OT: - Are you older than dirt? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Are you older than dirt?

Reaction Score
I don't remember BlackJack gum. Was Butch Wax in an orange tin? If so, I might have one floating around somewhere. For the old NJ people, was there a Service Merchandising store in or near Montvale NJ? One of everything was on display. If you wanted to buy it, you filled out a form and gave it to a worker who went in back and got it for you. Now in high crime areas this is making a comeback. History repeating... Sadly, I remember everything else.

Remember the Outer Limits? We control the vertical! Ha, ask a kid what the vertical is.
How about Rod Steiger and the TWILIGHT ZONE... Not to mention, but I will, " Alfred Hitchcock Presents "
How old are "Rabbit Ears?

Reaction Score
You forgot one:

For the record, I saw these as reruns years later!

This I don't remember. The fact that it's in color says to me it's way too new. How about "Crusader Rabbit"? If memory serves me correctly, that was in black and white. I believe Crusader Rabbit (and Rags the tiger) was the precursor for Rocky and Bullwinkle.

"Speed Racer", which was newer, was a Japanese anime decades before that became a thing with my kids.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I had to count again. I got 5, so almost in the "getting there" category, but at least I know what several of the others are. I think a true whipper snapper would get zero and have no clue what any of these things are.
Be quiet. The adults are talking.;)

Reaction Score
How many of you have ever ridden in a rumble seat or stood on a running board?

I must admit I do not remember Black Jack gum. But then I did not pay any attention to the brand except to the double bubble kids commercial. How about the small coke bottles you bought out of the machine for 5 cents. Or how many of you ever had a Winky Dink set? I did not care for Howdy Doody. He looked too weird ( kind of the Chucky of his era ) and Clarabell and Mr Bluster were just too bazear for my taste. The same went for Pinky Lee who was just plum crazy.

Who ever remembers talking through cans connected by string?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
B5296722-1B47-4A16-A59E-994817A65A9F.jpeg

Reaction Score
Saturday morning TV shows for kids, and I don't mean cartoons.

-Sky King
-Fury
-Cisco Kid
-Lone Ranger
-My Friend Flicka
-Roy Rogers
-Zorro
Andy’s Gang with Midnight the Cat and Froggy the Gremlin. Froggy was a troublemaker and therefore my favorite.

MdStang

Greetings From Geezerville
Reaction Score
I remember Butch Wax as being a roll on product, smaller than deodorant roll on and light bluish in color. Although it was hard to maintain that stick up front of the crew cut in winter. Got swished by my "tossle cap". That's a wool cap with a ball on top for all you non-Yinzers.

Reaction Score
How many of you have ever ridden in a rumble seat or stood on a running board?

I must admit I do not remember Black Jack gum. But then I did not pay any attention to the brand except to the double bubble kids commercial. How about the small coke bottles you bought out of the machine for 5 cents. Or how many of you ever had a Winky Dink set? I did not care for Howdy Doody. He looked too weird ( kind of the Chucky of his era ) and Clarabell and Mr Bluster were just too bazear for my taste. The same went for Pinky Lee who was just plum crazy.

Who ever remembers talking through cans connected by string?
I agree with your thoughts about Howdy Duty. However, I did have a crush on Princess Summerfall Winterspring.
No rumble seat for me, but I do remember sitting on a jump seat in the back of a Checker Cab in NYC

Reaction Score
All of them

Me too. I definitely remember JFK and Ike, John Glenn, Drive in theaters (the Pix and Candlite in Bridgeport), Mantle & Maris, Hurricane Donna in 1960, the Clyde Beatty/Cole Bros Circus in Bridgeport, and Pleasure Beach Amusement Park in Bridgeport and the rickety old wooden bridge you had to drive over to get there. It was a great time to be alive and just a kid. Could never decide on PF Flyers or US Keds?

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
On this site, I have to mention: Girl's Half Court Basketball: 3 players from each team on both sides of the court. No one could cross the half court line........This stopped in 1971.
Actually the last 6 on 6 girls basketball ended in Oklahoma in 1995. The Iowa Girl's High School Athletic Union voted unanimously to end the game after their 6 on 6 girls basketball tournament in 1993. Two years after that Oklahoma ended their 6 on 6 basketball after their final 6 on 6 tournament.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I remember everyone of the 20, here are a few more.

1. How about the 12" black and white TV screen in a 4' x 6' wooden cabinet.
2. Then there is the record player that could play 33, 45, and 78 records.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Not sure how many of you grow up in Connecticut, but I watched the Ranger Andy show, followed by The Big 3 Theater.
Mr. Goober, too!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom