April Transfer thread | Page 17 | The Boneyard

April Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Where did you transfer from? There are different "conference" rules regarding transfers. The sit out year is also only applicable to a few sports Football, Men's and Women's basketball. I don't recall Tennis being one of those sports.
Actually, it was if your previous school refused to release you. Allow me to spit sour grapes over Softball, a few years back Arizona got a transfer from a California (non-P5) school whose (Asst.) Coach happened to be an ex UCLA Bruin. They refused to release her and she sat for a year to gain eligibility. And had a respectable showing with Arizona thereafter.

It is part of the legendary Arizona / UCLA feud.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Actually, it was if your previous school refused to release you. Allow me to spit sour grapes over Softball, a few years back Arizona got a transfer from a California (non-P5) school whose (Asst.) Coach happened to be an ex UCLA Bruin. They refused to release her and she sat for a year to gain eligibility. And had a respectable showing with Arizona thereafter.

For WCBB, maybe some other sports too, those were the old operating rules. Under the new reules and since the advent of the portal it is no longer to "block" a player from transferring or even preventing them from landing at a specific school. Once a player decides he wants to transfer the university has 24 hours to enter the name into portal. Once in the Portal there are no further restrictions and a SA may chose to not transfer. Any school wih an available scholarship is free to contact the player once in the portal.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score

Arizona State did the same with a softball transfer to Oregon. And, in this case, the player hadn't even played a game forth Sun Devils. She's currently a starter in Eugene.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Arizona State did the same with a softball transfer to Oregon. And, in this case, the player hadn't even played a game forth Sun Devils. She's currently a starter in Eugene.
That, at least, was in conference, even if not so nice. The Arizona situation there was no reason to think the teams would ever play each other and they still blocked her from immediate eligibility.

Yes, @CocoHusky those were indeed the old rules as you say. The difference between the major sports and lesser were the issue of "mandatory year sit-out unless given an NCAA waiver" vs. "sit-out if not released by prior school". Plus, of course, conference rules - at one time in SEC WBB you had to sit out 2 years if you transferred in conference IIRC.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Those are 2 different style of play wow

Rutgers isn't as slow as they used to be. This year they scored over 75 points per game, which is way better than most college teams. Now without Guirantes and Diamond Johnson maybe they go back to being bad on offense but that is different than purposely slowing the game down.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
With the transfers of Diamond Johnson and Zippy Broughton, RU needed experience in the backcourt. This looks like the answer for now.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Who woulda thunk -- a NYC to College Station pipline? Wonder if there is a connection to Jordan Nixon who might know Ms. Hoppie via the HS and/or AAU scene in "the city?"
Staten Island is more like Alabama, though.

Reaction Score

And here I thought she was going to try to be closer to her long-term boyfriend on the FB coaching staff at Illinois!

Reaction Score
The problem with the one time transfer is your top schools will just recruit the best players from everyone else.

Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Oklahoma and a few others in football will just get stronger and stronger when they can recruit the best from everyone else. And that is dangerous for every athletic department, since football pays the bills. If you develop players for 2 years just to have them leave for a "blue blood" then how do you keep fans invested.

I feel bad for the G5 in all sports, may as well call them the college D League.

Reaction Score
This is going to hurt the marginal HS students who hope to get a scholarship to a major school. The great players will still be pursued by the best. The marginal players will have to sign with a school on a "show me" deal and hope they play well enough to attract the big name schools later in their career.

Reaction Score
The problem with the one time transfer is your top schools will just recruit the best players from everyone else.

Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Oklahoma and a few others in football will just get stronger and stronger when they can recruit the best from everyone else. And that is dangerous for every athletic department, since football pays the bills. If you develop players for 2 years just to have them leave for a "blue blood" then how do you keep fans invested.

I feel bad for the G5 in all sports, may as well call them the college D League.
I feel the same way. The blue bloods in all sports will get better. Poaching will be even more prominent. Truly a one year sit out from competition wasn’t a bad thing from the perspective of adjusting to a new school and coaches. I suspect there will be many solid mid level players who jump to the big names after good starts to a career to chase championships and get their name more noticed by professionals. Even mid level P5 programs in football and M&W basketball will feel this and not in good ways.

Reaction Score
And here I thought she was going to try to be closer to her long-term boyfriend on the FB coaching staff at Illinois!

Legit question, but I wonder if Illinois WBB coaches even know about this connection? Did they follow Mason on Twitter or something that would at least show interest? This seemed like a good match based on what you said. Although, if Mason really wanted to go there maybe she would have reached out to them, unless she already had a lot of suitors and wasn't going to wait on Illinois.

Reaction Score
Legit question, but I wonder if Illinois WBB coaches even know about this connection? Did they follow Mason on Twitter or something that would at least show interest? This seemed like a good match based on what you said. Although, if Mason really wanted to go there maybe she would have reached out to them, unless she already had a lot of suitors and wasn't going to wait on Illinois.
Yeah, I have to figure that the connections were there if she wanted them. ?‍♂️

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I think the Big 12 was the only remaining conference who had this rule for intra-conference transfers losing one season of eligibility :

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Danielle Cosgrove of ND has entered the portal
I have a soft spot in my heart because she is a former Philly Belle and when last heard from had taken a leave of absence from ND WBB to focus on her mental health. She is clearly a talented basketball player and as a Long Island NY native will have her choice of nearby colleges to pick from. Good luck to her in her basketball journey and my continued prayers that she prevails in that other much more important struggle. @triaddukefan Kara have any room down there for Another One?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Danielle Cosgrove of ND has entered the portal

Danielle took a leave of absence during the first semester and came back in February for scant action from there on in. Unfortunately, this transfer is not particularly surprising. She was recruited by Muffet McGuire as a stretch 4, to bomb away in the modified Princeton offense. Unfortunately, when Sam Brunelle showed up in 2020, that distance-shooting forward slot was pretty much taken and Cosgrove never really developed her inside game, either on offense or defense.

She's a Long Islander. Her dad played at Hofstra. Maybe head to Hempstead? Or join former Irish teammate Danielle Patterson at St. John's in Queens? Her hometown in Suffolk County, Holbrook, is a quick shot up/down Nichol's Road from Stony Brook U. Or other Big East teams -- Seton Hall, Villanova (she did play for the Phily Belles). Supposedly a good person: wish her the best.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01