April Transfer thread | Page 28 | The Boneyard

April Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I thought there was a no sit out blanket for next season.
I believe the 'first transfer' rule still applies for this year unless you are a graduate.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I thought there was a no sit out blanket for next season.
Well, that applies to a "one-time" transfer. I took that to mean that a player who has already transferred before as an undergraduate would not be granted immediate eligibility under this new policy if they transfer a second time as an undergraduate. Maybe I have the wrong understanding.

Reaction Score
Mikesell is a bit of a surprise. Graves seemed to think that his roster was solid for next season. Now looking at 10 total. This reduces the guards to Paopao, Scherr, and incoming frosh Taylor Bigby with seven bigs if you count Parrish at 6’2”. He might be okay with it though. Dugalic will certainly see time at the 3 so Parrish can rotate to the 2 as needed. Not sure he is searching the portal now. May go with 10.
Bigby should definitely get playing time now, she will likely bring a different guard dynamic to the Duck team. Oregon was also one of the final three schools for 2021 Marshall, maybe she will reconsider Oregon with the USC coach now being out.

Reaction Score

This type of action (without knowing specifics of course) is why I am less than a fan of the transfer culture that is in the sport now. She made a decision to leave Maryland and it could very well have been for the best. Now after one year she's leaving Oregon. She was granted a waiver before the NCAA issued the blanket rule so her reasons could be strong but to now leave again makes it look like she doesn't know what she wants. That may not be the accurate story but if a person keeps changing jobs from one year to the next the question must be asked what is going on with that individual. Employers tend not to be overly gracious in such circumstances.

Reaction Score
I never understood why she left in the first place.

Maybe she thought with Sabrina and company leaving, she would be the main scorer. But she already played and scored a lot at Maryland. Maryland was losing a lot to graduation too so if she stayed maybe her role would have been even bigger? In the end some of these transfers seem to be done without a lot of thought but especially last years with COVID none of these transfers even visited these schools.

Reaction Score
Maybe she thought with Sabrina and company leaving, she would be the main scorer. But she already played and scored a lot at Maryland. Maryland was losing a lot to graduation too so if she stayed maybe her role would have been even bigger? In the end some of these transfers seem to be done without a lot of thought but especially last years with COVID none of these transfers even visited these schools.
I always thought it had something to do with wanting to be more of a point guard and she couldn’t with Owusu on the team.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
I always thought it had something to do with wanting to be more of a point guard and she couldn’t with Owusu on the team.
On the contrary, I believe Mikesell didn't want to play PG. The more she plays off the ball, the more she opportunities she has to spot up for 3's, catch, and shoot, which is her biggest strength. She had to play PG a lot for Maryland in the '19-'20 season because Owusu was turnover prone and foul prone earlier in the season. So Stephanie Jones replaced Owusu in the starting line-up midway through last season, which meant Mikesell had to run the point until Owusu subbed in. This was working well for Maryland in the latter half of the season, but it cut into Mikesell's shooting numbers and rhythm.

Reaction Score
On the contrary, I believe Mikesell didn't want to play PG. The more she plays off the ball, the more she opportunities she has to spot up for 3's, catch, and shoot, which is her biggest strength. She had to play PG a lot for Maryland in the '19-'20 season because Owusu was turnover prone and foul prone earlier in the season. So Stephanie Jones replaced Owusu in the starting line-up midway through last season, which meant Mikesell had to run the point until Owusu subbed in. This was working well for Maryland in the latter half of the season, but it cut into Mikesell's shooting numbers and rhythm.
No she has blatantly stated that she wanted to be a pg on several occasions. That’s why she transferred. And when Pao Pao went down with an injury she still was not the pg so I think she wants to play a position that’s not best suited for her

Reaction Score
No she has blatantly stated that she wanted to be a pg on several occasions. That’s why she transferred. And when Pao Pao went down with an injury she still was not the pg so I think she wants to play a position that’s not best suited for her
Agreed if she sees herself in the WNBA, she would have a longer career showing she can play point guard, instead of just a catch and shoot player.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Doesn't fit the mold.
Triad - ever since you changed your profile picture, I detect an edge of anger and peevishness in all your posts :eek:
Not sure if it is the power of suggestion leading me down the wrong path, or if you are not getting your required gastronomic delights? :rolleyes::cool:

Reaction Score
South Carolina could use her.
Not that Mikesell can't play defense -- she has decent length -- but she'd probably need to be a 45% 3-point shooter for Dawn to give her significant PT. She's not the kind of athlete SC has recruited at the guard position.

Reaction Score
Not that Mikesell can't play defense -- she has decent length -- but she'd probably need to be a 45% 3-point shooter for Dawn to give her significant PT. She's not the kind of athlete SC has recruited at the guard position.

Dawn did sign the shooter from Penn State a few years ago and Mikesell plays a little D, so it's a possibility. I don't think she had to lead the nation in percentage to be helpful.

I kind of doubt South Carolina would be in it, but it's one of the few I'm a little intrigued by.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

I've been pondering this quite a bit today (it's a slow day in the library...).

Anyone think there is a possibility Mikesell ends up at Sac State with Campbell and Lopez? She and DeCosta (if DeCosta plays...) could really make some noise in the Big Sky and have that program turn a quick 180.

Reaction Score
I've been pondering this quite a bit today (it's a slow day in the library...).

Anyone think there is a possibility Mikesell ends up at Sac State with Campbell and Lopez? She and DeCosta (if DeCosta plays...) could really make some noise in the Big Sky and have that program turn a quick 180.

Isn't she from Ohio? She's tried both coasts, maybe try the middle this time.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Yeah... but she's a shooter. I don't see one on your roster.

Triad - ever since you changed your profile picture, I detect an edge of anger and peevishness in all your posts :eek:
Not sure if it is the power of suggestion leading me down the wrong path, or if you are not getting your required gastronomic delights? :rolleyes::cool:

Haven't had any real desserts in a bit... passed up on some delights last week... and cheesecake yesterday, so maybe that has something to do with it. I did pick up a slice of Dutch Apple Pie, and a slice of German Chocolate Pie this afternoon..... so perhaps that will help with the edginess. :oops:

Reaction Score
Yeah... but she's a shooter. I don't see one on your roster.

Haven't had any real desserts in a bit... passed up on some delights last week... and cheesecake yesterday, so maybe that has something to do with it. I did pick up a slice of Dutch Apple Pie, and a slice of German Chocolate Pie this afternoon..... so perhaps that will help with the edginess. :oops:

Henderson shot 41% on 99 attempts and Cooke shot 39% on 122 attempts compared to Mikesell shooting 33% on 117 three point attempts, so I'm not sure I necessarily agree with your literal post, but maybe I kind of agree with you in a general kind of way?

I'll just agree to Mikesell plus Nalyssa Smith from the portal and we'll see how it turns out then.

Reaction Score
I disagree with those who said Mikesell would have been better off staying at Maryland. Benzan was the top 3 pt shooter in college last year hitting 93 three pointers at a 50% clip. That would have put Mikesell on the bench if she had stayed at Maryland. Plus, Benzan is a much better ball handler and defender, her lateral movement is way better than Mikesell’s.

IMO, Mikesell made the right move leaving Maryland. Mikesell lost 5 minutes per game from her freshman year to sophomore. She would have lost 10 more minutes per game if she stayed. I think Mikesell would go to a school where she would get 30+ minutes per game to try to develop her game to impress the WNBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom