2025 Recruiting: - Australian PG Jacob Furphy | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Australian PG Jacob Furphy

Reaction Score
thsi was what i found , seems like they cant but they are trying to change it

No, international student-athletes are generally not able to benefit from name, image, and likeness (NIL) deals in the United States:
  • Visa restrictions
    Most international student-athletes in the U.S. have F-1 visas, which limit their ability to work while in school. This makes it difficult for them to participate in NIL deals that take place in the U.S.
  • NCAA policy
    While the NCAA's NIL policy allows student-athletes to monetize their NIL, it conflicts with the rules that govern U.S. student visas.

However, there are some ways that international student-athletes can participate in NIL:

• NIL in their home country
    International student-athletes can create NIL connections in their home country. For example, a former NAIA student-athlete from Brazil used his platform to help grow basketball in his home country.

• Work authorization
    Some visa categories, such as P-1 visas for internationally recognized athletes and O-1 visas for foreign nationals with extraordinary abilities, can support NIL agreements.

• New legislation
    A bill in Congress has been introduced to allow international student-athletes to benefit from NIL. The bill would modify F-1 visas to allow international student-athletes to profit from NIL.

awy

Reaction Score
overseas merchandising and sponsorships in a foreign market can be set up fairly easily especially in areas where basketball is already very popular. the NIL can't be "based" in the U.S. but U.S. originated money can get into foreign based accounts quite easily, just set up some entity overseas and fund that.

Reaction Score
Does staff have a preference bewteen Furphy and Mullins? Or do they want both in some bizzaro take everybody world lol
I'm dreaming of a class of Adams, Furphy, Mullins and one of the 2 bigs. Not alot of athleticism but we can be Princeton '89 with 5 stars. Also alot easier to fill athleticism than BBiq in the portal.

Reaction Score
Does staff have a preference bewteen Furphy and Mullins? Or do they want both in some bizzaro take everybody world lol
I’d find it hard to believe that one would commit here if the other committed here first. The backcourt can fit one more player that would get minutes but I can’t see that being the case with two.

Reaction Score
thsi was what i found , seems like they cant but they are trying to change it

No, international student-athletes are generally not able to benefit from name, image, and likeness (NIL) deals in the United States:
  • Visa restrictions
    Most international student-athletes in the U.S. have F-1 visas, which limit their ability to work while in school. This makes it difficult for them to participate in NIL deals that take place in the U.S.
  • NCAA policy
    While the NCAA's NIL policy allows student-athletes to monetize their NIL, it conflicts with the rules that govern U.S. student visas.
However, there are some ways that international student-athletes can participate in NIL:

• NIL in their home country
    International student-athletes can create NIL connections in their home country. For example, a former NAIA student-athlete from Brazil used his platform to help grow basketball in his home country.

• Work authorization
    Some visa categories, such as P-1 visas for internationally recognized athletes and O-1 visas for foreign nationals with extraordinary abilities, can support NIL agreements.

• New legislation
    A bill in Congress has been introduced to allow international student-athletes to benefit from NIL. The bill would modify F-1 visas to allow international student-athletes to profit from NIL.
they're getting paid, Basketnews covers the Euro scene better than anyone and they touch on it here about what type of money these guys are seeing from US colleges compared to Euro pro teams. Furphy is Australian but it's no different, he could stay home in the NBL and get paid there.

Reaction Score
Beginning to think that this Freshman class is going to be more than 3. I don't see Furphy or Mullins as either/or propositions, same with Bundalo/Reibe. But the playing time case has to become a more difficult sell at some point.

Reaction Score
Newton, Hawkins, Alleyne, Diarra, Joey C, & Jackson seems comparable quantity, quality & time competition, and worked.
Mahaney, Nowell, Adams, Ball, Furphy, & Mullins seems like essentially a repeat
All 6 of the guys had a role in 2023 and Mullins can play a SF spot
I think it is a hard sell, but Mullins interest was totally informed re Adams and taking Furphy too may have already been fully discussed by the staff and already part of Mullin's decision.
Alternatively, the staff may have tried to close last thursday and said they would not hold the spot if its either/or

Question: I would have to believe coaches of teams are informed before the official 'reveals'. There is time for the typical videos and we know that recruiting services are ready with articles that have to be prepared earlier, etc. If Mullins announces on the 23rd, when do you figure our staff is informed of the decision, or are they waiting like us?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As soon as I saw the Furphy video I knew he was ours. The video says it all, you can see it in his face. If we don’t get Mullins it won’t be because of Furphy. It will be that he wasn’t coming anyways. Hopefully Mullins does come because from that video, I know Furphy is. Gotta get one of those bigs though.

awy

Reaction Score
this guy is a next level court reader and passer. get a bunch of movement shooters but you need this next level vision and passing to unlock everyone's potential. just going by fitting skill to roles he's more replacement for lewis rather than mullins, even if his shooting ability is more on the mullins level. it's a move that i can get behind.

Reaction Score
Newton, Hawkins, Alleyne, Diarra, Joey C, & Jackson seems comparable quantity, quality & time competition, and worked.
Mahaney, Nowell, Adams, Ball, Furphy, & Mullins seems like essentially a repeat
All 6 of the guys had a role in 2023 and Mullins can play a SF spot
I think it is a hard sell, but Mullins interest was totally informed re Adams and taking Furphy too may have already been fully discussed by the staff and already part of Mullin's decision.
Alternatively, the staff may have tried to close last thursday and said they would not hold the spot if its either/or

Question: I would have to believe coaches of teams are informed before the official 'reveals'. There is time for the typical videos and we know that recruiting services are ready with articles that have to be prepared earlier, etc. If Mullins announces on the 23rd, when do you figure our staff is informed of the decision, or are they waiting like us?
The only caveat I'd add is that in that 2023 roster Diarra was effectively out of the rotation by mid-year and there were only 3 other guys getting minutes (Clingan, Sanogo, Karaban). On next year's roster we'd still have Stewart, Ross, Abraham, Reed, and whatever big man recruit is added who need minutes. I think that's a really tough sell for playing time unless multiple guys listed are in the NBA

awy

Reaction Score

(Don’t kill me, I know it’s Zanetto!)

he does seem to have some contacts on the staff so this kind of first hand clue is welcome. some people are too sensitive to the noise/wrong stuff and throw out the signal. in a generally information poor environment u gotta live with what you get.

Reaction Score
Pretty puzzled as have been fairly confident we’re getting Mullins. If he’s still deliberating amongst his three finalists, might think this announcement before his can’t help. I’d also have to think staff has a 90% sense of where Mullins lands at this point.

Then it’s:

1) Staff has already spoke to Mullins about Furphy (aLa Adams) about how they’d plan to use them. Either in different position or on different development lifecycles to contribute.

2) Staff doesn’t feel confident in Mullins coming and is securing their preferred insurance policy in advance.

3) Staff sees Furphy as valuable a piece to Mullins all things considered and doesn’t want to wait, wants to lock up regardless of whether Mullins comes.

We shall see.

Reaction Score
I believe Furphy is a 2 or 3 year player as Adams is. Seems like it puts more emphasis on Mullins as he is a one year player and I don’t think DH wants more than one, one year player.

Reaction Score
I saw this kid at Capital Grille Saturday night with his mom, Hurley, Kimani, Mamadou and the video/scout coordinator. Kid appeared to be more 6’6 than 6’5. I spoke with Kimani and Hurley briefly as well as Furphy and his mom. Mom and Furphy appeared to be ecstatic. Judging off of body language, it looked like a done deal.
But what did he order? If he got the lobster Mac & cheese alongside his steak, it’s a done deal!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom