B1G, ACC battle for New York | Page 8 | The Boneyard

B1G, ACC battle for New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
UK is our main rival. They refused to play us until 1983 in basketball and 1996 in football. I've always enjoyed the rivalry with them and it's one of the best rivalries in college basketball.

Going forward we won't be playing Memphis or Cincinnati. You will be. We've moved past them. We're always looking to improve our position. Not too long ago we played in the Metro for basketball and independent in football. Then we joined CUSA. In 2005 we EARNED our way into a BCS conference. We're stuck in a crap league this season but in 2014 we'll be joining a true power 5 conference. There isn't another school in the country that has come further than us the last 20 years.

Your place in the world is in a league chock full of misfits on the outside looking in with nowhere else to go. Ours is in the best basketball conference in the country. Some of your fans have a hard time understanding and accepting that.

Serious question, how old are you? I was considering a blistering response but assumed from your posts you're likely 15 or 16 and being a jerk to you would be inappropriate.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Serious question, how old are you? I was considering a blistering response but assumed from your posts you're likely 15 or 16 and being a jerk to you would be inappropriate.

My thought exactly. Only a teenager would bother coming to another team's board to foolishly troll all day and night. Why does he/she do it? Because we're UCONN. I highly doubt he/she is spouting off on Cincinnati's board. Just put the kid on ignore.

Reaction Score
Blah blah blah. You don't know what YOU'RE talking about. You HAVE to have a good OOC schedule because your RPI will be garbage come March after having to play Podunk U in the AAC every week. After December everybody in the country will have forgotten UConn while you're playing your regional games that nobody cares about. UConn vs. Temple? Seriously? You think that draws ANY interest from anybody? UConn vs. Cincinnati featured two unranked teams. Big deal. If that's the highlight of your conference schedule then I truly feel bad for you.

Let's examine that 12 game theory. In a conference of 12 teams playing 18 conference games how many total games will there be? And if only 12 of those is "nationally broadcast" what percentage of the games played will be seen by anybody? And of those 12 how many will UConn be participating in? I have a feeling that number is a LOT lower than you'd expect. The truth is that nobody outside of Connecticut cares about UConn and thus your nationally televised games have been decreased as a direct result of not being able to leech off a powerful basketball conference anymore. That's also the same reason the TV deal is so low. You guys simply aren't worth anything.

Oh, and say goodbye to Big Monday. ESPN knew how pathetic this conference is with or without UConn and decided it was in everyone's best interests to give it to a real conference like the ACC. So no more prime time Monday slots for you.

Big Monday hasn't existed in a while, but a guy who roots for a team that was barely in the conference wouldn't know that. Yes, UConn v. Cinvcy was national TV. UConn is a top 5 blueblood, that's why. UConn's TV interest blows Louisville's out of the water, and that's why UConn's licensing is 2x Louisville's. That's basically everything you need to know.

Reaction Score
Have you ever watched Pitino on the sideline? He has this angry little foot slap/tap dance he does when he is upset with one of his players. It is, quite frankly, the most femine thing you will ever see in a mens basketball game.

Reaction Score
Your place in the world is in a league chock full of misfits on the outside looking in with nowhere else to go. Ours is in the best basketball conference in the country. Some of your fans have a hard time understanding and accepting that.

Thank you for your interest in Connecticut athletics.

Reaction Score
Facts? Is it not a fact that Louisville smeared UConn in the most recent meeting between the two schools? Is it not a fact that your arena has had trouble filling itself when your team isn't ranked in the top 5? Is it not a fact that Siva graduated? Please tell me what I typed that isn't a fact.

Getting ‘smeared’ is not the #1 team in thee country losing by half by 6 against a NCAA scholarship restricted, injury depleted (shows-up with ‘Ville outrebounding UConn by 8 and 44 points in the paint to 20) team who had nothing, i.e. no post season, to play for and then winning by just 15 (73 to 58).

Even Pitino was gracious calling it a ‘hard fought game by a good, well coached squad.’ Why? Because he knows that college basketball is highly cyclical, especially with the one and done's. Ask Kentucky. One year they win the NCAA title, the next they don’t make the NCAA at all.

‘Getting’ smeared is losing a NCAA national championship game by 33 points (93-60), the largest in deficit in NCAA history, on national TV. It was a 35 point deficit with 2 minutes to go when the Huskies started to pull starters. Combined with the ‘Ville’s last women’s NCAA appearance, a 2009 loss also to UConn by 22, and the ‘Ville’s NCAA title history is 0-2 (both to UConn) with an average loss of 28 points. Ouch.

As for the XL Center. It is a dump. A dump that is 40+ years old that was +90% full for this game and where UConn has a record of 229 and 84. Everyone knows that the XL needs to be replaced and that UConn’s on-campus arena needs to a rehabilitation project or replacement. It will take time for this to be sorted out as anything involving state politics will.

Just ask Louisville, it took 10+ years to finally agree upon a new arena versus rehabilitating Freedom Hall. Your new area is great, no argument there; but it does have some warts. Such as an $800 MILLION debt that the ‘Ville, who is the main tenant, is not responsible for. Why? Because Jurich & Co. did not want to play downtown at it took a sweetheart deal to move there. The Yum! Center loses $33K for each ‘Ville men’s basketball game played there and $87K for every women’s basketball game played there. Why? Because the ‘Ville does not have to cover the operating costs for playing a game at the Yum and gets to keep nearly all of the revenue.

http://insiderlouisville.com/news/2013/01/31/denis-frankenberger-kfc-yum-center-ultimately-will-default-under-the-current-u-of-larena-authority-lease/?fb_action_ids=10152495349610006&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=timeline_og&action_object_map={%221

It’s only a matter of time before the city lets Yum go bankrupt, which The University will then need to take over and finally pay for the debt service and operating costs. What will happen to ‘Ville’s athletic department’s massive profit margin? Good luck, also, getting support from the city or the state the next time the University needs help or money, especially as half of the city supports UK and not the 'Ville.

http://www.wave3.com/story/20282267/uofl-athletics-among-most-expensive-profitable-in-nation

Reaction Score
3opoqy.jpg

Reaction Score
Probably the only flaw of this forum is trolls can say whatever they want and not get banned. This teen needs to go.

Reaction Score
This guy is not worth the responses but I do thank you for your interest in UCONN athletics.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This topic went from being about NYC and how UCONN could be the missing piece to pair up with RU or Cuse........so how did UL get into this?
He got bent out of shape when some poster made a comment about Louisvilles' academic standards. It was an inflammatory statement but the card fan just couldn't let it go. So he felt the need to hurt everyone who is a UConn fan. And anyone offering to reason with him are just misunderstanding human nature.

It is crazy throwing water on a grease fire. Tell someone that who never heard that and you could bet a certain number of people will ignore you and throw water. Tell people the best option is to ignore angry and irrational posting and there will still be those who will try to out anger him or reason with him. The fire will only get bigger.

Reaction Score
I.m really tired of all this crap from fans of other schools. They have been given enough freedom on this board but it is time to pull the plug. Where the heck are our Mods? Cincy doesn't get all this crap on their board because they pinned a notice to the top of their boards that this nonsense will not be tolerated. Maybe some of you like to deal with this, I personally don't.

Reaction Score
I.m really tired of all this crap from fans of other schools. They have been given enough freedom on this board but it is time to pull the plug. Where the heck are our Mods? Cincy doesn't get all this crap on their board because they pinned a notice to the top of their boards that this nonsense will not be tolerated. Maybe some of you like to deal with this, I personally don't.

It is regrettable that fans of other universities come to your board to disparage your university. If you decide exclusion of fans of other universities is in the best interest of your board, please know this was not the intent of all of us who have visited this board. There are some of us in the B1G that recognize there is value that UConn could bring to our conference. It is my hope that a vetting of UConn by the B1G is indeed occurring at this time. It is my hope that it will become clear through this process that UConn could definitely fit within the East Coast expansion plan of the B1G as well as within the conference as a whole given your role as a state flagship public research university. I think a mistake too often made in conference realignment is judging universities worthy of inclusion based solely on past performance while ignoring future potential. I think mutual benefit could be gained by accepting UConn, a university certainly with past successes but also definitely with even greater future academic and athletic potential, for membership in the B1G. I hope our conference leadership arrives at this conclusion as well and a B1G acceptance will be in your future.

Reaction Score
It is regrettable that fans of other universities come to your board to disparage your university. If you decide exclusion of fans of other universities is in the best interest of your board, please know this was not the intent of all of us who have visited this board. There are some of us in the B1G that recognize there is value that UConn could bring to our conference. It is my hope that a vetting of UConn by the B1G is indeed occurring at this time. It is my hope that it will become clear through this process that UConn could definitely fit within the East Coast expansion plan of the B1G as well as within the conference as a whole given your role as a state flagship public research university. I think a mistake too often made in conference realignment is judging universities worthy of inclusion based solely on past performance while ignoring future potential. I think mutual benefit could be gained by accepting UConn, a university certainly with past successes but also definitely with even greater future academic and athletic potential, for membership in the B1G. I hope our conference leadership arrives at this conclusion as well and a B1G acceptance will be in your future.

I just joined, so I hope that they don't go that route. That said, the Louisville poster in question is clearly a troll; I don't think many here would mind if the mods sent him back under the bridge that he crawled out from.

Reaction Score

I don't like banning because occasionally posters bring a new perspective to the table. But lately we've had some trolls bringing nothing and hijacking threads. Hammer down on the offenders please.

Reaction Score
I farted while typing on the RU board and was banned. The SU board heard about it and banned me as well.

They have less than zero tolerance. This board needs an active reasonable mod.

Reaction Score
I'm not talking about you Big or any other fan, as I enjoy most posts from views or information that might be of interest, I'm talking about trolls that serve no purpose then to rile people up.Yes we know how insecure the Eskimos from up north are.

Reaction Score
I farted while typing on the RU board and was banned. The SU board heard about it and banned me as well.

They have less than zero tolerance. This board needs an active reasonable mod.

At the bottom of each post, there is a link to "Report" a post. I've used it once to report an obscene post and it was deleted by a mod. Perhaps it can be used to report a troll.

Reaction Score
The battle sounds like it'll be more of a massacre. The ACC's problem is that, with the possible exception of North Carolina, they own no major markets when it comes to football. Florida, the Gators. Georgia, Bulldogs. South Carolina, Gamecocks. Virginia, maybe at one time, but Maryland moving to the B1G puts the population centers in play. Pennsylvania, Penn State. New York and New England, open for discussion but definitely not BC and unlikely to be Syracuse.

Whatever opportunity the ACC had to own the North Atlantic coast they pissed away when they opted for Syracuse and Pitt instead of Rutgers and UConn.

ACC has made great strides in NY...additition of Cuse, now owning Pinstripe Bowl and target future hoops in MSG..bringing Duke, UNC, Cuse, UL et al to NY will be monsterous. They have planted a flag in NY. Pitt with ND establishes a strong Midwest presence

With the Huskies football recruiting class for 2014 currently rated 93 and 95 in the nation on Rivals and Scout respectively, things are not looking up.

The Bearcats may be the likely target ahead of UConn for any B1G or ACC growth.

Reaction Score
ACC has made great strides in NY...additition of Cuse, now owning Pinstripe Bowl and target future hoops in MSG..bringing Duke, UNC, Cuse, UL et al to NY will be monsterous. They have planted a flag in NY. Pitt with ND establishes a strong Midwest presence

With the Huskies football recruiting class for 2014 currently rated 93 and 95 in the nation on Rivals and Scout respectively, things are not looking up.

Cuse would be an excellent add if you want to dominate the Finger lakes/Ontario region but in NYC and the Hudson Valley/LI/Conn and of course NJ just don't register!...Why did you feel the need to come to UConn's board to make a long distance,disrespectful and rude post?Are you a fan of that Finger Lake area FB disaster?BTW could you direct me to the ACC's NYC office so I can see that flag?

Reaction Score

Basketball, yes, football, no. In the face of stiff competition for attention in NYC with Pro Sport teams, a college must either 1) win, 2) have a lot of alumni in the city, or 3) win.

No argument that ACC basketball could be a monster.

As for football, the ACC has not won much lately and its two ‘brand’ names, Florida State, and Miami, are still trying to reinvent themselves after Bowden left Florida State and Miami avoided some serious sanctions due to NCAA incompetence (or favoritism). UConn is .500 or better against each of the former Big E teams that the ACC recently acquired even with recruiting classes ranked as stated. Even with an offensively challenged team and a coach who should have retired a while ago, UConn beat a vaunted, ranked Louisville team in Louisville last year. That type of 'success' will not gain much attention in the Big Apple.

As for Alumni, Rutgers has the most (by a wide margin) followed by Penn State, ND, UConn, then Syracuse out of the major college teams. While tied numerically, the B1G has the two largest. UConn is the last major ‘prize’ left.

That said, I do believe that Cincinnati is ahead of UConn in the ACC pecking order should the conference expand again because 1) gives the ACC a toehold in the Midwest, and 2) all of the bad blood between the ACC and UConn. But, Cincinnati has no chance getting into the B1G because Ohio State will say no.

Reaction Score

I am dating Kate Upton.

Reaction Score

We've got problems with our football program at the moment, no denying that. The Bearcats, on the other hand, seem to be moving in a better direction. Cincinnati may indeed make it into the ACC. Given that conference's recent adds, their profile could be a better fit (city as opposed to state affiliation).

The ACC has indeed made recent attempts to make their presence known in the New York metropolitan area. I believe they would like a greater role in the region. What I don't understand is, given their obvious chubby for NYC, why would they pass on the two schools most likely to have an impact there (UConn and Rutgers) for Syracuse, Pitt, and Louisville. Any insight into that conundrum?

Reaction Score
Wait, how does the ACC 'own' the Pinstripe bowl when its tie in is also with the Big Ten?

How does that help at all?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
We've got problems with our football program at the moment, no denying that. The Bearcats, on the other hand, seem to be moving in a better direction. Cincinnati may indeed make it into the ACC. Given that conference's recent adds, their profile could be a better fit (city as opposed to state affiliation).

The ACC has indeed made recent attempts to make their presence known in the New York metropolitan area. I believe they would like a greater role in the region. What I don't understand is, given their obvious chubby for NYC, why would they pass on the two schools most likely to have an impact there (UConn and Rutgers) for Syracuse, Pitt, and Louisville. Any insight into that conundrum?
I honestly don't understand the ACC's direction. They had North Carolina, Virginia and Maryland locked up. All they had to do was get Rutgers and UConn and they would have locked up NJ, and NE because we all know BC is just a faint pulse even in it's own state.

But they settled for a geographic outlier (Cuse), get the distant second team in Penn. and the distant second team in Kentucky. And of course they lose Md. This is totally the opposite approach to the B!g which wants state flagship programs. Why, because flagship programs dominate their markets viewership relative to the other universities.

The ACC is always going to come in second in SC and Georgia and it looks like they may be buried in Fla. as well. They had an opportunity to increase the number of states in which they are number one and they totally went in the wrong direction with the one exception of Cuse and most of us are arguing northern NY is not getting the state of NY or NYC. Rutgers and UConn would have been the much better play for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom