OT: - Are there any sports you hate (or refuse) to watch. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Are there any sports you hate (or refuse) to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Obviously there are a bunch of sports that don't interest me in the slightest, but the sports that I have unsuccessfully attempted to get into are Hockey, Baseball and Women's basketball. On numerous occasions I tried to get into Hockey, mostly because I appreciate the fan culture of the sport, but there is just nothing about the action that excites me. The playoffs are exciting because 7 game series are unpredictable compared to the NBA but the endless overtimes kill me. I respect the history surrounding Baseball, the fact that it is a pillar of Americana makes me wish I could enjoy the sport but it is as boring as sports can get. Finally, Women's basketball. I want to support my alma mater, I really do. I make myself watch UConn Final Four games and have been relieved that we get bounced in the semis so that I don't have to sit through the national championship game. Tight, end of game situations can get my blood pumping but the fact that people sit through 50+ point wins boggles my mind.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
Golf, NASCAR & Lacrosse. Also, MMA is fun when they're standing & throwing blows/kicks; however, grappling is extremely boring.

Reaction Score
auto, horse, dog racing.

I used to enjoy horse racing. I stopped watching horse racing after Barbaro which made me check on horse racing fatalities. I found around 700-800 horses die every year from racing, some think the number is higher. That's over ten a week. Too much blood and senseless death for me.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Easy answer.

They move backwards more than forwards

They make the floppers in the NBA look like tough guys

It’s just a brutal brutal sport
Sign me up for all the Netflix documentaries on EPL teams. I find that super interesting, but unless it's a world cup, I make it through about five minutes before getting bored out of my mind.

Maybe it would be better if I treated it like baseball and kept it on in the background while I was doing something else.
It’s a product of what you do when you’re younger.

I didn’t play soccer when I was younger. I played baseball from diapers all the way into college. People who don’t get baseball and think it’s boring likely didn’t play, likewise my sentiment towards soccer. Doesn’t mean the sport sucks, just not my cup of tea.

Reaction Score
This is sort of off topic, but I recently watched this Formula 1 docu-series on Netflix. It is amazing and got me into F1 now. Crazy sport that I never knew much about.
I absolutely disregarded all things auto racing for my entire life; never cared about NASCAR, Indy Car, all the other weird American sectors.

But I'm a full-on F1 addict now after watching Drive to Survive. The racing itself is definitely more interesting than America (where in my provincial opinion everything's on an oval), but what really grabbed me was everything around the sport; the worldwide pageantry, the high stakes for drivers, constructors, and sponsors, the drama and rivalries, etc.

I think it helped that me and my couple of other friends who also became big fans after DTS were all also into soccer, so we were already conditioned to appreciate the international flavor of F1.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Rugby. During the early pandemic, Aussie Rugby was one of the first televised sports available but since the rules are incomprehensible, just the worst.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Rugby. During the early pandemic, Aussie Rugby was one of the first televised sports available but since the rules are incomprehensible, just the worst.
I hear you on the big pitch, but Rugby 7s is a fun watch.

Everything is 7. 7-on-7, 7 minute running time halves, and lots of scoring. I can (and have) watched all afternoon, game after game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
auto, horse, dog racing.

Lol. How dare you impugn the grandeur that is dog racing. Think of the heyday of the Plainfield track. It rivaled the Kentucky derby as a destination. Men and women dressed up in their finery, the pageantry that surrounds the racing is every bit a part of the experience.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
WNBA (and starting to find the NBA unwatchable). MLS. Used to watch NASCAR, but cars are too aero dependent and there's not enough action at the front. I watch F1, but the same thing applies.
I'll watch anything UConn even if I don't fully understand the sport (I'm looking at you field hockey and lacrosse).

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I hear you on the big pitch, but Rugby 7s is a fun watch.

Everything is 7. 7-on-7, 7 minute running time halves, and lots of scoring. I can (and have) watched all afternoon, game after game.

I enjoy rugby, but i think most Americans struggle with the possession rules in scrums, etc. Otherwise it's pretty fun, especially in person.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
WNBA (and starting to find the NBA unwatchable). MLS. Used to watch NASCAR, but cars are too aero dependent and there's not enough action at the front. I watch F1, but the same thing applies.
I'll watch anything UConn even if I don't fully understand the sport (I'm looking at you field hockey and lacrosse).
The WNBA can be brutal, but it has its moments. There was a playoff series between Diana Tarasi‘s Phoenix team and Sue Bird’s Seattle team that was epic. The two of them went to add each other making big play after big clay. It was a great watch.

Reaction Score
NBA is getting to that level for me. The fouls, flopping and complaining are bad. When played at a high level it's very entertaining.
I don't watch much hockey but this year's playoffs have been fantastic.

I'm a soccer guy and although MLS isn't high level it's ours so I'll watch it. Always funny watching champions league or EPL in the morning then an MLS match at night. The difference in quality is jarring

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I'm in the minority here, but i find the NBA largely unwatchable, at least now. Too much iso play, travelling has gotten even more ridiculous (which i didn't think was possible), uneven refereeing.

Every once in a while, you get a back-forth great game, but largely the minority.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I'm in the minority here, but i find the NBA largely unwatchable, at least now. Too much iso play, travelling has gotten even more ridiculous (which i didn't think was possible), uneven refereeing.

Every once in a while, you get a back-forth great game, but largely the minority.
I'm with you. The whole game has become guys tossing up 3 pointers. NO team play whatsoever. Celtics, who I historically rooted for, had to have one of if not the worst assist to basket ratio. For the moment they have kissed ball movement, player movement and passing aside. It's all about spacing and chucking.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Hockey (too fast; can't seem to remember the rules; where the hell is the puck?) , soccer (mostly too slow and low scoring). and Lacrosse (same thing as hockey ...........start learning the rules then forget them the next time I watch it).

Baseball is becoming more and more boring to me in the manner in which the game has changed. 8 million strikeouts ("it's ok..........just make the pitcher throw a lot of pitches for a good at bat") Launch angles and exit velocities. 4-5 hour games. The announcers are straining to try to keep the audience from falling asleep. I tape games and zip through now to the scoring and even that is becoming boring.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I enjoy rugby, but i think most Americans struggle with the possession rules in scrums, etc. Otherwise it's pretty fun, especially in person.
Now that you mention it. What are the rules for scrums and change of possession? I thought it was 4 tackles but that doesn't always hold true. I tried to look it up, but it is confusing.

Anyway, I don't like watching sports where the outcome is really an arbitrary judgement or where attire is considered. For instance, I can appreciate the athleticism of a gymnastics or figure skating routine, but I cannot take for four seconds Johnny Weir or Tara Lipinski commenting on the brilliance of the Slovakian "costumes." It would be like watching baseball, but docking one team a run for tearing a hole in the knee when they slid into second base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom