there was some sour grapes in how he left MD at play as well.

As for what he said? Meh it's not like it is without merit. PSU has feasted on both MD and NJ recruiting for decades, and with the staff he has in place that is not changing anytime soon.

I didn't catch the soccer coach's comments although I doubt they were all that inflammatory. UMD is a great soccer program no doubt, but it's not like the rest of the conference is dog meat. Multiple programs are ranked. PSU was the back to back defending champs, and IU has won national titles. What is wrong with questioning the new guy until he proves it on the field.

As for thinking the newbies will roll over, where has that been stated By myself or others. I have no love for UMD Fans, but I respect their overall athletic dept. BBall and Olympic Sports should fare well. Football will need time. Rutgers otoh has a loooong way to go in most sports, however money and exposure should help.

Reaction Score
Ldandy, nothing involving unsportsmanlike conduct that the Maryland administration, athletes, or fans does is the least bit surprising to me. I don't even consider it newsworthy actually. The Maryland soccer coach was also fined for bad behavior at Northwestern last month. That doesn't involve Penn State. It would be the same for West Virginia. The riots WVU had a few weeks ago aren't exactly newsworthy either IMO. The mentality at both is the same. We've been used to dealing with Maryland behavior for a long time. We are now absolutely elated to no longer need to in the ACC. My point is that so far the new ACC members have not replaced that behavior. I'm not saying that the potential isn't there, but so far the new members are a dramatic improvement on every level. Good luck to the Big Ten with your new additions.

Again I think you miss the larger point. The ugly incidents were aimed at the one program that both schools' fanbases seem to hate like no other. The PSU/RU Game was like The Super Bowl and World Series all in one to RU Fans. Last week's game was hyped to no end on The Terps end. To PSU Fans they were both just another game on the schedule. In time they may be rivalries, but not yet. I believe UMD will be competitive in most sports in the conference, and middling in football. Rutgers I'm not convinced. That said I'm happy to have two more close by away games to visit should I feel like being verbally abused for a few hours.

Reaction Score
Lifelong Ohio resident and Ohio State fan here.

Cool to see a fan base passionate about joining the Big Ten.

Obviously, the Big Ten has decided that it wants to migrate east to hit new T.V. markets by adding Rutgers and Maryland.

I do think the Big Ten will eventually have 16 teams. It makes scheduling a bit easier and major figures within the Big Ten have all alluded to the fact that expansion is at least possible if not likely.

AAU membership seems to be a key thing. I think Nebraska was an AAU member when it joined but was voted out shorty after joining the Big Ten. Even if they weren't, they had the other golden ticket by having a prestigious football tradition.

I think ACC schools are basically off limits with the new TV deal.

Thank goodness the Big Ten didn't add UNC. I have never liked them and with their recent scandals, I want no part of them. Georgia Tech doesn't make much sense from a geography standpoint. I don't think Virginia has a reason to leave the ACC.

If you look west, Kansas might be a decent fit depending on what happens with the Big 12. But they don't really have a strong market to tap into.

Missouri actually makes quite a bit of sense. They don't feel like an SEC team. And they fit from an AAU standpoint.

Looking south, Vanderbilt actually seems like a decent fit. Gives the Big Ten a new market and a top academic school. But I'm not sure they would ever leave the SEC.

Ideally, I think the Big Ten would want to add a strong football school who makes sense geographically. The only one that seems fits that bill is Notre Dame and that probably won't ever happen.

Therefore, I think UConn has a good shot to join. Probably need to get that AAU membership but the new market and basketball programs have to be intriguing to Delany and company. I think your football team could develop with Big Ten funding and the right coach. If we took at shot on Rutgers, there is no reason why the Huskies aren't worthy of being added.

A lot of Ohio State fans are looking to add a top flight football program to help with ranking and playoff aspirations. Big Ten football has been down lately and this has been a pretty bad year for a lot of teams. OSU included. I don't know how we could lose to Virginia Tech. But anyways, there isn't some dominant football team out there that makes sense geographically. We need to develop the conference and get Michigan and PSU back on track. So don't let any Big Ten fans give you crap about your football program. I remember your team in 2009 and 2010. Especially that Notre Dame overtime win.

The only schools I think are realistic targets if something happens in the next couple years:

Missouri-Geography, football, they don't really fit in the SEC, probably would jump at the chance to join.
UConn- Not in a Power 5 but should be. Big Ten wants to move East.
Vanderbilt- Academically a better fit in the Big 10.

As an aside, if Notre Dame ever wanted to join, they would get in.

But I wish you guys the best of luck. Certainly would be happy to see you join the best conference in the country.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Your post looks incredibly biased and outrageously immature considering UNC has been caught cheating on an unprecedented level & is now backpedaling via a sneaky, hoping to get away with it, manner.

You can't defend the ACC's mega, constant expansion over the past 20 years - it was unethical and it ruined the one conference that simply held it's own, esp UConn, against ACC basketball, aka the northern carpetbaggers conference. The Big East was also a very underrated football conference. Have Duke or UNC won a NC over the past 30 years without a Yank, really Yanks? Oh wait, UNC hasn't fairly won a NC since 1994, maybe 1982. And I nearly forgot the legendary Tobacco Road coaches: Valvano, K, McGuire, Sloan and Smith are Yanks as well - so no NC's have ever been fairly won by an ACC school dependent on homegrown talent.

Good God, why do you even come on here? Aren't you just elated at the new ACC and 1/2 membership of ND? You have no need to troll these boards.

Reaction Score
Again I think you miss the larger point. The ugly incidents were aimed at the one program that both schools' fanbases seem to hate like no other. The PSU/RU Game was like The Super Bowl and World Series all in one to RU Fans. Last week's game was hyped to no end on The Terps end. To PSU Fans they were both just another game on the schedule. In time they may be rivalries, but not yet. I believe UMD will be competitive in most sports in the conference, and middling in football. Rutgers I'm not convinced. That said I'm happy to have two more close by away games to visit should I feel like being verbally abused for a few hours.

I get the idea that players and fans from one team may put more emphasis on a rivalry or potential rivalry than the other team. That clearly is the case with Maryland vs. PSU, and apparently is still the case with MSU vs. Michigan. That, of course, does not excuse the pre-game behavior of the players, no matter what their reason for doing it. But as you and others suggested, this is very minor compared to other things going on right now. Just an excuse for some with irrational hatred to expose their grossly smug pretentiousness.

As for the UMD fans, I've been to plenty of contests in the past. While I abhor the the disrespect I have witnessed, it didn't seem any worse, in general, than fans from other college teams. I haven't been to as many UMD contests lately, so that may have changed.

If you really want to be verbally abused for a few hours, try going to a Flyers game. That is, by far, the worst fan behavior I have ever encountered.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I get the idea that players and fans from one team may put more emphasis on a rivalry or potential rivalry than the other team. That clearly is the case with Maryland vs. PSU, and apparently is still the case with MSU vs. Michigan. That, of course, does not excuse the pre-game behavior of the players, no matter what their reason for doing it. But as you and others suggested, this is very minor compared to other things going on right now. Just an excuse for some with irrational hatred to expose their grossly smug pretentiousness.

As for the UMD fans, I've been to plenty of contests in the past. While I abhor the the disrespect I have witnessed, it didn't seem any worse, in general, than fans from other college teams. I haven't been to as many UMD contests lately, so that may have changed.

If you really want to be verbally abused for a few hours, try going to a Flyers game. That is, by far, the worst fan behavior I have ever encountered.
Philly fans have a rep as the worse dating from the Eagle fan's snow ball attack of Santa Claus at a Christmas themed half time show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom