Are you wearing a homemade mask? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Are you wearing a homemade mask?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I only have a few n 95 masks left so I have turned to making my own. Some local fabric stores have precut pieces of cloth, but it is just as easy, if not easier, to get the mats yourself. Definitely seeing an increase in this out and about as regular masks are pretty impossible to get right now.

Reaction Score
I’m wearing a homemade one (no n95’s) and gloves whenever I am out and expect to encounter people in close proximity. So, when I make our every-other-week grocery run, to pick up prescriptions, or to pick up takeout, for example. I’m also shopping for an elderly couple I’m friends with to keep them out of the stores. I was in a grocery store last week in one town with a fair number of cases, and no one else was wearing a mask. I went to another store in the next town, and 75% were wearing them. I bet it’s higher now.

I wear it mainly to protect others, but, as someone else alluded to here, I’m also hoping for some protection in the form of a reduced viral load if I should come in contact.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I am wearing a cloth mask and have worn gloves, but I haven't worn gloves the last time I went out. I just purell my hands as soon as I get in my car. The mask does two things. It stops you from spreading anything and protects from you breathing in any viruses including Covid19.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'll repeat an earlier post....the scariest thing about Coronavirus is that my health is impacted by the stupidity of other people

I'd suggest your health is based on your body's internal ability to fight off a virus regardless of other's choices, but I cant' guarantee that.
I'll repeat what I put in earlier posts. Statistically this virus isn't an equal opportunity offender. Each person needs to know their body and their conditions and act accordingly.

Reaction Score
If you’re a few feet away from everyone you shouldn’t need a mask. Good precaution tho. Wash those paws fellas

Reaction Score
I bought a homemade cloth mask from someone who was selling them on ebay. When it gets here, I will have to quarantine it for a few days and then wash it. It has a pocket for a liner. I plan to cut up a HEPA vacuum bag and use it as a liner.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
So for those of us non essentials that will return to the office for work once shelter in place is lifted, do we wear masks in the office ?

Reaction Score
Just made a cheap one today with a bandana and coffee filter as per work requirements... I probably wI’ll only wear it in places at work where I can’t stay six feet away. I don’t think it’ll do much, but I’ll probably also wear it when picking up takeout and grabbing groceries as I feel like it’s the polite thing to do for those employees you interact with, as many I’m sure don’t want to be there.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I left my house for the first time yesterday in three weeks to make a supply run for the animals and kids. Wore a landscaping face shield that I have, but only when in the store. When I take the dogs or kids for a walk I do not wear a face mask, but will definitely zig zag across the street if needed when people are walking on the wrong side of the road.

Reaction Score
Is Rashad Anderson wearing a mask?
lariermask.jpg

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I have a bunch of masks left over from my days as an EMT. I only wear them to go to the grocery store or other outings where I am indoors. I keep one in the car in case I am out in public. Yesterday I put one on when I went into the PO to mail a package. Even though everyone kept 6 ft apart on line I felt more comfortable with the mask on. You don't need an N95 or other high end mask because this isn't to prevent you from getting it more so that you don't spread it. A couple of days ago I went out on the rail trail on my bike but there were so many people out I didn't feel I could actually maintain the 6 ft so I peeled off and went out on the main road which in Florida has its own set of risks even with the lighter traffic. I saw several other guys biking with neck gaiters, so I went on Amazon to order but delivery wasn't until May 18 to June 8. I even looked to see if there were UConn neck gaiters - I couldn't find any (found Celtics, BC Eagles and Tiger King though). I did find some neck gaiters at the Warming Store - they are due today so I will let you know.

Reaction Score
This is the ad that keeps popping up on my phone at this site. Corona’s going crazy lol.
F517636B-37BE-45CA-A0AE-F06D4EF5813F.jpeg

Reaction Score
My wife and I found two N 95 masks in our garage when we’re painting last year -started wearing those yesterday when I went to pick up pizza/groceries. Felt like a weirdo and people were looking at me like I was carrying the virus but hey- safety first Then I sprayed myself down with Lysol when I got home and took all my clothes off before I walked in house. I kno a little nutty but I Got a newborn and 2 yr old at home so is what it is.

Reaction Score
I find it remarkable that people still think wearing a mask looks "foolish" and that the embarrassment of it has them going out in public without one. And I've met many Yarders over the years. Usually middle aged fat guys with bad haircuts and out of style mustaches or goatees. Not fashion plates in any regard. Let's get real, fellas.

Reaction Score
I find it remarkable that people still think wearing a mask looks "foolish" and that the embarrassment of it has them going out in public without one. And I've met many Yarders over the years. Usually middle aged fat guys with bad haircuts and out of style mustaches or goatees. Not fashion plates in any regard. Let's get real, fellas.

So true and the times call for "looking stupid" right now. You have to realize the ones who don't care are also the smart ones while the ones who look at you like you have one eye are the one's picking up 3 friends in a Fusion to go fishing and using the same bait and cooler while in a row boat.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The short answer is no. At least not right now.

I have used the gloves when grocery shopping or getting gas. I purchased a box of food gloves from Amazon a while back - 200 in a box. We use them down here for our CERT program if we are called out. There also great for working with meats when prepping for the smoker.

We are getting ready to ship another 75 - 80 homemade masks to our daughter-in-law, the RN at Danbury Hospital. We'll probably keep a few for us.

Stay safe Boneyard.

Reaction Score
Reminds me of ski helmets. People started wearing them, but they were still not the norm for adults that had skied for a number of years. I was about ready to start wearing one when I took a spring trip to Vail. I figured I'd just wait until the off season to get one on sale. Then Natasha Richardson died that week and it seemed like everyone got helmets. It became odd NOT to have a helmet. Herd mentality can be a good thing when it hits a tipping point.

Reaction Score
i find that shorts w skid marks are particularly effective w supermarket crowds.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I'm in Manhattan so been wearing one for about a week and a half... Stay safe everyone!

Post/Avatar

Sorry, not sorry.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I'm not wearing one when I walk around town with my family and/or dog. My plan is to wear one when I go to a store, but I've been able to avoid that for 10 days now and don't see a need for a visit for at least two more weeks. We've been successful getting deliveries for everything (even Tyler Phommachanh (which was starting to get low because we didn't hoard) if my delivery shows up).

My plan was to wear one of the few surgical masks we have, then a cloth one over it to keep the surgical mask from getting contaminated as easily (and because the cloth ones look tougher). There's been so much mixed messaging about masks (I think it's deliberate misinformation and I'm not a conspiracy guy usually). The best I can interpret, the surgical mask gives a bit of protection to the wearer. The cloth mask just helps others (still good if we all wear them), and stops you from touching your face. Our plan was to wash the cloth mask and recycle the surgical mask after a week or two when any virus would be gone. I have no idea if this is helpful to us, but it doesn't seem like it would be harmful.

I just lost a friend today. He, his wife and father-in-law were on lock down since they all had health issues. Daughter did some stuff outside the house. He, his daughter and father-in-law got COVID-19 disease and he and the father-in-law died. Even though the death rate seems small, and seems a lot bigger when you know the person. Stay safe everyone.
Sad to hear about your friend, Chuck.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Sister in-law made one for everyone in the family. She mainly did it for the attention seeking Facebook post but I’ll appreciate it if I have to go to the store.

I don’t think mine did it for that reason but that’s hilarious, and otherwise same as me.

I’ve gone to a gas station a couple times in 2 weeks and have never touched a thing w my hand, and for the last week I’ve worn the mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom