At UConn, Kenya Hunter Sees Himself As A Fit For Dan Hurley's Culture | Page 4 | The Boneyard

At UConn, Kenya Hunter Sees Himself As A Fit For Dan Hurley's Culture

Reaction Score
How the hell are they getting in with 20-21 wins? I just don't see that. Unless they win the AACT
We would have gotten in the tourny in 2015-2016 with 20-21 wins had Jalen's 70 footer not gone in.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
If i misinterpreted your post, I apologize. Seems like you were implying firing Ollie (and/or hiring Hurley) was a mistake if Hurley doesn't have us back in the NCAAs in years 1 and/or 2.

I don't know what the schedule or the roster will look like in three years (nobody does) but barring some major injuries (God forbid) or a bunch of transfers, I think it's reasonable to expect us to be in. In three years, Hurley's true first class of recruits will only be sophomores, and the underclassmen on this team have been underwhelming so far. We "could" have 5 seniors on that team, and with improved recruiting, yes we should make the tourney. But we don't know that they'll all be here in 3 years.

He'll really have to develop and recruit, but I think he's up to the task. I wouldn't call him a total failure if we're competitive and clearly improving. Gun to my head, I think it's fair to expect us to be in the NCAAs in 3 years. But I don't think he's a "failure" if we're not. There are too many variables. For example, if we don't make the NCAA, but make the NIT end up in the final four (or better) with a bunch of freshman and sophomores as the core of the team, then I think we'd have plenty of reason for optimism.
This coming year not making the tournament would not be a failure but he's got pieces to potentially get us there. Next year is a total crap shoot and can't be the defining moment. But if he doesn't at least get us in and maybe through the first weekend in his third year, I think you can start raising some flags.

Reaction Score
If we're not in the tournament in 3 years he's definitely failing. If we see improvement this year and miss out that's okay but he will be expected to make it going forward. It shouldn't be a long rebuild. We're still by far the biggest name in the conference, he is a very good coach, and he's hired a really good staff.
His first class will be sophomores in year three.

We'll see which freshmen leave, which ones stay, and how much they develop, . That will matter tremendously.

Reaction Score
This coming year not making the tournament would not be a failure but he's got pieces to potentially get us there. Next year is a total crap shoot and can't be the defining moment. But if he doesn't at least get us in and maybe through the first weekend in his third year, I think you can start raising some flags.
We have 5 sophomores next year. Call me skeptical that they all stay.

If they do, I agree. If 3 of them leave, and Gilbert can never turn into the player he was projected to be, then my expectations shift.

Like I said, looking at what he have now, and the way I expect him to recruit. I think it's a reasonable expectation. But things change.

Reaction Score
His first class will be sophomores in year three.

We'll see which freshmen leave, which ones stay, and how much they develop, . That will matter tremendously.
There will be major problems if we don't make a single tournament in 3 years. I don't see any way that happens.

Reaction Score
Ok, we started with one season, and then two; we now have a bid to allow three seasons before a Hurley-coached Husky team makes the NCAAs. Do I hear four? Anyone? Anyone?

8893 the expectation is for Hurley to make the NCAA tournament next year.

With Jalen Adams, Vital, Polley, Sid the Kid, Gilbert, Carlton, that’s enough to make the tournament. Not to mention that the AAC will be down next year.

Jalen Adams return really elevates expectations for Hurley and UCONN nation.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Why are you trolling like this?

Because I’m bored. Mets got swept, there’s no game on, and it’s like skeet shooting fish in a barrel (TM) with the ridiculousness being thrown around here trying to protect a guy from expectations that you and I both know are lower than his own.

If we're not in the tournament in 3 years he's definitely failing. If we see improvement this year and miss out that's okay but he will be expected to make it going forward. It shouldn't be a long rebuild. We're still by far the biggest name in the conference, he is a very good coach, and he's hired a really good staff.

This is exactly where I’m at. I think it’s reasonable next year. If we come close and miss, okay. But it should be the expectation.

At the end of the day, I think most of us are within two or three wins of each other, so I don’t understand the fuss.

Reaction Score
We have 5 sophomores next year. Call me skeptical that they all stay.

If they do, I agree. If 3 of them leave, and Gilbert can never turn into the player he was projected to be, then my expectations shift.

Like I said, looking at what he have now, and the way I expect him to recruit. I think it's a reasonable expectation. But things change.
In all honesty Hurley wouldn't mind some defections. I know he isn't too keen on the talent outside of Jalen and Alterique, he knows he can develop some other players but he wants to seriously upgrade the talent. Luckily he has a lot of scolarships to bring in talent in 2019.

Reaction Score
I would be underwhelmed if we don’t win 20 and look like an organized, well coached doing it. That is my expectation for next year.

Reaction Score
Year 1. If Gilbert is healthy, I expect us to squeak into the tournament. The upside is higher if one of the sophomores to be or Wilson pops.

Year 2 could be a step back. Losing Adams is a killer and while I expect a very good recruiting class, guys in the 50-100 range aren't always immediate impact (something to keep in mind with our current class - Sid is the consensus #89 recruit. Look at the track record of guys in that range.)

Year 3 should be upper echelon AAC and a solid tournament time. I expect a very good class with 4 guys in the 50-100ish range. By year 2, they should be legit impact players.

Year 4. We should be Cincinnati from here on out, without the huge March failures. Hopefully Gilbert is finishing up a legendary UCONN career, and probably on his way to a Doctorate.

Reaction Score
In all honesty Hurley wouldn't mind some defections. I know he isn't too keen on the talent outside of Jalen and Alterique, he knows he can develop some other players but he wants to seriously upgrade the talent. Luckily he has a lot of scolarships to bring in talent in 2019.
That's kind of my point. If the roster is overhauled after next year (I think we should be in the tourney next year), then years two and three will be a core of freshmen and sophomores. The expectations get reset for the next year or two. That said, we desperately need some stability. I know the number transfers is increasing everywhere, but we can't keep going with the number of defections (in addition to the occasional decommitment) that we've had.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
In all honesty Hurley wouldn't mind some defections. I know he isn't too keen on the talent outside of Jalen and Alterique
How about Sid? Should I not expect an upgrade over TL?

Reaction Score
I think as a whole, Sid + Polley will be better than Larrier + Polley. I can't commit to Wilson being outright better than Larrier, though.

Reaction Score
I don't understand this approach. At the risk of being captain obvious, basketball is a team sport. If we have a healthy Alterique, Jalen, and CV, then Wilson won't feel the pressure that Larrier did. If the bigs develop, and we have an actual scoring threat in the paint, then the perimeter players will be that much more dangerous. If we have more organized, pressing/trapping/better defensive team, then buckets will come more easily and a guy like Wilson will find it easier to make an impact. With better coaching, and less selfishness across the board, the entire team should improve.

Wilson next year may or or may not be "better" than Larrier, but he may or may not have to be. It's not a simple binary plug and play situation.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't understand this approach. At the risk of being captain obvious, basketball is a team sport. If we have a healthy Alterique, Jalen, and CV, then Wilson won't feel the pressure that TL did. If the bigs develop, and we have an actual scoring threat in the paint, then the perimeter players will be that much more dangerous. If we have more organized, pressing/trapping/better defensive team, then buckets will come more easily and a guy like Wilson will find it easier to make an impact. With better coaching, and less selfishness across the board, the entire team should improve.

Wilson next year may or or may not be "better" than TL, but he may or may not have to be. It's not a simple binary plug and play situation.
What?!?

SJ said Hurley wouldn’t mind defections beyond Jalen and Alterique. I wanted to know if Sid was considered expendable and whether I was offbase to think he has more potential than TL.

Reaction Score
What?!?

SJ said Hurley wouldn’t mind defections beyond Jalen and Alterique. I wanted to know if Sid was considered expendable and whether I was offbase to think he has more potential than TL.
Sid has to be a major player the next 2-3 years for us to get where we want to be. I hope he lives up to his ranking and took advantage of his RS year

Reaction Score
What?!?

My point is I don't think it's worth comparing him to TL if you're asking about his future here because I think 2-3 years under Hurley (rather than Ollie) would have made TL a better player.

It's certainly fair to ask if he's in Hurley's plans for the future. I don't see how TL's performance under Ollie has anything to do with that question.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Not trolling. If my expectations aren’t met I won’t be angry with Hurley. It’s a subjective projection.

If others choose to take this projection and hold it against Hurley if he falls short that’s on them.

The blowback is primarily from individuals that I debated in the past. My debates were minimal relative to the position and behavior they presented the past two seasons in this forum. There were probably a hundred negative statements made by each poster to my one post taking them to task for that behavior.

If they think this projection is meant to continue the pro versus anti KO debate they are wrong. If they believe it’s unreasonable that’s their prerogative. I stand by my projection.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
How the hell are they getting in with 20-21 wins? I just don't see that. Unless they win the AACT
And that’s the salient point particularly if the projected strength of the AAC is close to being accurate.

Reaction Score
My (reasonable) expectations:

2018-2019: We may lose a good amount of games, but I expect us to be much more competitive in those losses.

2019-2020: NCAA Tourney

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Why are you trolling like this?
He’s not trolling. He’s made his feelings about KO and Hurley clear in the past. He wanted Hurley to come and KO to go.

Reaction Score
Not trolling. If my expectations aren’t met I won’t be angry with Hurley. It’s a subjective projection.

If others choose to take this projection and hold it against Hurley if he falls short that’s on them.

The blowback is primarily from individuals that I debated in the past. My debates were minimal relative to the position and behavior they presented the past two seasons in this forum. There were probably a hundred negative statements made by each poster to my one post taking them to task for that behavior.

If they think this projection is meant to continue the pro versus anti KO debate they are wrong. If they believe it’s unreasonable that’s their prerogative. I stand by my projection.
I honestly don't remember you posting until right around when we hired Hurley. I remember you from years ago but thought you disappeared. Good having you around and I'm not looking to argue but your win totals just seem high to me for a first year coach with only 1 true proven stud player.

28 wins kind of feels like it would take a miracle worker. Hope you're right.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
My bad, I predicted 15 wins last season and they had 14. So Fleud expects them to have 10-14 more wins than last season. Seems really fair and reasonable.
Just think of the dance you’ll have on KO’s corpse if my projection happens and how much fun you’ll have breaking my stones if I’m wrong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom