OT: - Are there any sports you hate (or refuse) to watch. | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: Are there any sports you hate (or refuse) to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I love soccer, but it is an incredibly nuanced game that most people who didn't play won't appreciate. Outside of world cups most people will find the sport incredibly boring. Objectively I realize it can be a boring game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This is kind of a disconnect as clay is the one surface that equalizes the power quite a bit, leads to longer points and rewards athleticism versus brute strength. So hating on the big & strongness of tennis and hating on the ONE guy that excels when the importance of strength is leveled is just hating.

I definitely liked the McEnroe - Connors era of men's tennis way more, but the sport is still good - yet I think women's tennis is the better watch right now with more interesting characters, mostly less emphasis on power, shorter matches (!) and aesthetics.

They should play on sand instead of clay. That would be an even bigger equalizer.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Diving is tough. I actually like watching it, but at the end of the day, it is still an arbitrarily judged competition. Also, the pools at the Brazil Games totally grossed me out.

Curling should not be as enjoyable as it is. It's shuffleboard on ice. Totally ridiculous. Yet I'll absolutely watch.

I agree about MMA. I did not appreciate Royce Gracie's performances in the first handful of UFC Championships in my younger years, but now that I'm involved in martial arts and can watch them off YouTube, he was a compelling fighter. They all were. I have ESPN+ and I'll still watch MMA if there is nothing more compelling on, but also I find myself rooting for the one with less tattoos.

The cliff diving is just fun to watch. It's pretty cool to see a human climb on an edge and choose free fall in to the waters below. It's visceral.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I love soccer, but it is an incredibly nuanced game that most people who didn't play won't appreciate. Outside of world cups most people will find the sport incredibly boring. Objectively I realize it can be a boring game.
I feel the same about baseball.

Baseball and golf (football for that matter as well) are awful TV sports and they are worse if you've never played and/or haven't seen them live.

For Baseball, there is a focus on the pitcher, catcher, and batter, which is where the action starts, but I am personally also interested in where the outfield is shaded, are they holding on the runner. how big is the gap at second, etc. There needs to be a pitch clock (with limited exceptions) to speed up games and the playoffs need to go back to afternoon starts, but much like everything else, money screws it up.

For Golf, it is truly impressive how far these guys hit the ball, that cannot be captured by a camera. What is more impressive is the accuracy and consistency. Going to a few events gave me more appreciation for when I catch it on TV.

Football is similar to baseball, I like watching the play develop downfield, away from the QB. The TV camera focuses on the where the ball is for the most part. Also, similar to baseball, there is too much downtime and stoppages in play.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The cliff diving is just fun to watch. It's pretty cool to see a human climb on an edge and choose free fall in to the waters below. It's visceral.
I don't catch cliff diving very often.

Reaction Score
Half the responses, this sport sucks but I haven't watched it in a decade or a couple decades...

I don't watch but I know it sucks.
The comments about the nba "product" are strange to me, and a strange choice of words that a couple people have used. Since we are on a college basketball board, I would think most everyone here watches a considerable amount of basketball. So to find the professional basketball league completely unwatchable is a bit bizarre

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
It's gotta be baseball. I'll watch some weird stuff like cornhole or curling if I'm bored enough, but baseball is so slow with very little happening.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The comments about the nba "product" are strange to me, and a strange choice of words that a couple people have used. Since we are on a college basketball board, I would think most everyone here watches a considerable amount of basketball. So to find the professional basketball league completely unwatchable is a bit bizarre

Just like in football, there is a considerable difference in skill level and style of play between the two levels. College teams don't have the skill up and down the roster and Pros can't (and frankly don't have to) run the motion for 82+ 48 minute games per season.

The end objective is the same (put the ball through the ring for a higher score than your opponent), but the means is quite different.

Reaction Score
Golf. I totally get people playing it (I don't), but watching others play it on TV? You need to get out more.

As someone who played baseball as my primary sport, other than golf (which I consider a game, not a sport), unless you're a pitcher or catcher, is the least athletic of all sports. You don't even work up a sweat. Basketball and soccer require the most athleticism.

Also, since all the stupid MLB rule changes, I no longer watch MLB Baseball.

Reaction Score
Just like in football, there is a considerable difference in skill level and style of play between the two levels. College teams don't have the skill up and down the roster and Pros can't (and frankly don't have to) run the motion for 82+ 48 minute games per season.

The end objective is the same (put the ball through the ring for a higher score than your opponent), but the means is quite different.
True but it's not like it's a completely different sport - still hoops at the end of the day. I guess I just don't follow what people would find so objectionable about the nba, while being basketball people.

I could see tuning out the regular season (not unlike most pro sports frankly) but playoffs have been awesome

Husky25

Reaction Score
True but it's not like it's a completely different sport - still hoops at the end of the day. I guess I just don't follow what people would find so objectionable about the nba, while being basketball people.

I could see tuning out the regular season (not unlike most pro sports frankly) but playoffs have been awesome
I just told you, but you pulled an, "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln. How was the play?"

Another thing about the NBA on this board is that most people are either Knicks or Celtics fans. The Knicks have been awful and while the Cs have been competent and have made a few conference Finals, there hasn't been much promise that they were truly contenders. People like to see their teams have a chance to win, which brings us to my final point on the matter.

NBA superstars seem to be pampered babies and choose the easiest path to a championship. They absolutely have the right to move around and earn the most they can negotiate, but the championships have grown hollow. I grew up on the 80s-90s NBA where players and cities were synonymous, a foul was a foul, and a violation was a violation. It does not feel that way anymore.

Reaction Score
I just told you, but you pulled an, "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln. How was the play?"

Another thing about the NBA on this board is that most people are either Knicks or Celtics fans. The Knicks have been awful and while the Cs have been competent and have made a few conference Finals, there hasn't been much promise that they were truly contenders. People like to see their teams have a chance to win, which brings us to my final point on the matter.

NBA superstars seem to be pampered babies and choose the easiest path to a championship. They absolutely have the right to move around and earn the most they can negotiate, but the championships have grown hollow. I grew up on the 80s-90s NBA where players and cities were synonymous, a foul was a foul, and a violation was a violation. It does not feel that way anymore.
Ya I don't follow. Sounds like it's actually more of an objection to the players themselves on some personal level, and not what happens on the court

Husky25

Reaction Score
Ya I don't follow. Sounds like it's actually more of an objection to the players themselves on some personal level, and not what happens on the court
So you glossed right over this?
there is a considerable difference in skill level and style of play between the two levels. College teams don't have the skill up and down the roster and Pros can't (and frankly don't have to) run the motion for 82+ 48 minute games per season.

Be your misinterpretation as it may, I don't know how else to explain my view. Not to mention that I said the last post would be my last on the matter, so think whatever you wish.

Reaction Score
I know a bunch of guys who are like this too, love college basketball but hate the NBA. They've talked this way for over 10 years, same with the older generation (my dad's friends.) The style of play has changed over those years so I don't really think it's a style of play issue.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

the lack of travels, carries, etc hurt

the absurd amount of superstar treatment makes it border on wwe

the way they neuter many big men with awful rules and even worse officiating

the atrocious-ness of NBA officiating in general…

its rough

Reaction Score

its rough
NBA refs are light years ahead of college refs.

Husky25

Reaction Score

its rough
...But other than that, what's the issue?

Reaction Score
NBA refs are light years ahead of college refs.
Exactly... that's what I mean, if those are the issues with the nba then I would think you would really hate college hoops- college officiating is a serious problem. Some of these playoffs series have been unbelievable, I just don't get how you could say its unwatchable if you like basketball. But to each their own - I won't continue to belabor the debate - no offense intended to Husky25 - I was responding moreso to the guy who said he hasn't watched since the 80s

Reaction Score

My sense is that in 2021 a HUGE component of people's dislike for the NBA is the players themselves on a personal level. People make that clear on here all the time.

My biggest issue with the NBA is that the players are just so much less fundamentally sound than college players.

Reaction Score

the Q

Reaction Score
Yeah I can't imagine someone saying that the officiating in the NBA is a problem relative to college.

Remember this?

And those are some of the most highly regarded college refs (for what reason I have no idea.)

Yeah NBA officials never have anything egregiously bad Happen…

the Q

Reaction Score
Yeah I can't imagine someone saying that the officiating in the NBA is a problem relative to college.

Remember this?

And those are some of the most highly regarded college refs (for what reason I have no idea.)

Or shady …..borderline corrupt and way worse than sac/lal in 2002:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger