OT: - Are you older than dirt? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Are you older than dirt?

Reaction Score
19 of the 20. I don't remember Black Jack chewing gum, but do remember another oldie, Teaberry chewing gum.

I hadn’t thought about Black Jack chewing gum for years until just the other day when I was watching a Mercedes commercial where the models were blowing chewing gum bubbles in their cars. One of the bubbles appeared to made with Black Jack chewing gum. Black Jack was made by Clark’s, as was Teaberry. Teaberry was one of my favorites too.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
I don’t remember reels before movies.

All I really remember about the theater is my dad telling me about running the projector and changing the bulbs.

I think I remember the gum. I remember the gum brands that have been mentioned by fellow BY’ers

Guess I’m older than Dirt! :)

Reaction Score
Also like many of you I remember getting milk at school in little glass bottles for 2 cents… how the heck did they ever do that

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
17/20, but I live in The Villages, Florida, where Older than Dirt is just the norm!
I live in Solivita, Poinciana, FL. we are all at that age.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I had to count again. I got 5, so almost in the "getting there" category, but at least I know what several of the others are. I think a true whipper snapper would get zero and have no clue what any of these things are.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I had to count again. I got 5, so almost in the "getting there" category, but at least I know what several of the others are. I think a true whipper snapper would get zero and have no clue what any of these things are.
There are still juke boxes at the table in restaurants. I saw one a few years ago in a diner in the San Francisco area.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
There are still juke boxes at the table in restaurants. I saw one a few years ago in a diner in the San Francisco area.
There's a place a couple hours east of Seattle I like to eat that has them (I think; I haven't been there in a while). It's also a diner. I would guess you'd only find these in places that are purposely trying to capture a 50s or 60s era aesthetic.

Have you seen clips of kids trying to use a rotary phone? Or trying to figure out what a floppy disk is? It's pretty hilarious. Tech changes fast, some of the younger generation not only can't use the older stuff, they can't even figure out what it is or what it was used for.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
94FDE133-73BD-451C-A863-874BB73E72B9.jpeg

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
There's a place a couple hours east of Seattle I like to eat that has them (I think; I haven't been there in a while). It's also a diner. I would guess you'd only find these in places that are purposely trying to capture a 50s or 60s era aesthetic.

Have you seen clips of kids trying to use a rotary phone? Or trying to figure out what a floppy disk is? It's pretty hilarious. Tech changes fast, some of the younger generation not only can't use the older stuff, they can't even figure out what it is or what it was used for.

Reaction Score
I didn't know butch wax... Was that for those pompador hair styles or was that what the surfers used to put on their boards? I wasn't into either.

Reaction Score
I taught a Health course my first year teaching and the text book was published in 1952. In that book it said that you should endeavor to take a bath once a week and wash your hair once a month! Even in 1968 those kids thought that was gross! I do remember that I put Butch Wax in my hair to keep the DA looking sharp :D.

Reaction Score
How many of you remember Caldor in Willimantic? For this international grad student who didn't have a car the first 2 years at UConn, going there was a treat.

Still remember driving to Lechmere in NH in a car full of friends to buy electronics to avoid paying sales tax :)

I'm talking late 80s.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
There are three that I don't remember. (BlackJack chewing gum, as others have mentioned, blue flash bulbs, and Butch Wax). I never saw Howdy Doody, nor used a roller-skate key, although I knew what both were at the time. The former through older siblings, the latter through Melanie. My sisters were aghast, so explained the key to me.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
17 out of 20
1. My gum of choice was Beechnut and Bazooka Joe
9 & 15. All I knew abt the phone is my grandmother, mom and older sister were always on them (she had a princess phone) and they had long curly cords.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom