Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
th (9).jpg

Reaction Score
Davis is the guy I worry about. Hopefully AJ can shut him down

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I’m happy with a S16 this season since it is undeniable progress towards making it back to elite status. But this is a game we should win, we’re more talented, Dan is in the same ballpark as Eric, we’re seeded higher, and Sanogo is playing the best ball of his life. Winning this game officially puts us back on the map, it’ll pay dividends for Dans reputation, and recruits/transfers will take notice. Losing here would be a massive disappointment in context.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Also taking out that classless showboater would make me very happy.

caw

Reaction Score
I will say this, Musselman has been pretty good at attacking weaknesses in opponents. Joey could have a rough game if he gets in. I would imagine they try to get Sanogo isolated on the perimeter, or Karaban. I could see them slipping screens and passing over the hard hedge also.

Reaction Score
Newton is another guard who could go off for 20. He has two triple-doubles this year. Scored 15+ 7x this season. Has 4 20pt games.

Karaban (PF) hasn't scored much in the tournament, but has scored double-digits 19x this year. Scored 15+ 6x.

Alleyne, Calcaterra score 5-10 on a good night.

Jackson has scored double-digits 9x... He's streaky.
Newton is definitely someone we’re worried about given his streakiness and attacking the rim. I’ve heard he’s an FTA guy.

Reaction Score
We’ve only lost twice since we regained our defensive intensity following the skid:

those losses were Marquette and Creighton. Both have big, physical defenders on the perimeter. The key tends to be preventing the ball from getting into Sanogo on the block which is easier said than done.
Think Arkansas will try to let Makhel guard Sanogo 1 on 1, and if that won’t work they’ll adjust to that tactic.

Reaction Score
I’m happy with a S16 this season since it is undeniable progress towards making it back to elite status. But this is a game we should win, we’re more talented, Dan is in the same ballpark as Eric, we’re seeded higher, and Sanogo is playing the best ball of his life. Winning this game officially puts us back on the map, it’ll pay dividends for Dans reputation, and recruits/transfers will take notice. Losing here would be a massive disappointment in context.
Dan Hurley is not in the same ballpark as Muss lol. This Harley’s first second weekend game in his career, right? Muss is a former nba coach with three straight sweet 16s, and he’s the best game planner and best at making in game adjustments in the country. However, he is a defensive coach and lets his talented players go 1 on 1 like in nba. Our offense is not pretty unless several guys are attacking the rim.

Reaction Score
I will say this, Musselman has been pretty good at attacking weaknesses in opponents. Joey could have a rough game if he gets in. I would imagine they try to get Sanogo isolated on the perimeter, or Karaban. I could see them slipping screens and passing over the hard hedge also.
Arkansas fans are very aware of the fact that Musselman rarely loses in March when he has 5+ days of prep. But, I do expect UConn to win by a bucket or two and for this to be a rock fight and foul fest.

Reaction Score
Also, surprised there hasn’t been much talk of Anthony Black over here. He’s battled an ankle injury the past month and a half, but with six days rest I expect him to be as healthy as he’s been in awhile. That kid is an unbelievable player and very capable of going off for 15-20 points.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Also, surprised there hasn’t been much talk of Anthony Black over here. He’s battled an ankle injury the past month and a half, but with six days rest I expect him to be as healthy as he’s been in awhile. That kid is an unbelievable player and very capable of going off for 15-20 points.
I watched that great game you guys had against creighton in Maui. Black impressed the hell out of me.

Reaction Score
Newton is definitely someone we’re worried about given his streakiness and attacking the rim. I’ve heard he’s an FTA guy.

A lot depends on the whistle from night to night. He could go 8/10 from the line, or not get a single attempt. There's no in-between sometimes.

He may struggle with your athleticism. He's more crafty and creative than athletic. Sometimes it feels like he shoots layups from shorter than his actual height... he does not really jump at the rim.

Reaction Score
This time of year you don't flip the script.. Leverage your strengths and exploit your opponent's weaknesses. Control the boards/play strong D and win 50-50 balls/limit your turnovers/make FTs.. Get rock to Adama in the paint. Simple but hard to do.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Dan Hurley is not in the same ballpark as Muss lol. This Harley’s first second weekend game in his career, right? Muss is a former nba coach with three straight sweet 16s, and he’s the best game planner and best at making in game adjustments in the country. However, he is a defensive coach and lets his talented players go 1 on 1 like in nba. Our offense is not pretty unless several guys are attacking the rim.
Easy my friend. You’re doing so well as a houseguest.

Time will tell.

Reaction Score
Sanogo is definitely the best post player we will have faced this year.
He may be the most technically proficient back-to-the-basket big in the country and has added a 3 point shot you have to respect, as well as the ability to drive from the 3 point line if the defender gets a little too eager. He's a totally different animal than anyone you guys have seen this season.

Reaction Score
Clingan changed the game defensively against St Marys and is a top 3 reason why we won. If the perimeter guys can’t get it going like Hawk did, and while Sanogo is resting, do we throw it into Clingan and see what he can do? We’ve had mixed results this year but he has shown himself capable of a drop step or power dribble to the hoop this year

He also destroyed Marquette in our first matchup by just repeating AJax/Clingan pick and roll. This could be a good game
for him if Arkansas focuses on stopping Sanogo

Reaction Score
Sanogo is definitely the best post player we will have faced this year.
And while Sanogo is a problem what about Clingan? Who can rebound or drive over him? Not easy. Then are we making outside shots? 5 players who can do that, time and foul trouble will tell.

Reaction Score
I'm very worried about this matchup, but everyone else doesn't seem to be?

Davis is one of the best perimeter defenders in the country and could see him giving Hawkins fits. Their athleticism isn't something we've seen since the Bama game. Also, Musselman is probably a better X's and O's coach than Hurley.

No result would surprise me but I hope we don't let our guard down even a little bit now that we're 'finally past the first weekend.' See y'all in Vegas!
Is he a better perimeter defender than Logan Johnson?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I didn’t say Dan was better, but spare me the gods gift to the world nonsense. We don’t measure success in number of S16 appearances. He’s in the ballpark of all above average coaches that haven’t won a ring.

Reaction Score
He may be the most technically proficient back-to-the-basket big in the country and has added a 3 point shot you have to respect, as well as the ability to drive from the 3 point line if the defender gets a little too eager. He's a totally different animal than anyone you guys have seen this season.
That’s why we may end up letting him get his, and try to make everyone beat us. Davis is 6’4 with a long wingspan, and Walsh is 6’7 with a 7’3 wingspan so they will be different than anyone Hawkins has seen this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom