Att: Visiting southern and midwestern hayseeds | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Att: Visiting southern and midwestern hayseeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was under the impression that many (half?) AAC "national" television broadcasts would be ESPN3. Am I misunderstanding something?

Yes. Here's a link from ESPN and the AAC
http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/77643/espn-big-east-announce-media-rights-deal
http://theamerican.org/sports/2013/6/20/GEN_0620130254.aspx

The basketball portion of the deal kicked in this year, but football kicks in this fall. Check out how many AAC games were televised for basketball. I can't remember UConn game this season that wasn't televised.
http://theamerican.org/news/2013/8/21/MBB_0821134423.aspx

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
But....but.....it's.. UCONN!?

:)

It's one thing for then to accurately point out that the stadium is not quite like LSUs, and that the history isn't really there, nor do we draw a huge Michigan sized crowds or travel like Nebraska. It's another thing to suggest that through a bizarre freaking accident of conference relianment putting us in the AAC we aren't allowed to strive and invest like the big boys. Not knowing that Bob Diaco is our coach? He was possibly the most recognizable assistant in all of college football the last two years. It was headline news.

We take that attitude toward less successful hoops teams and I hate it. I hope you get your wish Carl, and we kick some ass, very publicly.

Reaction Score
Yes. Here's a link from ESPN and the AAC
http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/77643/espn-big-east-announce-media-rights-deal
http://theamerican.org/sports/2013/6/20/GEN_0620130254.aspx

The basketball portion of the deal kicked in this year, but football kicks in this fall. Check out how many AAC games were televised for basketball. I can't remember UConn game this season that wasn't televised.
http://theamerican.org/news/2013/8/21/MBB_0821134423.aspx

Okay, thank you for clarifying. As one with ties to UCF and UConn, I was recalling a lot of ESPN3 in 2013 football season, and I was not recalling that the new deal starts for football in 2014.

So, for better and for worse, the AAC will have many Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday football games, I suppose?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The schools are similarly sized with UConn growing faster, BUT even if Syracuse held more sway over NY (and SNY chopping off Syracuse BE games in favor of UConn women's games in the NYC market doesn't back that position), you'd still have to say that UConn's portion of NYC + Conn. is > Syracuse's portion of NYC + Central NY.
You could say that, except Syracuse doesn't have a portion of NYC. They do have a portion of upstate NY, so there's that.

Reaction Score
Okay, thank you for clarifying. As one with ties to UCF and UConn, I was recalling a lot of ESPN3 in 2013 football season, and I was not recalling that the new deal starts for football in 2014.

So, for better and for worse, the AAC will have many Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday football games, I suppose?

The deals were staggered. But you are right, in order to schedule that games nationally you'll see quite a few weekday games. . . but there will be weekend games too. It will still be a dramatic upgrade in visibility.

Reaction Score
Taking Pitt and Louisville did hamper the Big 12's expansion plans. You have to ask yourself, who was more stupid, the ACC or the Big 12?

At first i always thought the Big 12, but upon reflection thinking out 7 to 15 years the ACC will rue the day they picked Pitt and UL. In 7 to 15 years Pitt and UL will be isolated, victims of crummy athletic programs, hated within their league, and academically falling. The Big 12 snookered the ACC.

Does anyone think if Pitt moved to the Big 12 that it would move the national athletic conference needle. HA.

Reaction Score
You need to do some research on our media deal. In exchange for a pittance of revenue, the vast majority of AAC teams are guaranteed to be shown on nationally televised platforms. They'll be on almost every week, if not every week. Enjoy watching UConn football.

He really does need to do research. if his same logic applied to basketball, he'd have to explain why the ACC gets $20m and the AAC only $2m, yet UConn was on ESPN, ESPN2 and CBS a total of 16 times, while some of the ACC teams that made the tournament were only on those national channels a total of 4 times.

Reaction Score
At first i always thought the Big 12, but upon reflection thinking out 7 to 15 years the ACC will rue the day they picked Pitt and UL. In 7 to 15 years Pitt and UL will be isolated, victims of crummy athletic programs, hated within their league, and academically falling. The Big 12 snookered the ACC.

Does anyone think if Pitt moved to the Big 12 that it would move the national athletic conference needle. HA.
Western PA is LOADED on natural resources...

Reaction Score
Hundreds of millions in donations every year, eh?

No.

Yes, hundreds of millions is what big time schools get in donations every year.. Here is proof.

http://www.businessinsider.com/char...texas-am-past-texas-as-top-money-maker-2013-9
Texas A&M University raised $740 million last year according to DallasNews.com. The amount breaks the record set by Wisconsin in 2005 ($595 million) and could help the school's athletic department surpass Texas as the richest in college sports.
It is unclear at this point how much of the $740 million was given specifically for sports. But according to the school president, more than one-third ($246 million) was donated specifically to cover the costs of the $450 million renovations to the school's football field. The president also cited the recent success of the football team, led by Johnny Manziel, as a big factor in the donation surge.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-740-million-in-donations-may-push-texas-am-past-texas-as-top-money-maker-2013-9#ixzz2xCsvvhbd

Reaction Score
Yes, hundreds of millions is what big time schools get in donations every year.. Here is proof.

http://www.businessinsider.com/char...texas-am-past-texas-as-top-money-maker-2013-9
Texas A&M University raised $740 million last year according to DallasNews.com. The amount breaks the record set by Wisconsin in 2005 ($595 million) and could help the school's athletic department surpass Texas as the richest in college sports.
It is unclear at this point how much of the $740 million was given specifically for sports. But according to the school president, more than one-third ($246 million) was donated specifically to cover the costs of the $450 million renovations to the school's football field. The president also cited the recent success of the football team, led by Johnny Manziel, as a big factor in the donation surge.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-740-million-in-donations-may-push-texas-am-past-texas-as-top-money-maker-2013-9#ixzz2xCsvvhbd

Connecticut taxpayers donated over $1B. . .

Reaction Score
TV broadcasters want national eyeballs.....MSG wants butts in seats.

This Sweet 16 should make both happy.

Me? I'm happy about finally checking off a bucket list...even if it is just the NIT semi final with a half ass team..

How would you like to be the Rodney Dangerfield of the NCAA tournament? This from Bristol, TN local news:

BjxQ0BnIgAAtAxt.jpg

Good luck to Florida State in the NIT.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Not so...

"Aresco notes the conference plays football games on Thursday and Friday nights -- allowing for TV exposure away from college football's glut of games on Saturdays -- and says he wants to schedule football "creatively" for TV. And on that, he manages to point to an issue involving the league that seems to have been settled: "We won't be playing (football) on Mondays and Tuesdays and ESPN hasn't asked us to do that."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport.../big-east-tv-rights-espn-fox-cbs-nbc/2000245/

"Aresco said the Big East won't be playing football on Sundays, Mondays or Tuesdays under the new deal. There could be "a Wednesday or two" to accommodate ESPN, he said, but the bulk of games will be on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-mike-aresco-catholic-7-negotiations/1957721/

Last edited:
Reaction Score

That article is a fraud.

Read it closely.

How can you count endowment returns and research grants as "donations?"

Yearly?

Come on!! STop it.

Reaction Score
Guys,

I am impressed with what you have shown me about your facilities but in no way are those the best in the country. Schools like Oregon simply have more money and better stuff then just about anybody. It seems like every team in the Big 12 is throwing hundreds of millions of dollars in facilities every few years just to try and keep up with the SEC teams who spend even more. That is what it takes to impress 18 year old kids apparently.

Please understand that I like most people in the country don't know much about UConn FB. We all know UConn BB is a strong program and the WBB is the best in the country. As far as FB I don't even know who your coach is, but I bet you know who OU and OSU's coach is. OU because they played UConn in the BCS bowl and OSU's because of the rant. "I'm 40, I'm a man", that was embarrassing. UConn FB is just an under the radar type program that has a great opportunity to grow to the level that the BB and WBB programs have. Pretty amazing what has been done in such a short time already.
I actually don't know who coaches any Oklahoma team, or Oklahoma State for that matter. I know that they are good, but not great, in football and have tornadoes. That's about it.

Reaction Score
Ok. I don't think they are among the best either.

There is no way that UConn has facilities as nice as tOSU, Wisconsin, Michigan, Oregon, Oklahoma, Texas, aTm, LSU, Bama, Georgia, Florida, Nebraska, etc. It's just not possible for any AAC team to have nicer FB facilities than the blue bloods of college football. These teams put 100k fans at every home game, and they get hundreds of millions of dollars in donations every year. Oklahoma State has nice facilities but I dont' claim that they are as good as those teams I mentioned either, they are close but not the same.
You're wrong. 100% wrong. You're making a VERY uninformed statement based on assumptions/perception (the ACC may have a job for you on their CR selection committee). I've been in UConn's, tOSU's, and UM's in the past 3 years and UConn's is nicer and more modern by a mile (not talking about stadium, just the facilities and indoor practice field). Our current AD (former Michigan Man) has said as much upon his arrival a couple years ago. According to the NFL scouts who show up for practice and come to the pro days UConn's is one of the nicest and most impressive (Oregon's was pretty unanimously #1 from the scouts), on par or better than pretty much anything else out there.

Reaction Score
I actually don't know who coaches any Oklahoma team, or Oklahoma State for that matter. I know that they are good, but not great, in football and have tornadoes. That's about it.

Fair enough. Do you know any of the coaches in the Big 12?

Reaction Score
You're wrong. 100% wrong. You're making a VERY uninformed statement based on assumptions/perception (the ACC may have a job for you on their CR selection committee). I've been in UConn's, tOSU's, and UM's in the past 3 years and UConn's is nicer and more modern by a mile (not talking about stadium, just the facilities and indoor practice field). Our current AD (former Michigan Man) has said as much upon his arrival a couple years ago. According to the NFL scouts who show up for practice and come to the pro days UConn's is one of the nicest and most impressive (Oregon's was pretty unanimously #1 from the scouts), on par or better than pretty much anything else out there.

Sounds like you already have the facilites necessary to compete if you are even close to what Oregon has.. So what would you say the program needs the most moving forward?

Reaction Score
Sounds like you already have the facilites necessary to compete if you are even close to what Oregon has.. So what would you say the program needs the most moving forward?
Proper conference affiliation. Imagine Oklahoma State being in the C-USA.

Reaction Score
He really does need to do research. if his same logic applied to basketball, he'd have to explain why the ACC gets $20m and the AAC only $2m, yet UConn was on ESPN, ESPN2 and CBS a total of 16 times, while some of the ACC teams that made the tournament were only on those national channels a total of 4 times.

With all due respect lets get real. The ACC people say the exact same thing. Trying to convince me that The AAC teams like SMU and Houston are going to have better exposure than OU. Temple is going to have better exposure than OU. In the future Tulsa will have better exposure than OU, this is by far the most laughable. Memphis will have better exposure than OU. I simply don't buy that. No amount of research will make me believe that is true because it simoply isn't. But if it makes you feel better then so be it. I know darn well that OSU does not get the same exosure as OU and have no problem admitting it. OU has some pretty amazing TV deals with Fox. Some of the deals these individual teams can get are simply amazing. I'm sure Uconn has a great deal for whatever media you have the rights to sell.

Reaction Score
Proper conference affiliation. Imagine Oklahoma State being in the C-USA.

Misread the first time. my apologies.

We could get left behind of the Big 12 collapsed. I'd hope we could get in the AAC so we coudl play SMU, Houston, Tulsa, Tulane, Memphis as those are all somewhat regional games for fans to travel to.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With all due respect lets get real. The ACC people say the exact same thing. Trying to convince me that The AAC teams like SMU and Houston are going to have better exposure than OU. Temple is going to have better exposure than OU. In the future Tulsa will have better exposure than OU, this is by far the most laughable. Memphis will have better exposure than OU. I simply don't buy that. No amount of research will make me believe that is true because it simoply isn't. But if it makes you feel better then so be it. I know darn well that OSU does not get the same exosure as OU and have no problem admitting it. OU has some pretty amazing TV deals with Fox. Some of the deals these individual teams can get are simply amazing. I'm sure Uconn has a great deal for whatever media you have the rights to sell.

It's already a reality. We saw it this year. UConn has no media rights to sell. The AAC has all our rights, and they sold all our rights to ESPN. ESPN then guarantees that UConn will be on nationally far more than we ever were in the BE, and we're on far more than any other teams in bball except for North Carolina (17 games), Duke & Kentucky (18 games). In football, every one of the games but the OOC against minnows will be televised nationally.

Reaction Score
It's already a reality. We saw it this year. UConn has no media rights to sell. The AAC has all our rights, and they sold all our rights to ESPN. ESPN then guarantees that UConn will be on nationally far more than we ever were in the BE, and we're on far more than any other teams in bball except for North Carolina (17 games), Duke & Kentucky (18 games). In football, every one of the games but the OOC against minnows will be televised nationally.
That sucks for UConn. Supporting all those less valuable programs. I would imagine UConn could make over 5 million just from the Tier 3 package the Big 12 gives you with FB, BB, and WBB games. On top of the conference payout.

Reaction Score
A gawd awful coaching hire set UConn way back. Most here are optimistic with Diaco we will get back to winning ways. Pre Pasqualoni we were winning BE titles, playing and winning bowl games, beating name schools, and played in a BCS bowl (in a pretty short time frame moving up to FBS level). The facilities weren't the problem.

Reaction Score
This is a gem, says a lot about you. I have no need to insult you to make myself feel better so I won't stoop to your level. If you think OSU belongs with C-USA who knows, you might be right. We could get left behind of the Big 12 collapsed. I'd hope we could get in the AAC so we coudl play SMU, Houston, Tulsa, Tulane, Memphis as those are all somewhat regional games for fans to travel to.

Wow. You totally misread what he wrote.

Reaction Score
That sucks for UConn. Supporting all those less valuable programs. I would imagine UConn could make over 5 million just from the Tier 3 package the Big 12 gives you with FB, BB, and WBB games. On top of the conference payout.

We'll never know. The women's bball program outdrew not only Syracuse men's bball, but they did so in NY. The SNY channel had all the packages and UConn bball was the most popular, they kick off the others head-to-head. UConn made $25 million a year in those licensing rights plus coaches shows, etc. But they lost 3rd tier rights in the new package. In return, UConn is now on national TV all the time. That seems to be the deal. We're on more than we ever were before, and have more exposure than the ACC teams. The contract guarantees that 90% of AAC football games will be on either ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU. Now, they could dump everything on U if they wanted, but last year they didn't do that. There were as many games on ESPN and 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom