Arkansas Scouting Report | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Arkansas Scouting Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Oh y’all are the better team in a lot of categories. However, it’s March Madness :D.
Arkansas fans are the opposite. We’d convince ourselves we’d have a shot to beat the Bulls if we drink enough Kool-Aid!
This is true. Anything can happen. We know that well here. Should be a fun game stylistically. Both teams like to run. I just think we make better decisions on offense. I think we win 78-70. Fun game. The West may have the two best games this weekend

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
As strange as this may sound, I'm more worried about us than I am about Arkansas.

Yes, they are obviously a talented team. They've survived longer than a number of teams that have knocked us off this year. Yes, they have a very experienced, intelligent coach who can devise ways for his team to best capitalize on our weaknesses. The one weakness that worries me (and this has reared its ugly head, even if very briefly, when we played our best, including the blowout of Bama) is that we tend to have lapses in concentration and discipline. This is a game where such a lapse will end our season.

If we remain fully in focus, avoid lazy, careless passes, avoid I'll advised shots early in a possession, avoid defensive miscommunications, we will be fine. The thing is, we haven't really proven that we can avoid those things.

Cautiously (very cautiously) optimistic.

Reaction Score
As strange as this may sound, I'm more worried about us than I am about Arkansas.

Yes, they are obviously a talented team. They've survived longer than a number of teams that have knocked us off this year. Yes, they have a very experienced, intelligent coach who can devise ways for his team to best capitalize on our weaknesses. The one weakness that worries me (and this has reared its ugly head, even if very briefly, when we played our best, including the blowout of Bama) is that we tend to have lapses in concentration and discipline. This is a game where such a lapse will end our season.

If we remain fully in focus, avoid lazy, careless passes, avoid I'll advised shots early in a possession, avoid defensive miscommunications, we will be fine. The thing is, we haven't really proven that we can avoid those things.

Cautiously (very cautiously) optimistic.
You articulated my sentiments much better than I did. I worry about our guys more than I’m worried about Arkansas doing something to beat us

Reaction Score
They are going to give us trouble with their guards.. 5 of the top 6 minutes per game are guards.. They stretch the floor and attack & they know they need to get Sanogo into foul trouble so look for them to try. Our guards haven't done to stop penetration, but out hedging has worked well against non-elite shooting teams.. DH and the gang will def play a lot of zone, but they will HOUND us on the perimeter, so TN better be ready to make smart decisions and SOMEONE has to step up and hit shots during the time they take JH away... they all do for a time. Too often when we are overplayed on D we fail to cut backdoor. I expect plenty of backdoor opportunities in this game. An ugly grind it out game.. UConn 62-59
Our longer zone will cause bad decisions by their selection. I assume they will start hot and us lukewarm. But we will not only confuse them and grind them with our bench and rebounding 2nd half.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Which is why I said, “if we bring our A game defensively”. There’s no disagreement there. Clingan will be huge. He played double digit first half minutes in game one. I can see him doing so again. I’ve also pointed out the problem playing Joey C might cause on defense. I’m not ignorant to the danger Arkansas poses.

They are "good" . They were "good" in November and they are "good" now.

Yes no one disputes "if we bring our A game we can beat anyone" . I believe this to be absolutely true about this years edition of our team especially in light of the teams remaining. THere is only one team left that can stay on the floor with us with a chance while we are playing our A game and we already beat that team in November. Doesn't mean it will happen again, but Bama could also play their A game and it could be about as good as ours.

Arkansas is good enough to beat us. Seed aside they are better than St. Mary's, Converse is true too, we are better than our seed.

All the teams left are good teams. Inlcuding Princeton.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Last year against Gonzaga we let Timme have his (25 points), and stopped their guards and 3P shooting (top 30 three point % team, held to 5/21). This is a proven formula in the NCAAT, take the guards and the 3 out of the game. Focus on disrupting Hawkins and running he and others off the 3.

something additional to look out for: Arkansas can be a poor FT shooting team. So even if UConn fouls stack up, there is no guarantee we make those FT’s
What’s the best board for Arkansas?

Reaction Score
Our longer zone will cause bad decisions by their selection. I assume they will start hot and us lukewarm. But we will not only confuse them and grind them with our bench and rebounding 2nd half.
We have blown at least 5-6 double digit leads this year. We were actually up 13 in the second half of A&M game in SECT.

Reaction Score
They are "good" . They were "good" in November and they are "good" now.

Yes no one disputes "if we bring our A game we can beat anyone" . I believe this to be absolutely true about this years edition of our team especially in light of the teams remaining. THere is only one team left that can stay on the floor with us with a chance while we are playing our A game and we already beat that team in November. Doesn't mean it will happen again, but Bama could also play their A game and it could be about as good as ours.

Arkansas is good enough to beat us. Seed aside they are better than St. Mary's, Converse is true too, we are better than our seed.

All the teams left are good teams. Inlcuding Princeton.
I dont think is disagree. I believe I said “that good” in reference to how I perceived the Arkansas fan to be describing them. They’re very talented, and a significant threat. We need to bring it defensively and make good decisions on offense. We have such a diverse offense that if we defend to our capabilities, we can take whatever they give us on offense and be successful. It’s really hard to hold down all of tristen, hawk, adama, AJax, karaban, and Clingan. 3 of the 5 will have good games offensively. I believe that should be enough

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
C'mon, Princeton's gonna get smoked. Although Creighton's reward for doing so might not be that fun for them.
I think so too, their ride will end here, but Princeton is not FDU or Furman, they won 2 games because they actually have players who can compete in a bunch of different ways , the Princeton big is an animal, but Kalkbrenner will negate some of that. Princeton got a bad matchup this round. I would've liked to see them against one of the remaining SEC teams, they would give all of them fits.

Reaction Score
I think so too, their ride will end here, but Princeton is not FDU or Furman, they won 2 games because they actually have players who can compete in a bunch of different ways , the Princeton big is an animal, but Kalkbrenner will negate some of that.

My Brown Bears beat Princeton in January so, by extension, we are in the Sweet Sixteen.

Reaction Score
Missouri was sized like a mid major. Princeton was comfortable against them. Creighton is a completely different animal.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
This is true. Anything can happen. We know that well here. Should be a fun game stylistically. Both teams like to run. I just think we make better decisions on offense. I think we win 78-70. Fun game. The West may have the two best games this weekend
Three of the best or is it the two best because the good guys win 2?

Reaction Score
That’s why we may end up letting him get his, and try to make everyone beat us. Davis is 6’4 with a long wingspan, and Walsh is 6’7 with a 7’3 wingspan so they will be different than anyone Hawkins has seen this year.
better than most that Hawk has seen this year? Yes. But Hawkins faced Olivier Max Prosper of Marquette and OMax had a lot of success defending him. Hopefully Hawk adjusts because from what I have seen Walsh is great defender.

Reaction Score
Three of the best or is it the two best because the good guys win 2?
One of them by law of averages will be a dud. I’d take a win in a dud though lol

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The Simpsons GIF
Yeah, but he's our nerd.

I appreciate this scouting report updating my vague knowledge that Arkansas was supposed to be very good, but then had multiple injuries and dropped off hard.

I'd wondered if they were back to full strength, but didn't bother to find out. Now I know that Brazile isn't back, and Smith is. The questions about Makhel Mitchell's status are just current news.

Thx @Hey Adrien!

Reaction Score
We need Newt to be special in this one. This is his game to shine.

We need the cling and clamps lineup to be ++. No ill advised from Hass and Alleyne.

We need Karaban and Joey to be solid against ISOs.
I’m worried about Newton and how he will fare well against a very athletic defense. Hard for him to get by guys, and seems like he tries to run through people or drive with the intent of drawing fouls.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I could see us struggling offensively if Arkansas is able to deny Sanogo the ball. There haven't been many games this year where that's happened, but I think back to that first Nova game where Sanogo got few touches and we struggled offensively. That being said, hopefully we're able to do that which should open things up for everyone on the three-point line, because I haven't seen a single player be able to defend Adama one-on-one this year.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Oh y’all are the better team in a lot of categories. However, it’s March Madness :D.
Arkansas fans are the opposite. We’d convince ourselves we’d have a shot to beat the Bulls if we drink enough Kool-Aid!
I thought y'all drink sweet tea down in them parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom