Andre Jackson Testing the NBA Draft Waters: ESPN | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Andre Jackson Testing the NBA Draft Waters: ESPN

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He's had game reps for 3 years now with no discernable improvement in his scoring ability.

Rule #1 of learning to score is higher volume is only a good thing if you have a repeatable form with enough arc (Andre does not). Otherwise you're just reinforcing bad habits.
If whoever drafts him thinks he needs game reps, he'll be in the G League. That's still better competition than college. But he will be a professional basketball player. It's his job. Not a student-athlete. 100% focused on it all the time. If he's going to improve, it's much more likely to happen in the NBA than at UConn.

Reaction Score
He's had game reps for 3 years now with no discernable improvement in his scoring ability.

Rule #1 of learning to score is higher volume is only a good thing if you have a repeatable form with enough arc (Andre does not). Otherwise you're just reinforcing bad habits.

Another, it's impossible for a player to improve post. These posts have proven to be incorrect time after time. Yet, they keep coming back year after year about player after player.

Reaction Score
Smart kid. Think he needs another year to work on his shooting, do that and he makes more money in the long run.
True, but you gotta strike when the iron is hot. If chosen in first round, he's gotta go.

Reaction Score
Another, it's impossible for a player to improve post. These posts have proven to be incorrect time after time. Yet, they keep coming back year after year about player after player.

Don't be an idiot. You're embarassing yourself more than usual.

I 100% believe that players can improve. Skill training was my job for 6 years.

When a player has been in a specific environment for 3 years with no discernable improvement in shooting (a skill he's been working on religiously), the obvious answer is you need to change the environment to have to have the best chance of changing the skill.

Maybe Andre is simply incapable of developing a shot. Maybe Hurley and Co. are terrible shooting coaches. We don't know. But Andre can't change who he is. The independent variable available now is to change his environment. Everything else has been tried.

Whether you like it or not, the reality is that college programs have limited resources for individual skill development. The coaches are working on everything from recruiting, scouting OOC opponents, to drawing up new plays for next season. An NBA team has dudes whose ONLY job it is to develop individual skill with no practice time restrictions or classes to get in the way.

Reaction Score
Don't be an idiot. You're embarassing yourself more than usual.

When a player has been in a specific environment for 3 years with no discernable improvement in shooting (a skill he's been working on religiously), the obvious answer is you need to change the environment to have to have the best chance of changing the skill.

Maybe Andre is simply incapable of developing a shot. Maybe Hurley and Co. are terrible shooting coaches. We don't know. But Andre can't change who he is. The independent variable available now is to change his environment. Everything else has been tried.

Whether you like it or not, the reality is that college programs have limited resources for individual skill development. The coaches are working on everything from recruiting, scouting OOC opponents, to drawing up new plays for next season. An NBA team has dudes whose ONLY job it is to develop individual skill with no practice time restrictions or classes to get in the way.

Excellent name calling. But your post was clear and you just doubled down on it.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

I know you’re not going to respond to this, but 2 of those years he had very little opportunity to score because he never was aggressive enough or trusted enough to do so by his teammates, reasonably.

This year was the first year he was legit able to fail until he got better and more confident and again, it wasn’t until the end of the year where he figured it out and became a legit scoring threat.

Again, my worry is that his time in the NBA is going to be spent like his first two years here not improving his offensive game because he’s just not aggressive enough. No one is going to put the team in his hands either like they would here as a late first, early 2nd rounder.

Reaction Score
On his pod, San Vecenie used Andre Jackson as an example of how NBA teams don't really use the combine for box score purposes, it's more about seeing how you fit in and play within a new framework.

He said he played fine, that his feel and awareness came through despite only scoring a couple points in both games. But the implication is only that he played fine, not great, because he didn't really show any new skills or attributes to NBA evaluators. More of the same which is good enough for borderline 1st/2nd.

Reaction Score
Screen Shot 2023-05-19 at 11.19.42 AM.png

Reaction Score
Love this kid so much. All I care about is him making it in the NBA.
Selfishly I want to see the unbelievable things he can do out there for another season. You just know there 3-5 highlight level reels every game he's in, but financially I really want him to cash in. If he's not first round what is the NIL staying at Uconn income vs whatever league he ends up in?

Reaction Score
Selfishly I want to see the unbelievable things he can do out there for another season. You just know there 3-5 highlight level reels every game he's in, but financially I really want him to cash in. If he's not first round what is the NIL staying at Uconn income vs whatever league he ends up in?

Me too because I just have a lot of doubts about him succeeding. If he's here, he'll be a 10-8-6 guy and go down as one of our most unique players ever (he already is, but another year...). The idea of him wallowing in the G-League on two-ways just kinda sucks.

People keep on saying with the NBA spacing he'll be a better scorer etc., but I actually think the opposite. The level of athleticism jumps enormously and a good pro would dare him to shoot at all times much like some of the teams did this year. As skilled as he is, he's entering a different universe of skill and expecting him to drive and dish effectively I think becomes quite diminished. So then what does he bring to the table offensively?

Reaction Score

I mentioned this when discussing Bouk. One of the reasons why he's floundering in the league is the only way he knows how to play is as a primary-scoring top-dog. And there are only a handful of those guys on the planet.

A team can't have 13 Jayson Tatum's. They need a Grant Williams too, or the team just doesn't work. The barrier to entry in that role is much higher compared to a glue guy, 3&D, or connector. That's why I think Andre could make a splash in the league.

Reaction Score
I think he would have shot better if he didn’t hurt his finger at the beginning of the year…he was a 34% 3 point shooter the year before.. and he worked on his shot during the off season…his shot was off because of his finger early and then lost confidence during the middle of the season…and improved at the end of the season

Reaction Score
I think he would have shot better if he didn’t hurt his finger at the beginning of the year…he was a 34% 3 point shooter the year before.. and he worked on his shot during the off season…his shot was off because of his finger early and then lost confidence during the middle of the season…and improved at the end of the season

It did? He was 4/13 (30%) in the tourney and 8/31 (26%) after we got over our mid-season swoon. Teams dared him to shoot because he knew he couldn't and perhaps worse, he had very little confidence to do so.

Reaction Score
It did? He was 4/13 (30%) in the tourney and 8/31 (26%) after we got over our mid-season swoon. Teams dared him to shoot because he knew he couldn't and perhaps worse, he had very little confidence to do so.

I love it when a 10 second google search proves someone wrong.

Reaction Score
I mentioned this when discussing Bouk. One of the reasons why he's floundering in the league is the only way he knows how to play is as a primary-scoring top-dog. And there are only a handful of those guys on the planet.

A team can't have 13 Jayson Tatum's. They need a Grant Williams too, or the team just doesn't work. The barrier to entry in that role is much higher compared to a glue guy, 3&D, or connector. That's why I think Andre could make a splash in the league.

Of course... But what would Andre be? He's not a 3-D guy. He's not a point guard. He's not a shooter. In my opinion, he could only be effective on a team that has a bunch of scorers around him. But even then, teams will slack off him and double. He'd have to hit some shots and be aggressive or he'd be a liability in a half court set as we saw in the middle of the year. He became super effective when we put the ball in his hands to improvise. But I don't see a team wanting that in the NBA as it will take the ball out of the hands of others.

Reaction Score
Of course... But what would Andre be? He's not a 3-D guy. He's not a point guard. He's not a shooter. In my opinion, he could only be effective on a team that has a bunch of scorers around him. But even then, teams will slack off him and double. He'd have to hit some shots and be aggressive or he'd be a liability in a half court set as we saw in the middle of the year. He became super effective when we put the ball in his hands to improvise. But I don't see a team wanting that in the NBA as it will take the ball out of the hands of others.

Andre is a prototypical connector. I doubt he ever has that ball-dominant role as a starter, but he could be a strong bench leader.

Reaction Score
That players can never improve? That it's impossible for Andre to return to UConn and improve his scoring?

Wow, interesting take.
Exactly. Otherwise why did Hawkins spend so much time working on his shot with Rip last summer if it was pointless?

Reaction Score
Exactly. Otherwise why did Hawkins spend so much time working on his shot with Rip last summer if it was pointless?

You keep saying this, and it keeps being patently false. They spent a couple of afternoons together, no "so much" time. Jordan spent MONTHS with PROFESSIONAL SKILLS TRAINERS to improve his shooting.

I genuinely can't tell if you're a troll or just shockingly obtuse. Either way, bravo.

Reaction Score
Andre is a prototypical connector. I doubt he ever has that ball-dominant role as a starter, but he could be a strong bench leader.

I get the sentiment. But those "connector" guys still have the ability to be a threat. It'll take time for Andre to get there.

Reaction Score
I get the sentiment. But those "connector" guys still have the ability to be a threat. It'll take time for Andre to get there.

You aren't wrong. He's going to need to at least be a minimal scoring threat in the league, but his projected role is clearly as a connector. I think we can fairly say he'll spend his career in the g-league without some development.

Reaction Score
He simply has to get some type of scoring/shooting game if he wants to make it. All these names people are throwing out of great defensive players/connectors/intangibles type players were proven scorers in college...

It's not just that the three point shot is broken, his entire scoring game is broken. His weird little floater seemed to be working a bit better at the end of the season but that's all he has scoring wise. Three point shot is broken, no midrange game to speak of because he can't even get into a standard shot and his finishing on layups is far below average.

It sucks because he's so great at everything else. I can't really think of any 6'6 and under guys in the NBA who play that can't score at all. I'm rooting so hard for him to make it but it's tough to see unless he gets some semblance of a shooting/scoring game.

Reaction Score
That players can never improve? That it's impossible for Andre to return to UConn and improve his scoring?

Wow, interesting take.

Reaction Score

Lots of GLeague guys who got bumped up talk about this. (May be mistaken, but Toscanini -Anderson is one of them I think) NBA is filled with dudes who can score. If you want to get bumped up & stick you’re not goin to be a primary option on the team. Theres lots of lifelong G league guys that score tons of points (Antonio Blakeny a few years ago comes to mind, Jimmer too)

Dudes that make the NBA and stick in that 7/8th and lower role are guys who have a specific skill set they’ve mastered and can bring to a team. (Exceptional rebounder, defensive stopper, etc) Teams prob are worried a little about his scoring, but likely are more scouting him as to what his skill set could bring to their team in a bench capacity.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom