2025 Recruiting: - Australian PG Jacob Furphy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Australian PG Jacob Furphy

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This is a young man who would proudly wear a UConn uniform - he is someone I want in Storrs.

Reaction Score
Has another source actually confirmed UConn interest, be the dates referenced for him visiting Illinois don't make sense, he's playing in an U18 tournament.

Reaction Score
Visiting Oct 4-6 according to Storrs Central
Because of his IQ, passing acumen and offensive Cam-like game, I really want him more than Mullins for that spot, believe it or not. Early on I said I wanted Lewis over Acuff and Thomas too, despite the rankings, as their unselfish style of would best work with the "serbian plays" of Luke lol

awy

Reaction Score
he's really good but i dont think he's competing with mullins. he's more of a big pg in the lewis spot.

Reaction Score
he's really good but i dont think he's competing with mullins. he's more of a big pg in the lewis spot.
He's a 2 or maybe used as a 3 with PG skills. Would be used exactly like Cam was. Would fill McNeely spot hypothetically. Don't think Furphy would be the 1, with his lack of pace (Tristan wasnt quick either, but still...) Definitely not mutually exclusive from Lewis

Last edited:
Reaction Score

"What is a cool or interesting fact about you that most people do not know?​

Furphy: A cool or interesting fact would be that I can solve rubik's cube.

Is there a current player that you idolize?​

Furphy: Probably Josh Giddey and Luka Doncic.

How can you describe your play style? What do you think are your strengths and weaknesses as a player?​

Furphy: My play style is being a very methodical facilitator. My strengths would be my basketball IQ and size. My weakness, right now, would be my athleticism."

awy

Reaction Score
He's a 2 or maybe used as a 3 with PG skills. Would be used exactly like Cam was. Would fill McNeely spot hypothetically. Don't think Furphy would be the 1, with his lack of pace (Tristan wasnt quick either, but still...) Definitely not mutually exclusive from Lewis
he's a primary ball handler.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Doesn’t strike me as a PG from the highlights. Although I only watched like 30 seconds of each so if Danny wants him, we want him.

Reaction Score
he's a primary ball handler.
As I will say again, Lewis and him are not mutually exclusive. Bookmark this if you like, and we will see what position he will play primarily in college if at Uconn. It wont be the point

love this interview with him, talks about how he started developing guard skills at 15 yrs old (2 minutes 20 seconds). Love his breakdown of selfish/unselfish, and being a hard worker and leader "the dad of the group"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here is his NBL stats: NBL1 Australia

The 49% from three over the past two years sticks out to me with NBL. 57% from 3 in FIBA too (smaller sample).

About a 2:1 assist to turnover ratio everywhere you look.

Stats from the most recent Asia Cup last week: Jacob Furphy - Australia - Stats, News, Photos & Videos - FIBA U18 Asia Cup 2024 | FIBA.basketball

Stats from the other FIBA event this summer: Jacob FURPHY at the FIBA U16 Asian Championship 2022 2022 - FIBA.basketball

I'll post more when I see more.

Reaction Score
Doesn’t strike me as a PG from the highlights. Although I only watched like 30 seconds of each so if Danny wants him, we want him.
He definitely can handle the ball, and does play the point at times for his ABL team. I think he's a secondary ballhandler here- I think 5 different players acted as a facilitator for us in different sets throughout season, so it really doesnt matter really. And with my Cam-like comparison, he has cam-like speed too lol

Reaction Score
Here is his NBL stats: NBL1 Australia

The 49% from three over the past two years sticks out to me with NBL. 57% from 3 in FIBA too (smaller sample).

About a 2:1 assist to turnover ratio everywhere you look.

Stats from the most recent Asia Cup last week: Jacob Furphy - Australia - Stats, News, Photos & Videos - FIBA U18 Asia Cup 2024 | FIBA.basketball

Stats from the other FIBA event this summer: Jacob FURPHY at the FIBA U16 Asian Championship 2022 2022 - FIBA.basketball

I'll post more when I see more.

here is the final of most recent game vs new zealand. full game, im watching today

He was 21-7 with 4 assists, he's #3

Reaction Score
I friggin' love this. Pairing him with a microwave scorer like Adams or Mullins would be killer.
Adams and Furphy would be a seriously unathletic backcourt.

Tristen and Cam would never be labeled big run and jump guys but they were the age of pros and they were more athletic than these two.

Reaction Score
Adams and Furphy would be a seriously unathletic backcourt.

Tristen and Cam would never be labeled big run and jump guys but they were the age of pros and they were more athletic than these two.

Y'ain't wrong. This staff has plans on plans on plans, so I'm sure they've got ideas how to address it on defense.

Reaction Score
Random stuff I noticed in highlights
  • Dribbles with both hands pretty darn close to ambidextrously
  • Finishing is primarily left handed, but there is some right hands in there
  • Consistent release--really nice looking shot overall
  • Would be the clear worst pure athlete on our team. More of an AK-level athlete (maybe slightly worse), but it's harder to cover that up when you're a guard.
  • Has a floater with each hand
  • Makes a bunch of reads in the PnR and in DBHs.
  • There's something about lefty shooters that gets me. Just makes perimeter scouting a wee bit harder.
  • For passing reads I see post feeds, drive and kick to both sides, hitting cutters off a catch or dribble, a lob in the PnR.
  • Plenty of high IQ cuts vs pressure in here
  • Seems to embrace contact on his drives. Likes to get a defender on his hip and use a jumpstop.

Considering we're exclusively recruiting guys ranked in the top-40, I think the staff probably feels he belongs in that range. I don't think I have enough info to really make that call. But it's clear he has a high, high skill level without Big East athleticism. That's the picture.

Reaction Score
  • Would be the clear worst pure athlete on our team. More of an AK-level athlete (maybe slightly worse), but it's harder to cover that up when you're a guard.
  • There's something about lefty shooters that gets me. Just makes perimeter scouting a wee bit harder.
  • For passing reads I see post feeds, drive and kick to both sides, hitting cutters off a catch or dribble, a lob in the PnR.
  • Seems to embrace contact on his drives. Likes to get a defender on his hip and use a jumpstop.

Considering we're exclusively recruiting guys ranked in the top-40, I think the staff probably feels he belongs in that range. I don't think I have enough info to really make that call. But it's clear he has a high, high skill level without Big East athleticism. That's the picture.
IQ and commitment to team basketball may trump athleticism in the Hurley scheme. It’s very much a sum of all parts system, and accepting your role.

If you look at last years starting 5, outside of Steph, we were not overly athletic. This kid feels like an amazing cultural fit.

Reaction Score
he can't jump but he's pretty bulky, wonder if the staff is seeing some euro style play with him. serbian plays?
Doncic isn’t an elite athlete. Cam, Newton, and Alex aren’t elite athletes. Can he play is the question?

Reaction Score

He looks really skilled but in slow motion.

Reaction Score
IQ and commitment to team basketball may trump athleticism in the Hurley scheme. It’s very much a sum of all parts system, and accepting your role.

If you look at last years starting 5, outside of Steph, we were not overly athletic. This kid feels like an amazing cultural fit.

If Hurley and Luke (I assume, because he's international) think he's good enough to offer and push for an OV, then he's going to be a fit in our culture and system. No doubt about it. And considering we've targets no one ranked below 40 in the 2025 class, they must really think he's got some talent.

Reaction Score
I watched two full games. Admittedly not great competition in the U18 Asian Cup.

I stand by my assessment. I'll take him 100 times over the more athletic player. Just really knows how to play, makes everyone better, and is the leader on that team. You could hear him directing teammates into the right spots on press break, and is also Cam-like on defense, very heady, knowing where to be shell-D wisewith help d and rotations, but also anticipating . He was generally covering opposing wing, but at next level his athleticism isnt as glaring if you surround him with Abraham and Nowell types.

His skill set and athleticism makes me think of him as Cam-like, or a bigger slower version of what we hope Mahaney will be. Bottom Line: He is a high iq facilitator necessary to allow an offense to run, with the hockey assist, shot creation or hitting open 3. Can handle ball and has that Doncic get-the-defender-on -your-hip drive. Had a nice behind the back pass, three nice Kolekish pick and rolls. We can talk about his combine measurable weakness, but overlook that he KNOWS how to play- Where do I sign?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom