Att: Visiting southern and midwestern hayseeds | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Att: Visiting southern and midwestern hayseeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
/ /
I think you are not understanding my point.
ACC exit fee =$50 million
ACC TV payout= Appx 20 milllion
ACC exit fee is 2.5 times the payout.

AAC exit fee(not confirmed)= 10 million
AAC TV payout= 2.2 million
AAC exit fee is 4,5 times the yearly payout.

Big 12 exit fee if I remember correctly was 12-15 million
At that time that was about what we were making per year
So the Big 12 exit fee was appx 1 year disbursement

That is my point. Charging more than 1 years payout is ridiculous, and paying 4.5 years of payouts is absolutely absurd. The exit fee for the AAC is excessive IMO.
To put it in perspective that would be like the Big 12 charging a 90 million (20 million x 4.5) $ exit fee. See how out of what a exit fee of 4.5 times payouts is?

BTW that really sucks that you only make 2.2 million. Clearly UConn is worth waaay more than that.

I understand your point, I just don't agree that it really matters too much for the AAC. UConn's total take annually is substantially more than the TV Contract. Also, consider that West Virginia didn't have a problem paying out $20M. If CUSA's or the A10's fee was $50M to join the AAC or NBE then we would be on the same page. But, for the most part, teams in the AAC are looking to join a P5 conference, or at the very least they don't aspire to join CUSA. Also, UConn's budget is probably close to $1B. So in that context, paying a $10M exit fee vs. a $50M exit fee looks pretty good.

Yes. UConn is worth more than that. However, the TV deal traded guaranteed exposure for revenue. It's very likely we'll be on national television much more frequently than Oklahoma this fall.

Reaction Score
I did not realize you had a new stadium, how long ago was it built?

It's not just about the stadium. Gotta include indoor practice facilities, weight facilities, training facilities, dorms, cafeterias for athletes, equipment, etc... College football is an arms race, those who have the money and facilities get the best players and coaches.

Our facilities are among the best in the nation.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
We're not running a mom n' pop shop up here.
Given our results, it's probably fair and maybe even expected for an outsider to assume we're running a mom 'n' pop shop. Pre-Diaco it was probably better termed a pops 'n' pops shop.

Reaction Score
We may need Boneyard "On-Boarding" process for new members. Perhaps start with a series of preliminary questions to gauge its intensity, i.e., a refresher course versus a full on boot camp.

Reaction Score
I understand your point, I just don't agree that it really matters too much for the AAC. UConn's total take annually is substantially more than the TV Contract. Also, consider that West Virginia didn't have a problem paying out $20M. If CUSA's or the A10's fee was $50M to join the AAC or NBE then we would be on the same page. But, for the most part, teams in the AAC are looking to join a P5 conference, or at the very least they don't aspire to join CUSA. Also, UConn's budget is probably close to $1B. So in that context, paying a $10M exit fee vs. a $50M exit fee looks pretty good.

Yes. UConn is worth more than that. However, the TV deal traded guaranteed exposure for revenue. It's very likely we'll be on national television much more frequently than Oklahoma this fall.

How do you figure this?
You think UConn will be on national TV 1 more time than OU? 2? 3?

With all due respect please be realistic about things, no team in the AAC will get better exposure than power conference teams. That is why the AAC teams get 2 million per year and the power conference teams get 20 million. It does not take a genius to figure out which teams will be on national TV more.

Do you really think OU and OSU are not on national TV for just about every game?

Reaction Score
Guys,

I am impressed with what you have shown me about your facilities but in no way are those the best in the country. Schools like Oregon simply have more money and better stuff then just about anybody. It seems like every team in the Big 12 is throwing hundreds of millions of dollars in facilities every few years just to try and keep up with the SEC teams who spend even more. That is what it takes to impress 18 year old kids apparently.

Please understand that I like most people in the country don't know much about UConn FB. We all know UConn BB is a strong program and the WBB is the best in the country. As far as FB I don't even know who your coach is, but I bet you know who OU and OSU's coach is. OU because they played UConn in the BCS bowl and OSU's because of the rant. "I'm 40, I'm a man", that was embarrassing. UConn FB is just an under the radar type program that has a great opportunity to grow to the level that the BB and WBB programs have. Pretty amazing what has been done in such a short time already.

Reaction Score
Guys,

I am impressed with what you have shown me about your facilities but in no way are those the best in the country. Schools like Oregon simply have more money and better stuff then just about anybody. It seems like every team in the Big 12 is throwing hundreds of millions of dollars in facilities every few years just to try and keep up with the SEC teams who spend even more. That is what it takes to impress 18 year old kids apparently.

Please understand that I like most people in the country don't know much about UConn FB. We all know UConn BB is a strong program and the WBB is the best in the country. As far as FB I don't even know who your coach is, but I bet you know who OU and OSU's coach is. OU because they played UConn in the BCS bowl and OSU's because of the rant. "I'm 40, I'm a man", that was embarrassing. UConn FB is just an under the radar type program that has a great opportunity to grow to the level that the BB and WBB programs have. Pretty amazing what has been done in such a short time already.

I can't wait until we get back to the quality of game where people like this are walking out of their stadium slack jawed wondering WTF just steam rolled them.

One of the happiest moments of my UCONN fandom was listening to Steve Spurrier's apology and pure embarrassment to all the South Carolina fans that made the trip to Birmingham in January 2010.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Guys,I am impressed with what you have shown me about your facilities but in no way are those the best in the country.
Just to be clear, he didn't say they were the best. He said among the best.
Our facilities are among the best in the nation.

Reaction Score
Guys,

A couple things to consider:

1. UConn hosts a lot more sports than the B12 does. It needs a lot more facilities. Not only new football, but new basketball, men's and women's, soccer and ice hockey, etc. But of the BE schools which included teams like Louisville and southern schools like USF, UConn had the nicest facilities.

2. Here's what Robert Griffin had to say about UConn's stadium: http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/vid...ii-talks-video-games-draft?readmore=fullstory

Robert Griffin III: The thing that people think is when you go to these big stadiums and they have 80,000 people or 100,000 people, that these are the toughest stadiums to play at, but really, those aren't. When you have that many people, most of the time, the fans are pretty far away from the field. The toughest places to play are the ones that are jam-packed, are really tight to the field, and sit about 45,000 people. When we played at UConn my freshman year, that was the loudest place I've ever been as a football player. The stands are right next to the field, it was packed, and everyone was yelling. That was probably the coolest place for me to play at aside from Texas, Texas A&M, and Nebraska.

3. Between new facilities, stadium for football, new facilities for men's and women's basketball, UConn and the state will have spent over $200m on athletic facilities, and that's BEFORE the hockey arena and baseball stadium are built.

Reaction Score
I can't wait until we get back to the quality of game where people like this are walking out of their stadium slack jawed wondering WTF just steam rolled them.

One of the happiest moments of my UCONN fandom was listening to Steve Spurrier's apology and pure embarrassment to all the South Carolina fans that made the trip to Birmingham in January 2010.

I can assure you that there are millions of "people like this" who do not know anything about UConn football. Rightfully so. Your program is young and quite frankly aside from 2010, have not done much that would get peoples attention. Don't take it so personally.

The fact that a coach apologized to his fans after losing to UConn pretty much sums it up. I bet the next time you beat them he doesn't have to apologize. Win a big game like that every year for the next 5 and you will help build your reputation. Looks like you will have the opportunity against teams like BYU, Illinois, Tenn, Virginia, and possibly Boise (depending on how they do with a new coach). On top of that win the AAC at least a couple of times. The opportunity is there.

Reaction Score
okielite said:
The fact that a coach apologized to his fans after losing to UConn pretty much sums it up. I bet the next time you beat them he doesn't have to apologize. Win a big game like that every year for the next 5 and you will help build your reputation. Looks like you will have the opportunity against teams like BYU, Illinois, Tenn, Virginia, and possibly Boise (depending on how they do with a new coach). On top of that win the AAC at least a couple of times. The opportunity is there.

You are essentially describing 2011 Uconn that was passed over for Pitt and Syracuse.

Two conference championships. Wins over name programs like notre dame, USCe, Uva, ISU, Baylor, etc.

Edit:

And since were on the topic of practice facilties, and everyone loves rankings here's ESPN's rank of our facilities as stacked up in the Big East.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/62051/ranking-big-east-football-facilities

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just to be clear, he didn't say they were the best. He said among the best.
Ok. I don't think they are among the best either.

There is no way that UConn has facilities as nice as tOSU, Wisconsin, Michigan, Oregon, Oklahoma, Texas, aTm, LSU, Bama, Georgia, Florida, Nebraska, etc...... It's just not possible for any AAC team to have nicer FB facilities than the blue bloods of college football. These teams put 100k fans at every home game, and they get hundreds of millions of dollars in donations every year. Oklahoma State has nice facilities but I dont' claim that they are as good as those teams I mentioned either, they are close but not the same.

Reaction Score

There is no way that UConn has facilities as nice as tOSU, Wisconsin, Michigan, Oregon, Oklahoma, Texas, aTm, LSU, Bama, Georgia, Florida, Nebraska, etc. It's just not possible for any AAC team to have nicer FB facilities than the blue bloods of college football. These teams put 100k fans at every home game, and they get hundreds of millions of dollars in donations every year. Oklahoma State has nice facilities but I dont' claim that they are as good as those teams I mentioned either, they are close but not the same.

Unbelievable - isn't it?

Reaction Score
I've been going to the Rent since it opened (missed three games in total) , and last year was by far the bottom of the barrel for Huskies. the fact is, that we DO play in the northeast where weather is inclement soetimes, and the program has been hampered by CR and PP. There is no doubt that if/when we do find a nice landing spot, with a new voice , the Rent will be at capacity. and although its not located on a college campus, the gameday experience is pretty special. now if we could only get fanny's in the seats by gametime, it could be one of the best in the country. I've been to many college and pro venues, and tailgating at the Rent is better than most.

Reaction Score
I can assure you that there are millions of "people like this" who do not know anything about UConn football. Rightfully so. Your program is young and quite frankly aside from 2010, have not done much that would get peoples attention. Don't take it so personally.

You're not telling me anything I don't already know, and I'm not taking it personally. The past 3 seasons of inconsistent garbage we've put out on the field, I do take personally, and I can't wait for it to be turned around. August 29 is game day and BYU is coming to get their first UCONN experience. Have a nice day. Thank you for interest in UCONN athletics.

Reaction Score

South Carolina was thoroughly dominated by UConn. He should apologize for that. I can understand losing to UConn in a close game, but to be thoroughly dominated in a game in your backyard? Lots of other P5 schools have been beaten badly as well, including a B12 school with Seneca Wallace on the cusp of a bowl appearance, Robert Griffin's Baylor teams got beaten twice by UConn, 5 ACC teams including a 45-10 annihilation of Virginia, Notre Dame @ South Bend, 2 SEC schools, 3 B1G schools. It's not like these wins don't keep happening over and over. UConn had a combined winning record of 18-14 against Louisville, Pitt and Syracuse, 3 new ACC schools. And even in its orst year, should have beaten Michigan.

Reaction Score

There is no way that UConn has facilities as nice as tOSU, Wisconsin, Michigan, Oregon, Oklahoma, Texas, aTm, LSU, Bama, Georgia, Florida, Nebraska, etc. It's just not possible for any AAC team to have nicer FB facilities than the blue bloods of college football. These teams put 100k fans at every home game, and they get hundreds of millions of dollars in donations every year. Oklahoma State has nice facilities but I dont' claim that they are as good as those teams I mentioned either, they are close but not the same.

Hundreds of millions in donations every year, eh?

No.

pj

Reaction Score

Probably fifty schools have better stadiums than UConn, but the practice facility and strength training facility were each among the 4-5 best in the country until a recent building spree with the big dollars that have flowed into college football the last few years. They are still among the top dozen or so.

Put it this way, our facilities are good enough to give us a recruiting and training advantage against most of the schools we compete against, in the ACC, AAC, MAC and B1G. They are good enough that we can recruit coaches from Notre Dame and strength and conditioning coaches from the SEC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How do you figure this?
You think UConn will be on national TV 1 more time than OU? 2? 3?

With all due respect please be realistic about things, no team in the AAC will get better exposure than power conference teams. That is why the AAC teams get 2 million per year and the power conference teams get 20 million. It does not take a genius to figure out which teams will be on national TV more.

Do you really think OU and OSU are not on national TV for just about every game?

You need to do some research on our media deal. In exchange for a pittance of revenue, the vast majority of AAC teams are guaranteed to be shown on nationally televised platforms. They'll be on almost every week, if not every week. Enjoy watching UConn football.

Reaction Score
South Carolina was thoroughly dominated by UConn. He should apologize for that. I can understand losing to UConn in a close game, but to be thoroughly dominated in a game in your backyard? Lots of other P5 schools have been beaten badly as well, including a B12 school with Seneca Wallace on the cusp of a bowl appearance, Robert Griffin's Baylor teams got beaten twice by UConn, 5 ACC teams including a 45-10 annihilation of Virginia, Notre Dame @ South Bend, 2 SEC schools, 3 B1G schools. It's not like these wins don't keep happening over and over. UConn had a combined winning record of 18-14 against Louisville, Pitt and Syracuse, 3 new ACC schools. And even in its orst year, should have beaten Michigan.

But....but.....it's.. UCONN!?

:)

Reaction Score
I was under the impression that many (half?) AAC "national" television broadcasts would be ESPN3. Am I misunderstanding something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom