Arkansas Scouting Report | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Arkansas Scouting Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And while Sanogo is a problem what about Clingan? Who can rebound or drive over him? Not easy. Then are we making outside shots? 5 players who can do that, time and foul trouble will tell.
I worry about our ability to make outside shots against them. They do an incredibly good job of defending the 3 point line and Hawkins has been as streaky as ever recently. If he has a Marquette BE tourney type game then we're going home.

Reaction Score
I worry about our ability to make outside shots against them. They do an incredibly good job of defending the 3 point line and Hawkins has been as streaky as ever recently. If he has a Marquette BE tourney type game then we're going home.
Well, if they stack the 3 point line then Sanogo goes to work.

Reaction Score
That’s why we may end up letting him get his, and try to make everyone beat us. Davis is 6’4 with a long wingspan, and Walsh is 6’7 with a 7’3 wingspan so they will be different than anyone Hawkins has seen this year.
BTW..How deep is your rotation ? Bench strength?

Reaction Score
Yes. Few inches taller and longer arms.
I’m sure he’s more switchable/versatile, but IIRC the talk on here before the St Mary’s game was that Johnson is one of the best perimeter defenders in the country, so curious as to where, analytically, Davis measures up.

Reaction Score
That’s why we may end up letting him get his, and try to make everyone beat us. Davis is 6’4 with a long wingspan, and Walsh is 6’7 with a 7’3 wingspan so they will be different than anyone Hawkins has seen this year.
That's certainly a strategy. It's a strategy that would almost certainly lead to a very efficient 20+ points and foul trouble for the Arkansas front line. But it's a strategy.

Reaction Score
That's certainly a strategy. It's a strategy that would almost certainly lead to a very efficient 20+ points and foul trouble for the Arkansas front line. But it's a strategy.
We have lots of fouls to give down there. 4 guys in Mitchell’s, Graham and Johnson. However if any of our guards get in foul trouble we will struggle. Only 1 guard in our bench rotation.

Reaction Score
I’m sure he’s more switchable/versatile, but IIRC the talk on here before the St Mary’s game was that Johnson is one of the best perimeter defenders in the country, so curious as to where, analytically, Davis measures up.
I have no clue on analytics honestly. Talking heads did say yesterday he’s the best perimeter defender left in the tournament. But they say a lot of stuff haha. I will say he has a tendency to reach in sometimes and overplay, so quick fouls happen every so often.

Reaction Score
I have no clue on analytics honestly. Talking heads did say yesterday he’s the best perimeter defender left in the tournament. But they say a lot of stuff haha. I will say he has a tendency to reach in sometimes and overplay, so quick fouls happen every so often.
Hawk doesn’t drive much but he is quick. At the same time his handle isn’t great. I assume he’ll look for more 3s, as he usually does. I don’t know if length will bother him a ton though, he has one of the quicker releases i’ve seen. Should be a good game my man!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I have no clue on analytics honestly.
Im starting to like you.

Over heyah we've been over run by

nerds GIF

Reaction Score
Hawk doesn’t drive much but he is quick. At the same time his handle isn’t great. I assume he’ll look for more 3s, as he usually does. I don’t know if length will bother him a ton though, he has one of the quicker releases i’ve seen. Should be a good game my man!
I’m excited! In my late twenties so I didn’t get to experience the 80’s and 90’s, seeing Arkansas back has been so much fun! Finally get to see what my dad was talking about.

Reaction Score
After watching their KS game, I’d be moderately surprised if Hawkins doesn’t get fouled on at least one 3 pt attempt. They overplay close outs and make up for it with athleticism and length, but Hawkins’ quick release has a tendency to draw contact in this situations.

Edit: with their propensity to overplay and slap at the ball on drives, my guess is we see Hurley try to prioritize Hawkins driving the ball too.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I’m excited! In my late twenties so I didn’t get to experience the 80’s and 90’s, seeing Arkansas back has been so much fun! Finally get to see what my dad was talking about.
Sidney Moncrief was special.

By the way, I saw your coach without a shirt. He needs a different last name.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Im starting to like you.

Over heyah we've been over run by

nerds GIF
Let’s see what the numbers have to say:

Muss - NBA pedigree game planner du jor:
took over for a KP end of season 54th ranked team.
He took them to these rankings:

Hurley took over a end of season 179th ranked team:

The KP trends are fairly similar over the last 4 years, with the notable exception that this UConn team, at least on paper, has moved passed an apparent ceiling for the hogs. They don’t play the game on paper though.

Teddy Allen has entered the chat.

that’s why using a 6 game sample set (4 in UConn’s case) to judge a coaches pedigree for game planning might not be the best approach. And I say this to our hot seaters and our new friend @Westhamhog

thus, time will tell.

Reaction Score
Newton is another guard who could go off for 20. He has two triple-doubles this year. Scored 15+ 7x this season. Has 4 20pt games.

Karaban (PF) hasn't scored much in the tournament, but has scored double-digits 19x this year. Scored 15+ 6x.

Alleyne, Calcaterra score 5-10 on a good night.

Jackson has scored double-digits 9x... He's streaky.
I’ve felt that Karabans limited production has been more about the fact that Sanogo hasn’t been doubled too much so far. Most big east teams packed in on Adama which got Karaban open for outside shots and got him the space to make back cuts for easy buckets. Also, a lot of the field goals down the stretch have been from Sanogo/Hawkins which definitely hasn’t been a bad thing.

They’re good but I’m feeling okay here, hoping the staff is going to have Adama hold back his block attempts early and tell AJax to start the game at a reasonable pace so we don’t get into foul trouble.

I think they overplay Hawkins and he ends up drawing plenty of fouls on his jumpers, and if Sanogo can cook close to the way he has we’ll be in a good position to gut out a win

Reaction Score
After watching their KS game, I’d be moderately surprised if Hawkins doesn’t get fouled on at least one 3 pt attempt. They overplay close outs and make up for it with athleticism and length, but Hawkins’ quick release has a tendency to draw contact in this situations.

Edit: with their propensity to overplay and slap at the ball on drives, my guess is we see Hurley try to prioritize Hawkins driving the ball too.
We have fouled several three point shooters. Not in the past month or so but it happened quite often earlier in the season.

Reaction Score
Muss is a former nba coach with three straight sweet 16s, and he’s the best game planner and best at making in game adjustments in the country.
If he is the best game planner, then why would he need to be making in game adjustments? Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom