April Transfer thread | Page 16 | The Boneyard

April Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
D1 Council meeting today and tomorrow:

I've been not shy about saying that while I believe student athletes have the right to transfer wherever they want, I believe the one year sit out rule should be in place. A waiver should only occur in rare and extreme cases. The NCAA has opened pandoras box granting waivers to some and denying others. They can solve this by making all transfers sit for one year and not simply turning every off season into a free for all, which is what will happen.

This isn't being done to benefit the students, it's being pushed by the schools who want to poach athletes from programs and build rosters quickly with lower risk-rewards.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Great signing by Nebraska. The Big 10 could have 7 teams ranked in the preseason Top 25 poll.
Wait, what? Are you saying that NEBRASKA will be ranked in the Top 25 next year? No way. I am not convinced Amy Williams has that kind of talent nor coaching acumen to be in the Top 25 next year. nor do I think the Big10 has 7 teams to warrant that either. Who are these 7 that you refer? Maryland, Indiana, Michigan and Iowa are very probable. Rutgers is not, MSU is not, tOSU is not, so I just don't see it. What am I missing.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The problem I have with the sit-out waiver is that there are a lot of reasons to grant a waiver, but a lot of it needed to be kept private, and that meant it always seemed very arbitrary. And given the NCAA track record most believed it was arbitrary/political/a joke and created inequality.

I actually like the idea of a single free, non-sit-out year in women's basketball - basically saying, OK, you made a mistake, we'll give you a do over, but only one, so get it right this time. A second transfer will cost you a year of eligibility or a year on the pine - your choice. And no waivers the second time around.

In men's sports ... ugh - it creates a farm system out of the non-P5 schools and will absolutely hurt the competitive landscape - the non P5 star players can do a year of marketing at a powerhouse before entering the NBA draft for example.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Wait, what? Are you saying that NEBRASKA will be ranked in the Top 25 next year? No way. I am not convinced Amy Williams has that kind of talent nor coaching acumen to be in the Top 25 next year. nor do I think the Big10 has 7 teams to warrant that either. Who are these 7 that you refer? Maryland, Indiana, Michigan and Iowa are very probable. Rutgers is not, MSU is not, tOSU is not, so I just don't see it. What am I missing.
Northwestern, Rutgers, & Michigan State all received votes in the final coaches poll. Probable? No. Possible? yes.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I've been not shy about saying that while I believe student athletes have the right to transfer wherever they want, I believe the one year sit out rule should be in place. A waiver should only occur in rare and extreme cases. The NCAA has opened pandoras box granting waivers to some and denying others. They can solve this by making all transfers sit for one year and not simply turning every off season into a free for all, which is what will happen.

This isn't being done to benefit the students, it's being pushed by the schools who want to poach athletes from programs and build rosters quickly with lower risk-rewards.
Let's look at the "big picture"-there are 5 sports that required the 1 year in residency, Men's and Women's basketball, Football, Men's Ice Hockey and Baseball. All the other sports allow student athletes to transfer without exception. As the residency had been so restrictive and with the extra year of eligibility granted, there is a flood gate for the two main sports of Men's and Women's basketball. I haven't seen the numbers for football but do suspect that is less due to less D1 men's teams. I suspect it will subside a bit after next year.

The problem I have is what to do with a student who plays for a school, transfers, plays for another school, gets hurt, sits a year (or just sits a year due the current transfer rule), graduates and then transfers again to a 3rd school for a year. I think after the second school, all transfers should have to sit a year even if you did graduate as that next "goal" of grad school is to be considered for your educational effort, not a free ride to play. Dorka would qualify to play as she had not transferred previously, however Anastasia Hayes from Tennessee to Middle Tennessee to Mississippi State should have to sit a year. In other words, you get 1 free pass but after that, you must sit.

That would severely limit all these excessive transfers and show more integrity for the "grad student" transfer.

Reaction Score
Let's look at the "big picture"-there are 5 sports that required the 1 year in residency, Men's and Women's basketball, Football, Men's Ice Hockey and Baseball. All the other sports allow student athletes to transfer without exception. As the residency had been so restrictive and with the extra year of eligibility granted, there is a flood gate for the two main sports of Men's and Women's basketball. I haven't seen the numbers for football but do suspect that is less due to less D1 men's teams. I suspect it will subside a bit after next year.

The problem I have is what to do with a student who plays for a school, transfers, plays for another school, gets hurt, sits a year (or just sits a year due the current transfer rule), graduates and then transfers again to a 3rd school for a year. I think after the second school, all transfers should have to sit a year even if you did graduate as that next "goal" of grad school is to be considered for your educational effort, not a free ride to play. Dorka would qualify to play as she had not transferred previously, however Anastasia Hayes from Tennessee to Middle Tennessee to Mississippi State should have to sit a year. In other words, you get 1 free pass but after that, you must sit.

That would severely limit all these excessive transfers and show more integrity for the "grad student" transfer.
That's not a bad idea and one that does meet in the middle. I still don't agree with the one free transfer idea but that's just because I'm old school. It would be better than just "you get a transfer, you get a transfer, we all get transfers".

I get irritated when I hear the "punishing the student" line. The transferring student in on scholarship, gets to practice with the team, take part in activities, get all the academic and social support the other players do, they just can't play in games for one year. That's not a punishment, it's a part of transferring. When I enrolled at MSU I had a partial scholarship based on my high school GPA and ACT score. I did well at MSU, between a 3.5 and 3.6 somewhere and kept the scholarship the entire time. Had I chosen to transfer to Auburn, which arguably has a stronger engineering school, no one would have stopped me but I would not have received any institutional money. When I hear that "we don't punish the non athletic students that transfer" that's largely because the tuition is being paid by the student or their families, loans, etc. (sorry, rant over).

The grad transfer rule has definitely been exploited and yes we benefited from Anriel Howard but I know it had little to do with academics and the large majority of them don't. . I honestly expect the NCAA to blow the doors open and create de facto free agency even more than before because there is "pressure" (from whom no one knows but there is always this faceless pressure).

Reaction Score
Damn Kara is doing her best Wyclef Jean imitation and assembling Refugee All-stars.

Not that we needed the BY Census to confirm this, but don't make that reference on the main board. :)

Reaction Score
Damn Kara is doing her best Wyclef Jean imitation and assembling Refugee All-stars. She grabbed from
Louisville, Texas Tech, Texas, & Syracuse.
I can hear the "Ready or Not" chorus in my head now.
Not that we needed the BY Census to confirm this, but don't make that reference on the main board. :)
Why?

Reaction Score

I’m not sure if the rules have changed, but when I transferred to DePaul in tennis, I wasn’t just able to transfer and play. My previous school had to sign off on it. Otherwise I would have had to sit out a year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I’m not sure if the rules have changed, but when I transferred to DePaul in tennis, I wasn’t just able to transfer and play. My previous school had to sign off on it. Otherwise I would have had to sit out a year.
Where did you transfer from? There are different "conference" rules regarding transfers. The sit out year is also only applicable to a few sports Football, Men's and Women's basketball. I don't recall Tennis being one of those sports.

Reaction Score
Volleyball players don't have to sit a year when they transfer and it has not hurt their game. Why should it be different with basketball players? If they want to transfer let them transfer.
Do volleyball players do a lot of transferring?

Reaction Score
Do volleyball players do a lot of transferring?
Yes.

And there have been some barriers to transfers within conference (mandatory 1-year sit outs, for example), though those, too, have been inconsistently waived. Now we're seeing conferences do away with those policies.

Reaction Score
Oregon likely to hold with current roster for ‘21-‘22 per Kelly Graves interview with Erik Scopil, 247 Sports:
"I think we’ve got the right mix. I think the smaller roster will help," Graves said. "I like what I have. I think this is a group I can develop."

Chavez and Shelley were the final two players to play alongside the likes of Sabrina Ionescu, Ruthy Hebard and Satou Sabally in 2019-20. Graves communicated an understanding for both players' decisions, but said it was always tough to see players move on.

"I think everybody who was around the program saw what was happening, and the reality is that they just wanted to play more," he said of the two players' choice to leave. "They didn’t feel like that was going to be the case at Oregon. I think they enjoyed their experiences here, at least that’s what they said. I think it really came down to wanting a better fit somewhere else.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger