B1G | Page 96 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
B1G is motivated solely by making reactionary measures to Notre Dame. So we're all waiting on ND...
This is not true. ND not coming to B1G. Too much bad blood over the decades. ND will do ANYTHING not to join B1G. Also believe B1G to be rather proactive rater than reactive. MD, PSU, Neb., Rutgers - all good pickups, if for different reasons.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If this happens, the expansion to 18 would probably include a VA school and Oklahoma/Mizzou.

Both VA schools aren't going to the SEC (VT Tech might be more desired as a football brand). And very strongly doubt either will settle for the Big 12.
Was on a UVa board a few days ago and they hate the idea of going to the B1G...I mean they really HATE it. I was run off the board for simply asking this question: "If the ACC blew up - for whatever reason - would UVa prefer SEC or B1G." I thought B1G would be a good (better) academic fit, perhaps the SEC would be a better geographic / cultural fit. Well, personal attacks notwithstanding, SEC won by about 98%. Don't believe either Virginia school going to B1G... UVa doesn't want to go, B1G doesn't want VT...

Reaction Score
If this happens, the expansion to 18 would probably include a VA school and Oklahoma/Mizzou.

Both VA schools aren't going to the SEC (VT Tech might be more desired as a football brand). And very strongly doubt either will settle for the Big 12.
Oklahoma can't B1G up...not a member of AAU. Kansas is AAU member and probably B1G bound at some point. Mizzou? Would not surprise me if they jumped from SEC to B1G. SEC does not (I believe) impose a penalty on members who leave, and Mizzou wanted to be / and should be in B1G. Mizzou also AAU member. If you are discussing B1G expansion simply look at the AAU member schools...that is the list of schools from which B1G will select.

Reaction Score
Was on a UVa board a few days ago and they hate the idea of going to the B1G...I mean they really HATE it. I was run off the board for simply asking this question: "If the ACC blew up - for whatever reason - would UVa prefer SEC or B1G." I thought B1G would be a good (better) academic fit, perhaps the SEC would be a better geographic / cultural fit. Well, personal attacks notwithstanding, SEC won by about 98%. Don't believe either Virginia school going to B1G... UVa doesn't want to go, B1G doesn't want VT...

Regarding the UVA fan base' thoughts about not going to the B1G, the same crap was coming out of Maryland for several years! How has that worked out for them so far? Pretty good I would say. With the new B1G tv deal that's projected to land a windfall of cash foe the league members, I would say there are about potentially $42 million reasons for the UVA fan base to be able to suck it up!!!

Reaction Score
Oklahoma can't B1G up...not a member of AAU. Kansas is AAU member and probably B1G bound at some point. Mizzou? Would not surprise me if they jumped from SEC to B1G. SEC does not (I believe) impose a penalty on members who leave, and Mizzou wanted to be / and should be in B1G. Mizzou also AAU member. If you are discussing B1G expansion simply look at the AAU member schools...that is the list of schools from which B1G will select.

Delaney is on the record as saying AAU status is not an essential criteria for acceptance to the B1G but is highly sought after. The B1G would ABSOLUTELY make an exception for Okla considering the $$$ they would bring with their tv market and national brand as it pertains to the next B1G tv contract.

Reaction Score
Regarding the UVA fan base' thoughts about not going to the B1G, the same crap was coming out of Maryland for several years! How has that worked out for them so far? Pretty good I would say. With the new B1G tv deal that's projected to land a windfall of cash foe the league members, I would say there are about potentially $42 million reasons for the UVA fan base to be able to suck it up!!!
I didn't know Maryland was complaining about the B1G as well. That's interesting. Do you know UVa people... are they softer on the ACC/B1G issue than I was led to believe? (Actually, that number is projected to be north of $45 million reasons for UVa people to suck it up, not to split hairs.)

Reaction Score
Delaney is on the record as saying AAU status is not an essential criteria for acceptance to the B1G but is highly sought after. The B1G would ABSOLUTELY make an exception for Okla considering the $ they would bring with their tv market and national brand as it pertains to the next B1G tv contract.
Delaney may be on record, but I can send you the email addresses of 13 B1G presidents who do no agree and, incidentally, have the final say on any expansion. Delaney is their lap dog when it comes to expansion. Nothing will get done w/o the presidents approval and they will not approve OK.

Reaction Score
Delaney may be on record, but I can send you the email addresses of 13 B1G presidents who do no agree and, incidentally, have the final say on any expansion. Delaney is their lap dog when it comes to expansion. Nothing will get done w/o the presidents approval and they will not approve OK.
Also, there is a 'rule' in the B1G that sez any new member must be in a state which is contiguous to an existing B1G state. I think that is going to be a problem for Oklahoma as well.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Also, there is a 'rule' in the B1G that sez any new member must be in a state which is contiguous to an existing B1G state. I think that is going to be a problem for Oklahoma as well.
Asked and answered.

The Big Ten opened an office in New York City, which is in New York State, which shares a border with New Jersey, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania. For all intents and purposes, Connecticut is contiguous.

I wonder how old that rule is anyway. Was it enacted during the bus era? Many teams take charter jets. I think they are even available in places like Norman as well.

I don't mean to be snarky...well, yeah, I kinda do...but everything road block you've thrown up has been hashed through time and again. Nothing is new here.

Reaction Score
This is not true. ND not coming to B1G. Too much bad blood over the decades. ND will do ANYTHING not to join B1G. Also believe B1G to be rather proactive rater than reactive. MD, PSU, Neb., Rutgers - all good pickups, if for different reasons.

I'm a visiting Michigan fan. That little piece of sarcasm was for my Notre Dame friends to see.

Reaction Score
Asked and answered.

The Big Ten opened an office in New York City, which is in New York State, which shares a border with New Jersey, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania. For all intents and purposes, Connecticut is contiguous.

I wonder how old that rule is anyway. Was it enacted during the bus era? Many teams take charter jets. I think they are even available in places like Norman as well.

I don't mean to be snarky...well, yeah, I kinda do...but everything ro you've thrown up has been hashed through time and again. Nothing is new here.
Well, actually, I'm new here...

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Well, actually, I'm new here...

First, welcome.

Second, as long as you don't trash UCONN, you'll be fine.

There are two things UCONN fans follow very closely: anything UCONN + conference realignment news/rumors. There is a really good chance that most CR stuff has been discussed here if you search the board's archives. I don't blame you if you don't want to search through thousands of posts (I wouldn't want to), I'm just saying that you might get a little northeastern love if you bring up something that's already been talked about here in great detail.

Again, welcome to the 'Yard.

Reaction Score
Welcome Lynwood Rowe. Yeah, you might want to begin every comment with "I'm new here" for a while because every possible angle of how UCONN has been kicked in the crotch has been hashed out ad nauseum.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the warm welcome Husky25, Dooley and UCONN13CK. I have no reason whatsoever to trash UCONN. I'm interested in conference realignment and expansion, and this seemed like a place where one could get some different perspectives. I'm from the Mid-West so I live in the bloody heart of the B1G. Good to talk to some ACC, AAC guys for a change of pace.

Reaction Score
Help the New Guy out if you would. I have been here for a while - reading posts, and frankly it seems to me both you (UCONN) and UMASS would like to be in the ACC, not the AAC and MAC respectively. Is the B1G a fall back position for UCONN? Is it about B1G money? Is it about the off-putting snobs in the ACC. Is B1G your first choice? What's the deal? In the future spots will be available in the ACC for both UMASS and UCONN. (Is it ok to say UMASS here?)

Reaction Score
Help the New Guy out if you would. I have been here for a while - reading posts, and frankly it seems to me both you (UCONN) and UMASS would like to be in the ACC, not the AAC and MAC respectively. Is the B1G a fall back position for UCONN? Is it about B1G money? Is it about the off-putting snobs in the ACC. Is B1G your first choice? What's the deal? In the future spots will be available in the ACC for both UMASS and UCONN. (Is it ok to say UMASS here?)
"Is the B1G a fall back position for UCONN?" You're funny. If I may. The B1G invitation would save the freaking day. That is all I want. I don't care about the money that comes with it. I just want to be in a conference that matters. I want nothing to do with the ACC. Nothing. Some here would, but not me. They've spurned us and burned us and tore apart the Big East. That's my sentiment and I'm sticking to it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The Big Ten is my first choice.

Reaction Score
B1G is the preferred landing spot by the majority form what I've read over the years, but all would gladly welcome an invite form the ACC or B12 over the AAC.

pj

Reaction Score
The B1G is everyone's first choice and it comes with respect, ACC is everyone's second choice and it comes with lots of animosity, B12 is third choice and would excite the football fans but seems an extremely remote possibility. Fourth choice is some kind of "best of the rest" conference with perhaps independent media deals.

Reaction Score
I did a little research on the Big East / ACC thing and I can see why animosity would be an issue. I understand the AAC is really not up to your standards, anymore than UMASS is at home in the MAC. Bad fit all the way around. I just can't see UCONN being left out of P5 indefinitely. I can, however, see it taking a while to rectify the matter.

Reaction Score

Plus the academia side of UVA would drool over being able to associate with B1G schools.

This is why at some point I believe, whether it happens in the next couple years as the B1G negotiates it's new deal or whether it happens at the tail end of the ACC deal, UVA ends up in the B1G

Reaction Score
Plus the academia side of UVA would drool over being able to associate with B1G schools.

This is why at some point I believe, whether it happens in the next couple years as the B1G negotiates it's new deal or whether it happens at the tail end of the ACC deal, UVA ends up in the B1G
Well, the UVA guys I talked to didn't think it was a very good idea (read: very bad). But I suspect they are not part of the UVA academic community...or any academic community for that matter. However, wouldn't that take care of the problem in some fashion... UVA to B1G, UCONN to ACC?

pj

Reaction Score
UVa is more of an undergrad school, and is prestigious enough that they're not going to drool over a chance to associate with Ohio State and Penn State. Va Tech would be drooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom