B1G, ACC battle for New York | Page 6 | The Boneyard

B1G, ACC battle for New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Is that supposed to hurt him? Because I'd much rather be despised by my ACC conference mates than worshiped by my AAC conference mates.

Right. And as we prepare to kneel before the Altar of the Almighty Dollar let us not forget that it is better to be opportunistic than it is to be good.

At this very moment, which institution would you rather be: UConn or Louisville?

Reaction Score
Right. And as we prepare to kneel before the Altar of the Almighty Dollar let us not forget that it is better to be opportunistic than it is to be good.

At this very moment, which institution would you rather be: UConn or Louisville?

Which institution would I rather be? I'd rather be UConn. Which athletic department would I rather be? Don't ask.

Reaction Score
Absolutely, William & Mary is an excellent academic school with no-brand name, i.e. football and basketball, public university (though UConn has tangled with them in soccer a lot). Binghamton, UC Davis, UC San Diego, UC Santa Barbara (another good soccer program), UC Irvine are all public universities not playing premier college sports and all in the US News top 50.

That said, none of those schools have to compete with the heavy number of elite privates in the Northeast. For years, UConn has been a safety school for CT students and that mentality was reflected in the campus and with state funding. Starting with the NIT championship in 1988 that began to change. Yet, even in the early 90’s when I graduated from HS, people still thought I was insane for picking UConn over Syracuse (to be fair, could not afford Syracuse, which is why I did not go). UConn won its basketball title in 1995 (women), which generated a lot of attention and support in Hartford allowing for UConn 2000 to be passed. That $1 billion project transformed the campus from a 1950’s Post WWII expanse of building to a legitimate, national research university. UConn 21st Century added another $1.2 billion to reconstruction and then add the 3 titles in men’s basketball and 7 more in women’s hoops and that is where UConn is today.

Without it, I do not know if Hartford would have ever supported UConn 2000 and the subsequent re-construction of the school. Without UConn 2000, UConn would very much look like where UMass is today (not that UMass is a bad school).

Good post, and, thanks. Good info there.

Reaction Score
They already do. We're the best public school in the Knowledge Corridor (and all of New England, at least). That area is LOADED with elite private institutions. Imagine if UConn joined forces with the elite private institutions in the Knowledge Corridor for research and whatever else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knowledge_Corridor

I wouldn't mind UMass coming along but they are too far behind at this point in time.

Just where you are, those institutions, and, UConn, could form their own version of the B1G's CIC.

Reaction Score
Yes I put it there within 20 minutes of putting it here. The boards are the same type. I joined that board when Syracuse joined the ACC. I've been a member of The Sabre for over 10 years. And you can find me on every ACC Board with the exception of NC State who denied my membership for some reason. I didn't do anything to them, but for some reason I'm denied.

NC State's boards, especially Pack Pride, are among the worst I've ever come across. Their mods are so trigger happy, its sickening.

Reaction Score
Good post, and, thanks. Good info there.

true enough!

Re: the academic ascendency of UConn - it has come at the expense of some of the over priced private institutions in the Northeast, notably Syracuse. I can't tell you how many folks up this neck of the woods just won't spend the $60-65k/year on a Syracuse when son or daughter can get at least as good an education at UConn for $22K . One of the huge problems going forward for non-elite, private schools is justifying their value to the consumers of academia. I think this has created resentment and bitterness towards a public school like UConn that has become a pretty solid institution in the Northeast. (Count Rutgers in that category too.) I don't think Syracuse wants us in the ACC because they don't want to have to compete against us academically or value wise. You folks (and also UVA) have had a superb example of public higher education with UNC for a long time. I graduated from a prep school in CT over 40 years ago. It was a place that sent 1/3 of the class to Ivies, yet there was always intense competition for the Morehead Scholarship to UNC even back then. For a relative song, in-state kids from VA or NC can go to two of the best universities period. UConn aspires to be that kind of public institution and is moving rapidly in that direction.

I am confident we'll get placed in a P-5 conference and frankly hope to hell it's the B1G. Why? Because, among other things, it is chock full of the type of public institutions that we are and will continue to be. I would love to be in a conference with UVA and UNC, but the ACC is going a different direction I'm afraid we would be better off elsewhere.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say "the same type"...I was banned after 3 days there for telling them Ish Witter was a heavy RU lean(tho RU put him on hold pending Hilliman decision) and they disagreed to their shame!When they saw I was right I found myself banned w/o so much as a by your leave sir?That board in particular is just a Cuse cheering section not a free exchange of thoughts and info!This board is nationally renowned for having stimulating CR discussion by fans of all CFB!!Big difference !!...btw Mike London seems to be killing it recruiting wise!Good days ahead for all Cavalier fans !!

Most of what I talk about on there is ACC related and not competitive or confrontational with the Syracuse fans. They are new to the league and I'm curious what they are thinking. It's pretty much the same reason I'm here because I think UConn would fit well too.

When I say the same type board, I mean the software of the board. The look, feel, setup of the websites The Boneyard and Syracuse Fan look like they were from the same software company.

Mike London can recruit. He's good at that. Now we are all hopeful to see him consistently win football games. We haven't really seen that part yet. It's an important part of the process. Hope it starts this year.

Reaction Score
true enough!

Re: the academic ascendency of UConn - it has come at the expense of some of the over priced private institutions in the Northeast, notably Syracuse. I can't tell you how many folks up this neck of the woods just won't spend the $60-65k/year on a Syracuse when son or daughter can get at least as good an education at UConn for $22K . One of the huge problems going forward for non-elite, private schools is justifying their value to the consumers of academia. I think this has created resentment and bitterness towards a public school like UConn that has become a pretty solid institution in the Northeast. (Count Rutgers in that category too.) I don't think Syracuse wants us in the ACC because they don't want to have to compete against us academically or value wise. You folks (and also UVA) have had a superb example of public higher education with UNC for a long time. I graduated from a prep school in CT over 40 years ago. It was a place that sent 1/3 of the class to Ivies, yet there was always intense competition for the Morehead Scholarship to UNC even back then. For a relative song, in-state kids from VA or NC can go to two of the best universities period. UConn aspires to be that kind of public institution and is moving rapidly in that direction.

I am confident we'll get placed in a P-5 conference and frankly hope to hell it's the B1G. Why? Because, among other things, it is chock full of the type of public institutions that we are and will continue to be. I would love to be in a conference with UVA and UNC, but the ACC is going a different direction I'm afraid we would be better off elsewhere.

Fair enough.

The competition for good students between ACC schools has made all of the schools better academically. That competition spills over onto the athletic fields as well. UNC-NCSU-Duke have thrived as neighbors and rivals. Ditto UVA-VPI, and, FSU-Miami.

All of that makes me wonder just why BC was so dead set on voting against you. You guys could have a tremendous rivalry. Annual BC-Syracuse-UConn games across the ACC's spectrum of sports could only make all of you better. Rivalries are driven by proximity and familiarity, and, yours could have been special. Maybe it still will get the opportunity. You three as a trio would lock down the NE and New England for the league.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Fair enough.

The competition for good students between ACC schools has made all of the schools better academically. That competition spills over onto the athletic fields as well. UNC-NCSU-Duke have thrived as neighbors and rivals. Ditto UVA-VPI, and, FSU-Miami.

All of that makes me wonder just why BC was so dead set on voting against you. You guys could have a tremendous rivalry. Annual BC-Syracuse-UConn games across the ACC's spectrum of sports could only make all of you better. Rivalries are driven by proximity and familiarity, and, yours could have been special. Maybe it still will get the opportunity. You three as a trio would lock down the NE and New England for the league.

Leahy and DeFillipo were trying to get away from UConn. We were the little agricultural school tucked away in the NE corner of Connecticut. We were chosen for the BE simply because we could play some hoops and the BE needed another team. Then along came two of the more dynamic basketball coaches in recent memory and these two coaches built dynasties.

The BC men's basketball team was beaten 23 consecutive times by UConn. The women's team was beginning to dominate on the women's side. Both those teams fueled a complete renovation of the campus. And then UConn decided to upgrade it's FB program. Leahy and DeFillipo knew that what ever UConn got behind would succeed so they couldn't wait to escape the BE, escape from UConn. I believe they thought that by joining the ACC BC would cast the largest shadow in the NE. But BC miscalculated. For reasons you alluded too, with no natural rival, BC became even more marginalized in NE and as performance slacked, the already tepid support waned.

If Syracuse did, in fact, move to block UConn from the ACC it would be for the same reasons that BC had.

I still think the ACC should offer UConn immediately. In a year or two, when Delany realizes that Rutgers alone doesn't have the cache to capture the NYC market he will move on UConn and the ACC will effectively be shut out of the largest market in the entire country.

Reaction Score
UConn will never be in the ACC
The ACC will only offer UConn if UConn has an offer from the B1G
IF That's the case guess which one UConn chooses
The ACC wouldn't care about the Big 12
as that move is neutral.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Choosing BC and then SU, IMO, shows the ACC is rather clueless on the path forward here in NY & NE. UConn clearly can expand the market the farthest & have the greatest brand. Stupid boys & swoffords.

Reaction Score
Leahy and DeFillipo were trying to get away from UConn. We were the little agricultural school tucked away in the NE corner of Connecticut. We were chosen for the BE simply because we could play some hoops and the BE needed another team. Then along came two of the more dynamic basketball coaches in recent memory and these two coaches built dynasties.

The BC men's basketball team was beaten 23 consecutive times by UConn. The women's team was beginning to dominate on the women's side. Both those teams fueled a complete renovation of the campus. And then UConn decided to upgrade it's FB program. Leahy and DeFillipo knew that what ever UConn got behind would succeed so they couldn't wait to escape the BE, escape from UConn. I believe they thought that by joining the ACC BC would cast the largest shadow in the NE. But BC miscalculated. For reasons you alluded too, with no natural rival, BC became even more marginalized in NE and as performance slacked, the already tepid support waned.

The ACC is missing the boat BIG TIME by not inviting you, IMHO. A northeast version of the Research Triangle Rivalries could be HUGE for a future ACCN. I like having BC in the league, as I believe they fit in the league in nearly every metric, save geography. Bringing Syracuse in was a good move to solidify that part of the country. Adding UConn would lock it down for the ACC. Plus, I think it would force all three to raise their games across the board. BC NEEDS local rivals. Syracuse is a good start. UConn would be the icing on the cake.

If Syracuse did, in fact, move to block UConn from the ACC it would be for the same reasons that BC had.

If that is true, that is a chicken crap move on their part. You all had a tremendous rivalry in the BE. It could continue to thrive here. Their objections make no sense to me.

I still think the ACC should offer UConn immediately. In a year or two, when Delany realizes that Rutgers alone doesn't have the cache to capture the NYC market he will move on UConn and the ACC will effectively be shut out of the largest market in the entire country.

I could not agree more. I am hopeful that something is going on behind the scenes with the ACC and UConn. Its a win-win. We make ACC hoops even better, we get the largest part of NYC under our banner, and, Swofford sticks it to Delany.

Reaction Score
Choosing BC and then SU, IMO, shows the ACC is rather clueless on the path forward here in NY & NE. UConn clearly can expand the market the farthest & have the greatest brand. Stupid boys & swoffords.

Choosing BC and Syracuse goes back to the original expansion in 2003. Those were the two schools that Miami most wanted to join them in the ACC.

It was a done deal, until the Governor of Virginia intervened on VPI's behalf. I hated that he did it. But, it is what he should have done. He was looking out for one of his state schools' best interests.

Truth be known, UConn would've been a better third partner to Miami and 'Cuse. BC would've still been available in 2013. The B1G would not be looking to add them, as they're a much better fit for the ACC. And, everybody knows it.

Reaction Score
UConn will never be in the ACC
The ACC will only offer UConn if UConn has an offer from the B1G
IF That's the case guess which one UConn chooses
The ACC wouldn't care about the Big 12
as that move is neutral.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I really hope that is not the case. If it is, its a large blown opportunity for the ACC.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I really hope that is not the case. If it is, its a large blown opportunity for the ACC.
The ACC seems committed to keeping a balance of private and public schools. What I truly don't understand is why they took an academic outlier that in no way, shape or form is a football powerhouse. I've got a feeling Strong's slippery recruiting will bite them in the ass in due time.

Reaction Score

That is quite a pic you painted, I could hear the violins playing. Keeping with my self imposed rule of 'institutional respect" I will say for the record yet again I support a U Conn move to the A.C.C. I will also repeat that I was never a supporter of Gene D. or his politics. B.C. moved to the A.C.C. for financial reasons and to escape a conference that was clearly beginning to crack, like it or not they had the foresight to abandon a sinking ship (Thank God). Your perception is a bit twisted, as if B.C. left because the little engine that could pulled into the station.

There are five other state schools in New England and countless private institutions. B.C. has never announced or promoted itself as the "representative for New England" at any level. So this casting shadows theory is a load of c@#$. I think U Mass and the other state schools have pride and certainly do not see U Conn as THEIR representative "gateway" or any other self anointed proclamation as New England's college team.

Matter of fact, U Mass is undergoing a large infusion of funds, building new facilities, and traveling the same path as U Conn did so successfully. Yet I have read only negative comments concerning their efforts. Thats a double standard and hypocritical, since some fans accuse B.C. of displaying that very arrogance. B.C. has been here for 150 years it has thrived and will continue to do so, through good times and bad. New England has and will continue to support multiple distinguished programs from Harvard to Providence to U.N.H. and so on. I have never heard one school try to lay claim to being "THE SCHOOL" of and for New England. Until now.

Reaction Score
That is quite a pic you painted, I could hear the violins playing. Keeping with my self imposed rule of 'institutional respect" I will say for the record yet again I support a U Conn move to the A.C.C. I will also repeat that I was never a supporter of Gene D. or his politics. B.C. moved to the A.C.C. for financial reasons and to escape a conference that was clearly beginning to crack, like it or not they had the foresight to abandon a sinking ship (Thank God). Your perception is a bit twisted, as if B.C. left because the little engine that could pulled into the station.

There are five other state schools in New England and countless private institutions. B.C. has never announced or promoted itself as the "representative for New England" at any level. So this casting shadows theory is a load of c@#$. I think U Mass and the other state schools have pride and certainly do not see U Conn as THEIR representative "gateway" or any other self anointed proclamation as New England's college team.

Matter of fact, U Mass is undergoing a large infusion of funds, building new facilities, and traveling the same path as U Conn did so successfully. Yet I have read only negative comments concerning their efforts. Thats a double standard and hypocritical, since some fans accuse B.C. of displaying that very arrogance. B.C. has been here for 150 years it has thrived and will continue to do so, through good times and bad. New England has and will continue to support multiple distinguished programs from Harvard to Providence to U.N.H. and so on. I have never heard one school try to lay claim to being "THE SCHOOL" of and for New England. Until now.
Dude. Don't confuse Uconn with a couple of internet posters. Your comments are otherwise quite sensible. I always liked BC. Nutty, but hey, who isn't? The school has accomplished a lot. I'm just glad that "the land of steady habits" - way too steady for me - has finally got with the program. Go Uconn!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Dude. Don't confuse Uconn with a couple of internet posters. Your comments are otherwise quite sensible. I always liked BC. Nutty, but hey, who isn't? The school has accomplished a lot. I'm just glad that "the land of steady habits" - way too steady for me - has finally got with the program. Go Uconn!!!!!!!
Agreed. Rooting for all N.E. schools to do well this season. Go B.C., U Conn, and U Mass. Will be watching the U Conn vs. Michigan game for sure, GO New England! Love college football!

Reaction Score
B.C. has never announced or promoted itself as the "representative for New England" at any level. So this casting shadows theory is a load of c@#$.

i have never heard one school try to lay claim to being "THE SCHOOL" of and for New England.

Ummm...Maybe you should have a chat w/ your football coach then...

>>But more than anything, he wants the team to put Boston College back on the map as New England’s Division 1 football program.“There’s got to be a tremendous amount of pride in Massachusetts about their Division 1 football program. The premiere eminent Division 1 football program in the state of Massachusetts and New England is Boston College and every kid growing up around here should feel that,” said Addazio.<<

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/...coach-wants-bc-back-on-the-map/#ixzz2bFb4Ndje

Reaction Score
Ummm...Maybe you should have a chat w/ your football coach then...

>>But more than anything, he wants the team to put Boston College back on the map as New England’s Division 1 football program.“There’s got to be a tremendous amount of pride in Massachusetts about their Division 1 football program. The premiere eminent Division 1 football program in the state of Massachusetts and New England is Boston College and every kid growing up around here should feel that,” said Addazio.<<

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/...coach-wants-bc-back-on-the-map/#ixzz2bFb4Ndje
He is talking about his football team/program ......not the school as a whole........matter of fact he had only good things to say about U Conn in a prior interview when discussing Don Brown. Big difference between doing what any coach including P.P. would when addressing the media concerning football, as opposed to fans that claim they have an ALL AROUND better product than their neighboring schools/universities. Not the same thing.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Rooting for all N.E. schools to do well this season. Go B.C., U Conn, and U Mass. Will be watching the U Conn vs. Michigan game for sure, GO New England! Love college football!

Do you realize that there is no such thing as "U Conn" or "U Mass"? In our case it is either UConn or UCONN. If you are going to be here then you might as well get the name right.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

I respect your opinion but I see it my way. Here are Defilippo's own words for your edification:

“We didn’t want them in,” Boston College’s athletic director, Gene DeFilippo, told The Globe. “It was a matter of turf. We wanted to be the New England team.”

You may not like him. You may not believe him but those are his words and Leahy NEVER amended them to my knowledge. That was BC's goal and it has failed.

As for UMass, I was in favor of them getting an AAC invite. I think the rivalry would serve them and us well.. My only hesitancy was when it looked like there was a grass roots faculty movement to squash FBS football.

So, I think the picture I painted was pretty damned accurate. "The little engine that could" was running you down. BC not only left, they lied about about to their peer's faces as they plotted their exit strategy. Institutional respect?

Reaction Score
Here’s a link to the Globe’s DeFilippo’s comments on the ACC expanding to 14 team’s and blocking UConn.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/mens_basketball/articles/2011/10/09/power_move_by_acc/?page=full

He is right that back in 2005 that Calhoun’s rant against BC when they bolted did not help.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=1650380

Of course, BC is just one of many who have been pissed off at Calhoun over the years.

What is pathetic is BC being mad about UConn (and the Big East) suing them (and it wasn’t just them, Miami and VT were sued also) over their 2005 departure to the ACC. Hartford was pissed because of the money that UConn just pumped into UConn football and Blumenthal was over the top eyeing political points for his eventual Senate campaign in 2010; but, everyone has sued everyone throughout CR. Pitt was part of the same lawsuit and they were the school that BC pushed to replace UConn. That did not seem to be a problem for BC. Nor did it stop BC from joining the ACC lawsuit against Maryland’s departure in 2012.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/news/2003/06/06/bigeast_suit_ap/

For whatever reason, BC appears to be ‘afraid’ of UConn’s emergence as a strong academic and athletic powerhouse in the Northeast and has done what they could to block UConn’s growth missing the fact that rivalries (see Duke and UNC) make universities on and off the field better. While BC has continued to soar academically since leaving the Big E in 2005, their results on the field have gone downhill since. On the ice though, where BC is in Hockey East and has a dozen local rivalries, they continue to dominate. Coincidence?

I do hope that UConn and BC can renew their rivalry one day, though admittedly, I rather UConn ‘renew’ their rivaliry with Syracuse more (better road trips, both in terms of local fan support and Boston, especially for college students, is an expensive city to visit). I would be curious to see BC’s reaction should a miracle happen and UConn end-up in the B1G on ice. I cannot imagine that BC would welcome the B1G via UConn getting access to the New England hockey recruiting grounds.

Reaction Score
He is talking about his football team/program ......not the school as a whole........matter of fact he had only good things to say about U Conn in a prior interview when discussing Don Brown. Big difference between doing what any coach including P.P. would when addressing the media concerning football, as opposed to fans that claim they have an ALL AROUND better product than their neighboring schools/universities. Not the same thing.

PS – I can’t stand Addazio; but, it has nothing to do with performance (which I why I strongly believe Coach PP needs to retire) nor BC. Instead, it was listening to him about how football players are better than EVERYONE for 4 years of gym class.

Reaction Score
As for UMass, they share the same challenge that UConn faced for years, i.e. viewed as a ‘fallback’ school for most parents and students in Massachusetts whens compared to Harvard, BU, BC, Tufts, Amherst, etc. They also have to deal with the fact that most folks on Beacon Hill believe that the Hub, including Massachusetts’s borders, extend only to I-495. UMass Amherst is on the wrong side of that line and while the ‘flagship’ campus has received some additional capital funding from beacon Hill, more has been focused at UMass Boston, UMass Dartmouth (law school), and especially UMass Lowell.

Plus, while UConn rode the fan support from both basketball teams’ successes, UMass’s success in men’s hoops was kneecapped when both Calipari and Cambi left at the same time the NCAA walked in. UMass basketball has yet to recover from that. UMass’ D 1AA football team actually won a national championship in 1998; but, it barely registered and now the poor attendance for UMass games at Gillette as part of the MAC is causing rumors of a faculty push to kill the program,

As I said, I believe that UMass is a good school. They are just in a tough position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom