Are you wearing a homemade mask? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Are you wearing a homemade mask?

Status
Not open for further replies.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I maybe being overly cautious, but I literally haven't been within 50 feet of anyone but my wife and daughter in more than 3 weeks. Other than the mile round-trip to the mailbox, i haven't left our house, car or yard. :(

Reaction Score
I’ve been wearing a mask in public for weeks. Luckily I have a 3m N95 left over from my last project.
My wife also purchased some home made ones as it seems to be a big cottage industry out here.
She hasn’t been in Public for a month so I don’t know her plan .
Apparently my kids and wife have grounded me so I won’t be shopping for the next few weeks.
My new crush Dr Birx mentioned weeks ago , if everyone acted as though they had the virus and took steps to prevent yourself from spreading it we would stop it.
That was probably the most rational advice I heard anywhere.
Wearing a mask in public seemed to me the best way to limit the distribution of the virus either from coughing ,sneezing, or simply exhaling . Since I’ve done a number of refinishing and spray painting jobs . I‘m pretty comfortable and experienced wearing one correctly.
The irony is in January I talked about purchasing some good masks to prevent allergies during my long walks this spring.

Reaction Score
My Dad and I had a massive stash of n95s from his business. Probably about 2000. Sent most to hospitals/nursing homes etc. last week.

Kept maybe 20-30 to give to the elderly in my family. Personally I'm just throwing on a bandana the rare time I need to go out. I'd rather save the n95s for more at risk people.

If you're immuno-compromised or know anyone who is, give me a PM and I could see if my dad can stick one in the mail for you.

Reaction Score
My Dad and I had a massive stash of n95s from his business. Probably about 2000. Sent most to hospitals/nursing homes etc. last week.

Kept maybe 20-30 to give to the elderly in my family. Personally I'm just throwing on a bandana the rare time I need to go out. I'd rather save the n95s for more at risk people.

If you're immuno-compromised or know anyone who is, give me a PM and I could see if my dad can stick one in the mail for you.

Well done by you and dad as well as the offer. Thank you for being so thoughtful during these crazy times.

C

Chief00

Chief believes the most important thing and perhaps least discussed, is strengthening the immune system. That’s the foundational piece of any defense. Lots of zinc and vitamins A, C, D, E, & selenium.

Chief will be back on The Grind this summer, so I will likely be exposed as will most of the folks here over the next year before the vaccine. That’s why I am focused on immune system as I work from home. Zinc hinders the virus from replicating and that’s how it does the damage in our lungs. Vitamin A coats the exterior of our healthy cells so it‘s harder for a virus cell to attached and penetrate. Vitamin D tends to facilitate the effectiveness of other vitamins and we know it’s properties against cancer cells. Vitamin C has always been effective against Corona family viruses.

Other than immune system and exercise Chief’s focus is on hand-washing (always been a fanatic now crazy fanatic), tight social circle and going outdoors a lot. Washing down groceries.

Chief has some 3M N95 masks left over from a construction project a couple years ago but have not worn any yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
FC61B21C-0548-445B-8CFC-DD260B2C852D.jpeg

Under Armour underwear!

Reaction Score
I’ve been wearing a mask in public for weeks. Luckily I have a 3m N95 left over from my last project.
My wife also purchased some home made ones as it seems to be a big cottage industry out here.
She hasn’t been in Public for a month so I don’t know her plan .
Apparently my kids and wife have grounded me so I won’t be shopping for the next few weeks.
My new crush Dr Birx mentioned weeks ago , if everyone acted as though they had the virus and took steps to prevent yourself from spreading it we would stop it.
That was probably the most rational advice I heard anywhere.
Wearing a mask in public seemed to me the best way to limit the distribution of the virus either from coughing ,sneezing, or simply exhaling . Since I’ve done a number of refinishing and spray painting jobs . I‘m pretty comfortable and experienced wearing one correctly.
The irony is in January I talked about purchasing some good masks to prevent allergies during my long walks this spring.
I have a girl crush on Dr. Birx; I don’t normally go for older but she’s awesome!

Reaction Score
Home Depot delivered my masks early today! I’m so happy - I will look like a freak, but I was all I could find to order (I don’t really have any of the materials lying around to make any of the one from the videos circulating online).
I do have some other ones en route, but they won’t be here for another week or so. NJ put an exec order in that you can’t go to a store without your face covered starting Friday night. At least this way I can keep my nose and mouth covered. And well, if I look sketchy people can stay away from me.

I haven’t seen paper products in a store since the last time I looked, March 14. I haven’t had Tyler Phommachanh delivered since December and I think I’m good until May but I’m starting to get nervous. I’ve been using clothes and T-shirts I turned into rags for cleaning in lieu of paper towels.

I did break down and buy 50 lbs of flour (for $46) and I have a ton of yeast left over from Christmas. So I can bake a ton of bread. So I may not have Tyler Phommachanh or paper towels, but I will have bread!

Reaction Score
Yeah just got back from big Y a couple hours ago in central Connecticut: no rice , no OJ , minimal meat choices , no frozen french fries , bread picked over and deli was closed by 715 - Jesus

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Chief believes the most important thing and perhaps least discussed is strengthening the immune system. That’s the foundational piece of any defense. Lots of zinc and vitamins A, C, D, E, & selenium.

Chief will be back on The Grind this summer, so I will likely be exposed as will most of the folks here over the next year before the vaccine. Thats why I am focused on immune system as I work from home. Zinc hinders the virus from replicating and that’s how it does the damage in our lungs. Vitamin A coats the exterior of our healthy cells so it‘s harder for a virus cell to attached and penetrate. Vitamin D tends to facilitate the effectiveness of other vitamins and we know it’s properties against cancer cells. Vitamin C has always been effective against Corona family viruses.

Other than immune system and exercise Chief’s focus is on hand-washing (always been a fanatic now crazy fanatic), tight social circle and going outdoors a lot. Washing down groceries.

Chief has some 3M N95 masks left over from a construction project a couple years ago but have not worn any yet.

Long story made short...all good ideas, but I suspect none of them will actually survive contact with the virus. If you cross paths with it, you’re going to get it.

Best bet. Stay home. Like really stay home.

C

Chief00

Long story made short...all good ideas, but I suspect none of them will actually survive contact with the virus. If you cross paths with it, you’re going to get it.

Best bet. Stay home. Like really stay home.

Been staying home but don’t expect to for a year. As I said, I agree most of us will get exposed to the virus at some point If the vaccine takes over a year.

This exercise has been all about flattening the curve. Three things matter then when your time on the curve comes and you get exposed to the virus: the concentration of the virus, your immune system and any underlying conditions. Fortunately, I don’t have the publicized underlying conditions. The concentration can be mitigated by avoiding tight quarters inside and poorly ventilated rooms and of course clean your hands/surfaces and don’t touch your face. But, at the end of the day, the immune system is key to fight it off so the exposure and result is mild or asymptomatic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I have a couple of big respirators that each have 2 P100 cartridge filters on them. I haven't used them yet, but will probably use them this weekend on the first trek to the store in a good while. They are remnants from a lead paint stripping project that I never used - good thing I hold on to things.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
someone must have an aweful lot of Tyler Phommachanh stashed at home
Have people realized a standard bottle of Lysol spray will literally last you like a year yet? You didn’t need 40 of them.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I had a small stash of masks and gloves from my days as an EMT in NJ. My wife and I are in FL now and we just don't go out except into our yard to garden and then cocktail hour on the front porch where we talk to neighbors from 30 ft away. I am still working and have an occasional trip to Fedex or PO to mail off reports wear a mask and gloves. Otherwise our nieces went shopping for us and our local wine store does front door delivery. We have a friend who is making home made cloth masks and I must say I like them better for when I go out on a bike or for a walk. I wear them and then they go right into the wash. My wife and I are 69, we are anticipating doing something like this for the remainder of the year.

Reaction Score
Have people realized a standard bottle of Lysol spray will literally last you like a year yet? You didn’t need 40 of them.

go from can to the shower, problem solved, just adjust your daily routine

Reaction Score
I have masks on backorder. In the meantime, I made one out of an old white tee shirt. Every time I put it on and look in the mirror, all I can think of is . . .

"Dr. Howard! Dr. Fine! Dr. Howard!"

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Today the Governor of Massachusetts announced mandatory face coverings. So where are those UConn masks already? Someone needs to get on this. I need one.
Just make sure you take it off before you eat or drink. A friend of mine picked up a coffee and forgot he had a mask on before attempting to drink it.

Reaction Score
I just wear a bandanna. Most people wear some type of masks while grocery shopping in Central Florida. Still waiting for the homemade mask from my girlfriend that was promised about a month ago when she bought the supplies.

Reaction Score
Going through my N95s especially after my initial positive test.

Reaction Score
No, but have one. Been using a surgical that we got yrs ago when I had hip replace. Didn't need it for that, but handy now. Been wearing the same mask for a month +, but only to go into stores - our wonderful NJ gov so ordered. It's starting to really stink.

Reaction Score
I wear surgical masks from the hospital. Not N95s, just surgical.

I have some pretty designer mask on order from here.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom