Att: Visiting southern and midwestern hayseeds | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Att: Visiting southern and midwestern hayseeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Syracuse still just set the ESPN record for a regular season basketball game watched in NY. Of course they had Duke as an opponent.

UConn is indeed getting exposure and that has value. If Husky guys started thinking in the mind set of FSU guys, some angst might dissipate.

FSU guys are team fans but aren't really big conference fans, in the conference pride manner of the SEC. A conference is just a place to play.

All you can do is beat your schedule, look good when on the tube, use the exposure to build a reputation. Until a P5 expands, that is the best that can be done.

Many with work experience will recognize the strategy. Keeping oneself positioned for a promotion to the next level.

Reaction Score
Syracuse still just set the ESPN record for a regular season basketball game watched in NY. Of course they had Duke as an opponent.

UConn is indeed getting exposure and that has value. If Husky guys started thinking in the mind set of FSU guys, some angst might dissipate.

FSU guys are team fans but aren't really big conference fans, in the conference pride manner of the SEC. A conference is just a place to play.

All you can do is beat your schedule, look good when on the tube, use the exposure to build a reputation. Until a P5 expands, that is the best that can be done.

Many with work experience will recognize the strategy. Keeping oneself positioned for a promotion to the next level.

Let me put this to you in simple terms: Syracuse basketball can't outdraw UConn women's basketball, never mind the men.

http://syracusefan.com/threads/looks-like-the-prov-game-will-be-tape-delayed.40752/

http://web.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130111&content_id=40929348&vkey=2

Reaction Score
"The ESPN Saturday Primetime Driven by State Farm telecast of then-No. 2 Syracuse defeating then-No. 17 Duke 91-89 in overtime on February 1 is the network’s third most-viewed regular-season men’s college basketball game on record, averaging 4,745,000 viewers."

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-r...-duke-espns-third-viewed-regular-season-game/

"The game drew the highest shares in the North Carolina Triad and Research Triangle markets, and the telecast also set records in Buffalo (6.7 local rating) and New York City (2.8 rating) to rank as ESPN’s highest-rated regular-season men’s college hoops game in both markets (records date back to 2002."

Reaction Score
You say SNY...I say ESPN....

Tomato potato....but for the ACC model, I have to go with ESPN....for the Big Ten model, maybe the SNY.

Reaction Score
"The ESPN Saturday Primetime Driven by State Farm telecast of then-No. 2 Syracuse defeating then-No. 17 Duke 91-89 in overtime on February 1 is the network’s third most-viewed regular-season men’s college basketball game on record, averaging 4,745,000 viewers."

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-r...-duke-espns-third-viewed-regular-season-game/

"The game drew the highest shares in the North Carolina Triad and Research Triangle markets, and the telecast also set records in Buffalo (6.7 local rating) and New York City (2.8 rating) to rank as ESPN’s highest-rated regular-season men’s college hoops game in both markets (records date back to 2002."

And? What's your point?

Reaction Score
What was yours? To denigrate Syracuse?

I am no Cuse fan, but I just made the point that Syracuse did participate this season in one of the most watched basketball games..ever..on ESPN.

Reaction Score
You say SNY...I say ESPN....

Tomato potato....but for the ACC model, I have to go with ESPN....for the Big Ten model, maybe the SNY.

Let me come down to Tallahassee and tell you what is most popular there (not FSU), would that make sense? After going to the BET for 15 straight years, I can tell you who holds the fort. You're mistaken, it's not what you think. Mike Tranghese made this point explicitly. He said Uconn is the team that stirs New York.

That undefeated Cuse played Duke in the most hyped matchup ever and got big ratings is no surprise. The real Q is what happens when Cuse plays a middling ACC team, and the answer is, they'll get bumped by UConn playing anyone, or heck the Uconn women.

Reaction Score
What was yours? To denigrate Syracuse?

I am no Cuse fan, but I just made the point that Syracuse did participate this season in one of the most watched basketball games..ever..on ESPN.

You're doing nothing but trolling now. Your response to people pointing out the unbelievable demand for tickets at MSG (higher than the F4) is to post some nonsense about an ESPN rating of Cuse-Duke. Stop trolling.

Stop defending the big mistakes Swofford and FSU made when they locked UConn out, because UConn not only beats Syracuse in basketball, but also in football.

Look up UConn's record against Syracuse. UConn pushed that school aside in no time. And the reason why is simple. No one plays football within a 300 mile radius of Syracuse. Whereas the state of Connecticut actually produced more than 10 players who were drafted into the NFL in a single year recently.

Reaction Score
FSU did not "lock out" UConn for Syracuse...they pushed for Louisville after the Cuse addition (and this is internet conjecture since I have never seen it officially linked).

We have discussed, too much, the reasons why that made sense for the southern tier.

Reaction Score
To troll means to post a truth that someone dislikes.

I guess we know nothing about UConn and New York, having been to the BET countless times over the years. That a women's game bumps a Syracuse BE game means nothing. You're simly impressed solely by the most overhyped bball game in history. That means everything to you.

Reaction Score
FSU did not "lock out" UConn for Syracuse...they pushed for Louisville after the Cuse addition (and this is internet conjecture since I have never seen it officially linked).

We have discussed, too much, the reasons why that made sense for the southern tier.

Syracuse record against UConn football since UConn joined the BE: 2-6

Reaction Score
It means what it means...that folks tuned in to watch the game.

And Duke was #17 at the time. But, it was probably Duke's national attraction.

I looked up the most watched games of the 2012-13 season, and three of the top five featured Duke, the other two featured Indiana.

Reaction Score
We'll never know. The women's bball program outdrew not only Syracuse men's bball, but they did so in NY. The SNY channel had all the packages and UConn bball was the most popular, they kick off the others head-to-head. UConn made $25 million a year in those licensing rights plus coaches shows, etc. But they lost 3rd tier rights in the new package. In return, UConn is now on national TV all the time. That seems to be the deal. We're on more than we ever were before, and have more exposure than the ACC teams. The contract guarantees that 90% of AAC football games will be on either ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU. Now, they could dump everything on U if they wanted, but last year they didn't do that. There were as many games on ESPN and 2.
So let me get this straight. You were getting 25 million a year for just your Tier 3, radio, coaches shows, etc... But now you get a few more games on TV and only get 2 million from your TV contract and you are happy about it. Do you still have any income from that 25 million # or is that all being shared with the AAC members now?

Reaction Score
A gawd awful coaching hire set UConn way back. Most here are optimistic with Diaco we will get back to winning ways. Pre Pasqualoni we were winning BE titles, playing and winning bowl games, beating name schools, and played in a BCS bowl (in a pretty short time frame moving up to FBS level). The facilities weren't the problem.
Where did Diaco come from? I am not familiar with his past coaching positions for some reason.

Reaction Score
Ok. I don't think they are among the best either.

There is no way that UConn has facilities as nice as tOSU, Wisconsin, Michigan, Oregon, Oklahoma, Texas, aTm, LSU, Bama, Georgia, Florida, Nebraska, etc. It's just not possible for any AAC team to have nicer FB facilities than the blue bloods of college football. These teams put 100k fans at every home game, and they get hundreds of millions of dollars in donations every year. Oklahoma State has nice facilities but I dont' claim that they are as good as those teams I mentioned either, they are close but not the same.

This is the type redneck, white trash thinking that we are up against.

Okie lite,

Time for you to head down to Stuckeys and get another pecan log roll and some firecrackers.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Where did Diaco come from? I am not familiar with his past coaching positions for some reason.

Defensive Coordinator at Notre Dame. Was voted the top Defensive assistant in all of FBS two years ago and was 2nd place last year.

Edit: won Broyles award in 2012, and was finalist last year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It means what it means...that folks tuned in to watch the game.

And Duke was #17 at the time. But, it was probably Duke's national attraction.

I looked up the most watched games of the 2012-13 season, and three of the top five featured Duke, the other two featured Indiana.

ESPN hyped the holy hell out of that. The rivalry!!!!

What rivalry?

Reaction Score
So let me get this straight. You were getting 25 million a year for just your Tier 3, radio, coaches shows, etc... But now you get a few more games on TV and only get 2 million from your TV contract and you are happy about it. Do you still have any income from that 25 million # or is that all being shared with the AAC members now?

That was licensing, ad revenues, etc., much of it associated with tier 3 programming, but including branding. The coaches shows are still there. I believe the contract with the producer (IMG) at base brings in $10m a year. SNY was also paying $2m a year outright just for the women's 3rd tier rights (yes, that money is now gone--ESPN is enjoying it instead of the school). So, there's no way to know what the coaches shows on SNY are going to draw since there are now fewer games (esp. men's bball) on SNY. That $25m will likely fall to anywhere between $15-22m I bet. Happy about it? Say what? You think UConn fans are happy about any of this?

Reaction Score
Not knowing that Bob Diaco is our coach? He was possibly the most recognizable assistant in all of college football the last two years. It was headline news.

To you possibly but to most people no. 5 year deal worth 8 million, that is pretty cheap for a head coach. Most major schools spend at least 2 million per year if not quite a bit more. Lets talk about popular coordinators the last few years. Kliff Kingsbury, OC for aTm, won a Heisman with JF and is not head coach at TT. His deal is worth about 2 million per year plus incentives. Dana Hoplgerson was another hot assistant coach who got a new deal with WVU when he left OSU as OC, worth 20 million over 6 years. The bottom line is that if Diaco was really that sought after he would have had more interest and gotten a bigger contract than he did. There is a reason that other assistant have gotten bigger deals in the last few years.

To put it in perspective OU pays 4.5 million per year and OSU pays 3.75 million. That is what top coaches are worth these days. Compare that to the 1.6 you are paying and you will quickly see that is Diaco is successful it is likely that someone will come in and try to snatch him up by paying him double or even triple what he is getting.

Reaction Score
That was licensing, ad revenues, etc., much of it associated with tier 3 programming, but including branding. The coaches shows are still there. I believe the contract with the producer (IMG) at base brings in $10m a year. SNY was also paying $2m a year outright just for the women's 3rd tier rights (yes, that money is now gone--ESPN is enjoying it instead of the school). So, there's no way to know what the coaches shows on SNY are going to draw since there are now fewer games (esp. men's bball) on SNY. That $25m will likely fall to anywhere between $15-22m I bet. Happy about it? Say what? You think UConn fans are happy about any of this?
That is still really impressive if true. Those are some big time numbers to not include any good games.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You're wrong. 100% wrong. You're making a VERY uninformed statement based on assumptions/perception (the ACC may have a job for you on their CR selection committee). I've been in UConn's, tOSU's, and UM's in the past 3 years and UConn's is nicer and more modern by a mile (not talking about stadium, just the facilities and indoor practice field). Our current AD (former Michigan Man) has said as much upon his arrival a couple years ago. According to the NFL scouts who show up for practice and come to the pro days UConn's is one of the nicest and most impressive (Oregon's was pretty unanimously #1 from the scouts), on par or better than pretty much anything else out there.
Oregon's practice facility is said to be more modern because it is. I opened 2 years ago. It is a common statement that UConn has some of the best facilities in the country.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
To you possibly but to most people no. 5 year deal worth 8 million, that is pretty cheap for a head coach. Most major schools spend at least 2 million per year if not quite a bit more. Lets talk about popular coordinators the last few years. Kliff Kingsbury, OC for aTm, won a Heisman with JF and is not head coach at TT. His deal is worth about 2 million per year plus incentives. Dana Hoplgerson was another hot assistant coach who got a new deal with WVU when he left OSU as OC, worth 20 million over 6 years. The bottom line is that if Diaco was really that sought after he would have had more interest and gotten a bigger contract than he did. There is a reason that other assistant have gotten bigger deals in the last few years.

To put it in perspective OU pays 4.5 million per year and OSU pays 3.75 million. That is what top coaches are worth these days. Compare that to the 1.6 you are paying and you will quickly see that is Diaco is successful it is likely that someone will come in and try to snatch him up by paying him double or even triple what he is getting.

Sorry, but this is just ignorant. He was, two years ago when ND played in the title game, the hottest, most talked about assistant in the game. Period. He's young however, and has never been a HC. He was rumored at Wisconsin, BC and other places. I certainly knew all about him long before we were even looking for a coach. Why are you hung up on spending as the measure of everything? You need to get out more, or you don't really follow college football.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/notredame/2012/12/notre_dames_bob_diaco_reported.html
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ould-hire-notre-dames-bob-diaco-as-head-coach

Reaction Score
Upstater:

The problem that UConn had, perception wise, with the Clemson-FSU and ACC football guys wasn't its prowess vis a vis Syracuse in football.

It was the thinking that UConn was another basketball school.

Syracuse was what it was...Coach K and Williams wanting Boeheim's crew and having the votes lined up.

FSU so loathed Maryland as an opponent that it colored any replacement. If a team looked like it may offer some football competition, it had to be better then the Terp's waste of Saturdays.

UConn's record against the ACC since 2000 is .312 (5-11). Not really too bad of a record on the surface.

But UConn did not beat any ACC team with a winning record or a .500 conference record.

And Louisville had Strong and looked to be coming on...the Cards had a winning record against the ACC since 2000...with a win over 9 win FSU and a win over the ACC Champ in the Orange Bowl in 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom