OT: - Are you older than dirt? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Are you older than dirt?

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
My brother was on Ranger Andy, I think @JRRRJ
Yeah. I remember the walk thru the WTIC corridor to the studio where the show happened, sitting on the bench, and enjoying the sing-along.

Pretty sure it was with the cub scouts pack 47, or part of it.

But nothing else has stuck.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Ask a millennial what this is

test pattern.jpg

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
When I was (I claim 2, it was definitely less than 5) years old, I had a dream that recurred many times.

I was in bed, asleep. I was awakened by a loud, droning noise. I looked up (seeing through the ceiling and roof above me) and saw a large number of airplanes flying overhead. They dropped many, many objects that became clouds of black particles when they landed on something. I ran downstairs and outside - avoiding the clouds - to a small, windowless room underneath the kitchen, where I cowered in a corner.

Many years later I reallized that this occurred at one of the very warm times of the cold war, when people everywhere were building bomb shelters in their backyard (not us). The black clouds were apparently my toddlers idea of radiation and I was doing a duck-and-cover.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
When I was (I claim 2, it was definitely less than 5) years old, I had a dream that recurred many times.

I was in bed, asleep. I was awakened by a loud, droning noise. I looked up (seeing through the ceiling and roof above me) and saw a large number of airplanes flying overhead. They dropped many, many objects that became clouds of black particles when they landed on something. I ran downstairs and outside - avoiding the clouds - to a small, windowless room underneath the kitchen, where I cowered in a corner.

Many years later I reallized that this occurred at one of the very warm times of the cold war, when people everywhere were building bomb shelters in their backyard (not us). The black clouds were apparently my toddlers idea of radiation and I was doing a duck-and-cover.
Well, that's a cheerful thing to remember.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score

There's a thin line between this being a dream and or a nightmare.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
For all those "older than dirt", What existed before "dirt" was created?
Rick's. People used to plant on rocks. Believe me dirt was a big improvement.

Reaction Score
The worst thing I ever tasted. Fletchers Castoria. I think that's right, for pooping. How about going in for surgery and had to endure the Ether to put you out. I'm sure the spelling is wrong, so I hope you know what I am talking about.

I remember Fletcher's Castoria. Yes it was a laxative. Yes it was awful.

Reaction Score
My sister, brother, and I used to pour the Castor oil down the sink when mom wasn't looking. I remember when it started coming in a capsule. That was some of the worst stuff you could ever have to take.

Reaction Score
The Fort Wayne Pistons, the Syracuse Nationals and the Rochester Royals. I attended an exhibition game between the Boston Celtics and either the Nationals or the Royals(my memory is older than dirt) in the Windham High School Gym in Willimantic in 1956.

I also had a Raleigh bike with a three speed Strummy Archer gear shift hand brakes and an enclosed chain guard, and a Flexible Flyer sled.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I grew up in the Bronx and went to a Catholic grade school in the 1950's. (Old, right?) The nuns used to let us bring a radio into class and listen to the Yankee games when they were in the World Series. And I just looked it up--the Yanks won the Series in 50, 51, 52, 53, 56, and 58. And won the American League pennant in 55 and 57. That about covers my grade school career.

And here's a related story. A buddy of mine from St. Louis recently gave me a ticket stub from the second game of the 1964 World Series--Cardinals vs. Yanks. (Price: $8 for a reserved seat, lower deck.) New York won, 8-3. Bob Gibson, probably my favorite ML pitcher of all time, got the loss. Here's the twist--the ticket stub was the part the club kept, not the part that they gave back to the patron. The reason was that my buddy was a kid working security at Busch Stadium in St. Louis for that game, and he took a few stubs.

Reaction Score
I didn't know butch wax... Was that for those pompador hair styles or was that what the surfers used to put on their boards? I wasn't into either.
s-l500.jpg
I had totally forgot about this stuff but after the reminder in the list I do remember using it in early elementary school! I unfortunately remember them all so I guess I'm older than dirt (wonder what that makes my 101 y.o. dad?). My wife and I are 68 and she claims we are early or middle old age ( can't remember which). She keeps redefining the scale year after year! I do remember chewing blackjack and teaberry although I always preferred juicy fruit once it was available. Remember having to play with the rabbit ears on top of the tv when the you lost reception?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
many years ago there was a circus fire in Hartford. zymurg was there. were there any other 'yarders in the audience?
You aren’t just older than dirt, you invented dirt. That fire was not all that farcfrom where i grew up in Hartford, but after dirt had been around for a few years.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Being almost as old as Zymurg, the very old days wander through what’s left of my mind at unpredictable times. How about some of these:

Pinky Lee
Kukla, Fran and Ollie
John Cameron Swayze with the first national TV news, 15 minutes at dinner time
Dave Garroway
Sky King. (Yeah too much TV)

How about radio. My mother listening to radio soaps - Wendy Warren -Helen Trent -Our Gal Sunday - Mary Noble Backstage Wife. and me with adventure shows. The Lone Ranger radio version and Johnny Dollar insurance investigator based in Hartford which i thought was way cool being from Hartford.

And just for jollies

Philco TV
Sky Bars
Fleer Double Bubble
Snap Jack shoes.

So much more useless brain filler except on the BY which appreciates such things. When does the season start?

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
You aren’t just older than dirt, you invented dirt. That fire was not all that farcfrom where i grew up in Hartford, but after dirt had been around for a few years.
I lived on Kensington st in Hartford for a number of years, my house within a stone throw from where tht fire happened, they built a school and laid out a big Bronze memorial with the names and ages of the 167 tht perished in the fire.....July 6 1944. I wasn't born at tht time but I did attend the school later on in the 60s.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I lived on Kensington st in Hartford for a number of years, my house within a stone throw from where tht fire happened, they built a school and laid out a big Bronze memorial with the names and ages of the 167 tht perished in the fire.....July 6 1944. I wasn't born at tht time but I did attend the school later on in the 60s.
I know exactly where that is. I lived on Branford St. off of Blue Hills. Played lots of golf at Keney.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom