Att: Visiting southern and midwestern hayseeds | The Boneyard

Att: Visiting southern and midwestern hayseeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thankfully, we're a forgiving sort and are ready to move forward once you acknowledge your mistakes.

For curiosity's sake, does anyone know what the AAC's exit fee and waiting period are?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The name is new, but the conference is not - the old Big East rules remain in place.

$10M and 27 months.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
In this world of CR (to continuously change the "rules" to kick UCONN in the sack), I fully expect expect to soon hear things along the lines of "New York is not a college market...we don't want it anyway".

Reaction Score
The name is new, but the conference is not - the old Big East rules remain in place.

$10M and 27 months.

I wonder about this. The old BE had bylaws that said the penalty would be reduced in the event that the TV package was reduced.

Reaction Score
Hey...will be leaving Sunday for NY...will be at the MSG Tuesday for 7:00 PM game (first visit to NY)....Will be outa here for a week.

All I know about New York is that the Bronx is up and the Battery is down....Still looking for a hotel as I type.

Reaction Score
One glaring flaw in your conferences' efforts to corral New York City.

Thankfully, we're a forgiving sort and are ready to move forward once you acknowledge your mistakes.

Was considering going early in the week since we're playing, but those ticket prices are too rich for me. Will be watching on CBS. I don't think that there is any question that UConn basketball is a draw most anywhere, and especially in New York.

Reaction Score
TV broadcasters want national eyeballs.....MSG wants butts in seats.

This Sweet 16 should make both happy.

Me? I'm happy about finally checking off a bucket list...even if it is just the NIT semi final with a half ass team..

Reaction Score
TV broadcasters want national eyeballs.....MSG wants butts in seats.

This Sweet 16 should make both happy.

Me? I'm happy about finally checking off a bucket list...even if it is just the NIT semi final with a half ass team..

And Ct. has millions of eyeballs.

UConn had double the tier 3 licensing money that Louisville did.

Why? Because of its market.

On a given night, UConn basketball is the top ranked show on TV, both network and cable.

When SNY picked up UConn's 3rd tier rights, it first got itself placed on basic cable across Connecticut, then it jacked up its monthly per customer from $1.60 to over $2.50+. That's power right there.

The ACC chose the wrong schools without a doubt.

Reaction Score
And Ct. has millions of eyeballs.

UConn had double the tier 3 licensing money that Louisville did.

Why? Because of its market.

On a given night, UConn basketball is the top ranked show on TV, both network and cable.

When SNY picked up UConn's 3rd tier rights, it first got itself placed on basic cable across Connecticut, then it jacked up its monthly per customer from $1.60 to over $2.50+. That's power right there.

The ACC chose the wrong schools without a doubt.
I think to be fair, if the ACC was choosing to penetrate the NYC market, that Syracuse may have been a better selection than Connecticut [as much treason as it is to say, they have a larger alumni base so it makes sense more of those alumni would be in NYC]. Choosing Pitt and Louisville over UConn was just astoundingly dumb.

Reaction Score
I think to be fair, if the ACC was choosing to penetrate the NYC market, that Syracuse may have been a better selection than Connecticut [as much treason as it is to say, they have a larger alumni base so it makes sense more of those alumni would be in NYC]. Choosing Pitt and Louisville over UConn was just astoundingly dumb.

The schools are similarly sized with UConn growing faster, BUT even if Syracuse held more sway over NY (and SNY chopping off Syracuse BE games in favor of UConn women's games in the NYC market doesn't back that position), you'd still have to say that UConn's portion of NYC + Conn. is > Syracuse's portion of NYC + Central NY.

Reaction Score
Taking Pitt and Louisville did hamper the Big 12's expansion plans. You have to ask yourself, who was more stupid, the ACC or the Big 12?

Reaction Score

$10M and 27 months.
Isn't that like 5 years of conference payouts? Seriously that makes the 50 million the ACC is asking Maryland for look reasonable.

Reaction Score
Syracuse has benefitted from New York not having a clear flagship university and has always drawn kids from greater NYC and Long Island (although it's changing). These kids don't typically stick around Syracuse post graduation, and many return to NYC, so they do have a presence. But, that doesn't make them NY's team. In addition, much of the fan turnout at the university is by comprised of a local fan base with really not a whole lot of options when it comes to sports and other distractions. Not many of these fans make 5-6 hour trip down to NYC.

Reaction Score
Taking Pitt and Louisville did hamper the Big 12's expansion plans. You have to ask yourself, who was more stupid, the ACC or the Big 12?
Both are pretty stupid but as a Big 12 fan I think we made a mistake. I would have preferred staying at 8 or going to 12, 10 is no mans land. I also think that the ACC having a partial member is likely going to bite them in the arse. But the biggest idiot/loser in the whole thing was the Big East. After turning down a fair offer from ESPN they completely fell apart. The biggest reason for this was Notre Dame. They thought they could out do the ACC TV deal and then the ACC just took some of the more valuable schools form the BE.

The real problem is not the great ratings the UConn gets in NYC for BB and WBB. It's the fact that there is little interest in that part of the world for college football. I've looked at the attendance numbers and there is literally not a legitimate football school anywhere in the NE. Looks like the schools such as Cuse, BC, and UConn are the best in the area but all 3 struggle to get even mediocre attendance by most CFB standards with many games in the 30k range. That is pretty comparable to schools like Houston in Big 12 country. Even schools like ISU draw nearly double what BC, Cuse, and UConn draw. That is going to be the challenge for UConn moving forward IMO.

pj

Reaction Score

What is the ACC's strategic goal, to strengthen the ACC or harm the B12?

Reaction Score
What is the ACC's strategic goal, to strengthen the ACC or harm the B12?
Strengthen. But not many options available for the ACC. They took the schools the Big 12 wanted the most.

Reaction Score
Isn't that like 5 years of conference payouts? Seriously that makes the 50 million the ACC is asking Maryland for look reasonable.

Conference payouts are comprised of more than TV revenue. But if you look at revenue/budgets, $10M comprises 15% of UConn's annual budget, whereas the $50M is approaching 100% of Kansas State's or Iowa State's budget.

Reaction Score
Both are pretty stupid but as a Big 12 fan I think we made a mistake. I would have preferred staying at 8 or going to 12, 10 is no mans land. I also think that the ACC having a partial member is likely going to bite them in the arse. But the biggest idiot/loser in the whole thing was the Big East. After turning down a fair offer from ESPN they completely fell apart. The biggest reason for this was Notre Dame. They thought they could out do the ACC TV deal and then the ACC just took some of the more valuable schools form the BE.

The real problem is not the great ratings the UConn gets in NYC for BB and WBB. It's the fact that there is little interest in that part of the world for college football. I've looked at the attendance numbers and there is literally not a legitimate football school anywhere in the NE. Looks like the schools such as Cuse, BC, and UConn are the best in the area but all 3 struggle to get even mediocre attendance by most CFB standards with many games in the 30k range. That is pretty comparable to schools like Houston in Big 12 country. Even schools like ISU draw nearly double what BC, Cuse, and UConn draw. That is going to be the challenge for UConn moving forward IMO.

While I don't dispute your general take, UConn is in a conference with same of the schools you mention (Houston, etc.) and the attendance is not what you say. It's half as good as UConn's at best. Plus, you may not realize this but Penn State really is an Eastern school. It's as west as Syracuse and a stone's throw from U. Maryland, with most of its students coming from the Philly area. regardless, the point still stands about the schools the ACC chose. BC, Cuse, Pitt.

Reaction Score
We'd be selling out probably almost every football game if we were in the B1G.

You can't rely on other schools to fill your stadium for you, but I can see 5-10k extra fans per game if you were a B1G school. And even if you were right your stadium only holds 40k so that is still well below most power conference teams.

To put all this in perspective your last game barely had 17k people in attendance. That is almost identical to the university of Tulsa's lowest attended game last year. The university of Tulsa only has 4k students and is completely overshadowed by OU and OSU in the state. That fact that a tiny(smallest in FBS) private school has similar attendance to UConn which is a huge state flagship school in a more populated area shows that there is a problem in the NE with interest in CFB. Increasing fan interest in UConn FB is extremely important right now. Even getting more students at games would help solidify UConn as a power conference team.

Reaction Score
Conference payouts are comprised of more than TV revenue. But if you look at revenue/budgets, $10M comprises 15% of UConn's annual budget, whereas the $50M is approaching 100% of Kansas State's or Iowa State's budget.
True but as a % of yearly conference payouts 10 million for an AAC team is huge. That was my point. When you are only getting a few million per year it's a big deal. What is the payout for UConn in the AAC?

Reaction Score
While I don't dispute your general take, UConn is in a conference with same of the schools you mention (Houston, etc.) and the attendance is not what you say. It's half as good as UConn's at best. Plus, you may not realize this but Penn State really is an Eastern school. It's as west as Syracuse and a stone's throw from U. Maryland, with most of its students coming from the Philly area. regardless, the point still stands about the schools the ACC chose. BC, Cuse, Pitt.
Houston attendance ranged form 20k-34k last season
UConn attendance ranged from 17k - 42k last season
UConn has a slight edge but also has the least attended game as well and Houston is in the middle of a stadium remodel so their attendance was down playing in Reliant instead of their home stadium.
I have no idea how you came up with Houston having half the interest as UConn but the data does not support that claim. What did you base this claim on?

When I say the NE I guess I dont' consider Pennsylvania as part of that. I was referring to NY, Jersey, Conn, Mass, Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire. I dont' consider Maryland to be much of a football power either.

Reaction Score
To put all this in perspective your last game barely had 17k people in attendance.
I was one of those 17K. It has not been the norm here through the years. The Pasqualoni regime really crushed the drive of the fans. But now the fanbase is reinvigorated with Diaco. We may be fickle for the time being, sure. Our attendance ceiling is definitely higher than Syracuse and BC. The Rent can be expanded to 50K, at least. Football was created in New England, not New Jersey. Look how well the pro franchises do. Back when the Yale Bowl was selling out with tens of thousands of fans, Oklahoma A&M was getting crowds of few to several thousand.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Houston attendance ranged form 20k-34k last season
UConn attendance ranged from 17k - 42k last season
UConn has a slight edge but also has the least attended game as well and Houston is in the middle of a stadium remodel so their attendance was down playing in Reliant instead of their home stadium.
I have no idea how you came up with Houston having half the interest as UConn but the data does not support that claim. What did you base this claim on?

When I say the NE I guess I dont' consider Pennsylvania as part of that. I was referring to NY, Jersey, Conn, Mass, Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire. I dont' consider Maryland to be much of a football power either.
Bring in B12 schools (Texas, Oklahoma, OSU, Baylor, even West Virginia) and the Rent will be packed. Bring in Temple? South Florida? Memphis? Eh.

Competition matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul