B1G | Page 97 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UVa is more of an undergrad school, and is prestigious enough that they're not going to drool over a chance to associate with Ohio State and Penn State. Va Tech would be drooling.

Well, I am sure the academic folks in Charlottesville right now are soooooo happy with their close affiliation with UNC right now and that is on top of old relationship with FSU (before any one jumps me, I know FSU outside of the questionable decisions made around its athletic department is a solid university) and new relationship with Louisville.

Reaction Score
UVa is more of an undergrad school, and is prestigious enough that they're not going to drool over a chance to associate with Ohio State and Penn State. Va Tech would be drooling.
Fine, VT to B1G, not UVA. Wouldn't that still open up a spot for UCONN in ACC? (For the record I don't believe VT in on B1G's shopping list. Believe UVA is. Everything I have read on the matter suggests VT to SEC, UVA to B1G, for what it's worth.)

Reaction Score
I should think UVa would be in good company - Michigan, Northwestern and University of Chicago (which is a CIC member as well.) Frankly, all B1G schools are AAU except Nebraska. 13 of 14. Unless your league is Ivy, B1G is reasonably good academic company to keep, think ye not?

Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are 15 schools in the ACC. Why doesn't UCONN get an invite to join the ACC now, making it two divisions of 8 schools each, an even 16. What am I missing??? Obviously something.

Reaction Score
Lynwood Rowe said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are 15 schools in the ACC. Why doesn't UCONN get an invite to join the ACC now, making it two divisions of 8 schools each, an even 16. What am I missing??? Obviously something.

Norte Dame isn't a full member.

pj

Reaction Score
I should think UVa would be in good company - Michigan, Northwestern and University of Chicago (which is a CIC member as well.) Frankly, all B1G schools are AAU except Nebraska. 13 of 14. Unless your league is Ivy, B1G is reasonably good academic company to keep, think ye not?

Good academic company, yes, but UVa is going to think of itself as ennobling the B1G more than the B1G ennobling it. UVa doesn't necessarily aspire to be the all-everything research powerhouse that Michigan is. I was responding to the word "drooling" - I think UVa would be fairly neutral between the ACC and B1G on academic terms, seeing UNC, Duke, Ga Tech, and for undergraduate education Miami and BC as academic peers in the ACC. Va Tech is much more the upstart, ambitious school and they will be the ones "drooling" for a chance to be regarded as a peer with the likes of Michigan, Wisconsin, and Ohio State.

Reaction Score
I heard that B1G really wants to push it's hockey league as a way to generate more content for its network. I wonder if they heard of that state flagship university that is near AAU status out of New England, which is the second biggest hockey market after Minnesota, that just beat #3 BC in front of 8,000 fans in their first season in a major college hockey conference?

Reaction Score
Good academic company, yes, but UVa is going to think of itself as ennobling the B1G more than the B1G ennobling it. UVa doesn't necessarily aspire to be the all-everything research powerhouse that Michigan is. I was responding to the word "drooling" - I think UVa would be fairly neutral between the ACC and B1G on academic terms, seeing UNC, Duke, Ga Tech, and for undergraduate education Miami and BC as academic peers in the ACC. Va Tech is much more the upstart, ambitious school and they will be the ones "drooling" for a chance to be regarded as a peer with the likes of Michigan, Wisconsin, and Ohio State.
Thanks for the clarification. However, if AAU membership means anything at all, UVa must be doing a sizable amount of research and receiving some hefty grants. I would assume the same of UNC, Duke an Ga Tech. - as all are AAU members. UVa my be a bit more focused on undergrad than, say a Michigan, but research is a big part of membership in the AAU club. (Neb. fans might have something to add to the discussion.) As far as UVa thinking of itself as ennobling the B1G, that is certainly the impression I got. Wow, they really are full of themselves (at least the ones with whom I have been in contact.) I believe they feel they would ennoble the Ivy... and who am I to suggest they wouldn't.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Did I catch you on the University of Chicago... a lot of people aren't aware of this affiliation with the B1G through the CIC. Of course Chicago was once part of what is now the B1G...that I'm sure you knew. Just trying to keep you on your toes...:)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I heard that B1G really wants to push it's hockey league as a way to generate more content for its network. I wonder if they heard of that state flagship university that is near AAU status out of New England, which is the second biggest hockey market after Minnesota, that just beat #3 BC in front of 8,000 fans in their first season in a major college hockey conference?
I've got to believe that the B1G would consider UCONN's Hockey program as a big plus. Adding another good program alone is important, but coming to play in N.E. would be HUGE, especially knowing that ND plays in Hockey East. That is how they grow the B1G Hockey brand. Just one more positive for our Flagship U. OF course, CR dictates that only football and AAU matter, but still. UCONN Hockey!

Reaction Score
I've got to believe that the B1G would consider UCONN's Hockey program as a big plus. Adding another good program alone is important, but coming to play in N.E. would be HUGE, especially knowing that ND plays in Hockey East. That is how they grow the B1G Hockey brand. Just one more positive for our Flagship U. OF course, CR dictates that only football and AAU matter, but still. UCONN Hockey!
They want to build the brand, but hockey is not a universal B1G activity. Only six members (I believe) have teams, and they would be the usual suspects - Wis., MI., MN, MSU, OSU and PSU. (Hockey in Nebraska? That's probably not a thing.) There are also a lot of regional college teams who play great hockey as well. Anyway, to the best of my knowledge, no conference ever expanded for want of an additional hockey team...no matter the quality. It's a plum, after the fact. (Put the biscuit in the basket, baby!)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They want to build the brand, but hockey is not a universal B1G activity. Only six members (I believe) have teams, and they would be the usual suspects - Wis., MI., MN, MSU, OSU and PSU. (Hockey in Nebraska? That's probably not a thing.) There are also a lot of regional college teams who play great hockey as well. Anyway, to the best of my knowledge, no conference ever expanded for want of an additional hockey team...no matter the quality. It's a plum, after the fact. (Put the biscuit in the basket, baby!)
B1G LaCrosse added Johns Hopkins. If a conference is worth doing, it's worth doing right.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

There's actually a really good hockey school in Nebraska (ranked #10 in the country as we speak)... It's just in Omaha not Lincoln. I wouldn't put too much on hockey making a difference... I'm not even 100% sure UConn would want to move out of Hockey East if we did go to the B1G... unless absolutely forced to by the conference.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

Some University of Nebraska fans want to move up to the B1G, but for now they are only a non-scholarship outfit.

Now University of Nebraska-Omaha does have a pretty solid squad that is playing in WCHA (Alaska, Minnesota State, Lake Superior, Bowling Green) at the relatively new Century-Link Arena, averaging between 5-8,000 a game (I think they are moving into an on-campus arena though).

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
There's actually a really good hockey school in Nebraska (ranked #10 in the country as we speak)... It's just in Omaha not Lincoln. I wouldn't put too much on hockey making a difference... I'm not even 100% sure UConn would want to move out of Hockey East if we did go to the B1G... unless absolutely forced to by the conference.

Let's be real, UConn would shoot its hockey team to the moon if that is what the B1G wanted.

Reaction Score

Hockey may not be universal in the Big Ten, but cashing in on BTN revenue is. Football is king, but for conferences that have ownership in a network, live programming of Basketball and Olympic sports is highly desirable. I can't remember if the B1G divides BTN revenue equally among members (recent additions aside). If so, non-hockey schools benefit from the interest and revenue generated from B1G Hockey.

Reaction Score
I knew someone was gonna call me out on the 'Nebraska hockey' thing if I didn't do my research. Point well taken, sir.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Let's be real, UConn would shoot its hockey team to the moon if that is what the B1G wanted.

Oh I agree... but that's not what I'm saying... :)

If it wasn't a deal breaker, UConn would probably prefer to keep the hockey team in Hockey East... but absolutely... they'd move it to the B1G in a heartbeat.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Oh I agree... but that's not what I'm saying... :)

If it wasn't a deal breaker, UConn would probably prefer to keep the hockey team in Hockey East... but absolutely... they'd move it to the B1G in a heartbeat.

No doubt. I love that we are playing regional schools and that those regional schools are nationally relevant.

Reaction Score
Hockey may not be universal in the Big Ten, but cashing in on BTN revenue is. Football is king, but for conferences that have ownership in a network, live programming of Basketball and Olympic sports is highly desirable. I can't remember if the B1G divides BTN revenue equally among members (recent additions aside). If so, non-hockey schools benefit from the interest and revenue generated from B1G Hockey.
To the best of my knowledge B1G divides BTN revenue equally (notwithstanding newer members)...take with a grain of salt: I also said they didn't play hockey in Nebraska !

Reaction Score
No doubt. I love that we are playing regional schools and that those regional schools are nationally relevant.
Playing BC, BU, PC, UVM in Hockey is exciting. Tulsa, UCF, and ECU in Hoops? Meh. Lots of potential here.

Reaction Score
Last year, there were online reports that B1G hockey teams get an additional $2 million in revenues from BTN for hockey programming. Since that time, I have not heard anything about this. I don't know if it was just a rumor or fact. If you Google "Big Ten Hockey $2 million" there are some interesting articles that come up.

Reaction Score
B1G LaCrosse added Johns Hopkins. If a conference is worth doing, it's worth doing right.

B1G added Hopkins for lacrosse so they could have a 6 team league & get an automatic qualifier to the NCAA tournament.

Same reason Penn St became the 6th hockey school

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds