OT: - Are you older than dirt? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Are you older than dirt?

Reaction Score
Not sure how many of you grow up in Connecticut, but I watched the Ranger Andy show, followed by The Big 3 Theater.
I was on Ranger Andy with my Cub Scout den. I was elected to stand up and give the troop and den number info. At school the next day, I was a star! It was all downhill from there.

Somewhere I still have my autographed pic of Ranger Andy feeding a squirrel or chipmunk or similar rodent.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I was on Ranger Andy with my Cub Scout den. I was elected to stand up and give the troop and den number info. At school the next day, I was a star! It was all downhill from there.

Somewhere I still have my autographed pic of Ranger Andy feeding a squirrel or chipmunk or similar rodent.
My brother was on Ranger Andy, I think @JRRRJ

Reaction Score
This is a picture of a ticket to the Sox that I’ve kept for some reason.

The worst thing I ever tasted. Fletchers Castoria. I think that's right, for pooping. How about going in for surgery and had to endure the Ether to put you out. I'm sure the spelling is wrong, so I hope you know what I am talking about.
Castor Oil

Reaction Score
Saturday morning TV shows for kids, and I don't mean cartoons.

-Sky King
-Fury
-Cisco Kid
-Lone Ranger
-My Friend Flicka
-Roy Rogers
-Zorro
I remember most of these from the radio. (TV was a disappointment when I saw them.) Sky King's niece and nephew were Penny and Clipper, and his 2-engine Cessna was the Songbird. Cisco's sidekick was Pancho. The Lone Ranger's nephew (son of the Ranger's slain brother) was Dan Reed, who was sent to school back east (presumably Harvard), and later had a son (Britt Reed), who became a newspaper publisher and was secretly known as the crimefighting Green Hornet. Each show would end with the newspaper boy hawking on the street -- "Extra, extra, read all about it: Police capture bank robbers, Green Hornet still at large." Gene Autry was my favorite cowboy. At the end of each show, he would urge his listeners to chew "delicious, refreshing, doublemint chewing gum, . . . until we're back in the saddle again . . ."

Reaction Score
I recall all except PF Flyers.
Was that a brand of bicycle? It seemed like all the bicycles of my youth were Schwinns.
I still have a Flexible Flyer sled in my garage. They were the best. My first "English" bike with hand brakes and gears was a Raleigh.

Reaction Score
Ditto. Those were the days. TVs were B&W, small, full of snow.
As my kids used to remind me, “Papá, when you were young and dinosaurs stalked the Earth…”

Cars didn’t yet have fins. Madras shirts and bell bottoms were a few years into the future.
Before bell bottoms, we had Madras shirts and white Levi jeans. (High School circa 1965)

Reaction Score
Also like many of you I remember getting milk at school in little glass bottles for 2 cents… how the heck did they ever do that
Maybe it was 4 cents. :)

Reaction Score
many years ago there was a circus fire in Hartford. zymurg was there. were there any other 'yarders in the audience?
My mother and grandmother had tickets to the circus the day of the fire, but they for some reason decided to go to the movies instead. To this day my mom doesn't know why they choose the movies, but it was a very lucky choice. My mom is 97.

Reaction Score
Like several others, I remember all but the BlackJack gum. But then, Sr. Mary St. John told us we should only chew gum in the privacy of our bedrooms, so I wasn't much of a gum aficionado anyway.

Reaction Score
many years ago there was a circus fire in Hartford. zymurg was there. were there any other 'yarders in the audience?
My mother and aunt (who was visiting from Wisconsin) were going to take me but that day, for some reason, they decided not to go.

Reaction Score
I remember going to the Star theater on Park Street in Hartford and seeing a double feature with a cartoon and news reel before the first movie. My sister, brother and I could go to the movies for under a dollar.
The Saturday afternoon Matinee at the Capital Theatre in Willimantic just before the start of the school year- 25 cents, cartoons, a "serial," the movie and a "pen and pencil set." It was a cardboard box that contained items for school- pencils, erasers, wooden ruler, etc. I think that it was a remnant of the depression when parents didn't have the money to pay for both a special treat movie and buy the necessary school supplies for their kids.

The five and dime store.

I had a stamp collection. Who does that anymore? I did not save the standard 3 cent first class stamps because I thought that they would be 3 cents forever. Post card stamps were a penny.

When did the Surplus Center close in Willimantic?

One amazing survivor is the cheeseburger at the Shady Glen in Manchester, which is apparently still open.

Reaction Score
My mother and aunt (who was visiting from Wisconsin) were going to take me but that day, for some reason, they decided not to go.
The Barnam and Bailey was outside of Willimantic in a tent just before that fire. I went to it and sat at one end of the massive tent looking at the three rings, one behind the other from my position (it was a "three ring circus.") There were acts in all three simultaneously, on the ground and in the air, with the elephants being walked around the perimeter. It was amazing.

There was a strong stench of animal manure and I remember thinking that I would forget that part of it.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I remember most of these from the radio. (TV was a disappointment when I saw them.) Sky King's niece and nephew were Penny and Clipper, and his 2-engine Cessna was the Songbird. Cisco's sidekick was Pancho. The Lone Ranger's nephew (son of the Ranger's slain brother) was Dan Reed, who was sent to school back east (presumably Harvard), and later had a son (Britt Reed), who became a newspaper publisher and was secretly known as the crimefighting Green Hornet. Each show would end with the newspaper boy hawking on the street -- "Extra, extra, read all about it: Police capture bank robbers, Green Hornet still at large." Gene Autry was my favorite cowboy. At the end of each show, he would urge his listeners to chew "delicious, refreshing, doublemint chewing gum, . . . until we're back in the saddle again . . ."
I prefer the Doublemint twins.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Looks like I'm about right at "dirt", but not quite older than dirt....yet. Just a few more years though.

Reaction Score
There was a jingle on the radio: "Yoo-Hoo for you-u-u, it's Yogi Berra's favorite drink.

Yogi also endorsed Yoo Hoo Fudge Bars. “Me Hee for Yoo Hoo Fudge Bars Too Hoo”. I never had one. Has any one out there ever had one?

Reaction Score
For all those "older than dirt", What existed before "dirt" was created?
The blue prints used for the construction of I-95 from Bridgeport to Greenwich. I can remember the Q bridge being built back in the 50’s. My brother and sister can remember them blasting the tunnel through West Rock.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom