At UConn, Kenya Hunter Sees Himself As A Fit For Dan Hurley's Culture | The Boneyard

At UConn, Kenya Hunter Sees Himself As A Fit For Dan Hurley's Culture

Reaction Score
Dom must be doing a series on all the new assistant coaches. Tom Moore next on deck.

“It was crazy, but when I came here on a visit, how coach [Dan Hurley] is still involved on the floor coaching,” Hunter said. “That skill development is a huge upbringing of his, and that’s my background as well. When the kids see you on the court, putting in the sweat, working with those guys, I think they embrace that a little bit more, instead of you just telling them what to do.

“How committed he is to being around the guys constantly, in the weight room, concerned about their classroom success. When you develop a culture like that, that’s the kind of guy I want to be with.”

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
“I want to be a part of a national champion,” he said. “It’s been done here, and it gives me more sense of urgency and competitive fight to be able to do that. … It puts a lot of pressure on you as a coach, but I embrace that. That’s part of the competitive people Coach Hurley hired — we all embrace that.”

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Dom must be doing a series on all the new assistant coaches. Tom Moore next on deck.

“It was crazy, but when I came here on a visit, how coach [Dan Hurley] is still involved on the floor coaching,” Hunter said. “That skill development is a huge upbringing of his, and that’s my background as well. When the kids see you on the court, putting in the sweat, working with those guys, I think they embrace that a little bit more, instead of you just telling them what to do.

“How committed he is to being around the guys constantly, in the weight room, concerned about their classroom success. When you develop a culture like that, that’s the kind of guy I want to be with.”

And people are settling for a twenty win season.

Reaction Score
So after reading this I did a little research on his son. Found a list that had him ranked as the 8th best player in Nebraska for 2019. Not much overall rankings wise on him out there, but if he enrolls at east Catholic we could definitely see what this kid has. Would be great to have a legit walk on. (Saying this because I'm not sure on his skill level and he wouldn't need a scholarship with his dad on the coaching staff I believe?)

Reaction Score
The statements to the press that both Kenya and Kimani have both made are really uplifting; Hurley also has said all the right things. The thing is, is that I believe what they are saying, and more importantly I am quite sure that these coaches all believe very strongly in what they themselves are saying, and what they feel their mission is here at UConn.

I am struck by how genuine and emphatic they all have been. To hear their own recognition of what an excellent opportunity coaching the UConn program is for them as individuals, as professional coaches, with the very legitimate and proven ability of UConn to contend for and even win National Championships, must be inspiring to them.

I rarely reference the former coaching staff, but I don't really recall hearing these things from Killings or Chillious. There may have been some optimism, but not like this.

These guys are dialed in.

Reaction Score
“It was crazy, but when I came here on a visit, how coach [Dan Hurley] is still involved on the floor coaching"

“How committed he is to being around the guys constantly"

honest question here - do other coaches around the country legitimately not put in the most work with the kids? I.e. do most college coaches allow asst coaches to do the individual skill work, or stay out of the development aspect of their players?

Reaction Score
What's he gonna say. "I don't fit the culture but the raise was to much to pass up."

It's a nice article. He is qualified and I wish him the best. But some of this stuff borders on humorous. Let's see how the team performs.

Reaction Score
So after reading this I did a little research on his son. Found a list that had him ranked as the 8th best player in Nebraska for 2019. Not much overall rankings wise on him out there, but if he enrolls at east Catholic we could definitely see what this kid has. Would be great to have a legit walk on. (Saying this because I'm not sure on his skill level and he wouldn't need a scholarship with his dad on the coaching staff I believe?)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The statements to the press that both Kenya and Kimani have both made are really uplifting; Hurley also has said all the right things. The thing is, is that I believe what they are saying, and more importantly I am quite sure that these coaches all believe very strongly in what they themselves are saying, and what they feel their mission is here at UConn.

I am struck by how genuine and emphatic they all have been. To hear their own recognition of what an excellent opportunity coaching the UConn program is for them as individuals, as professional coaches, with the very legitimate and proven ability of UConn to contend for and even win National Championships, must be inspiring to them.

I rarely reference the former coaching staff, but I don't really recall hearing these things from Killings or Chillious. There may have been some optimism, but not like this.

These guys are dialed in.

Good post. I don't say this to disparage the former guys, but this group really is a huge upgrade. I feel like I know more about who they are and what they're about as opposed to the previous group. This is a staff I'd be confident to put up against most schools as far as quality goes.

Reaction Score
I have a friend who once worked at uconn. it is true. a uconn employee children's go foe free. if they decide to live in campus they have to pay that. that's cheep considering what the cost if a college education is these days

Reaction Score
We are transitioning from inspirational words to inspirational actions! We all know that actions speak louder then words.

I can't wait to see what in Stoors for us next season and beyond.

Reaction Score
Hurley"s staff is not fake. kimani and Kenya are professional and are committed to making UCONN great again. I can't wait for November!

Reaction Score
I have a friend who once worked at uconn. it is true. a uconn employee children's go foe free. if they decide to live in campus they have to pay that. that's cheep considering what the cost if a college education is these days

Standard at most places

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
And some peoples standards seem to change with the wind
If this is aimed at me you are wrong.

@8893 and I happen to have a more optimistic attitude than some in this forum. We’re not setting him up to fail as some might suggest. First bad loss or set of losses, should that happen, we know which posters will be all over Hurley. I won’t be one of them.

Nor does this have to be about a pro vs. anti KO position. I’m genuinely thrilled the current coaching staff is this invested with the players. It improves the chances for success.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If this is aimed at me you are wrong.

@8893 and I happen to have a more optimistic attitude than some in this forum. We’re not setting him up to fail as some might suggest. First bad loss or set of losses, should that happen, we know which posters will be all over Hurley. I won’t be one of them.

Nor does this have to be about a pro vs. anti KO position. I’m genuinely thrilled the current coaching staff is this invested with the players. It improves the chances for success.
Yeah, whatever he's smoking ain't working. He's more bitter and obsessed now than he was when when KO was our coach.

My standards have remained the same; as they say, you can look it up.

Reaction Score
Yeah, whatever he's smoking ain't working. He's more bitter and obsessed now than he was when when KO was our coach.

My standards have remained the same; as they say, you can look it up.
sorry not sorry. the crazies still in the prior staffs fan club deserve to be called out when posting nonsense. you and fleud just happen to get in the middle of it

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
sorry not sorry. the crazies still in the prior staffs fan club deserve to be called out when posting nonsense. you and fleud just happen to get in the middle of it

This is tilting at windmills. I can count number of people still in that club on Bart Simpson’s left hand. Y’all are just still mad that other people aren’t being sufficiently critical.

Reaction Score
This is tilting at windmills. I can count number of people still in that club on Bart Simpson’s left hand. Y’all are just still mad that other people aren’t being sufficiently critical.
I have been called crazy and a Bad Fanfor thinking 20 wins next year is a good season by people who made excuses for 14 and 16 win seasons. You may not enjoy the delivery but I'm one of the most rational people here.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I have been called crazy and a Bad Fanfor thinking 20 wins next year is a good season by people who made excuses for 14 and 16 win seasons. You may not enjoy the delivery but I'm one of the most rational people here.
Just ask you!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278

Top Bottom