Att: Visiting southern and midwestern hayseeds | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Att: Visiting southern and midwestern hayseeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What has changed in a few years? There was no one there when UConn plaued them?

Is this a matter of creative ticket counting?

By the way, UConn averaged $38k for a decade until Pasqualoni happened to us.

They sold 43k season tickets last year for a absolutely terrible team. That is 13k more than you averaged for total attendance and that was just their season tickets. They average 9,500 for WBB, one of the best in the country. 14k for BB. They have great fans.
http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209081661
AMES, Iowa – The “sold out” sign has been hung for 2013 season football tickets at Iowa State.
More than 43,000 football season ticket packages have been sold. The season ticket sellout is unprecedented in Cyclone history.
“We are completely sold out of our season ticket inventory. The only remaining tickets are single-game tickets (except for the Iowa game which sold out late last week) and an end-of-the-year mini-pack from unused inventory of visiting team allotments,” Director of Athletics Jamie Pollard said. “We fully anticipate that our first four home games will all completely sell out and that is unprecedented for our program.”
Sold out student tickets as well.
http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208734380

UConn needs to do the same thing. Get fans and students interested in UConn FB. Get them to come to games and try tog et that attendance up to a respectable 40k at the absolute minimum. ISU does a great job at this even though the FB team gets pretty beat up year after year.

Reaction Score
Read carefully. That was in response to ridiculous comments about Baylor being a C-USA team. RG3 won a Heisman. They won the Big 12 last year.

And then promptly lost their bowl game to a CUSA team.

Reaction Score
Rutgers??? How did they end up in the conversation?

I'm not being a . You just can't seem to handle the truth when I post your attendance numbers.

OK state will never have a game with 20k people. Likely will never have a game with 30k people and that is your average.
Here is out attendance from last year. Notice that UTSA had 40k people at the game, 10k more than your average.
Schedule[edit]
DateTimeOpponent#Rank#SiteTVResultAttendance
August 312:30 PMvs. Mississippi State #13Reliant StadiumHouston, TX (AdvoCare Texas Kickoff)ABC/ESPN2W 21–3 35,874
September 711:00 AMat UTSA #13AlamodomeSan Antonio, TXFS1W 56–35 40,977
September 146:30 PMLamar #12Boone Pickens StadiumStillwater, OKFSSWW 59–3 59,061
September 2811:00 AMat West Virginia#11Mountaineer FieldMorgantown, WVESPNL 21–30 57,280
October 52:30 PMKansas State#21Boone Pickens Stadium • Stillwater, OKABCW 33–29 58,841
October 1911:00 AMTCU#21Boone Pickens Stadium • Stillwater, OKFOXW 24–10 59,638
October 2611:00 AMat Iowa State#19Jack Trice StadiumAmes, IAFSNW 58–27 56,800
November 26:00 PMat #15 Texas Tech#18Jones AT&T StadiumLubbock, TXFOXW 52–34 61,836
November 93:00 PMKansas#15Boone Pickens Stadium • Stillwater, OKFS1W 42–6 58,476
November 162:30 PMat #24 Texas#12Darrell K Royal–Texas Memorial StadiumAustin, TXFOXW 38–13 99,739
November 237:00 PM#3 Baylor#11Boone Pickens Stadium • Stillwater, OKABCW 49–17 60,218
December 711:00 AM#18 Oklahoma#6Boone Pickens Stadium • Stillwater, OK (Bedlam Series)ABCL 24–33 58,520
January 36:30 PMvs. #9 Missouri #13AT&T StadiumArlington, TX (Cotton Bowl Classic)FOXL 31–41 72,690
*Non-conference game.
Dagger-14-plain.png
Homecoming. #Rankings from AP Poll. All times are in Central Time.

OK State is a good football school.I am telling you right here and now that on a cold November day when Iowa State's bowl hopes were in the balance, maybe 10k showed up for a UConn game. I don't know what they reported, but that's how many were there.

All I know is you are cherrypicking numbers here, first of all looking at UConn's worst year ever, but then by not looking at fannies in the seats.

Reaction Score
Do you guys report tickets sold or tickets scanned? Can you answer that please? I am not asking to be a . I'm asking because I don't know.
I don't know. My gut tells me it's probably tickets sold but I dont' really know for sure. There seems to be a wide variety of ways to count attendance. The one I like is UNC. They look over the stadium and guess.

Reaction Score
It really is true that Baylor was losing a lot and left for dead. They were saved. UConn was not. For all sorts of reasons having little to do with the intensity of the fans, with facilities, with market, with number of fans, with success in either football or basketball. None of these were factors.

Reaction Score
And then promptly lost their bowl game to a CUSA team.
At least they made it to a bowl. Might not want to throw stones from a glass house. Why do you guys take so much pride in insulting other schools like ISU and Baylor? Seems immature to me. All you are doing is embarrassing yourself.

Reaction Score
It really is true that Baylor was losing a lot and left for dead. They were saved. UConn was not. For all sorts of reasons having little to do with the intensity of the fans, with facilities, with market, with number of fans, with success in either football or basketball. None of these were factors.
Baylor has a Billionaire alumni who has donated more than T-boone has to OSU. They dont talk about it much but it was a big deal for the program. The new stadium is top of the line.

Those are all factors. Baylor has trouble getting fans to show up, heck they have better attendance for WBB than mens BB. Part of being a small private bible school.

Reaction Score
At least they made it to a bowl. Might not want to throw stones from a glass house. Why do you guys take so much pride in insulting other schools like ISU and Baylor? Seems immature to me. All you are doing is embarrassing yourself.

Probably because UConn beat Baylor twice with Griffin and beat ISU too. And UConn has been to bowls before. And because you came here on our board lecturing us about the supposed superiority of your backyard brethren, who have both lost to us, and have had their star Heisman QB say that the gameday atmosphere at UConn is second to none.

Which is the exact opposite of what you came here saying.

So, for these reasons, that's why we're responding to you in this fashion.

Reaction Score
Baylor has a Billionaire alumni who has donated more than T-boone has to OSU. They dont talk about it much but it was a big deal for the program. The new stadium is top of the line.

Those are all factors. Baylor has trouble getting fans to show up, heck they have better attendance for WBB than mens BB. Part of being a small private bible school.

When the B12 breaks up, Baylor will not find a boat. As for T-Boone, it's great he gave you $180 million, but when he dumped it into his hedge fund and it went belly-up, the school was in the dock for that money, until a few years later when he made good. In the meantime, the school lost a massive DOD research grant to build a new research facility because it had maxed out its credit card and couldn't find the financing to build. You guys are really impressed with all these donations, but much of the time they are phantom donations, like that TA&M link you provided that somehow counted research grants and endowment interest as "donations."

Reaction Score
OK State is a good football school.I am telling you right here and now that on a cold November day when Iowa State's bowl hopes were in the balance, maybe 10k showed up for a UConn game. I don't know what they reported, but that's how many were there.

All I know is you are cherrypicking numbers here, first of all looking at UConn's worst year ever, but then by not looking at fannies in the seats.
I am using last years numbers, nothing cherry picking about it. Going back to 2010 would be cherry picking. You only averaged 34 the year before so it 's not like last year was really that much worse. ISU only won 2 games last year, and they still had good attendance. Do they make excuses about a bad season, nope.

I have no idea about 10k people at a game. What year are you talking about, we can look it up? I know on Thursday night back in 2011 the stadium was packed when they took OSU out of the NC picture with a stunning win. By far the best attendance for a Thursday game that I can remember.

Reaction Score
Okielite,

When you highlight the recent advancements of Baylor and Iowa State -- and you have not addressed TCU, but they fit, as well -- it shows one how much power conference affiliation (and the associated money) affects both on-field performance and off-field perception. While I have never thought of Iowa State as C-USA, I have absolutely thought of Baylor and TCU as C-USA; though Big 8/ Big XII / "Big Time" for decades, for most of that history Iowa State was an also-ran athletically.

My point is, don't reverse the cart and the horse when opining (paraphrasing) that "the power conference-affiliation of ISU/BU(/TCU) is due their success"; rather, it is their recent success (because it has not been long-term success) that is due to their power conference-affiliation.

Reaction Score
Probably because UConn beat Baylor twice with Griffin and beat ISU too. And UConn has been to bowls before. And because you came here on our board lecturing us about the supposed superiority of your backyard brethren, who have both lost to us, and have had their star Heisman QB say that the gameday atmosphere at UConn is second to none.

Which is the exact opposite of what you came here saying.

So, for these reasons, that's why we're responding to you in this fashion.

I'm trying to inform you so you dont' make fools of yourself running around acting like ISU and Baylor are C-USA teams like you guys said. That is ridiculous. They are both great schools and have great fans, especially ISU. No reason for you to insult them like you are. I never insulted UConn or said they belong in the C-USA, I said you belong in a power conference. I compliment your school and you insult Big 12 schools with all kinds of misinformation and lies. . Why?

I have a hard time believing a school who draws 30k for games and in some cases 20k has the best atmosphere in the country. Might have been when the fans were showing up a few years back, as RG3 said. Doubt it's even top 25 now. Ever been to OU/TX, OU/Nebraska, FSU/Clemson, Iron bowl, Tenn, Lincoln, PSU, Wisconsin, etc.. those are great game day atmospheres. 80k people screaming, stadium packed, opposing fans showing up in huge numbers, etc... That is what CFB is about.

Reaction Score
Okielite,

When you highlight the recent advancements of Baylor and Iowa State -- and you have not addressed TCU, but they fit, as well -- it shows one how much power conference affiliation (and the associated money) affects both on-field performance and off-field perception. While I have never thought of Iowa State as C-USA, I have absolutely thought of Baylor and TCU as C-USA; though Big 8/ Big XII / "Big Time" for decades, for most of that history Iowa State was an also-ran athletically.

My point is, don't reverse the cart and the horse when opining (paraphrasing) that "the power conference-affiliation of ISU/BU(/TCU) is due their success"; rather, it is their recent success (because it has not been long-term success) that is due to their power conference-affiliation.
Conference affiliation has helped Baylor and TCU, no doubt. Not many bible schools in power conferences. They were both lucky to get in the conference. There was some political reason Baylor got in back in the day. could have just as easily been Houston. TCU was a dominant team in the MW, and a mediocre team in the Big 12. The difficulty in playing a power conference schedule has been a learning curve for a team used to winning every game. TCU BB is absolutely terrible. Their AD is very much a 1 trick pony but they are working on it.

ISU is a large state school that is AAU. They really have not had much success, even recently. Their fans just show up for some reason no matter how bad the team is. True dedication.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I dont' even know what to say to your post other than I think you have an inflated view of yourself and dont' realize how far behind you are with your football program. Unfortunately FB is what matters in realignment. Basketball is an afterthought and quite frankly makes the NCAA money but leaves very little for the conferences and schools compared to FB. If BB was what mattered UConn would already be in a power conference.

I am listening and have learned quite a bit about your program. But you still have an inflated view of yourself that prevents you from being realistic about things.

Your insults to me are quite funny. You have no clue what big time football is like. More people show up for some high school games in Texas and Oklahoma than UConn games, that is a fact.

How many NC's does UConn have?

Over the last decade, since UCONN joined the BE, who has won more head to head - UCONN or UofL, UCONN or Syracuse, UCONN or Pitt?

sdhusky

Reaction Score
I'm trying to inform you so you dont' make fools of yourself running around acting like ISU and Baylor are C-USA teams like you guys said. That is ridiculous. They are both great schools and have great fans, especially ISU. No reason for you to insult them like you are. I never insulted UConn or said they belong in the C-USA, I said you belong in a power conference. I compliment your school and you insult Big 12 schools with all kinds of misinformation and lies. . Why?

I have a hard time believing a school who draws 30k for games and in some cases 20k has the best atmosphere in the country. Might have been when the fans were showing up a few years back, as RG3 said. Doubt it's even top 25 now. Ever been to OU/TX, OU/Nebraska, FSU/Clemson, Iron bowl, Tenn, Lincoln, PSU, Wisconsin, etc.. those are great game day atmospheres. 80k people screaming, stadium packed, opposing fans showing up in huge numbers, etc... That is what CFB is about.

UCONN has as many bowls wins in its first decade as Iowa St does in 100 years.

We went into Iowa St with a Div II recruited team and won 39-20

Jim Calhoun has taken dumps with more basketball success than Iowa St has all time.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Okay, we're getting nowhere in digesting the whole tickets sold vs. scanned tickets at the gate thing. If we can't get past that point, there is no use in talking about attendance figures.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
I guess the difference is that UCONN folks aren't on B12 boards lecturing B12 fans while you are here, on our board, lecturing us.

How did RGIII do against UCONN?

Lost twice and said UCONN was the hardest hitting team he ever faced?

Yes.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I've noticed that every visitor from another school becomes instantly offended when we don't trip all over ourselves in admiration of their rooting interest.

So, Mr. Oklahoma or Oklahoma State or Virginia or Florida State or West Virginia or God knows whatever backwater school you're from, thank you so much for visiting us.

Your school is remarkable. The atmosphere at (your stadium) is just freaking electric!

It's like the Cowboys and the Giants combined and all of their fans squeezed into the stands! I haven't seen that much excitement since (the moon landing, VE Day, whatever)! You are clearly a representative of Big Time Football!

Thank you so much for visiting us. We are better fans for having known you!

Before you got here, the typical attendance at a UConn sporting event consisted of three fans, a wooden spoon and stray dog.

Now that we've had a taste of Big Time Football and have had a chance to bask in the reflected glory of (your school), we're gonna change! If UConn sells football tickets next year, we're gonna buy some! And we'll practice this clapping and cheering thing that some people say works so well. You complete us, Mr. Big Time Football Fan.

Now, come on in for a hug!

Love,

UConn

Reaction Score
Since 2000? In 2000 we were losing football games to D1AA. UConn played Miami, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech at a glorified high school field that doesn't even exist anymore! BC twice.

Why not try what happened once UConn ramped up and joined the BE. Demolished Virginia 45-10. Beat Duke, Wake Forest, Maryland, winning records against the ex-BE Syracuse, Pitt and Louisville. Clearly Uconn could hold its own. Nip and tuck games against NC State and UNC too. FSU, Clemson and Miami present tough games, but other than that, no one would be surprised to see UConn beat any of the teams in the ACC.

The ACC made a very bad decision when it left out UConn. it ed up.

UConn did beat bad ACC teams with sub .500 records....that is the actual record. Not saying that UConn can not beat an ACC team with a winning record...it would be a first.

No sense beating this back and forth....some of us thought that Louisville had more football potential. Could be wrong, could be right....but that is why the decision was made.

See ya in a week or so....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When the B12 breaks up, Baylor will not find a boat. As for T-Boone, it's great he gave you $180 million, but when he dumped it into his hedge fund and it went belly-up, the school was in the dock for that money, until a few years later when he made good. In the meantime, the school lost a massive DOD research grant to build a new research facility because it had maxed out its credit card and couldn't find the financing to build. You guys are really impressed with all these donations, but much of the time they are phantom donations, like that TA&M link you provided that somehow counted research grants and endowment interest as "donations."

If you think that is true you really need to do some research. Boone has donated a whole lot more than that. aTm had about 250 million in donations just for the new stadium. donations rode hundreds of millions of dollars when JF won a Heisman, even surpassing UT. If you don't believe there are wealthy people who donate huge sums of money to AD's you are naive.

Reaction Score
Okielite,

(No argument about the superiority of Texas and Texas A&M, some argument about the "superiority" of Texas Tech).

Question: From historical perspective, what differentiates Baylor (Big XII charter member) and TCU (Big XII 2012) from SMU (first-year AAC from C-USA), Houston (first-year AAC from C-USA), and Rice (still C-USA)?

Answer: Ann Richards. Without her, they are C-USA.

Now, as to what differentiates TCU from the latter three, I guess it is just their football success of early 2000s, but that seems to be it. Not as much football success in Big XII, but their financial status (and "stability" with Big XII) enabled the stadium upgrades. Otherwise they are C-USA/MWC/AAC (as their history reflects).

caw

Reaction Score
Okay, we're getting nowhere in digesting the whole tickets sold vs. scanned tickets at the gate thing. If we can't get past that point, there is no use in talking about attendance figures.

I thought I was the only one that noticed that he didn't answer the question. It's a big difference.

Reaction Score
Grow up and stop getting your feeling hurt.
How did RGIII do against UCONN?

Lost twice and said UCONN was the hardest hitting team he ever faced?

Yes.

Congrats. You guys seem to take much pride in beating Baylor for some reason.

Reaction Score
I am using last years numbers, nothing cherry picking about it. Going back to 2010 would be cherry picking. You only averaged 34 the year before so it 's not like last year was really that much worse. ISU only won 2 games last year, and they still had good attendance. Do they make excuses about a bad season, nope.

I have no idea about 10k people at a game. What year are you talking about, we can look it up? I know on Thursday night back in 2011 the stadium was packed when they took OSU out of the NC picture with a stunning win. By far the best attendance for a Thursday game that I can remember.

The Iowa State UConn game was a decade ago. There was no one in the stands. It was cold. UConn blew them out. Seneca Wallace was the QB. They were in line for a bowl. A good college atmosphere? No. Just like you're cherrypicking UConn dates, I'm looking at the whole picture. Maybe talk to Robert Griffin about what he thinks of UConn football fans, since he seems to think they stack up quite well with B12 fans. And it also goes to show you what happens when Baylor comes to town as opposed to, say, Tulsa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom