At UConn, Kenya Hunter Sees Himself As A Fit For Dan Hurley's Culture | Page 5 | The Boneyard

At UConn, Kenya Hunter Sees Himself As A Fit For Dan Hurley's Culture

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Ok, we started with one season, and then two; we now have a bid to allow three seasons before a Hurley-coached Husky team makes the NCAAs. Do I hear four? Anyone? Anyone?
Bueller?

Also, I keep imagining Kenya Hunter getting curious about a thread with his name in the Title, and wondering what he's wandered into.

Reaction Score
Just think of the dance you’ll have on KO’s corpse if my projection happens and how much fun you’ll have breaking my stones if I’m wrong.
That's not how it works. The jury is out on Ollie, he failed at his job and got canned. No dancing on his grave, all it did was hurt the program.

I will be exstatic if you're right but if you're wrong and you say Hurley didn't live up to expectations I will most likely break your stones.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
There was a year where Tulsa and Temple got in with 20 and 21 wins.

I should have clarified with the context that the AAC will be really weak this year, and hence 20 wins in that conference likely won't sniff the dance.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
We would have gotten in the tourny in 2015-2016 with 20-21 wins had Jalen's 70 footer not gone in.

Not next year tho imo. AAC just not strong.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Because I’m bored. Mets got swept, there’s no game on, and it’s like skeet shooting fish in a barrel (TM) with the ridiculousness being thrown around here trying to protect a guy from expectations that you and I both know are lower than his own.

This is exactly where I’m at. I think it’s reasonable next year. If we come close and miss, okay. But it should be the expectation.

At the end of the day, I think most of us are within two or three wins of each other, so I don’t understand the fuss.

Maybe it's your terminology. Expectation implies that not reaching it is a failure. Missing earnings expectations so to speak. I don't think not making the tournament next year is an indictment on anybody.

I hope for the tournament next year. But I don't expect it to happen. Would love to be wrong, but there's something like 7-10 'ifs' that have to break right for it to happen.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Word is he lived in the gym and really improved his outside shot. Hurley recruited him at URI and has a good relationship with his father.

That is the best news I've heard about the kid in a while. Put 15lbs of muscle on him and he'll be a force.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I love Ollie
I hate Ollie
Repeat
Repeat
Repeat

8893 and fluedy are trolling you guys like a fiddle. I don't think two of my favorite posters have suddenly become delusional.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Careful, you'll be labeled a Hurly apologist in no time. Deep tourney run or bust brah.
If you look at his pattern at Wagner and URI, 2018-2019 is not going be a great season for us. I'd hope that we have better existing pieces than they did though.

The good news is that it didn't take long for him to get Wagner and URI to improve. By the second year they looked much better.

CL82

Reaction Score
8893 the expectation is for Hurley to make the NCAA tournament next year.

With Jalen Adams, Vital, Polley, Sid the Kid, Gilbert, Carlton, that’s enough to make the tournament. Not to mention that the AAC will be down next year.

Jalen Adams return really elevates expectations for Hurley and UCONN nation.
Expectation? Too much word. Making the NCAA Tourny in his first season as head coach after missing it the prior two prior season and inheriting a team that looked disorganized and unmotivated would a great first season for Hurley IMO.

Reaction Score
Expectation? Too much word. Making the NCAA Tourny in his first season as head coach after missing it the prior two prior season and inheriting a team that looked disorganized and unmotivated would a great first season for Hurley IMO.

That’s my expectation for him. Looking at whose returning and the rest of the conference then yes expectations are a lot higher than if Jalen had left.

Hurley doesn’t have some mega rebuild at UCONN like he did at Wagner or URI. He has enough players to compete at a high level from day 1.

CL82

Reaction Score
That’s my expectation for him. Looking at whose returning and the rest of the conference then yes expectations are a lot higher than if Jalen had left.

Hurley doesn’t have some mega rebuild at UCONN like he did at Wagner or URI. He has enough players to compete at a high level from day 1.
Kind of agree, but two years of losing seasons is two years of losing seasons. I’m dampening my expectations just a little bit.

Reaction Score
50% more wins is not reasonable by any metric

Why not? The lower the win total the easier a high % increase is. I'll give you some Jim Calhoun stats on year over year win increases (including Northeastern) and this is just one coach:

1979 to 80 13-13 to 19-8 46%
1983 to 84 13-15 to 27-5 108%
1987 to 88 9-19 to 20-14 122%
1993 to 94 15-13 to 29-5 93%
1997 to 98 18-15 to 32-5 78%
2010 to 11 18-16 to 32-9 78%

So one coach did it (or close to it and in come cases 100% more wins) 6 times at 2 different schools. Going up 50% in wins is hardly unreasonable when given the low previous year win base requires only 7 more wins to get increase to 50%. Jim was so good he even did it following 18 win seasons twice, the last time in the Kemba year.

Want to really know how easy/often a 50% increase happens, even KEVIN OLLIE did it off of a 20 win season:

2013 to 14 20-10 to 32-8 60%

And we all know how bad a coach Kevin Ollie was.

Reaction Score
I think too many of you are getting caught up in a win total as the barometer for success.

I want to see a team that is well prepared, fights to the final buzzer, that runs good sets, plays tough defense and competes to its utmost ability. If they do that, wins will follow and we can get excited for 19-20 and beyond. Judging Dan Hurley on number of wins this season is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
I think too many of you are getting caught up in a win total as the barometer for success.

I want to see a team that is well prepared, fights to the final buzzer, that runs good sets, plays tough defense and competes to its utmost ability. If they do that, wins will follow and we can get excited for 19-20 and beyond. Judging Dan Hurley on number of wins this season is ridiculous.

Agreed. Real skills progress and a clear team identity to continue to build will be enough for me. I don't care if ucmbb wins as long as there's a TEAM to root for. Last year felt like rooting for certain individuals when they felt like trying once in a while

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I always notice how great our talent is in the off-season. It is amazing how it has disappeared when they start playing games. I realize this year will be different but we will still have no front court worth bragging about nor a top shooter.
I think people should cool their jets about games won and look for better basketball

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I always notice how great our talent is in the off-season. It is amazing how it has disappeared when they start playing games. I realize this year will be different but we will still have no front court worth bragging about nor a top shooter.
I think people should cool their jets about games won and look for better basketball

I've been beating that drum. Hurley ain't no miracle worker. I'll be happy for them to play hard, win more than they lose, and maybe a far outside shot at a tournament birth.

There's a ton of 'ifs'. And if they all break UCONN's way, they could be good. But that's a big gamble if you're a betting man.

Reaction Score
I think as a whole, Sid + Polley will be better than Larrier + Polley. I can't commit to Wilson being outright better than Larrier, though.
Sid would have to become a scorer. We have a bunch of points to make up with TL leaving but +/- is a different story. TL's turnovers killed a lot of rallies.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Sid would have to become a scorer. We have a bunch of points to make up with TL leaving but +/- is a different story. TL's turnovers killed a lot of rallies.

I thought that is exactly what he is.

Reaction Score
I thought that is exactly what he is.
I don't know what he is because I haven't seem him much but he looks more like a slasher than a shooter on his tapes. It would be great if Sid could score some from the outside. If he can it changes the entire dynamics of this team even to the point of making the tournament.

Reaction Score
I don't know what he is because I haven't seem him much but he looks more like a slasher than a shooter on his tapes. It would be great if Sid could score some from the outside. If he can it changes the entire dynamics of this team even to the point of making the tournament.

If Sid can get 7-8 points a game while rebounding a little, guarding people in the other end and not turning it over too much he will have a much greater impact than TLs points.

If Christian comes back and some of the young kids put in the summer work I am sure he’s asked them to, this team should be able to compete at a level to get to 20 wins or so.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
If Sid can get 7-8 points a game while rebounding a little, guarding people in the other end and not turning it over too much he will have a much greater impact than TLs points.

If Christian comes back and done of the young kids put in the summer work I am sure he’s asked them to this team should be able to compete at a level to get to 20 wins or so.
Terry's stats last year were 13.9 points 0.9 assists 2.4 turnovers in 34 minutes. Yes we have to find those points, but it isn't like Terry was super productive. I wish him well but I'm not that worried about replacing him.

Reaction Score

UConn has some talent and this team will be less flawed than last year. If AG isn't healthy and Sid isn't quite the star many think he will be then we could look a lot like last years team.
We'll win more games just based upon our schedule but there are a lot of "ifs". The "ifs" could mean 4 or 5 wins. It depends upon which players Hurley is able to put on the court and the improvement of returning players. No big secret.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom