Are you wearing a homemade mask? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Are you wearing a homemade mask?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I do wear a small homemade one any time I go to either the post office or supermarket.
I also have my joke picture that I posted on Facebook. This is me in front of my son's Irish flag.
20200407_113321.jpg

Reaction Score
I find it remarkable that people still think wearing a mask looks "foolish" and that the embarrassment of it has them going out in public without one.

You're preaching to the choir on the Boneyard. Many of us survived dressing in the 70's, so we're immune to Fear of Looking Foolish.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You're preaching to the choir on the Boneyard. Many of us survived dressing in the 70's, so we're immune to Fear of Looking Foolish.

I go to the games. I see all of you. A t-shirt from the 2004 tourney that's 2 sizes too small now. Wrangler jeans and Nike low-tops straight from the Kohl's bargain rack. God forbid you wore a mask into a Stop and Shop.

Reaction Score
I find it remarkable that people still think wearing a mask looks "foolish" and that the embarrassment of it has them going out in public without one. And I've met many Yarders over the years. Usually middle aged fat guys with bad haircuts and out of style mustaches or goatees. Not fashion plates in any regard. Let's get real, fellas.
Not me. I’m an in shape middle aged guy who still hoops on the regular. Lol

Reaction Score
I go to the games. I see all of you. A t-shirt from the 2004 tourney that's 2 sizes too small now. Wrangler jeans and Nike low-tops straight from the Kohl's bargain rack. God forbid you wore a mask into a Stop and Shop.
Lol. “Nike low tops straight from the kohl’s bargain rack”.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I went out fishing today, and there were other guys alone in their boats that were wearing masks. Can't see the point of having it on when you're not going to be within 75 to 100 feet of anyone else.

Reaction Score
I have a P100 respirator. If that doesn't keep the virus away, nothing will.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I found a stash of N95s in my work bench. Must have gotten them when I was installing insulation in the basement a few years ago.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I found a stash of N95s in my work bench. Must have gotten them when I was installing insulation in the basement a few years ago.

I bought a box of N95s a few years ago as a precaution (I was on an N1N1 corporate task force so..). But for shopping duty I'm using the homemade masks my wife spends all day sewing.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I went into a Target for the first time (post-pandemic) a few days ago. The apocalypse is 100% upon us. I was the ONLY ONE without a mask and/or gloves, and I felt like I was being judged for it. Aisles were empty and there were signs saying "you can only buy 1 of these." No one was happy and everyone looked scared. Wow. It's just wow.

Last edited:

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Reminds me of ski helmets. People started wearing them, but they were still not the norm for adults that had skied for a number of years. I was about ready to start wearing one when I took a spring trip to Vail. I figured I'd just wait until the off season to get one on sale. Then Natasha Richardson died that week and it seemed like everyone got helmets. It became odd NOT to have a helmet. Herd mentality can be a good thing when it hits a tipping point.

I know what you mean. I snowboard, and when I was younger, no one owned a helmet except that random kid that was on the ski team. I never bought one, and by now I'm in the tiny minority that rides without.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I went into a Target for the first time (post-pandemic) a few days ago. The apocalypse is 100% upon us. I was the ONLY ONE without a mask and/or gloves, and I felt like I was being judged for it. Aisles were empty and there were signs saying "you can only buy 1 of these." No one was happy and everyone looked scared. Wow. It's just wow.

Was in Target for first time in a few weeks yesterday to get pill pockets for my dog - for some reason they're the only store around here that sells the $3.99 Milkbone pocket while everyone else sells the $7.99 green bag (can't remember the brand), and to check if they had any disinfectant sprays as my supermarket doesn't (neither did Target).

Compared to the supermarket, which looked like a pretty normal day, Target was desolate, and a far lower percentage of people in the store were wearing masks than those at the supermarket. I only scoped out the aisles on my way to what I needed, but was very surprised to see they were totally sold out of wipes when I'd just left the supermarket that had a full stock. The supermarket also had better stock of Tyler Phommachanh and paper towels. How does a regional supermarket chain manage its supply better than a national retailer?

Reaction Score
I only scoped out the aisles on my way to what I needed, but was very surprised to see they were totally sold out of wipes when I'd just left the supermarket that had a full stock. The supermarket also had better stock of Tyler Phommachanh and paper towels. How does a regional supermarket chain manage its supply better than a national retailer?

I was in Stop and Shop (central Connecticut) yesterday. There was no toilet paper, paper towels, wipes, or sprays. Same thing two weeks ago. I only go grocery shopping once every two weeks.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I was in Stop and Shop (central Connecticut) yesterday. There was no toilet paper, paper towels, wipes, or sprays. Same thing two weeks ago. I only go grocery shopping once every two weeks.

Which is why I sent a 40 lb box of all that stuff to my brother in Danbury, for which they gladly paid shipping costs of 3x what the actual contents were worth. They're good for at least a month now.

Reaction Score
someone must have an aweful lot of Tyler Phommachanh stashed at home

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Lol. “Nike low tops straight from the kohl’s bargain rack”.

I thought the white New Balance were the dad shoe of choice.

Reaction Score
Yes. My wife is “at risk” so we aren’t taking chances her is West Michigan

Reaction Score
How does a regional supermarket chain manage its supply better than a national retailer?
Could be anything, even as simple as the grocery store was restocked the night before while Target was due to be restocked that night.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Could be anything, even as simple as the grocery store was restocked the night before while Target was due to be restocked that night.

Could be, although the supermarket has had a butt ton of wipes for 5-6 straight days now, and at least some paper each day, although the brands change. And probably 4x-6x as many shoppers based on the traffic I saw at Target.

As an aside, my supermarket just announced they're only going to allow 50% of capacity until the end of the pandemic. Unfortunately, capacity is around 1000, so that's 400-500 people in a store that's not as large as a typical Lowes or Home Depot where they're only letting 100 in at a time. I'd guess there were a good 300-350 in the super yesterday morning from 7-9am and that was extremely uncomfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom