Andre Jackson Testing the NBA Draft Waters: ESPN | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Andre Jackson Testing the NBA Draft Waters: ESPN

Reaction Score
16/25 is not good in an empty gym by D1 standards, let alone NBA standards. It's actually pretty bad. I could shoot 60% from deep from 3 alone in the gym in college, and I was a horrible D2 player who never played more than 5 minutes a game.
Ok, understand. Yet no one in the 64% isn't good enough camp has given us a #. B/c it is much easier to just say not good enough than to say 2 more shots out of 25 would be good b/c that is patently ridiculous. Also he is obviously not alone (you are exaggerating to try to make your point) and there are eyeballs watching that happen to bring the pressure of millions of dollars at stake. THAT MATTERS!

The NBA 3 is deeper than the college, Andre struggled shooting the college 3, this is a positive sign. I agree not an order winner, but its an order qualifier which is really what we are talking about. I mean are UConn fans really arguing AJ doesn't have the potential to make an impact on the NBA level?!

Reaction Score
Ok, understand. Yet no one in the 64% isn't good enough camp has given us a #. B/c it is much easier to just say not good enough than to say 2 more shots out of 25 would be good b/c that is patently ridiculous. Also he is obviously not alone (you are exaggerating to try to make your point) and there are eyeballs watching that happen to bring the pressure of millions of dollars at stake. THAT MATTERS!

The NBA 3 is deeper than the college, Andre struggled shooting the college 3, this is a positive sign. I agree not an order winner, but its an order qualifier which is really what we are talking about. I mean are UConn fans really arguing AJ doesn't have the potential to make an impact on the NBA level?!

There is no number, because it's a 25 shot sample on broken form. Show me the number on 1000 shots and we can talk. Better yet, show me live drills at max speed after a workout.

The reality is that in the eyes of the league, he's a 0 3PA per game guy without a total rebuild. This drill is part of the combine, but ultimately meaningless for his draft position.

I don't think anyone is hoping Andre can't compete in the league. I see people setting realistic expectations for his draftability and role. I think he can make millions as a bench leader, defender, rebounder, passer and energy guy and take a few years to develop a passable shot in the meantime.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There is no number, because it's a 25 shot sample on broken form. Show me the number on 1000 shots and we can talk. Better yet, show me live drills at max speed after a workout.

I don't think anyone is hoping Andre can't compete in the league. I see people setting realistic expectations for his draftability and role.
Understand, I agree Andre is not a good jump shooter and I don't expect him to make a high % of NBA 3's in games - at least not right away (ie. summer league would be very surprising if he shot better than college % from NBA three).

Yet, the people who get paid and have actual jobs to scout, evaluate and draft NBA players ARE USING THIS DRILL TO ASSESS HIS ABILITIES. And there are plenty of stories good and bad of players that wow'd in workouts that resulted in getting picked by teams.

It isn't everything, it doesn't change his college stats, it also matters some.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
This is not broken. If I’m a shot coach I see a ton of potential here … you get him to work on not starting from below his waist and he’ll improve immediately. An NBA team watching his interviews and knowing his work ethic would be crazy to not want to take a flyer on this kid.
Give us an example of someone out of the 80 players at the combine who’s shot you don’t see potential in

Reaction Score
I guess they all suck as AJ was also in the top 4 in the 3-point star drill (also 16/25) as well as tied for 4th in the spot up shooting drill (16/25 again). AJ has been better than average in many skills. The surprise was the low standing vertical. The NBA certainly doesn't spend time to hype the combine. Finding the data is a twitter maze. Seems like a lost opportunity.

Reaction Score
I guess they all suck as AJ was also in the top 4 in the 3-point star drill (also 16/25) as well as tied for 4th in the spot up shooting drill (16/25 again). AJ has been better than average in many skills. The surprise was the low standing vertical. The NBA certainly doesn't spend time to hype the combine. Finding the data is a twitter maze. Seems like a lost opportunity.

LOL! Exactly...I wonder which "great shooters" underperformed...maybe it isn't actually "easy" to make 80% on 3's in an empty gym (with a bunch of scouts and NBA executives watching)

And any scout that has seen AJ in-game knows that his leaping ability and athleticism is in the top 99% so that's not some big draft decision dealbreaker...

Reaction Score

Combine stopped being hyped up when the big name stars stopped going.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
LOL! Exactly...I wonder which "great shooters" underperformed...maybe it isn't actually "easy" to make 80% on 3's in an empty gym (with a bunch of scouts and NBA executives watching)

And any scout that has seen AJ in-game knows that his leaping ability and athleticism is in the top 99% so that's not some big draft decision dealbreaker...
Your second paragraph is the point. Any scout that has seen Andre play knows he’s not a shooter. A small sample size in an empty gym is prob not going to have much effect on that. Similarly, any scout that’s watched him play is not stressing what his combine vertical measurement is.

Reaction Score
They prob don’t promote it cause a lot of it is crap & a formality. Individual workouts, game tape & interviews are prob a ridiculously weighted portion of these guys draft-ability

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Give us an example of someone out of the 80 players at the combine who’s shot you don’t see potential in
Some are acting like he’s got an unfixable shot. There have been plenty of recent cases of players that just could not figure it out or have struggled to figure it out (Fultz, Simmons the most famous). All I’m saying is I think he’s starting from a place that’s a heck of a lot better than where the Ball brothers were and the kid is a workaholic.

Reaction Score
Your second paragraph is the point. Any scout that has seen Andre play knows he’s not a shooter. A small sample size in an empty gym is prob not going to have much effect on that. Similarly, any scout that’s watched him play is not stressing what his combine vertical measurement is.
When a guy is a borderline 1st/2nd rounder showing any skill that goes beyond the expected has value.

Reaction Score
Some are acting like he’s got an unfixable shot. There have been plenty of recent cases of players that just could not figure it out or have struggled to figure it out (Fultz, Simmons the most famous). All I’m saying is I think he’s starting from a place that’s a heck of a lot better than where the Ball brothers were and the kid is a workaholic.

Did you watch the Ball brothers play in high school?

Reaction Score
I guess I'm off in my thinking again. Andre's shot and form looked much better than I expected. As opposed to seeing a practice 16/25 I saw a "show out and you make millions" type pressure on his "empty gym" effort.
I would guage the pressure on Andre as being more than the "fun" 3 point shooting contest at the NBA all star game. The record for makes are 21/25 done twice by Craig Hodges and if you got 19/25 you are in top 10 all time (and that's a lot of rounds of shooting by the very best over about 40 years).
So I see his 16/25 as a big plus. Am I comparing the right stats (see below) where super shooter Grady Dick also was 16/25? No one thinks Andre can shoot like Houston's Sasser but Marcus is an outlier according to the stats shown below.

1684251776208.png

Reaction Score
I'm far from being a talent evaluator for the NBA but even I know 16-25 on uncontested 3's is horrible.
Whoops, care to amend your comment after seeing the actual results? We've got 1 guy above horrible!
I do agree with the first part of your sentence. I'll hang up and listen.

Reaction Score
I guess I'm off in my thinking again. Andre's shot and form looked much better than I expected. As opposed to seeing a practice 16/25 I saw a "show out and you make millions" type pressure on his "empty gym" effort.
I would guage the pressure on Andre as being more than the "fun" 3 point shooting contest at the NBA all star game. The record for makes are 21/25 done twice by Craig Hodges and if you got 19/25 you are in top 10 all time (and that's a lot of rounds of shooting by the very best over about 40 years).
So I see his 16/25 as a big plus. Am I comparing the right stats (see below) where super shooter Grady Dick also was 16/25? No one thinks Andre can shoot like Houston's Sasser but Marcus is an outlier according to the stats shown below.

View attachment 88246
to that point, here is the final (i think?) leaderboard:

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Combine stopped being hyped up when the big name stars stopped going.
Correct me if im wrong, but I think all the top players go now.. Saw an article somewhere. I think Wemby only one not in attendance due to his team being in the playoffs?

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom