Arkansas Scouting Report | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Arkansas Scouting Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Last year against Gonzaga we let Timme have his (25 points), and stopped their guards and 3P shooting (top 30 three point % team, held to 5/21). This is a proven formula in the NCAAT, take the guards and the 3 out of the game. Focus on disrupting Hawkins and running he and others off the 3.

something additional to look out for: Arkansas can be a poor FT shooting team. So even if UConn fouls stack up, there is no guarantee we make those FT’s

Reaction Score
Joking about
That's their defensive strength as a team, however Council is their weakest perimeter non-big while Makhel Mitchell, if he plays, is their only big who isn't an average-or-better perimeter big.

After a made bucket, Black is the guy who brings the ball up the court, however, sometimes Council brings the ball up when he gets ISO calls.

Ball pressure definitely disrupts Arkansas' halfcourt offense. For example, four of their last six losses were against Texas A&M (2x), Mississippi State and Tennessee, all teams that rank within the top-50 in defensive turnover rate.

The "Andre Jackson" style of defense would be a viable defensive option for Arkansas. Listen, we've played two very good defensive teams this tournament and we face another on Thursday...I guess the good news is that UConn will be mentally conditioned (both via the players and the coaches) for that type of style of play.

The biggest difference between Iona/Saint Mary's and Arkansas is that they have size at the 4 and 5 spot, Arkansas doesn't.

I'll keep you guessing here. If I were Moore or Young, that would mean I either a) occasionally post on The Boneyard in-game; or b) give someone else access to my account during the game to perpetuate the guise.

Either way, I'm not showing my hand, but the few people here who know me personally know the true answer...
joking about the Moore and Young reference. As a hoop junkie and absolute Huskymaniac I love your thorough reports. Be great to have an opportunity speak and exchange ideas. I do scout high school players and teams here in Vermont. Not nearly the talent there is in other states but high school basketball is big here and lots of fun

Reaction Score
Hawk doesn’t drive much but he is quick. At the same time his handle isn’t great. I assume he’ll look for more 3s, as he usually does. I don’t know if length will bother him a ton though, he has one of the quicker releases i’ve seen. Should be a good game my man!
Prosper is tall and athletic with plenty of reach and shut down Hawk in 2 of the 3 games we played. And we list those games

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Last year against Gonzaga we let Timme have his (25 points), and stopped their guards and 3P shooting (top 30 three point % team, held to 5/21). This is a proven formula in the NCAAT, take the guards and the 3 out of the game. Focus on disrupting Hawkins and running he and others off the 3.

something additional to look out for: Arkansas can be a poor FT shooting team. So even if UConn fouls stack up, there is no guarantee we make those FT’s
Most stat nerds will tell you its not the % from 3 that indicates a good perimeter defense, its the attempts. Hence Tennessee's early success and regression to the mean.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Im not so worried about fouls stacking up, Im worried about who they stack up on. I don't want Andre Jackson with 3 first half fouls. Or Karaban. We can withstand foul trouble in a lot of areas because of our depth, but those two make the team tick. 1 from energy on both ends. the other just from a very intelligent,poised floor game.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Im not so worried about fouls stacking up, Im worried about who they stack up on. I don't want Andre Jackson with 3 first half fouls. Or Karaban. We can withstand foul trouble in a lot of areas because of our depth, but those two make the team tick. 1 from energy on both ends. the other just from a very intelligent floor game.
Agreed - Jackson foul trouble usually spells disaster. Which is why its so frustrating when he picks up his 1 foul per game playing textbook defense: Moving his feet, arms back, chest out. Offensive player jumps into him creating contact and he gets called for it. Happened against Kolek and its happened 1-2 times in the tourney. Maddening.

Reaction Score
Im not so worried about fouls stacking up, Im worried about who they stack up on. I don't want Andre Jackson with 3 first half fouls. Or Karaban. We can withstand foul trouble in a lot of areas because of our depth, but those two make the team tick. 1 from energy on both ends. the other just from a very intelligent,poised floor game.
Can't believe a seasoned and astute poker player like yourself is opening up the Kimono like this. Shocking

August_West

Reaction Score
Can't believe a seasoned and astute poker player like yourself is opening up the Kimono like this. Shocking
I've got big hands.

Reaction Score
Hurley doesn’t let guys get 3 first half fouls

Reaction Score
Listening to this guy you wouldn’t know he was talking about an 8th seeded team who finished below .500 in conference play. They’re talented, but they ain’t that “good”. We bring our A game on defense and we win. Offense will take care of itself

Reaction Score
Listening to this guy you wouldn’t know he was talking about an 8th seeded team who finished below .500 in conference play. They’re talented, but they ain’t that “good”. We bring our A game on defense and we win. Offense will take care of itself
They just beat the 1 seed in our region and one of the pre-tournament favorites, they’re playing well. Besides, the guy has come in and been respectful and added insight, he hasn’t been boasting about his team really, besides the post about Musselman.

Reaction Score
He is of that school, but is not as married to it as JC was. Its happened this season.
Fair, I just think since we’re so far along, he wouldn’t allow it to happen now. Plus, with the way we’ve been playing in 2nd halves, he’ll want to have his players playing without worry of getting a 4th early.

Reaction Score
They just beat the 1 seed in our region and one of the pre-tournament favorites, they’re playing well. Besides, the guy has come in and been respectful and added insight, he hasn’t been boasting about his team really, besides the post about Musselman.
FDU beat a 1 seed too. That 1 seed they beat was also without their head coach, whose pretty good. I watched that game, and it was just as much about Kansas choking the game away as it was Arkansas being impressive. And make no mistake this UConn team is more than capable of choking in the same manner. But also don’t make the mistake of thinking we aren’t clearly the better team. And it wasn’t a shot at the poster. They just are a lot more scary in theory than they are in reality

August_West

Reaction Score

Why do you always do this? I mean always. You short sell our opponents constantly and religiously. They certainly aren't the 90's Chicago Bulls no one is saying that even the poster you are referring to isn't saying that.

Reaction Score
Why do you always do this? I mean always. You short sell our opponents constantly and religiously. They certainly aren't the 90's Chicago Bulls no one is saying that even the poster you are referring to isn't saying that.
Did I really short sell Providence? As that is all you could be referring to. They ended up being the “plucky” team I said they were. All I’ve pointed out is facts about Arkansas. They’re an 8 seed who finished under .500 in conference play. We’re better. Doesn’t mean we’ll win. But we are better. Period.

Instead of being contrary to my pint for the sole purpose of playing that role. Point out the error in anything I said.

Reaction Score
FDU beat a 1 seed too. That 1 seed they beat was also without their head coach, whose pretty good. I watched that game, and it was just as much about Kansas choking the game away as it was Arkansas being impressive. And make no mistake this UConn team is more than capable of choking in the same manner. But also don’t make the mistake of thinking we aren’t clearly the better team. And it wasn’t a shot at the poster. They just are a lot more scary in theory than they are in reality
I think it’s a tough matchup. As others have said, we struggles containing the direct drives to the hoop. That’s kinda their M/O. Perimeter D needs to be on point.

Reaction Score
I think it’s a tough matchup. As others have said, we struggles containing the direct drives to the hoop. That’s kinda their M/O. Perimeter D needs to be on point.
Which is why I said, “if we bring our A game defensively”. There’s no disagreement there. Clingan will be huge. He played double digit first half minutes in game one. I can see him doing so again. I’ve also pointed out the problem playing Joey C might cause on defense. I’m not ignorant to the danger Arkansas poses.

Reaction Score
He is of that school, but is not as married to it as JC was. Its happened this season.
We rank 365/363 D1 teams in 2 foul participation at 3.6%. It's about as married to it as you can be.

Stats only go back to 2010 on it, but Calhoun ranked 331 in 11 at 3.5%, 318 in 2011 at 6.8%, 232 at 13.6% in 2012.

Historically, Hurley has been willing to play players with two fouls (his first few years at UConn were ~20%), but when he has deep teams he doesn't (2018 URI was 3.4% and 2017 URI was 5.4%).

Reaction Score
What seed was UNC last year? It’s about matchups and who’s playing best at the end of March, and not seeding or record. We’re playing our best basketball right now obviously, but y’all are a very tough matchup for us.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
We rank 365/363 D1 teams in 2 foul participation at 3.6%. It's about as married to it as you can be.

Stats only go back to 2010 on it, but Calhoun ranked 331 in 11 at 3.5%, 318 in 2011 at 6.8%, 232 at 13.6% in 2012.

Historically, Hurley has been willing to play players with two fouls (his first few years at UConn were ~20%), but when he has deep teams he doesn't (2018 URI was 3.4% and 2017 URI was 5.4%).
He did however leave Joey C in gor the last ~4 minutes of the first half against St Mary's with two fouls. I was very surprised when he did that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Dan Hurley is not in the same ballpark as Muss lol. This Harley’s first second weekend game in his career, right? Muss is a former nba coach with three straight sweet 16s, and he’s the best game planner and best at making in game adjustments in the country. However, he is a defensive coach and lets his talented players go 1 on 1 like in nba. Our offense is not pretty unless several guys are attacking the rim.
Well, I guess we are doomed then.

Reaction Score
What seed was UNC last year? It’s about matchups and who’s playing best at the end of March, and not seeding or record. We’re playing our best basketball right now obviously, but y’all are a very tough matchup for us.
Point
———
Head

Arkansas isnt a pushover. You guys pose a significant threat. However, I’m of the belief that we are the better team. I’m also of the belief that the challenges y’all pose aren’t insurmountable for this group. We’ve played long athletic teams this season and came out victorious. Sometime in dominant fashion. The boneyard shakes in their boots about every opponent. We had people saying St Mary’s was better than Kansas last Saturday. We turn every opponent into a Goliath. It’s a buffer for a let down. I get it.

Reaction Score
Point
———
Head

Arkansas isnt a pushover. You guys pose a significant threat. However, I’m of the belief that we are the better team. I’m also of the belief that the challenges y’all pose aren’t insurmountable for this group. We’ve played long athletic teams this season and came out victorious. Sometime in dominant fashion. The boneyard shakes in their boots about every opponent. We had people saying St Mary’s was better than Kansas last Saturday. We turn every opponent into a Goliath. It’s a buffer for a let down. I get it.
Oh y’all are the better team in a lot of categories. However, it’s March Madness :D.
Arkansas fans are the opposite. We’d convince ourselves we’d have a shot to beat the Bulls if we drink enough Kool-Aid!

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score

There's a stat for everything, wow.

Are there any stats on And-1's drawn and converted? Would be very curious to see where we rank given that Sanogo rarely draws fouls and Newton is streaky about it. Clingan gets to the line a bunch but rarely converts through contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom