At UConn, Kenya Hunter Sees Himself As A Fit For Dan Hurley's Culture | Page 2 | The Boneyard

At UConn, Kenya Hunter Sees Himself As A Fit For Dan Hurley's Culture

Reaction Score
Just ask you!
Oh, people tell me. People PM me all the time and say "You know what JMick? You're the most reasonable person here. Your logic is impeccable" I try not to flaunt it but I have to agree with them. If you need to use logic and you want a rational and reasonable point of view, just ask me. I'll tell you. The people love it. Believe me.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I have the best takes. The very best. Not too hot, not too cold, the best.

That would be me when you and Auggie both accuse me of stanning for the other guy within minutes of each other.

Reaction Score
Oh, people tell me. People PM me all the time and say "You know what JMick? You're the most reasonable person here. Your logic is impeccable" I try not to flaunt it but I have to agree with them. If you need to use logic and you want a rational and reasonable point of view, just ask me. I'll tell you. The people love it. Believe me.
Very humorous. Nice job imitating "The Donald".

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Yeah, whatever he's smoking ain't working. He's more bitter and obsessed now than he was when when KO was our coach.

My standards have remained the same; as they say, you can look it up.
Fwiw, after my giant Unignore fest, I'm seeing continued disagreement more so than intransigence. I expect it to continue until the legal/financial dispute is settled, and I can imagine that there will be different levels of concern when things aren't perfect in the future, but not much would be lost if everybody dialed back on assumptions made about those with a recent history of seeing things differently.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Fwiw, after my giant Unignore fest, I'm seeing continued disagreement more so than intransigence. I expect it to continue until the legal/financial dispute is settled, and I can imagine that there will be different levels of concern when things aren't perfect in the future, but not much would be lost if everybody dialed back on assumptions made about those with a recent history of seeing things differently.
Thanks. I am increasingly seeing it as a parody account.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hmm, I didn't know that you can PM yourself.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Bold. I'd love it. Could happen. But not an expectation.
Not that bold. A reasonable assertion was made by many this past season that four more victories were in play. That would have resulted in an 18-12 season.

Next year the OOC schedule is easier and the conference is weaker. Larrier is the only major change and I feel Sid will more than make up the difference. Anything we get out of Gilbert is a bonus and the three incoming players are likely to be an upgrade over last season’s postgrads albeit a small upgrade.

Returning players have one more year under their belt.

If Hurley is as good as billed 24 wins is reasonable.

The only thing that would cause me to reduce that number would be if CV doesn’t return. His experience playing alongside Jalen is important for team continuity.

Reaction Score
Not that bold. A reasonable assertion was made by many this past season that four more victories were in play. That would have resulted in an 18-12 season.

Next year the OOC schedule is easier and the conference is weaker. TL is the only major change and I feel Sid will more than make up the difference. Anything we get out of Gilbert is a bonus and the three incoming players are likely to be an upgrade over last season’s postgrads albeit a small upgrade.

The only thing that would cause me to reduce that number would be if CV doesn’t return. His experience playing alongside Jalen is important for team continuity.
50% more wins is not reasonable by any metric

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Next year the OOC schedule is easier and the conference is weaker. TL is the only major change and I feel Sid will more than make up the difference. Anything we get out of Gilbert is a bonus and the three incoming players are likely to be an upgrade over last season’s postgrads albeit a small upgrade.

We'll, I won't claim that your labeling it as an expectation is the most over the top thing I've read here in years, I'll simply withhold from claiming as my expectation.
Certainly, I'd like it, and your expression is not implausible.

Reaction Score
So just a 9 to 13 win improvement for a new coach with the same team as last year. Wow, you thought Ollie sucked even more than I did.
It's not the same team. IF Gilbert is back, it's a very different team. And the 2 new grad transfers (I think) are better than the 2 departing ones.

I'm not defending his win total, i don't know what to expect, but I don't think it's fair to call it the "same team".

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

The only thing that would cause me to reduce that number would be if CV doesn’t return. His experience playing alongside Jalen is important for team continuity.[/QUOTE

The trolling is getting old and about as annoying as the people you are trolling were.

Please stop

Reaction Score
UConn won 14 games this past season. 14. I think winning 20 or more games next season would represent significant improvement and signal that UConn is well on its way to becoming relevant again on a national level. The team was basically dysfunctional the past two seasons. Expectations should be tempered a bit for the first 2 years.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
UConn won 14 games this past season. 14. I think winning 20 or more games next season would represent significant improvement and signal that UConn is well on its way to becoming relevant again on a national level. The team was basically dysfunctional the past two seasons. Expectations should be tempered a bit for the first 2 years.

Careful, you'll be labeled a Hurly apologist in no time. Deep tourney run or bust brah.

Reaction Score
It's not the same team. IF Gilbert is back, it's a very different team. And the 2 new grad transfers (I think) are better than the 2 departing ones.

I'm not defending his win total, i don't know what to expect, but I don't think it's fair to call it the "same team".

There was a lot of hand-wringing by KO supporters when TL was injured and missed a little bit of time this season. Are you saying that a freshman transfer that has not played a minute of college ball and has not played competitively in a year is a suitable replacement for TL?

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Careful, you'll be labeled a Hurly apologist in no time. Deep tourney run or bust brah.
Well, those exact sentiments last season would have had the poster labeled as an Ollie apologista. I guess I'm just curious why the standards have changed on that end.

No one has seriously said deep tourney run or bust. Most people have said they expect to make the tournament, period.

IIRC I predicted 18 wins for us in the AAC at the beginning of last season in one of the polls someone posted here. Barring injury, I thought that was a reasonable expectation, which, combined with our OOC record, likely would have translated to an NCAA appearance. When Gilbert went down, that expectation ended. And when the team dropped those turds vs. Arkansas and Auburn and Ollie had no answers, my support for Ollie ended.

But now we reasonably expect a fully healthy Gilbert (or at least I do), at least by December. And Sid Wilson in place of Larrier, which I hope to at least be an upgrade in terms of energy and motor. And we have some front court players with a season under their belts and coach who is motivated and has a plan for their use and improvement; and I don't believe we lost anyone who hasn't been replaced by at least an equal player, if not better.

So I guess I'm wondering why some of you guys are so hesitant to hold Hurley to at least the same standards. Or why it is so offensive to you that I and many others do so.

To be clear: I love the hire and I believed it was time for Ollie to go. I just don't think anyone is doing any favors for the program to set the bar so low when it would not have been acceptable to them if Ollie had merely returned with the same players.

Reaction Score

I am not too concerned about a "label". Hurley inherited a dysfunctional team. I think its only fair to give him 2 to 3 years to have things back at a level where NCAA tourney appearances are the norm. UConn only played in 3 postseason games over the past 4 seasons and that includes the NIT. That's a bigger hole to dig out of than many here would care to admit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom