OT: - Are there any sports you hate (or refuse) to watch. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Are there any sports you hate (or refuse) to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
For those arguing about soccer offsides, would you also do away with the blue line in hockey or given up the ghost there?

LOL - and the soccerheads are the ones going off on us "not knowing the rules"

Hockey offsides and Soccer offsides, aside from sharing a word, aren't even remotely close.

If anything, the former "2-line pass" is closer to soccer offsides, but it was eliminated for stupidity and eliminating exciting play - go figure.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
No one has ever agreed with me on this take, but..

College basketball >>>>> NBA
College football <<<<<<< NFL

The NBA is probably the worst of the big 4 sports leagues. Yeah baseball is boring outside of watching my home team, but good lord the NBA is painful to watch. And the NFL is just a much better product than college, particularly because most college QB's suck

i hate the nfl partially becuase they cater to these cry baby QBs way too much.

hitting them too hard is now a flag. It’s a joke

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Tough to say there's a sport I can't watch.

I really don't watch soccer, but if I chose to watch it, I'd know what I was getting myself in to for it.

Never watched a field hockey match and suspect I wouldn't enjoy it.

Watched a bit of women's MMA and boxing, but it's not appealing to me at all and haven't watched either in years.

Love watching downhill skiing and Super G. Not a fan of slalom at all.

Biathalon and cross country skiing aren't sports.

Don't like the newer rules with hockey with ties, shootout wins/losses, etc. Liked it better before.

Used to love watching higher level men's and women's volleyball. Like it less with new substitution rules and specialization of positions.

Ski jump and X games on skis and boards is cool. Don't get much in to the motocross or snowmobile competitions.

I'm assuming no one watches a marathon.

the Q

Reaction Score
Quirky hill to die on, so if they change that ONE rule are you in?

My youngest son plays and its a fun sport to watch b/c I don't know the rules or strategy so learning makes watching more interesting. Also enjoyable to watch young kids develop skills, the progression is interesting (amazingly faster than basketball) and the contact makes it fun too. Definitely prefer lacrosse vs if he played football (actually he does play in a flag league which gets less fun the older he gets, currently 4th grade).

1) I watched one ncaa tournament on espn (the year umass went to the finals)

2) I’m a baseball player, as far as I’m concerned lacrosse is just kids who can’t hit a curveball

Reaction Score
The only sport I cannot understand the appeal of objectively is Nascar on TV. They go around in a circle for hours. I'm sure in-person it's a fun experience, tailgating, etc. but on TV? Man, whatever floats your boat.

Personally...
  • College football: so long, so many clock stoppages, so little defense (generally). The level of play is poor. Once every few years I try to watch the national championship game and I'm bored out of my skull and checking my watch after a couple of series.
  • Baseball: Loved it until my late 20s, then stopped cold turkey. That was about a dozen years ago; I don't miss it one bit. Too many games, too many injuries, analytics helped ruin the sport as an entertainment product. I also hate the new Yankee Stadium.
  • Any kind of fighting: sorry, it's barbaric as hell. I don't want to watch two people beat the piss out of each other. Zero appeal. Not to mention there is so much fluff and BS associated with it. I'm amazed at how many people shell out money for these sham PPVs.

the Q

Reaction Score
Bad miss here. It makes the game. Nothing is stupider than the NBA advancing the ball to half-court on a timeout.

this is a top 2 contender for worst rule in all of sports….with the semi circle in basketball

Reaction Score
1) I watched one ncaa tournament on espn (the year umass went to the finals)

2) I’m a baseball player, as far as I’m concerned lacrosse is just kids who can’t hit a curveball
Lacrosse is more hockey players looking for something to do in warm weather.

Reaction Score

The NBA is probably the worst of the big 4 sports leagues. Yeah baseball is boring outside of watching my home team, but good lord the NBA is painful to watch. And the NFL is just a much better product than college, particularly because most college QB's suck
It's all about what floats your boat. NFL and college football used to be great but the sport hardly resembles what the sport used to be. I really have no interest anymore in watching pitch and catch with no hitting. I get why they changed the sport but it just sucks to watch. NBA doesn't have any of those same problems where the game needed to drastically change but it has changed too much for my liking, they need to do something to have less threes and bring back the big man/paint play. Still love watching the best athletes on the planet though.

Reaction Score
It's probably easier to make a list of the sports I do enjoy watching these days.

Basketball - college and NBA
Football - college and NFL
Soccer - Mostly Europe, I can't watch MLS and don't have any interest in the USMNT
College lacrosse
The occasional boxing match or MMA fight if there's a particular fight that interests me

I think that's it. I had a fling with hockey when I started listening to Spittin Chiclets but I tried to go back to it this year and couldn't do it. Baseball is like watching paint dry before October. I don't get the appeal of motor sports - I enjoyed that F1 series on Netflix but even after watching it I had no desire to sit through an entire race. (And, honestly, F1 sort of seems like a hobby for guys who are too rich for sailing or polo. I buy the team and all of a sudden my bozo son is one of the top 20 drivers in the world? Okay.) And I like playing golf but can't stand watching it. Maybe the last couple holes of a major if it's going down to the wire.

Reaction Score
Used to be a football fan, now I'm fed up with it. Turned off by the incessant hype on TV and very turned off by the injuries to kids.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I neither hate (nor refuse) to watch so much as generally feel like I have something better to do with my time.
Having grown up in a household that enjoy it always had some sports on the TV, my default is that I'm supposed to be watching and missing something when I don't. So I check standings throughout seasons of major sports; sometimes watch during playoffs, even with great enjoyment.

That said, I don't complain about or criticize those who watch because I probably visit this site 325-350 days a year.

Reaction Score
Hockey (too fast; can't seem to remember the rules; where the hell is the puck?) , soccer (mostly too slow and low scoring). and Lacrosse (same thing as hockey ...........start learning the rules then forget them the next time I watch it).

Baseball is becoming more and more boring to me in the manner in which the game has changed. 8 million strikeouts ("it's ok..........just make the pitcher throw a lot of pitches for a good at bat") Launch angles and exit velocities. 4-5 hour games. The announcers are straining to try to keep the audience from falling asleep. I tape games and zip through now to the scoring and even that is becoming boring.
Baseball games take forever. Who wants to sit through them.

College basketball games take a predictable 1 hour and ten minutes, more or less, barring overtime and at least there is scoring, unlike a lot of baseball and hockey games.

Pro games are more or less 2 hours.

Reaction Score
There are certain sports that are fun to watch in person. Hockey games, simply because the crowd can be fanatic. Otherwise, I would never watch.

I like baseball, but I couldn't watch an entire game on tv. Just innings here and there.

I like college football, but the game is simply too long. The clock stops too much!

I don't understand whom watches the "pseudo" sports like axe throwing and corn hole toss. How bored do I have to be to watch someone playing a boring game?

One exception, I love the trick billiard shots!
I don't understand whom watches the "pseudo" sports like axe throwing and corn hole toss. How bored do I have to be to watch someone playing a boring game?

Somebody from a farm state probably would like those sports. Maybe any Yarders from those places can weigh in on this one.

Reaction Score
Are we saying driving a car is a sport? Only thing athletic about it is holding your piss for an absurd amount of time

Reaction Score
I'm in the minority here, but i find the NBA largely unwatchable, at least now. Too much iso play, travelling has gotten even more ridiculous (which i didn't think was possible), uneven refereeing.

Every once in a while, you get a back-forth great game, but largely the minority.
I haven’t watched a full NBA game since the late 80s. The product today is unwatchable.

Reaction Score

I agree w this

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Nascar, no question.

Soccer is the closest of the "real" sports, but I can watch it if it's a big match, I just find it boring.

I LOVE baseball so I can watch that any time, and I like watching volleyball (helps when it's women).

Oh sorry, I forgot about MMA. I don't give a about that, honestly.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Curling has never grabbed my attention.
I want to give some time but another good thread would sports that you are surprised that you actually will watch. Curling is on that list for me. I'm not sure why, but I actually find it entertaining.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I love the Yankees and watch almost everyday, but any game* not involving the Yankees is just plain unwatchable. Brutally slow and just generally boring. I don’t think I’ve turned on a regular season baseball game, that doesn’t involve the Yankees, in years.

*I do like postseason baseball because that when baseball is played in its purest form - small ball, action on the bases and great defense. Ironically the Yankees have become unwatchable in recent postseasons...

**I also like going to baseball games, but that’s more for seeing the park / in person experience (and ample beer).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Soccer, and Diving. I’ll watch most olympic sports, that I other wise wouldn’t watch.

One sport I’ll always make sure I watch is college wrestling (glad it’s on tv more). To the general sports fan it’s unwatchable, if you wrestled then your watching from a different perspective.

Reaction Score
I want to give some time but another good thread would sports that you are surprised that you actually will watch. Curling is on that list for me. I'm not sure why, but I actually find it entertaining.

I also occasionally watch curling. But I know why.

Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 6.17.12 PM.png

Reaction Score
I actually do agree here, though I don't dislike NBA or college football, I like both of them a ton. I just prefer college hoops to NBA and NFL football to college.
I don’t dislike college football. I watch the big games every weekend, but the NFL, in my mind, has the best product right now of any sport. I’d rather watch a Thursday night Bengals vs Raiders garbage matchup than game 7 of the NBA finals lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom